Dr. Appt. - how long is too long to wait?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686
Dr. Appt. - how long is too long to wait?

I go to urgent care, GP, kids' pediatrician, specialists, PT, eye doctor, and dentist. Only 1 keeps me waiting more than 15 mins. The other one? She is consistently 2 hours beyond. This seems like a lot to me in general and especially when compared to the other wait times.

I plan on changing doctors once all my accident injury is done. I just wanted to find out if this is the norm and I should suck it up.

How long is your average visit at various appointments? How long is too long to wait?

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

I would be soooo mad if I had to wait 2 hours for any appointment! And she's regularly that late?? I would definitely switch.

The only exception would be urgent care. I don't really know how that works. If it an emergency room or drop-in scenario, then you might have to wait.

But a scheduled appointment shouldn't be that late, barring some crazy, unforeseen, and rare circumstances.

My average waits are 15 minutes or less. The GP is the only one where I have to wait every once in a while, but I understand their day gets interrupted... Heck, when I'm working at the hospital, I'm often the one calling and interrupting them!

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

2 hours is way too long! The only Dr I have had leave me waiting that long is the OB, and when you look at the fact that he delivers 40+ babies a month, it is understandable. Plus, if he is running more than an hourish behind, his receptionist would always try to get hold of me and inform me or reschedule the appointment for another day. In general, I rarely have to wait more than 15-20 for an appointment. Waiting longer can indicate that he Dr spends extra time with patients, but that should be scheduled for IMO if it is a regular thing. OH, I have also waited for hours for urgent care, walk in clinic type situations.....sometimes if you are not in immediate danger you need to accept you wont be seen first in these situations.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

2 hours?!?! No way in hell I would ever wait that long. Why don't you say something to her when she walks in the room? Ask her why.
I don't wait longer than a few minutes to see my primary. I used to work at the office and I am friends with the CMA and used to work with the doc. That's on of the perks to working in the healthcare field, you build bridges and gain connections.

Now a lot of things go on behind the scenes at doc offices as well, planned and unplanned. 15 min is the popular average but in my experience, 30 minutes is the more realistic average. Also, if you (general) have a grievance with the wait time, just bring it up to the doc. I have yet to hear a patient approach the doc but the patient wastes no time yelling at us peon workers for something that we don't even control. The docs schedule? They make up the template of how they want their schedule to run. If they want it double booked or triple booked, that's their decision. Feedback from patients is what is required to hopefully make changes. We can tell a doc left and right that the schedule is too crazy but they just ignore it most of the time.

Good luck finding a better doc. I'm truly sorry that you have to seriously waste 2 hours waiting on her!

Edited to add: To answer the question... Waiting longer than 45 min-1 hour is too long.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

I agree with everyone else and would complain, then do so in writing, and then do so to the board of health ;). I am mean like that.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Board of health won't do anything on a 2 hour wait. Neither will your insurance.

I would complain but complain to the doctor. NOT the front desk or nurse. They know it is an issue and probably can't do jack about it. I used to work for a doctor that would run 2 hours behind because he would show up late and we weren't allowed to call patients to tell them. Complaining to us did nothing because he owned the place.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

"Jessica80" wrote:

Board of health won't do anything on a 2 hour wait. Neither will your insurance.

I would complain but complain to the doctor. NOT the front desk or nurse. They know it is an issue and probably can't do jack about it. I used to work for a doctor that would run 2 hours behind because he would show up late and we weren't allowed to call patients to tell them. Complaining to us did nothing because he owned the place.

That's kind of how I feel.

Today I got there at 11:45 for a noon appt.
Got called into the room at 1:20
Was seen at 1:45.

I've had 5 appointments since June. All but one of them required camping out in the waiting room. LOL

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

"Rivergallery" wrote:

I agree with everyone else and would complain, then do so in writing, and then do so to the board of health ;). I am mean like that.

Board of Health won't care and writing a letter to the doc doesn't work either... Who do you think opens the docs mail, lol?

Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 848

I've had to wait 1-2 hours before for a Pediatric Specialist. Thought it is an inconvenience to me at the time, I understand that it is sometimes necessary to fit in sick children. I have never been turned down by a specialist if I want to bring my child in that day. (Well, I was turned down once but when I threatened to switch doctors they conveniently squeezed me in) I even had one doctor see my daughter as a new patient the day I called because I needed her to be seen and cleared ASAP for an upcoming procedure she was scheduled for. Waiting sucks, but if it means sick children are being seen by their doctors and not being sent to an ER I'm good with that.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

That's kind of how I feel.

Today I got there at 11:45 for a noon appt.
Got called into the room at 1:20
Was seen at 1:45.

I've had 5 appointments since June. All but one of them required camping out in the waiting room. LOL

Completely unacceptable!

I agree that complaints need to go straight to the doctor, not the office staff.

One of my favorite things about my doctors office is that they schedule time in the day for urgent stuff. Pregnancy concerns, sick kids, that sort of thing. I am always able to see them same day if I need to and the wait times are reasonable.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6561

I once took my daughter to a doctor (who has since lost his licence) who routinely made me wait between 6-8 hours to be seen. I was on TN care at the time and was not allowed to change doctors for 6 months. It was awful. I ended up not taking her to the doctor unless it was an emergency and then changed as soon as I could.

I have been to various specialist appointments that have taken several hours. Ideally would like for them to be 15-30 minutes, I have had that happen, but I would say is not the norm in this area.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

:jawdrop: I don't think I would have waited that long. I can't even imagine. If you'd been that late she wouldn't see you, so why should you wait for her? I'd at least demand a discount, your time is money just as hers is! And being delayed that long might actually cost you money (babysitter, parking garage, time off work) that you could have avoided if her office would have let you know she was running that late. That's just greedy and unprofessional, and I would tell her to her face. Also give her a bad rating on Yelp! I have never waited that long anywhere except the ER, and I probably haven't even waited that long at an ER more than once. But again, that's one thing I love about Kaiser. They schedule enough time for every appointment, and they don't overbook the doctors. There's no need to, it just ticks off the patients/clients, and they make enough money on us already. If it's urgent and my doctor is full, I can see someone else but I won't have to wait that long.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6561

OT - What is Kaiser? I saw that recently on another forum. I tried Googling it, but it did not give a clear answer.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

Depends on the place. I think the latest I waited for a scheduled GP appt was an hour and a half. I've never ever waited long for specialists, especially for the kids. Urgent care varies from just a minute or two to 5 hours. Yeah, the minute wait is for really sick people, the 5 hour wait is for like minor breaks and mild illness. Yay for triage. If I went to the ER with a broken wrist, for example, I'd probably wait at least 8 hours.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

Depends on the place. I think the latest I waited for a scheduled GP appt was an hour and a half. I've never ever waited long for specialists, especially for the kids. Urgent care varies from just a minute or two to 5 hours. Yeah, the minute wait is for really sick people, the 5 hour wait is for like minor breaks and mild illness. Yay for triage. If I went to the ER with a broken wrist, for example, I'd probably wait at least 8 hours.

3 week ago, Express Care was confident I had appendicitis and wanted me to go back to the ER so they could rule it out with a CT scan. I showed them the paperwork expressing that, and I was still labeled as "abdominal pain." I was at the ER at 7pm and didn't even get called back to an exam room until around 12:45am. Had the CT scan at around 2 or 3 am. It was finally confirmed that I had appendicitis but I was never expedited and I'm guessing because my appendix never burst (thankfully). I finally had the surgery at 9:20am the next day. So that's what... 14 hours? Lol, pretty pathetic huh.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

It's full name is Kaiser Permanente and it's a "captive model" HMO which mean that, with few exceptions, members can get medical care only from plan doctors & hospitals and plan hospitals & doctors only serve members. All of the doctors & other staff are employees of the Permanente Medical Group; they are salaried and work a set schedule. All patients are members of the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan which is a non-profit. All Kaiser Foundation Hospitals are run as non-profit entities. It's an integrated model of health care which means that all providers have the same access to the same information, and all providers can refer you to any other provider, so if your OB notices a lump in your breast, she sends you directly to mammography instead of you having to go back to your PCP for a referral. Or if you're in the ER for something & can't remember what medicine you take, the ER doctor can look it up quickly & easily, avoiding complications. They are very big on preventive medicine so they fund things like weight loss classes for overweight people, stress management for people with high BP, and regular liver panel blood tests for people with hepatitis B which can cause a form of liver cancer that is close to 100% treatable with surgery when it's discovered quickly. And all related services are available in the same building, so you can take your kid to the ped, get a shot, have blood drawn, and pick up a prescription all in one trip. I love Kaiser!

Why Become a Member | Kaiser Permanente ? Thrive

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6561

"Spacers" wrote:

It's full name is Kaiser Permanente and it's a "captive model" HMO which mean that, with few exceptions, members can get medical care only from plan doctors & hospitals and plan hospitals & doctors only serve members. All of the doctors & other staff are employees of the Permanente Medical Group; they are salaried and work a set schedule. All patients are members of the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan which is a non-profit. All Kaiser Foundation Hospitals are run as non-profit entities. It's an integrated model of health care which means that all providers have the same access to the same information, and all providers can refer you to any other provider, so if your OB notices a lump in your breast, she sends you directly to mammography instead of you having to go back to your PCP for a referral. Or if you're in the ER for something & can't remember what medicine you take, the ER doctor can look it up quickly & easily, avoiding complications. They are very big on preventive medicine so they fund things like weight loss classes for overweight people, stress management for people with high BP, and regular liver panel blood tests for people with hepatitis B which can cause a form of liver cancer that is close to 100% treatable with surgery when it's discovered quickly. And all related services are available in the same building, so you can take your kid to the ped, get a shot, have blood drawn, and pick up a prescription all in one trip. I love Kaiser!

Why Become a Member | Kaiser Permanente ? Thrive

This is interesting to me. The other group where I first heard about it were all very negative about it and saying how horrible it is. Nice to get more than one side. Is it only in California?

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

Wikipedia says they are in nine states and the District of Columbia. A lot of people don't like not being able to choose a specialist, but I've never had an issue with it. And a lot of people don't realize that, even though you're assigned a PCP when you join, you can switch to anyone who has availability on their schedule.

One thing I don't like about Kaiser is the way they "do" birth. You don't get "your" OB, you get whomever is at the hospital at that day & time, and that person might leave at 8pm and you find yourself meeting someone new while you're in transition. That's why I chose homebirth with a midwife, even though I had to pay out-of-pocket for it, and why I tell anyone giving birth at Kaiser to bring a doula. Blum 3

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I think the birth thing is common everywhere at least here. It was a huge reason I opted for midwives. If you are at the hospital yougo get doc there. Might not even be from the office you go to but the mid wives are all from the office so you know who it is that is delivering you because you've met her before.

My company has something similar and it's a huge thing insurance/health care payment model wise. It's called the AQC contract and if you google it there are lots of articles out on it. Basically, we pay a circle X amount of dollars to treat with rewards for awesome outcomes. They refer to specialists in their circle unless that specialist doesn't exist and all care is easily accessed with internal records. There are many circles though which is different from the Kaiser model.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"mommytoMR.FACE" wrote:

3 week ago, Express Care was confident I had appendicitis and wanted me to go back to the ER so they could rule it out with a CT scan. I showed them the paperwork expressing that, and I was still labeled as "abdominal pain." I was at the ER at 7pm and didn't even get called back to an exam room until around 12:45am. Had the CT scan at around 2 or 3 am. It was finally confirmed that I had appendicitis but I was never expedited and I'm guessing because my appendix never burst (thankfully). I finally had the surgery at 9:20am the next day. So that's what... 14 hours? Lol, pretty pathetic huh.

You are very lucky, Deniz! Same thing happened to my brother a few months ago. Went to the U2 concert, came home and wasn't feeling great, went to the hospital where he waited for hours and hours. He had to have a open surgery because his appendix was leaking pus into his abdomen and he was on meds for 3 weeks to kill the infection in his gut. Lucky guy. We've had cases of otherwise healthy teens and young adults sitting in emerg and dying in the waiting room from a ruptured appendix, or being sent home for nothing more than 'abdominal pain' only to have it rupture at home and then die in the ambulance on the way back to the hospital. That's scary. For something so incredibly serious and potentially life-threatening I just don't get why it's dismissed and misdiagnosed so often.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Spacers" wrote:

Wikipedia says they are in nine states and the District of Columbia. A lot of people don't like not being able to choose a specialist, but I've never had an issue with it. And a lot of people don't realize that, even though you're assigned a PCP when you join, you can switch to anyone who has availability on their schedule.

One thing I don't like about Kaiser is the way they "do" birth. You don't get "your" OB, you get whomever is at the hospital at that day & time, and that person might leave at 8pm and you find yourself meeting someone new while you're in transition. That's why I chose homebirth with a midwife, even though I had to pay out-of-pocket for it, and why I tell anyone giving birth at Kaiser to bring a doula. Blum 3

It's like that where I live; maybe all of Canada's that way. My OB didn't deliver DD and we had the gamut of staff - 2 different nurses, medical student (who performed his very first vaginal exam on me), resident OB, chief OB, regular joe doctor, heck maybe even the janitor had his hands up there too for all I know. My OB was on duty the night DS was born, but I planned that - after walking around 5cm for at least a week I was like "You are getting this kid out tonight, before you go home." A resident still did the actual hard part and a student delivered his body once the head was out. I guess they have to learn somehow!

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

Not all of Canada! There was never any question that my Doc would deliver my babies.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"ftmom" wrote:

Not all of Canada! There was never any question that my Doc would deliver my babies.

It's a lottery here in AB Smile

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

It's like that where I live; maybe all of Canada's that way. My OB didn't deliver DD and we had the gamut of staff - 2 different nurses, medical student (who performed his very first vaginal exam on me), resident OB, chief OB, regular joe doctor, heck maybe even the janitor had his hands up there too for all I know. My OB was on duty the night DS was born, but I planned that - after walking around 5cm for at least a week I was like "You are getting this kid out tonight, before you go home." A resident still did the actual hard part and a student delivered his body once the head was out. I guess they have to learn somehow!

Same for us. My doc did deliver T, but only because he happened to be on call.

To the OP, routinely waiting 2 hours is waaaaaay too long. There is a sign in both my peds office and my my OB office that says if you have been waiting longer than 15 minutes past the time of your appointment to come see the receptionist. I've never had to use either. At my PCP, the wait is typically 5-15 minutes as well, although it has been very occasionally longer.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Same for us. My doc did deliver T, but only because he happened to be on call.

To the OP, routinely waiting 2 hours is waaaaaay too long. There is a sign in both my peds office and my my OB office that says if you have been waiting longer than 15 minutes past the time of your appointment to come see the receptionist. I've never had to use either. At my PCP, the wait is typically 5-15 minutes as well, although it has been very occasionally longer.

I just LOVE the sign that's in every clinic or doctor's office I've ever been in: "Staff abuse will not be tolerated." Well if I've been waiting 2 hours past my appt time, taken time off work, courteously made sure I was on time myself so as not to inconvenience the doctor or staff, you'd better just stay clear of me. Don't look at me, or talk to me unless you're offering up one huge a$$ apology for wrecking my entire day. Thing is, I have never ever ever received an apology if the doctor is running that late. Oh, but if I EVER no-show for an appt I get charged $25. The nerve.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

I just LOVE the sign that's in every clinic or doctor's office I've ever been in: "Staff abuse will not be tolerated." Well if I've been waiting 2 hours past my appt time, taken time off work, courteously made sure I was on time myself so as not to inconvenience the doctor or staff, you'd better just stay clear of me. Don't look at me, or talk to me unless you're offering up one huge a$$ apology for wrecking my entire day. Thing is, I have never ever ever received an apology if the doctor is running that late. Oh, but if I EVER no-show for an appt I get charged $25. The nerve.

So true!

My worst experience was about 6 years ago. We made an appointment for the annual checkup for the girls. 3 hours later we were seen. I asked about a flu shot for all of us. They weren't in yet. They made a follow-up appointment for the sole purpose of getting the flu shot. We came back and waited for another 2 hours. When we were called back, they asked "what is the reason for your visit"? Flu shot. Well, are you XYZ? Yes. "Oh, we don't have record of that. No flu shots for you." I threw a fit! I told them they never should have made a follow-up appointment to get a flu shot if they weren't going to give it. What sent me over the edge? They billed my insurance company for the appointment. I filed a complaint on that one and never went back.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

I just LOVE the sign that's in every clinic or doctor's office I've ever been in: "Staff abuse will not be tolerated." Well if I've been waiting 2 hours past my appt time, taken time off work, courteously made sure I was on time myself so as not to inconvenience the doctor or staff, you'd better just stay clear of me. Don't look at me, or talk to me unless you're offering up one huge a$$ apology for wrecking my entire day. Thing is, I have never ever ever received an apology if the doctor is running that late. Oh, but if I EVER no-show for an appt I get charged $25. The nerve.

Really??? My doctor always apologizes if she is late... And she is never very late. I think one time I had to wait 45 minutes and she said sorry many times. I'm liking my doc more and more!

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

So true!

My worst experience was about 6 years ago. We made an appointment for the annual checkup for the girls. 3 hours later we were seen. I asked about a flu shot for all of us. They weren't in yet. They made a follow-up appointment for the sole purpose of getting the flu shot. We came back and waited for another 2 hours. When we were called back, they asked "what is the reason for your visit"? Flu shot. Well, are you XYZ? Yes. "Oh, we don't have record of that. No flu shots for you." I threw a fit! I told them they never should have made a follow-up appointment to get a flu shot if they weren't going to give it. What sent me over the edge? They billed my insurance company for the appointment. I filed a complaint on that one and never went back.

Oh I would have been pissed. Grrr.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

I apologize to the patients when a doctor is running late and 95% of the time they roll their eyes at me... Tell me I don't mean it... Or they feel like it opens up an invitation for them to start yelling at me. When the doctor walks in and apologizes, the patient that just yelled at me says, "Oh it's okay :):):) !!!"

The other 5% smile and tell me they understand and they know it's not my fault.

I actually had a guy tell me that *I* was lucky I called his name when I did because he was going to leave. He then told me the doctor has only 5 minutes to walk into his exam room. He was really rude and it really took a lot for me to stay quiet instead of telling him he can't talk to me that way. Needless to say, patients' a lot of times don't realize that most docs stick up for their staff. Guess who got skipped and had to wait even longer. The next day, my coworker said that she saw that same guy at a bar that day and he was bragging and laughing about what he said to me.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

I just LOVE the sign that's in every clinic or doctor's office I've ever been in: "Staff abuse will not be tolerated." Well if I've been waiting 2 hours past my appt time, taken time off work, courteously made sure I was on time myself so as not to inconvenience the doctor or staff, you'd better just stay clear of me. Don't look at me, or talk to me unless you're offering up one huge a$$ apology for wrecking my entire day. Thing is, I have never ever ever received an apology if the doctor is running that late. Oh, but if I EVER no-show for an appt I get charged $25. The nerve.

Wow! And you get charged for missing? I would have owed hundreds of dollars after my last pregnancy. For some reason I just couldnt remember those stupid appointments, not to mention the times the receptionist wrote down the wrong date or time for me. I think I am glad I am in BC for medical, though we do still see most of our specialists in Alberta.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

"mommytoMR.FACE" wrote:

I apologize to the patients when a doctor is running late and 95% of the time they roll their eyes at me... Tell me I don't mean it... Or they feel like it opens up an invitation for them to start yelling at me. When the doctor walks in and apologizes, the patient that just yelled at me says, "Oh it's okay :):):) !!!"

The other 5% smile and tell me they understand and they know it's not my fault.

I actually had a guy tell me that *I* was lucky I called his name when I did because he was going to leave. He then told me the doctor has only 5 minutes to walk into his exam room. He was really rude and it really took a lot for me to stay quiet instead of telling him he can't talk to me that way. Needless to say, patients' a lot of times don't realize that most docs stick up for their staff. Guess who got skipped and had to wait even longer. The next day, my coworker said that she saw that same guy at a bar that day and he was bragging and laughing about what he said to me.

People can be such jerks! And I dont really get what they think they are accomplishing with their rudeness. Its like people who are rude to waitresses. Umm, who do you think controls when you're food comes? In this case, who do you think controls how soon you are seen next time, or even when the next 'available' appointment is?

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

I am very late to this one. (oops)

I would not wait 2 hours to see a doctor unless it was a specialist and I'd been told that that might happen. I think 15 minutes is tolerable but not great, and half an hour would really piss me off and I'd expect them to acknowledge, apologize, and promise it wouldn't happen again. I can't take a half day off every time I have a doctor's appointment. It's one thing to have a specific situation and it's another to overbook so it happens consistently.

As for delivery, I went to a group practice (all women), so even though I had my main doctor, they rotated me through everyone during my pregnancies so I would be familiar with everyone just in case it was someone else's turn. I get it; they took turns being on call, which seems fair to me. With my son I got my regular doctor but not with my daughter, but I'd already met her and been examined by her. It wasn't my preference but I didn't think it was unreasonable that they trade off being on call.

ange84's picture
Joined: 12/28/09
Posts: 6564

My Gp here in town at one point 2 hours was a standard wait time they actually encouraged you to call at your appointment time rather than come in to see how long the wait was. A co workers husband was still waiting for a 11am appointment at 5pm one day. It was a pain because I always get appointments after work so as not to inconvenience anyone so i was often still at the doctors at 7pm with a very hungry child.

My GP in my home town is never on time but I will wait for her because she is so good.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

"ange84" wrote:

My Gp here in town at one point 2 hours was a standard wait time they actually encouraged you to call at your appointment time rather than come in to see how long the wait was. A co workers husband was still waiting for a 11am appointment at 5pm one day. It was a pain because I always get appointments after work so as not to inconvenience anyone so i was often still at the doctors at 7pm with a very hungry child.

My GP in my home town is never on time but I will wait for her because she is so good.

See, that tells me they are overbooking. It's one thing to know that the doctor isn't rushing patients through but when it's standard like that it means there's a problem with the booking and they need to change it. Who has all day to sit there?

ange84's picture
Joined: 12/28/09
Posts: 6564

The doctor had lost the other doctor in his practice so he was still trying to see the same amount of patients a day. I have few choices here, most doctors have closed their books to new patients and the one I know of who will take new people I refuse to see because I have seen him once and know his reputation and he is not a good doctor. My GP in my home town only works two days a week as well so getting into her can take awhile and she doesn't take new patients really, she has a following who go wherever she is working, including when she worked at an indigenous clinic.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

See, that tells me they are overbooking. It's one thing to know that the doctor isn't rushing patients through but when it's standard like that it means there's a problem with the booking and they need to change it. Who has all day to sit there?

I agree with this. There may be special circumstances (like if they are the only doctor in town and can't stand to turn anyone away while they look for a partner) where this may happen temporarily, but if it's the norm and they aren't doing anything about it, I think that's a real problem. If I had to wait all day to see a doctor, I would never see a doctor. I just don't have that kind of time.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

We just changed family doctors because of the wait times and the fact our old GP was never available. If I called to book an appt it would be at least 2 months down the road, she only worked part time and she relied on a locum to manage her patient load. Plus, she was starting to lose her mind, I think. Once, when I mentioned that the intimacy in my marriage was waning a bit she said "Well, you have to kids so you never have to have sex ever again if you don't want." Like, what kind of doctor says that?????

Anyhoo, our new doctor will take the kids the same day if they're sick and DH and I can get in with an appt the next day if we're sick.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

I was thinking about this thread while at our new walk in clinic last night. They have a really cool system where you can text in, and they will put you in cue, then they will text you 10 min before your appointment, so you dont have to sit around the waiting room for hours. Just thought it was really cool and wanted to share. Also, I have learned that if you just walk in, with a cute or crying baby (as I did last night), they will fit you in at the front of the cue. Its not like anyone can tell if the waiting room is empty Smile

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

We just changed family doctors because of the wait times and the fact our old GP was never available. If I called to book an appt it would be at least 2 months down the road, she only worked part time and she relied on a locum to manage her patient load. Plus, she was starting to lose her mind, I think. Once, when I mentioned that the intimacy in my marriage was waning a bit she said "Well, you have to kids so you never have to have sex ever again if you don't want." Like, what kind of doctor says that?????

Anyhoo, our new doctor will take the kids the same day if they're sick and DH and I can get in with an appt the next day if we're sick.

Good call on switching doctors. Yeesh.

Our pediatrician has special hours reserved for "sick" visits, they don't book appointments during that time so they can take the kids who need immediate attention without having to disrupt everybody else. They always use it, that's for sure.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Good call on switching doctors. Yeesh.

Our pediatrician has special hours reserved for "sick" visits, they don't book appointments during that time so they can take the kids who need immediate attention without having to disrupt everybody else. They always use it, that's for sure.

I think my GP has part of their time set aside for sick patients that need to be seen right away too. I have sometimes called and not been able to get an appointment, but they said to just "walk in" and I have never had to wait long. My impression is that they reserve some slots for appointments, and some for walk ins, and they manage it very well because there is never too long a wait whether have an appointment or just walk in.

ange84's picture
Joined: 12/28/09
Posts: 6564

I wish they did that here, but there is a large older population and most of the doctors seem to priortise them. A three day wait for an appointment can be common, I canusually get DS in but a lot of the time they ppiggy back an appointment so we get a crazy wait time.