Elf on the Shelf

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780
Elf on the Shelf

Fun harmless holiday tradition......or the ultimate in lying to your children, creating fear (the whole little elf watching you all day thing), and behavior manipulation?

Discuss.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

We actually don't do Santa or the Tooth Fairy. I don't like lying.

I'm not opposed to behavior manipulation. Isn't that what we all try to do? Manipulate them into kind, well behaved, little people. Smile

I don't do the whole Santa thing is evil though. Falls into my "each to their own" category.

Oh, I did read a blog once about some kids reaction to the Elf on the Shelf. Funniest thing I ever read.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

oops. Double post.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

I've never heard of Elf on the Shelf before. We obviously don't do it. We do have Santa, though. If a child is misbehaving, I have said in the past with my older kids that I'll call Santa (or the Easter Bunny) to discuss them being naughty. My sister and I devised a "Parent Handbook" where only parents can see the phone numbers and addresses to fictional characters as needed. I just may make a new one.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

I ahve never heard of such a thing. It sounds weird to me. Not the lying thing (I am all for lying to children to help my parenting go smoothly) but the idea that some little statue is watching you. Freaky. And I still have an issue with Santa just because it's not something I am used to so I let Dh take over that one.

This just seems a little too far. Atelast you don't see Santa or the Tooth Fairy. But having a statue on your shelf all the time that is supposed to watch your every move just take sit to whole other level that is creepy. If your child needs a constant warning figure to remind them to behave then maybe one should think about thier parenting skills.

RebeccaA'07's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

I think it's a great tradition, I wanted to get one this year but didn't think a two year old would even begin to understand the actual concept. The story behind the elf that you read to your children is cute. I'll get it one day!

I really don't think it's any worse then saying, "Santa's watching" or "You better be good so Santa will bring you presents" which I hear parents say all.of.the.time.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/06/03
Posts: 1175

"Potter75" wrote:

or the ultimate in lying to your children, creating fear (the whole little elf watching you all day thing), and behavior manipulation?

No more than doing the Santa is real thing/telling your kids that he's watching/not going to leave presents if they're naughty. And yet millions of parents do that every Christmas season.

So... I'm going to go with a fun, harmless holiday tradition.

We don't do Santa/Tooth Fairy/etc... well, we do in the "my kids know the truth and that it's just for fun/make believe" sense but I really don't see the difference between having an elf "watching" or Santa "watching".

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 848

We've never told our kids that Santa is watching them, or that they'd better be good or they won't get any presents. For us, Santa brings presents to all kids. So the elf on a shelf thing wouldn't really work for us. I certainly don't think it is evil though. Everyone has their own holiday traditions to make the season a little more magical.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"RebeccaA'07" wrote:

I think it's a great tradition, I wanted to get one this year but didn't think a two year old would even begin to understand the actual concept. The story behind the elf that you read to your children is cute. I'll get it one day!

I really don't think it's any worse then saying, "Santa's watching" or "You better be good so Santa will bring you presents" which I hear parents say all.of.the.time.

I don't know Rebecca, it seems very different to me. One thing is saying to your kids, "santa is watching you" and another is putting a fake camera up and saying "Santa is watching you". Having a visual reminder of being watched makes it seem so much more creepy. My mother used to say she had eyes in the back of her head. Had she glued a fake eye to the back of her head, well that would have just taken it to another level.

I'm just saying, kids can be freaked out by things we adults don;t even think twice about. We don't do the tooth under the pillow thing at my house because my 7 yo got freaked out by the idea of something coming into his room at night. So we put the tooth under a pillow outside, lol. However, he didn't tell us it bothered him until one day he reused to hand over his tooth. Or like when I was in elementary I remeber vividly a teacher putting a broken camera in the bathroom and telling us she could see who was throwing spit wads on the cieling. Most kids thought it was stupid but I refused to pee all day long until my mother figured out what was going on. To this day I still have issues with public bathrooms.

To one kid it might not be an issue,but to another it might be creepy. I'm just saying I can see the creep factor in it and the idea of a little statue watching me just weirds me out.

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

LOVE it. I didn't want to do Santa, but dh (and his family) insisted so I told them in for a penny in for a pound. It's so much fun. Jason did get upset that Ichabod got dirty by making snow angels in corn flour yesterday, but when he woke up this morning and he was snuggling with Jason's puppy in a "towel" watching Jason's brand new movie, he was happy again. Tonight Ichabod will decorate his Christmas tree with his underwear and socks. Tomorrow night he'll bring the stuff to make homemade cookies for Jason's teachers next week. It's soooo much fun.

You could do the Elf thing without the watching part of the story.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Yeah, I think there is a way (like what Lillie talked about) to make it fun and cute and not all sinister and Big Brother. We don't do it because we don't do Christmas (Maybe I could call it a Solstice Sam instead? LOL) but I don't think it's creepy (unless you make it creepy.)

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

"culturedmom" wrote:

I don't know Rebecca, it seems very different to me. One thing is saying to your kids, "santa is watching you" and another is putting a fake camera up and saying "Santa is watching you". Having a visual reminder of being watched makes it seem so much more creepy. My mother used to say she had eyes in the back of her head. Had she glued a fake eye to the back of her head, well that would have just taken it to another level.

I'm just saying, kids can be freaked out by things we adults don;t even think twice about. We don't do the tooth under the pillow thing at my house because my 7 yo got freaked out by the idea of something coming into his room at night. So we put the tooth under a pillow outside, lol. However, he didn't tell us it bothered him until one day he reused to hand over his tooth. Or like when I was in elementary I remeber vividly a teacher putting a broken camera in the bathroom and telling us she could see who was throwing spit wads on the cieling. Most kids thought it was stupid but I refused to pee all day long until my mother figured out what was going on. To this day I still have issues with public bathrooms.

To one kid it might not be an issue,but to another it might be creepy. I'm just saying I can see the creep factor in it and the idea of a little statue watching me just weirds me out.

A friend of mine had to tell her 7 yr old, on Christmas Eve, that Santa wasnt real and couldnt really get into the house. Because he was freaked that if Santa could get in, then couldnt bad people? Makes sense to me.

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

We dont do the elf, but then Santa brings presents to all boys and girls in our house. We try to not use it as a threat, cause really, I would never follow through with the 'no presents' part. That would just be mean!

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Yeah, I think there is a way (like what Lillie talked about) to make it fun and cute and not all sinister and Big Brother. We don't do it because we don't do Christmas (Maybe I could call it a Solstice Sam instead? LOL) but I don't think it's creepy (unless you make it creepy.)

Well a little elf toy is cute. But that's not what this thread is about. I have the charlie brown musical collection on my mantle. But an elf that sits on your mantle watching you is just creepy. Sorry.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

I don't think its a harmful tradition or anything but its not going to be a tradition in my house.

I already feel like I'm "up to here" with stuff that needs to get done and i already suck at making sure all the traditions that have been around a lot longer and mean a lot more to me get done. Like advent calendars for example. I would love to do one, but i haven't bought one and tomorrow is Dec 1st!

The last thing i need to do is try to remember to move an elf around every night and think of new and creative things to do with it. I'm the type of person who has forgotten more than once to make the tooth fairy visit. (talk about creativity..."oh you know i've heard she doesn't work on weekends, she'll probably come tomorrow") And thats only one night every once in a while!

The holidays though are just SO BUSY. I have no interest in finding new things to maintain or do during the season. The kids already find it to be a magical time of year...and I already manipulate their behavior verbally with the santas watching...so i've got that covered.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"culturedmom" wrote:

Well a little elf toy is cute. But that's not what this thread is about. I have the charlie brown musical collection on my mantle. But an elf that sits on your mantle watching you is just creepy. Sorry.

Okay, but what if you don't really play up the "watching you" aspect, and instead play up the "fun" aspect, like Lillie is doing with having the elf in different scenarios each morning? To me, the Elf could be creepy or not, depending on how you use it. If you put it in their bedroom and say "If you are bad, the elf will see you" that is creepy. If you say "The Elf is here to play for Christmas" and make it do snow angels in corn meal, that is magical and adorable. My point is that it doesn't *have* to be creepy - it depends on how you use it.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Okay, but what if you don't really play up the "watching you" aspect, and instead play up the "fun" aspect, like Lillie is doing with having the elf in different scenarios each morning? To me, the Elf could be creepy or not, depending on how you use it. If you put it in their bedroom and say "If you are bad, the elf will see you" that is creepy. If you say "The Elf is here to play for Christmas" and make it do snow angels in corn meal, that is magical and adorable. My point is that it doesn't *have* to be creepy - it depends on how you use it.

Yes but thats how the tradition is marketed. He's supposed to be an elf that watches you so that santa knows who is naughty and who is nice. I mean...sure, you could ignore that and just have fun...but seeing thats how the tradition was "founded", on that principle, i can see why people bring up the point that it might feel a little creepy/eerie.

Really i think thats another reason why the whole thing makes me roll my eyes. To me its just a genius marketing gimmick that someone struck gold with. The idea of it becoming a 'tradition' kind puts a yucky taste in my mouth.

Not that every tradition has a lovely beginning. But traditions born out of money making schemes just...'meh'...doesn't seem right.

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

It's not though for some people. A lot of the reviews I read are from people who remember their grandparents and parents doing the same thing. It's just a more widespread tradition than it used to be. I don't expect my kid to use our elf for his kids because it will probably get old and people will forget about it. You can only do so many scenarios before you have to start repeating. Here's one that's been around for decades. I don't think any parent that cares enough to go through the minor amount of trouble is trying to creep their kid out. Lana's teacher would have totally creeped me out as an adult let alone a kid; this isn't the same thing. If you believe in God, it's not much different on the creepy scale to believe that he knows everything you do on top of being able to see everything you do.

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Kins--Kins-Christopher-Bookset/dp/B001JTDL1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322707330&sr=8-2

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

"wlillie" wrote:

It's not though for some people. A lot of the reviews I read are from people who remember their grandparents and parents doing the same thing. It's just a more widespread tradition than it used to be. I don't expect my kid to use our elf for his kids because it will probably get old and people will forget about it. You can only do so many scenarios before you have to start repeating. Here's one that's been around for decades. I don't think any parent that cares enough to go through the minor amount of trouble is trying to creep their kid out. Lana's teacher would have totally creeped me out as an adult let alone a kid; this isn't the same thing. If you believe in God, it's not much different on the creepy scale to believe that he knows everything you do on top of being able to see everything you do.

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Kins--Kins-Christopher-Bookset/dp/B001JTDL1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322707330&sr=8-2

Ok, it obviously wasn't a widespread tradition...and it became hot and widespread because of marketing and because someone wanted to make money. I actually just read the "About Us" section on the elfontheshelf website and they have a page about the company and its all about money and how successful they've become.

Just leaves an unappealing taste in my mouth.

And no one is trying to actually creep out their kid..i don't think that. But i can see why some people think the tradition is creepy feeling.

Its just like that book "I love you for always" Some people love it. Some people think it has a major creep factor to it. I happen to fall into the latter category, but i don't think that means that people who like the book and read it to their kids are actual creeps themselves. ETA: "Love you forever" sorry...got the title wrong. Smile

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

"KimPossible" wrote:

I don't think its a harmful tradition or anything but its not going to be a tradition in my house.

I already feel like I'm "up to here" with stuff that needs to get done and i already suck at making sure all the traditions that have been around a lot longer and mean a lot more to me get done. Like advent calendars for example. I would love to do one, but i haven't bought one and tomorrow is Dec 1st!

The last thing i need to do is try to remember to move an elf around every night and think of new and creative things to do with it. I'm the type of person who has forgotten more than once to make the tooth fairy visit. (talk about creativity..."oh you know i've heard she doesn't work on weekends, she'll probably come tomorrow") And thats only one night every once in a while!

The holidays though are just SO BUSY. I have no interest in finding new things to maintain or do during the season. The kids already find it to be a magical time of year...and I already manipulate their behavior verbally with the santas watching...so i've got that covered.

ROFL I can so relate with this!

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"KimPossible" wrote:

\

Its just like that book "I love you for always" Some people love it. Some people think it has a major creep factor to it. I happen to fall into the latter category, but i don't think that means that people who like the book and read it to their kids are actual creeps themselves.

Really? People look at the message "I love you for always, I like you forever, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." as creepy? I'm not being sarcastic, I think that message is beautiful.

Anyway, I don't have much (read: any) real life experience with the Elf. My parents never did it (I think because it wasn't widespread when I was a kid) and we don't do Xmas, so I'm not hip to current trends. Having said that, all of the parents I know that do the Elf thing don't do it with icky Big Brother type surveillance in mind. I believe that (most) kids take these things as benevolent (please note that I am a kid that struck out from the traditions I was raised with in pretty much all ways...)

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Really? People look at the message "I love you for always, I like you forever, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." as creepy? I'm not being sarcastic, I think that message is beautiful.

The message alone is beautiful. The story is just weird. If my mother was sneaking through my window at night to rock me while i sleep....

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

I tried posting this earlier and the site was down I think. Anyway. We do not do Santa in our house. I have heard of the Elf, but do not know anyone who does it.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"wlillie" wrote:

It's not though for some people. A lot of the reviews I read are from people who remember their grandparents and parents doing the same thing. It's just a more widespread tradition than it used to be. I don't expect my kid to use our elf for his kids because it will probably get old and people will forget about it. You can only do so many scenarios before you have to start repeating. Here's one that's been around for decades. I don't think any parent that cares enough to go through the minor amount of trouble is trying to creep their kid out. Lana's teacher would have totally creeped me out as an adult let alone a kid; this isn't the same thing. If you believe in God, it's not much different on the creepy scale to believe that he knows everything you do on top of being able to see everything you do.

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Kins--Kins-Christopher-Bookset/dp/B001JTDL1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322707330&sr=8-2

It has nothingto do with intentions. I am not saying parents are trying to creep their kid out. I'm saying IMO it is creepy and I can see how it would be distrubing. Sometimes parents do things and don't realize that to a child it is taken a different way. Like myscenario with my son and the tooth fairy. I had no idea he was paranoid about the idea of a fairy coming into his room. And here the tooth fairy is much more then just some money left under a pillow. Since my DD was losing teeth I strated atradition where I would type up a little letter ont he same stationary "from the tooth fairy" and leave little presents or gold dollar coins. She loved it. My son....disturbed by the whole thing. I had no idea and I wasn't trying to be creepy. Now I kind of regret going so far with the whole charade and I should have keep it simple or even just said "Mom will put money under your pillow".

If your kid is one who loves it and you know he thinks it is great and you have fun with it, go for it. The op asks if it is creepy or not. Your answer is no. Mine is 100% yes.

And by the way, I looked it up on their website and that just creeped me out more. The little song "Elf on the shelf is watching you...and everything that you do. The elf on the shelf is watching you, each and every Christmas." I just think that is weird and freaky. Like kids going through that phase where they think their toys are alive.Can you imagie if a parent came in and moved them to a different place posing them. I would have flipped the frak out. lol

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

That's next week. Ichabod will be taking all of Jason's trains on the table and he'll be sitting on top of one. Then the week after he'll have a barbecue with Buzz, Jessie, and Woodie. Wink

I wish I'd gotten his reaction to his underwear Christmas tree on tape. It was so fantastic it was almost worth being up this early. I still think it's no more creepy than telling my son that God is watching over him.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

It's not something that would work for our family. We really downplay the whole Santa thing and I would and will never threaten to "call Santa" or whatever to manipulate good behavior (solely because no matter what they are getting presents on Christmas morning, and I try hard not to make threats or lay down consequences that I have no intention of keeping).

To me it just seems over the top contrived. I'm shocked how many of my friends do this, it really caught on around here.

fudd8963's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 12/27/07
Posts: 1630

"RebeccaA'07" wrote:

I think it's a great tradition, I wanted to get one this year but didn't think a two year old would even begin to understand the actual concept. The story behind the elf that you read to your children is cute. I'll get it one day!

I really don't think it's any worse then saying, "Santa's watching" or "You better be good so Santa will bring you presents" which I hear parents say all.of.the.time.

Ditto this!

We don't tell the girls "Santa is watching" or "you won't get gifts". I think a big part of the "Elf on the Shelf" is finding him in a different spot everyday. I think that sounds like the fun part!

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"fudd8963" wrote:

Ditto this!

We don't tell the girls "Santa is watching" or "you won't get gifts". I think a big part of the "Elf on the Shelf" is finding him in a different spot everyday. I think that sounds like the fun part!

I can see how that is cute. who doesn't like little presents and surprises. But that is not how it is marketed and so I am not debating the cuteness of a little elf toy that parents put in different scenarios. I am debating an el that is supposed to watch overyou, pretending like it's real, to keep kids behaving good.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

Oh i do the santa is watching thing all the time. And i've pondered how it might over the first few years send the message that they behave just fine because they always get gifts. But they do behave just fine in the grand scheme of things so thats ok with me.

And then at some point they eventually find out its not real and then they get why i'm always warning them that they better be good. Emma knows santa isn't real and she hears me say "you better be good! santa's watching!"

Kids are smart...she's probably thinking "I'd do that too if i was the mom" LOL.

I don't really see it the same as not following through with consequences because its so open ended. They are always good enough over the course of a year to get presents

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"wlillie" wrote:

That's next week. Ichabod will be taking all of Jason's trains on the table and he'll be sitting on top of one. Then the week after he'll have a barbecue with Buzz, Jessie, and Woodie. Wink

I wish I'd gotten his reaction to his underwear Christmas tree on tape. It was so fantastic it was almost worth being up this early. I still think it's no more creepy than telling my son that God is watching over him.

Nah, to me it would be more like having a figure of Jesus that you move around and say "Jesus is watching you wherever you go". And then he keeps popping up in different places like the bathroom or the fridge shelf.

I knew there had to be creepy videos out there. I like this one.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"KimPossible" wrote:

Oh i do the santa is watching thing all the time. And i've pondered how it might over the first few years send the message that they behave just fine because they always get gifts. But they do behave just fine in the grand scheme of things so thats ok with me.

And then at some point they eventually find out its not real and then they get why i'm always warning them that they better be good. Emma knows santa isn't real and she hears me say "you better be good! santa's watching!"

Kids are smart...she's probably thinking "I'd do that too if i was the mom" LOL.

I don't really see it the same as not following through with consequences because its so open ended. They are always good enough over the course of a year to get presents

Yeah, you seem to do it calmly and well. The parents I have seen use the Santa threat are usually at wits end, screaming "I"M CALLING SANTA! CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED!" etc. I guess I'm afraid if I "go there" I will end up like them.

I remember my Mom doing it and laughing at her....because I knew Santa wasn't real, I knew we were getting gifts, and I knew that she had just tried her trump card and failed Smile

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

LMAO

I was like "Big deal, this video isn't creepy." Until the Elf peeked around the corner with those starey doll eyes. Then it made me laugh because it was soooo freaking creepy.

I still think that if you know your kid, and your kid isn't creeped out by it, then it's no big deal, and probably even a lot of fun.

Melissa, I don't get why it's any more contrived than Santa or any of the other more secular symbols of Christmas.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I meant that the behavior manipulation attempt is way more overtly contrived.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

"Potter75" wrote:

Yeah, you seem to do it calmly and well. The parents I have seen use the Santa threat are usually at wits end, screaming "I"M CALLING SANTA! CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED!" etc. I guess I'm afraid if I "go there" I will end up like them.

I remember my Mom doing it and laughing at her....because I knew Santa wasn't real, I knew we were getting gifts, and I knew that she had just tried her trump card and failed Smile

I have a friend who does the santa thing like you described. She also just got an elf on the shelf this year and she has gone into elaborate detail setting it up. She created a note left by santa saying that he heard that there was some naughty behavior going on a lot in their house so he is purposely sending the elf to their house to watch them.

As an aside, her kids get more toys every year than any other child i know.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"KimPossible" wrote:

I have a friend who does the santa thing like you described. She also just got an elf on the shelf this year and she has gone into elaborate detail setting it up. She created a note left by santa saying that he heard that there was some naughty behavior going on a lot in their house so he is purposely sending the elf to their house to watch him.

As an aside, her kids get more toys every year than any other child i know.

See now that is just fraked up. There is something wrong with a parent who needs Santa and a toy elf to help them control their kids.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"culturedmom" wrote:

I can see how that is cute. who doesn't like little presents and surprises. But that is not how it is marketed and so I am not debating the cuteness of a little elf toy that parents put in different scenarios. I am debating an el that is supposed to watch overyou, pretending like it's real, to keep kids behaving good.

Is that how most parents actually use it though? I guess I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the Elf community, but the few parents I know that have an Elf do it more just as a fun game than a threat of surveillance.

I laughed about the Jesus is Watching You statue popping up on the fridge shelf. I need something like that to help me with my diet. Blum 3

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I put a picture of skinny Lillie on the fridge smooshed by two skinner friends to "watch" over me on my fridge.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Is that how most parents actually use it though? I guess I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the Elf community, but the few parents I know that have an Elf do it more just as a fun game than a threat of surveillance.

I laughed about the Jesus is Watching You statue popping up on the fridge shelf. I need something like that to help me with my diet. Blum 3

Well I don't think it is fair to expect me to debate how "most parents" use it. All we can debate is the toy and it's purpose. The op asked if Elf on the Shelf was creepy or cool. I ooked it up, read the description of the company, and that's all I can go by. I can't debate how each and every parent uses it.

If you start a debate on if teddy bears are cute toys, we probably will all say yes. Is it fair if you then say "well what if someone cuts it into pieces and uses it to wipe their arse instead of toilet paper?" yeah I guess that wouldn't be so cute, but that'snot a fair debate then.

Are we debating whether a little elf toy is cute or are we debating whether the elf toy specifically marketed to watch you, is cute?

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Is that how most parents actually use it though? I guess I don't really have my finger on the pulse of the Elf community, but the few parents I know that have an Elf do it more just as a fun game than a threat of surveillance.

I laughed about the Jesus is Watching You statue popping up on the fridge shelf. I need something like that to help me with my diet. Blum 3

It's funny that this was brought up yesterday. Last night was the first time I saw it mentioned on FB so I asked them what started them and what they do. Each of them were introduced to it by a neighbor, so I still don't get where it originally came from to become a tradition here. They said they use the elf for fun who brings little surprises and hides in different spots so their kids have to look for them. I think that's a fun idea, especially for small kids. If I don't remember (which I'd be horrible at doing), I'm guessing DH would remember to move it.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

Lana, I think you'll appreciate what I just found about another one's interpretation of the book: http://gotpoetry.com/News/article/sid=24664.html

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Beertje" wrote:

Lana, I think you'll appreciate what I just found about another one's interpretation of the book: http://gotpoetry.com/News/article/sid=24664.html

OMG I love it! Howie Mandell, roflmao. I think my favorite part is ". Insert tab elf into slot heart = homogenized family warmth."

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"culturedmom" wrote:

Well I don't think it is fair to expect me to debate how "most parents" use it. All we can debate is the toy and it's purpose. The op asked if Elf on the Shelf was creepy or cool. I ooked it up, read the description of the company, and that's all I can go by. I can't debate how each and every parent uses it.

If you start a debate on if teddy bears are cute toys, we probably will all say yes. Is it fair if you then say "well what if someone cuts it into pieces and uses it to wipe their arse instead of toilet paper?" yeah I guess that wouldn't be so cute, but that'snot a fair debate then.

Are we debating whether a little elf toy is cute or are we debating whether the elf toy specifically marketed to watch you, is cute?

Well, the OP didn't say "Shelf Elf if used only as directed" - so I think it's fair to bring up that it's not creepy unless you use it in a creepy way. If "most parents" aren't using it in a creepy way, then I vote that it's not creepy.

Thanks for the visual of someone wiping their butt with cut up teddy bear parts though. I literally shot water out of my nose.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

I have to admit to being surprised how many do not do Santa. I thought I would be in the minority.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I have to admit to being surprised how many do not do Santa. I thought I would be in the minority.

There are honestly years where i wish we didn't do Santa. Not because of philosophical raesons, but just because of more selfish reasons. I'd like to simplify my life in many ways. Not making up stories about stuff and having to sneak around at midnight to pull off the Santa magic would definitely help do that.

A very selfish part of me wants to get the credit for some of the cool gifts santa brings Smile I don't want to have to wait until they are old enough to realize Wink This is minor though...not really a huge thing of mine lol.

It *would* be nice if my son knew why he didn't get a Nintendo DS or ipod touch every year because every year he asks for one. I have to instead make up some elaborate story about how Santa kind of knows how daddy and i feel about that type of thing.

Call me scrooge, but sometimes santa feels like a bit too much work! But i do it anyway because the whole magical aspect of it when i was a kid i know was pretty cool Smile ETA: I don't mean that last sentence in a argumentative way...just saying why we do it. I definitely understand the reasons why people choose not to do it.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Well, the OP didn't say "Shelf Elf if used only as directed" - so I think it's fair to bring up that it's not creepy unless you use it in a creepy way. If "most parents" aren't using it in a creepy way, then I vote that it's not creepy.

Thanks for the visual of someone wiping their butt with cut up teddy bear parts though. I literally shot water out of my nose.

I didn't know what it was. I looked it up. It said what it was used for so I debate that. If soeone wants to use it for soemthing else, then go ahead. I can't debate every different way soemone uses the thing. I can try though if it helps.

1. Elf watches your kids and reports to Santa- creepy
2. Elf is used as a decoration on the tree- not creepy
3. Elf is placed in different locations around the house to spy on you- creepy
4. Elf is among other knick knacks in the home-not creepy
5. Elf shows up hanging over your bed in the middle fo the night-creepy

should I go on?

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

"culturedmom" wrote:

I didn't know what it was. I looked it up. It said what it was used for so I debate that. If soeone wants to use it for soemthing else, then go ahead. I can't debate every different way soemone uses the thing. I can try though if it helps.

1. Elf watches your kids and reports to Santa- creepy
2. Elf is used as a decoration on the tree- not creepy
3. Elf is placed in different locations around the house to spy on you- creepy
4. Elf is among other knick knacks in the home-not creepy
5. Elf shows up hanging over your bed in the middle fo the night-creepy

should I go on?

This could be fun!

You forgot elf that hides and gives a surprise when found... creepy or no?
Elf that doesn't like to be touched but likes to be talked to...
Elf found on a toilet seat...

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"culturedmom" wrote:

I didn't know what it was. I looked it up. It said what it was used for so I debate that. If soeone wants to use it for soemthing else, then go ahead. I can't debate every different way soemone uses the thing. I can try though if it helps.

1. Elf watches your kids and reports to Santa- creepy
2. Elf is used as a decoration on the tree- not creepy
3. Elf is placed in different locations around the house to spy on you- creepy
4. Elf is among other knick knacks in the home-not creepy
5. Elf shows up hanging over your bed in the middle fo the night-creepy

should I go on?

Please do. Blum 3

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Beertje" wrote:

This could be fun!

You forgot elf that hides and gives a surprise when found... creepy or no?
Elf that doesn't like to be touched but likes to be talked to...
Elf found on a toilet seat...

Elf that hides and gives surprise when found- depends on where he is hiding and what the surprise is.

Elf that doesn't liek to be touched-way fraking creepy
Elf found on toilet seat-creepy
Elf found in your bed staring at you while you sleep-creepy
Elf sitting amongst present under the tree-ok
Elf being chewed by dog so he only has half a face-creepy
Elf watching you while in the shower-creepy

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Elf falling out of your cereal box in the morning like an old school "prize?"
Elf curled up in your underwear drawer (may or may not be wearing your underwear)?
Elf floating face down in the dog's water?
Elf wearing a hockey mask?

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Elf falling out of your cereal box in the morning like an old school "prize?"
Elf curled up in your underwear drawer (may or may not be wearing your underwear)?
Elf floating face down in the dog's water?
Elf wearing a hockey mask?

All creepy. Well it depends on what underwear he was weraing? Are they thongs or granny panties?.

Elf cooked in a turkey cavity-creepy
Elf snuggling with husband-creepy
Elf floating in your soup pot-creepy
Doorbell rings, run to the door,look down.....ELF-creepy
Elf sitting on the couch watching Jersey Shore-creepy
Framed picture of Elf wides up mysteriously on the wall-creepy

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

This sounds eerily familiar to a game that my family plays.

DH and I received this one really random really weird wedding gift from some really rich person we don't know well. It's like, a chicken, standing on one leg, mounted on a base. A wedding gift? We turned it into the extended family pet ~ but the creepy family pet. The game is simple, leave the chicken in the most random possible spot when visiting another family members house. Don't get caught. Often 4 or 6 months will go between exchanges, so you sort of forget about it.......then you find the chicken in your microwave wearing lingerie or something.

I swear I may break my no picture rule just to show you a photo of this chicken. Seriously I could not have dreamed up a weirder wedding gift. Rich people can be really weird.

Pages