Equal Pay - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Equal Pay

  1. #21
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    What law is he making?

    Part off the checks and balances is that the executive branch can propose laws (e.g., President Bush proposed NCLB). As can the average citizen (e.g. Marc Klaas, John Walsh). The demise of democracy is when we can't look past whose ideas they are.
    He did not propose a law.. he signed it into law himself by executive order... "what law is he making?"---- OP... seriously.. why do you need me to quote what we are discussing?

    I do NOT care whose idea it is.. nor if it is a good idea.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  2. #22
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,538

    Default

    While I agree that Executive order is a terribly abused thing that should be done away with other than procedural issues, it really is a separate debate.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #23
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    He did not propose a law.. he signed it into law himself by executive order... "what law is he making?"---- OP... seriously.. why do you need me to quote what we are discussing?

    I do NOT care whose idea it is.. nor if it is a good idea.
    The executive order addresses the federal government’s gender wage gap by mandating that contractors publish wage data — by gender and race — to ensure compliance with equal-pay laws. The order also prohibits contractors from retaliating against employees who compare salaries.
    Sorry, still not seeing how he is making laws.

  4. #24
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    While I agree that Executive order is a terribly abused thing that should be done away with other than procedural issues, it really is a separate debate.
    I don't think you can do away with it completely. President Bush created the President's Commision on Excellence in Special Ed via executive order. President Carter established the Defense Meritorious Service Medal via Execution Order. Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. Should Congress have passed those first and let the president sign it into law? (A) It takes away presidential power and (B) Would waste a lot of time.

    whether I agree with the firing of the air traffic controllers or not, I think it was necessary for the president to exert his power at the time.

  5. #25
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    I don't think you can do away with it completely. President Bush created the President's Commision on Excellence in Special Ed via executive order. President Carter established the Defense Meritorious Service Medal via Execution Order. Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. Should Congress have passed those first and let the president sign it into law? (A) It takes away presidential power and (B) Would waste a lot of time.

    whether I agree with the firing of the air traffic controllers or not, I think it was necessary for the president to exert his power at the time.
    I think there should be special circumstances where it is allowed. Sweeping changes I do not think it should be.
    Rivergallery likes this.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #26
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,119

    Default

    Well seeing as these special circumstances don't exist and Obama is not doing anything different then those he came before him, i don't see how one get all riled up about him issuing executive orders...i mean unless people are getting riled up at every executive order both from his presidency and the thousands of executive orders that came before him too.

    Anyway...Equal pay anyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions