The "F" word

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545
The "F" word

Grammys: Jack White F-Bomb Passes Censors During 'Love Interruption' Performance - The Hollywood Reporter

This is a question that I have seriously always wondered. What makes the "F" word so much worse than any other curse word? It is not something I say, but I do wonder what makes it worse than every other word?

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3303

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Grammys: Jack White F-Bomb Passes Censors During 'Love Interruption' Performance - The Hollywood Reporter

This is a question that I have seriously always wondered. What makes the "F" word so much worse than any other curse word? It is not something I say, but I do wonder what makes it worse than every other word?

Just cultural I think. We've deemed it as such. Probably has to do with the fact that it is sexual in nature (even though we don't always use it that way). And american culture, at least, can be funny about sex.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

There are other words dealing with sex that are not treated the same way. It just does not make sense to me that that one word would be so much more vial than any other word in the English language.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3303

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

There are other words dealing with sex that are not treated the same way. It just does not make sense to me that that one word would be so much more vial than any other word in the English language.

Other curse words you mean?

I don't think any curse word being more vial than another makes any sense really...yet humans like to rank things. Something has to take each place i guess.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

"KimPossible" wrote:

Other curse words you mean?

Yes, why is this curse word so much worse than any other curse word. There are others that I think have a much stronger meaning, that are not treated as strongly.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3303

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Yes, why is this curse word so much worse than any other curse word. There are others that I think have a much stronger meaning, that are not treated as strongly.

I meant what other curse words were sexual that aren't treated as 'more offensive' than non sexual ones

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

Just a few at the top of my head (again, I do not use this language. Just trying to figure it out) ***** or **** are both sexual in nature. There are other non-sexual terms that I think are worse, but would not get the same media attention that this one word has gotten.

ETA - That did not help, because the words were edited out. Wh_re and Sl_t were the words I used.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I think that the C*unt word is much worse in terms of the reaction one would get if one used it in normal conversation. My girlfriends and I aren't shy about dropping an F bomb, around here it just isn't that big of a deal when one is goofing around or telling a story or something. I'd never use it around my kids or someone I don't know very well/am not very close with/know that they wouldn't be offended by it.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

To clarify, what I am trying to figure out is what makes someone using this word worthy of the front page of ABC news. What other word does that?

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3303

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Just a few at the top of my head (again, I do not use this language. Just trying to figure it out) ***** or **** are both sexual in nature. There are other non-sexual terms that I think are worse, but would not get the same media attention that this one word has gotten.

ETA - That did not help, because the words were edited out. Wh_re and Sl_t were the words I used.

I suppose. But i mean as far as name calling goes...I think I'd be more offended for being called those things compared to being called a B_tch. (not that i'd want to be called any of them) Well, actually i don't mind being called a b*tch light hearetedly

I still maintain that our culture weighs sexual interpretation into the mix.

I think in this instance its newsworthy because of the fact that its bleeped out and there is a novelty towards hearing it on television that makes people want to talk about it.

I mean overall, like i said before i agree with you that putting more weight on one swear word over another feels arbitrary...i just think some have to take the spot over others, because its human nature to weigh and measure.

I also agree with Melissa that overall the word doesn't hold THAT much weight. I work in a place where swear words fly constantly. The F word is extremely common. Wh_re or Sl_t not so much. But that might be more due to the fact that the F word is very versatile and the others not as much. I think it might make people squirm though to hear those words at work while the F-bomb does not.

And the C word? I almost never hear it EVER....i feel like its almost unmentionable.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3179

"Potter75" wrote:

I think that the C*unt word is much worse in terms of the reaction one would get if one used it in normal conversation. My girlfriends and I aren't shy about dropping an F bomb, around here it just isn't that big of a deal when one is goofing around or telling a story or something. I'd never use it around my kids or someone I don't know very well/am not very close with/know that they wouldn't be offended by it.

I agree with this. I hear the f-word at work a lot but not the c-word!

I don't really react to the F-word but I do my best not to use it around the kids or people I don't know.

I really hate the word b*itch and the one time somebody used it lightly in reference to me I let her know it was not okay. It just really bothers me for some reason. I don't mind saying someTHING is one, but if you're talking about a person, it means someone who is just mean and nasty and don't want anyone calling me that. I would not be offended if someone told me I was a f**ker, though, because that sounds more playful.

SO to me, that is NOT one of the worst words at all. I don't know why it's a big deal out there in the world.

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1530

I cannot think of a single situation where the word c_nt would be okay. I think it is much worse then then f_ck

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"mom3girls" wrote:

I cannot think of a single situation where the word c_nt would be okay. I think it is much worse then then f_ck

I agree that it's like the most foul word ever....however, I have encountered a couple of people in my life that have been worthy of the word. Not that I ever called them that word, but yeah I probably thought it.

When I was a waitress many years ago there were a couple of evil female customers....like, fru-itz of the deveeel evil...and before they would leave after their lunch break we would say "See you next time" aka "C U Next Time". We never actually said the C word, but the sentiment was there, for sure. My bad Wink

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

I would not be offended if someone told me I was a f**ker, though, because that sounds more playful.

.

This made me laugh. DH and I will (very occasionally and not in front of other people and certainly not in front of T) react with mock annoyance to each other by saying "You f*cker." Totally 100% meant as a joke, and it makes us both laugh every time. It totally *is* playful. It's meant to make the other person laugh, not meant as a serious insult.

bunnyfufu's picture
Joined: 10/21/05
Posts: 203

I have thought about this quite a bit. Read a book all about the word f*** and did a paper about it long ago in a linguistics class. I argued that in fact, f*** is the most useful and versatile word in the English language. Verb, Noun, prefix, suffix, interjective. . . you name it, F*** works.

Why is it the worst? While I don't particularly feel that it's so bad, it has to do with agreements in culture. To the point of FCC regulation. We are a people who likes boundaries to be clear and that is a decided and agreed upon limit. Yet again proving it's marvelous utility.

Language and cultural norms are always changing and evolving and c*** shows itself smartly to be taking up the place of f***. From a linguistic perspective, I think it is fabulous and shows the power and weight that women's opinions carry.

F*** is posited to be a contraction of Fornication Under Consent of the King. Allowable rape - via war & pillaging. Now with c*** taking the lead in offensiveness, we may be seeing a shift to where we have less of the war-rape scenario, because we culturally no longer accept it, to finding a slur aimed at the beautiful lady-parts more offensive.

Progress people!

Smile

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4087

I don't think it's that "the F word" is so much worse than other curse words, but that it's become a more common word to use in general and is, therefore, more likely to be used in the wrong place, such as live TV.

I can't link to any particular video (thanks, work computer YouTube ban!) but Google George Carlin and watch his "seven words you can't say on television" routine. Hilarious. And shown on TV. Because apparently if you say them all smashed together really fast, they become one new & different word that is not banned on TV. Blum 3

bunnyfufu's picture
Joined: 10/21/05
Posts: 203
Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4087

^ thanks!

Log in or register to post comments