Father punished for making son walk home - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Father punished for making son walk home

  1. #11
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,356

    Default

    10 - 25 feet wide shoulders is what it says in the article but its not what i see in those pictures...so what is actually true on the stretch he had to walk could change my mind. Article also says that people walk there a lot so i find it highly unlikely its a stretch like whats in those pictures. Routes often vary a lot, especially in rural areas from one town or section to the next.

    I'm so glad my state doesn't have a law telling me what age I'm allowed to leave my kids home alone....because I think we live in a world of over-protectiveness and children lack a lot of independence and some whackjob would make it a lot higher age limit than i ever would.

    Assuming the description in the article of the stretch he had to walk home was correct...statistically the child was probably safer walking then he was in the car with his father.

    Every choice has risk involved. I just read this article as it was shared by a few of my FB friends...same thing. Drives me nuts that stuff like what happened to this woman actually happens: The day I left my son in the car - Salon.com
    Last edited by KimPossible; 06-04-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    AlyssaEimers and mom3girls like this.

  2. #12
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,781

    Default

    If we prosecuted every parent that let their 8 year old outside by themselves or to walk or ride bike throughout their neighborhood alone there would be no time or resources left to prosecute real criminals.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #13
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,516

    Default

    Kim I read that article today and it really struck a chord with me. How awful for that mom.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  4. #14
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    If we prosecuted every parent that let their 8 year old outside by themselves or to walk or ride bike throughout their neighborhood alone there would be no time or resources left to prosecute real criminals.
    I'm usually the one advocating in favor of "free range" kids. This is different. This is not about "letting" your child do something they want to do, in which case a parent would prepare them for what to expect, how to stay safe, and what to do in an emergency. This is about forcing a child to do something that most children at that age are not ready to do on their own on a moments' notice. It was not even out of necessity such as the car broke down & the babies were asleep & he was sent to walk home to get mom, but solely for punishment for not giving his dad an answer his dad approved of. He was probably scared out of his wits, which is probably why the police were called. I'm sure if the friend had stopped & the child had said, "Yeah, my dad finally let me walk home alone the last bit," or, "No thanks, I'm fine, I don't need a ride," then we would have never heard about it. And the police and judge are local, they know the stretch of road where this occurred, and if *they* think there's too much traffic on it for an 8-year-old to be safe walking alone, then I'm not going to second-guess them.
    Last edited by Spacers; 06-04-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  5. #15
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,356

    Default

    I totally second guess stuff like this because of the article that I linked to. I think people deem stuff negligent or unsafe all the time when it's really not... So yes, I would like to see the road before I believe those in our judicial system. I think you are making tons of assumptions about the scenario. Just because you think most kids would be unprepared does not mean this child was not prepared. You don't know either way. And if you are not crossing roads, walking home is not rocket science... There are some basic safety precautions that need to be driven home, but let's not act like the father dropped him off at the top of Mt. Everest. As for being scared and upset being why the cops were called? Totally disagree that you can assume that. In the article I linked to, the mother was reported and her child in the car was NOT upset at all. It just takes one "horrified" person who doesn't like the fact that not everyone hovers over their child 24/7..no terrified child actually needed.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 06-05-2014 at 07:40 AM.

  6. #16
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    I'm usually the one advocating in favor of "free range" kids. This is different. This is not about "letting" your child do something they want to do, in which case a parent would prepare them for what to expect, how to stay safe, and what to do in an emergency. This is about forcing a child to do something that most children at that age are not ready to do on their own on a moments' notice. It was not even out of necessity such as the car broke down & the babies were asleep & he was sent to walk home to get mom, but solely for punishment for not giving his dad an answer his dad approved of. He was probably scared out of his wits, which is probably why the police were called. I'm sure if the friend had stopped & the child had said, "Yeah, my dad finally let me walk home alone the last bit," or, "No thanks, I'm fine, I don't need a ride," then we would have never heard about it. And the police and judge are local, they know the stretch of road where this occurred, and if *they* think there's too much traffic on it for an 8-year-old to be safe walking alone, then I'm not going to second-guess them.
    A parent has every right to discipline however they see fit as long as the child is not in danger. If it is safe for a child to voluntarily go for a walk alone, it is also safe for a child to have to walk home when they do not want to. If the child is throwing a temper fit has nothing at all to do with it. It is either safe for a child to walk alone or it is not. How happy the child is about it does not matter in the least.

    There is also nothing at all in the article that would lead me to believe this was the child's first walk ever. My 9 year old who is not much older than the child in the OP has been going for walks with us for years. Even though she has never walked by herself, she would know how. I would be very surprised to meet an 8 year old that did not know how to walk down the side of the road without walking out into traffic.

    ~Bonita~

  7. #17
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    Kim I did post some pics of the highway on page 1.

    When I googled this more articles popped up and referenced that the boy was crying on the side of the road when he was picked up.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  8. #18
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    Kim I did post some pics of the highway on page 1.

    When I googled this more articles popped up and referenced that the boy was crying on the side of the road when he was picked up.
    I would be crying too if I were just punished by my father. That does not mean he was traumatized by having to walk a mile home. That would be an assumption.

    I responded in regards to the pictures you posted....they do not match the description in the original article. A route like that can vary greatly from one area to the next...i would like to see the part of the route he actually walked on. I also said that if the description given in the first article (large shoulders, people walking and biking) is not accurate, then the condition of the road could change my mind.

    And really...a mile is not long at all. At a leisurely pace, that is less than twenty minutes.

    ETA: Really my main point is, the condition of the road is the only thing that would change my mind. None of this stuff about the child being upset or needing to walk a mile alone. AND, i don't think it should warrant arrest or a criminal record either way. But thats just me! I don't like the government nosing into every parenting choice I or any other parent may make.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 06-05-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    MissyJ and AlyssaEimers like this.

  9. #19
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,516

    Default

    I think a boy watching his father be arrested is more traumatic that walking down a road on his own.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  10. #20
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    I think a boy watching his father be arrested is more traumatic that walking down a road on his own.
    Can you just imagine the guilt that little boy must be feeling? My Rocco is the same age and he would just feel terrible if something like this happened and he would feel like he betrayed his dad.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions