Fired due to abusive ex - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Fired due to abusive ex

  1. #31
    Posting Addict mom2robbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    My husband has his secret clearance and would not lose his job for this. Now- he could concievably lose his clearance or raise eyebrows for posting very intimate information all over a very public forum, using his real name, family location, and talking about his job etc. it's so interesting to me that you are so sure that you would lose your job if someone committed a crime against you due to the super secret nature of your job but you write very intimate details of your cervical mucous and your family and whatnot without any worries of recourse. It's strange to me.
    Since I no longer work for the feds or plan to, plus I never said anything about what my job is I have no worries. I know what my security documents say and I know what I have disclosed. But that does not matter.

    and it does not really matter. I will not be replying on this post again, not because you made me upset, you do not have that power but due to other circumstances in my life
    Margaret (44)
    Sean (38 )
    Robbie (8 )
    Bailey (April 2, 2011)


    "The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind." Caroline Myss

  2. #32
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    If I was an administrator at Newton, and I could see into the future, I would let go of the shooter's mother if she worked there. I know it would be unfair to her, but the life of each of the precious snowflakes in that school are more important than someone's job.
    Yea, but if we could see into the future the guy would have been in jail and she would have no trouble keeping her job. The facts are that we have no way of knowing which teachers, coaches, babysitters our kids are left with have family members that are going to lose it one day. Might as well keep your kids at home and never go out....oh, except it could be your neighbors or ......
    Potter75 and blather like this.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  3. #33
    Community Host Minx_Kristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Isle of Man, UK - Anything Topic board Mod
    Posts
    3,731

    Default

    I think it is terrible that she got fired, however I do understand where the school are coming from.

    Surely there was another way around this?

    xx
    Me - Kristi, 30
    DD - Leia, July 5 2008

    I luurrrrrve to lurk!

  4. #34
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    If I was an administrator at Newton, and I could see into the future, I would let go of the shooter's mother if she worked there. I know it would be unfair to her, but the life of each of the precious snowflakes in that school are more important than someone's job.

    But thats the whole point. The person who shot up Newton had ZERO connection to the school. That is why I am so totally confused at the debators point in even bringing it up. I mean, if we are playing the "If I Could see into the future" game, okay, I guess. I've never played that game as a debate tactic, though. Using Newton as an argument would only make sense if one was arguing that one should never ever let their children leave the home (or be near Daddy, really), or actually, the home is like the third leading cause of childhood deaths and accidents ~~~~~ so where DO you stash the children? Newton is an argument about how SENSELESS things happen, as it was SENSELESS. It has nothing to do with what administrators did or did not do right or wrong. Again, you are trying to mock me using the words "precious snowflakes" but you debate point is 100% emotional and 0% rational. So yes, the precious snowflakes would, alas, not have been saved in your future reality by firing Nancy Lanzy, as she did not work there.

    Now, if you want to play, lets imagine the future AND ALTER THE PRESENT, thats just too wacky of a game, I don't want to play.


    The Wall Street Journal first cast doubt on Lanza's connection to the school. "No one has heard of her," Lillian Bittman, a former school board official, told the Journal. "Teachers don’t know her." "Relatives" told ABC News she may have volunteered there, but she wasn't a teacher. A parent told the Associated Press Lanza was a substitute, but they couldn't verify that with any records at the school. The Stanford Advocate reported the same thing. So, which is it?
    RELATED: How the Internet Got the Wrong Lanza
    The Newtown area superintendant said Lanza was not a teacher at the school and was not in their database at all on the Today show Saturday morning. It would appear she has no major connection to the school at all.
    RELATED: Adam Lanza: What We Think We Know About the Apparent Newtown Shooter
    So why Lanza targeted the school remains unclear. NBC News' Pete Williams reported Lanza was in an altercation recently with three school officials, but it wasn't known over what. The Hartford Courant's Dave Altimari reports Lanza focused on two classrooms but there's no known connection between Lanza and any of the teachers or students in the classes.
    blather likes this.

  5. #35
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    But thats the whole point. The person who shot up Newton had ZERO connection to the school. That is why I am so totally confused at the debators point in even bringing it up. I mean, if we are playing the "If I Could see into the future" game, okay, I guess. I've never played that game as a debate tactic, though. Using Newton as an argument would only make sense if one was arguing that one should never ever let their children leave the home (or be near Daddy, really), or actually, the home is like the third leading cause of childhood deaths and accidents ~~~~~ so where DO you stash the children? Newton is an argument about how SENSELESS things happen, as it was SENSELESS. It has nothing to do with what administrators did or did not do right or wrong. Again, you are trying to mock me using the words "precious snowflakes" but you debate point is 100% emotional and 0% rational. So yes, the precious snowflakes would, alas, not have been saved in your future reality by firing Nancy Lanzy, as she did not work there.

    Now, if you want to play, lets imagine the future AND ALTER THE PRESENT, thats just too wacky of a game, I don't want to play.
    I am confused.. from the links ----

    "As for the rest of his family, we know his mother taught kindergarten at Sandy Hook Elementary. NBC News is reporting that her body was found in the home they shared, which appears to be located at this Newtown address listed to a Nancy J. Lanza. (The Associated Press reports Nancy as the mother's name as well.) The two had an "argument" this morning, sources say, after which Lanza reportedly killed his mother and drove her car to the school, along with three guns purchased by and registered to Nancy. His father, is Peter Lanza, a vice president of taxes for GE Energy Financial Services who lives in Stamford, Connecticut, according to The Stamford Advocate. Peter does not appear to have had recent contact with Adam, and neither he nor his brother were connected to the incident. Adam does appear to have had a girlfriend who the AP says has gone missing, along with a friend of his. Stay tuned to our live blog for more updates." Adam Lanza: What We Think We Know About the Apparent Newtown Shooter - Rebecca Greenfield - The Atlantic Wire
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  6. #36
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    I am confused.. from the links ----

    "As for the rest of his family, we know his mother taught kindergarten at Sandy Hook Elementary. NBC News is reporting that her body was found in the home they shared, which appears to be located at this Newtown address listed to a Nancy J. Lanza. (The Associated Press reports Nancy as the mother's name as well.) The two had an "argument" this morning, sources say, after which Lanza reportedly killed his mother and drove her car to the school, along with three guns purchased by and registered to Nancy. His father, is Peter Lanza, a vice president of taxes for GE Energy Financial Services who lives in Stamford, Connecticut, according to The Stamford Advocate. Peter does not appear to have had recent contact with Adam, and neither he nor his brother were connected to the incident. Adam does appear to have had a girlfriend who the AP says has gone missing, along with a friend of his. Stay tuned to our live blog for more updates." Adam Lanza: What We Think We Know About the Apparent Newtown Shooter - Rebecca Greenfield - The Atlantic Wire
    That was false information. The media had it wrong.

    Nancy Lanza Reportedly Wasn't a Teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #37
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    I am confused.. from the links ----

    "As for the rest of his family, we know his mother taught kindergarten at Sandy Hook Elementary. NBC News is reporting that her body was found in the home they shared, which appears to be located at this Newtown address listed to a Nancy J. Lanza. (The Associated Press reports Nancy as the mother's name as well.) The two had an "argument" this morning, sources say, after which Lanza reportedly killed his mother and drove her car to the school, along with three guns purchased by and registered to Nancy. His father, is Peter Lanza, a vice president of taxes for GE Energy Financial Services who lives in Stamford, Connecticut, according to The Stamford Advocate. Peter does not appear to have had recent contact with Adam, and neither he nor his brother were connected to the incident. Adam does appear to have had a girlfriend who the AP says has gone missing, along with a friend of his. Stay tuned to our live blog for more updates." Adam Lanza: What We Think We Know About the Apparent Newtown Shooter - Rebecca Greenfield - The Atlantic Wire

    She didn't work there. Ever. She didn't volunteer there. She had no connection to the school. As Gloria stated, the Media was wrong. I have no idea why Newton even entered this debate, really. I'd love it if someone would explain it to me.
    blather likes this.

  8. #38
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    She didn't work there. Ever. She didn't volunteer there. She had no connection to the school. As Gloria stated, the Media was wrong. I have no idea why Newton even entered this debate, really. I'd love it if someone would explain it to me.
    I don't see how it is irrelevant to the debate when that is kind of the reason they fired her is because they were afraid something like Newtown would happen. Just because it turned out that that the shooter's mother didn't work at the school in that case doesn't mean that there haven't been other shootings that did happen at the place where someone worked.
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 06-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #39
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I don't see how it is irrelevant to the debate when that is kind of the reason they fired her is because they were afraid something like Newtown would happen. Just because it turned out that that the shooter's mother didn't work at the school in that case doesn't mean that there haven't been other shootings that did happen at the place where someone worked.
    But when you say "something like Newtown" you imply that Newtown was about a stalking ex. It wasnt. You know? Thats what I don't get.

    I can't think of a case where a man behind bars hurt school children. Can anyone?

  10. #40
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    The US has some pretty effed up laws, IMO. I can't believe people can just be cut loose like that with nothing more than a "sorry 'bout that". "Cause" by the legal definition means the employee has done something illegal or has violated a code of ethics or explicit term of a contract or something like that - something that gives the employer the ability to fire an employee on the spot with no pay owing. "Cause" does NOT mean, as in this case "Well, we were worried about her violent ex so in the interest of the kids decided to fire her".) Doesn't work that way and I say hellz ya she should sue. I'm not a fan of the highly letigious nature of the U.S. - seems like everyone has a reason to sue, or so they think (general "you", and not every single person, obviously), but holy moly this woman would most definitely have a valid claim in Canada. Employees are protected here. Maybe she doesn't have a human rights kind of claim, but man - where are the employment standards?????

    Sure, any employer can terminate any employee - but there are RULES and stipulations. I would LOVE to read her contract. I highly doubt anyone in their right mind would sign a contract that states that they can get canned for any reason at any time, with no pay in lieu of notice and no severance terms laid out in writing.

    I cannot feel anything for the school board. They did the wrong thing. I don't care whose best interest they claim they were serving.
    ftmom and blather like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions