Flu Shots

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560
Flu Shots

11 Reasons Why Flu Shots Are More Dangerous Than The Flu Itself | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information

Do you get an annual flu shot? Should they be required? Are they dangerous?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

We get the flu shot.

Mandatory...not sure on that yet.

Dangerous? No more than other vaccinations.

I'm pro vac though. So flu shots don't bother me.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4099

I always get the flu shot and I make sure my kids get it. My DH has often refused to get it and two years he's been wiped out by the flu for over a month. Tiven did get H1N1 but that was before a vaccine had been developed. She was really sick for a while, and one of the boys at her school lost his dearest babysitter to H1N1 that year. The flu shot is one of the few vaccines that I'm really adamant about.

I have no idea what that website is, but I only got through #5 on their list and my eyeballs were exhausted from all the eye-rolling I was doing. Flat-out lies. And surprise, surprise, absolutely no references for anything they claim. Because it's lies.

fuchsiasky's picture
Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 955

We don't get the flu shot. Kaiya and I rarely get the flu so it hasn't seemed necessary. (Last time she had it for less than 18 hours.) I would rather strengthen the immune system than vaccinate in this case. We vax for everything else though. I do think that Rob and DSD should get it though as they get every single flu and it wipes them out completely. Rob will when we can get him to the clinic. DSD refuses as she hates shots.

Now if they ever make a shot for colds I am so getting it!

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3183

We never get the flu shot. In my anecdotal, non-professional research I have discovered the some people get the shot, and some don't, and some people get the flu, and some don't, and there is no correlation between them. People who get the shot sometimes get the flu and sometimes don't, and people who don't get the shot sometimes get the flu, but sometimes don't.

I don't see any reason to get it...I don't think it is particularly effective.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3309

"Spacers" wrote:

I have no idea what that website is, but I only got through #5 on their list and my eyeballs were exhausted from all the eye-rolling I was doing. Flat-out lies. And surprise, surprise, absolutely no references for anything they claim. Because it's lies.

You got through 5? I got through the first one and couldn't be bothered to read what comes next.

I'm kind of half hearted about the flu shot. We get it sometimes and sometimes we don't. If it seems like we have good opportunity (like the kids checkups conveniently put me in the office at the time its offered) we do it.

Cecilia was sick at her check up this year so she didn't get it that day. I might bring her back to get one...or I might forget to do that and she will end up going flu shot-less.

I do agree with Laurie that it seems a bit wishy washy, but the benefit of being protected against a couple of strains just seems worth it to me if someone is right there and ready to offer it.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

We never get the flu shot.. no point really.. our immune systems are strong enough to fight off the flu.

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1533

Those of us in my family that do get shots skip the flu shot. (2 of my children are not completely vaccinated) I would rather focus on the boosting our immune system and work on avoiding coming in contact with the virus (good hand washing, not touching stuff at stores etc

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

We always get the flu shot. Ben's asthma is triggered by respiratory viruses. We'll do whatever we can to keep our kid out of the hospital. This year the kids had the nasal spray instead of the shot.

eta - That article was a bunch of bullcrap. Probably written by Jenny McCarthy. No, shots should not be mandatory, and no, the shot isn't dangerous.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

Not sure which exact issues you are saying are a lie.. and not sure I really want to debate it.. but I will debate ONE... thermisol is in SOME.. according to the CDC.. so the doctor telling you there is no mercury in any vaccines is NOT true.. and yet the statement that Mercury is in ALL vaccines.. or in ALL flu vaccines is not true either.. a true statement would be.. Mercury is still in SOME flu vaccines.. If you are worried about mercury in your vaccines ask to see the packaging on the vaccine.

CDC - Thimerosal and 2013-2014 Seasonal Flu Vaccines | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4111

We don't get flu shots. Here is another article stating they are worthless.

Johns Hopkins Scientist Slams Flu Vaccine | HealthSprout

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Not sure which exact issues you are saying are a lie.. and not sure I really want to debate it.. but I will debate ONE... thermisol is in SOME.. according to the CDC.. so the doctor telling you there is no mercury in any vaccines is NOT true.. and yet the statement that Mercury is in ALL vaccines.. or in ALL flu vaccines is not true either.. a true statement would be.. Mercury is still in SOME flu vaccines.. If you are worried about mercury in your vaccines ask to see the packaging on the vaccine.

CDC - Thimerosal and 2013-2014 Seasonal Flu Vaccines | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

Who are you talking to?

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4099

Thimerosal is only in the multiple-dose vials that are used to fill many syringes, because once opened the vial is exposed to bacteria & fungi. It's easy to avoid Thimerosal in a flu vaccine. Just ask for the single dose pre-prepped syringe or the nasal spray. Those will never have Thimerosal because there's no need for it, they're used and there's nothing left that needs to be preserved.

We're lucky to live on the other side of the world from where Influenza starts its rounds every year or I think many of you wouldn't be so blase about it. And if you'd ever had it, or known someone personally who had it, you probably wouldn't be so blase about it. Influenza is a very serious illness that routinely kills hundreds of people every year before a vaccine can be made for that year's most dangerous strains. True, most of the people who die already have compromised immune systems, but even healthy people are wiped out by it for weeks. It's not something you can shake in a few days like the normal run-of-the-mill viruses where you can take some Sudafed & Tylenol & plow on with your life. I'm not worried about dying from Influenza, but me being off work for a month would wipe us out financially, no doubt about it. Having my DH out of commission for a month wiped me out emotionally & physically from trying to do everything myself for both kids in addition to taking care of him; I've made him get a flu shot every year since then because I'm just not going through that again. And when Tiven had it, she was out of school for nearly three weeks; thankfully it was just preschool, I can't imagine her missing that much real school. One of my neighbors was perfectly healthy and never got a flu shot, relying on his supposedly strong immune system. He got sick with Influenza last year and it triggered kidney failure. He had to take medical retirement because he was missing so much work, and he might need a transplant if his kidney function doesn't improve. Because he didn't get a flu shot. I just don't get the thinking on this one.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

Yeah, what Stacy said in that first paragraph. I'm all good with anyone who does a little research and makes a sound decision not to get the flu shot. That's fine - I personally don't care what someone else who has done their homework and still chooses not to get the flu shot does. It's the conspiracy theorists and paranoid anti-vaxers who create such a scare - a scare that spreads faster that the friggin flu does - so that masses of people avoid getting the vaccine and lo and behold - a massive outbreak of the flu. Pisses me off, actually.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

[DP

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"Spacers" wrote:

Thimerosal is only in the multiple-dose vials

POINT is..... Mercury is in (ETA SOME)Flu shots.. and those that do not have all the information... do not know which ones do and which ones do not. and their doctors are saying that flu shots do not.. and that is a lie.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Rivergallery" wrote:

POINT is..... Mercury is in (ETA SOME)Flu shots.. and those that do not have all the information... do not know which ones do and which ones do not. and their doctors are saying that flu shots do not.. and that is a lie.

Who are these people, specifically? Is there some kind of cover up by family doctors to lie to their patients, or is this the heavy hand of 'big pharma' influencing doctors to misrepresent the risks/advantages of the flu vaccine? If you have some statistics as to the number of people who have been lied to by their doctors please cite. I don't care about somebody that you know, or somebody you heard it through. You talk like these lying doctors are in vast numbers or something.

eta - And the point of my post, which I forgot to post, is that the kind of mercury that is a neurotoxin and that the paranoid crowd is throwing around in conjunction with the scary word 'thimerosal' isn't even the same kind of mercury that causes neurologicial problems. It's a totally different chemical compound and has never ever been proven to be harmful.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

In this thread YOU said that the statements in the OP link were a LIE so I picked one.. and it wasn't a lie. There is Mercury in (some) Flu Vaccines.

SO the WHO.... would be YOU.

The Link said Mercury as well as other toxins.. it is fact things like Formaldehyde are in the flu vax.

CDC - Vaccine Ingredients - Making the Vaccine Decision - Parents - Vaccines

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4099

"Rivergallery" wrote:

POINT is..... Mercury is in (ETA SOME)Flu shots.. and those that do not have all the information... do not know which ones do and which ones do not. and their doctors are saying that flu shots do not.. and that is a lie.

The article in the OP says, "It is now a known fact that flu vaccines contain mercury."
THAT IS A LIE. The ONLY flu vaccines that contain mercury are the ones in multi-use vials. Nasal sprays and single-dose syringes do not, and those are what most people lining up at flu shot clinics are getting because no one is going to take the time to fill up a bunch of single syringes from one bottle. And while I'd love to get into all the other lies in that article, I'm not going to because I have other things to do today.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4111

From the article I posted.

For most people, says Dr. Blaylock, flu vaccines don’t prevent the flu but actually increase the odds of getting it. The mercury contained in vaccines is such a strong immune depressant that a flu shot suppresses immunity for several weeks. “This makes people highly susceptible to catching the flu,” he says. “They may even think the vaccine gave them the flu, but that’s not true — it depressed their immune system and then they caught the flu.”

Mercury overstimulates the brain for several years, says Dr. Blaylock, and that activation is the cause of Alzheimer’s and other degenerative diseases. One study found that those who get the flu vaccine for three to five years increase their risk of Alzheimer’s disease 10-fold.

Doshi asserts that influenza is a case of “disease mongering” in an effort to expand markets. He points to the fact that deaths from flu declined sharply during the middle of the 20th century, long before the huge vaccine campaigns that kicked off the 21st century.

Why do drug companies push the flu vaccine? “It’s all about money,” says Dr. Blaylock. “Vaccines are a pharmaceutical company’s dream. They have a product that both the government and the media will help them sell, and since vaccines are protected, they can’t be sued if anyone has a complication.”

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

RG and Gloria, the two of you simply don't get it. If you don't understand basic chemistry and at least try to understand the pathophysiology behind the virus I have no interest in debating with a couple of people who will believe any bunch of paranoid nonsense that they can google. I, as well, have much better things to do.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4111

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

RG and Gloria, the two of you simply don't get it. If you don't understand basic chemistry and at least try to understand the pathophysiology behind the virus I have no interest in debating with a couple of people who will believe any bunch of paranoid nonsense that they can google. I, as well, have much better things to do.

I actually didn't google that article. It was posted on FB by my niece who is a nurse complaining that they are forced to get a flu shot or wear a mask. She was stating that it ridiculous that they have to get a flu shot when they are not even proven to be effective. And she is not against vaccines just the flu shot.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4099

You might be right, it might be about money. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent on the people who refuse to get vaccinated and then get Influenza and need medical care for three or four weeks? How many millions of dollars are lost in productivity when people can't work for weeks at a time? How many people in college aren't able to finish a semester but still have to pay student loans for the classes they were enrolled in?

The only studies that have supposedly shown the flu shot is not effective are in the senior population, which is also the one hardest hit by Influenza. So supposedly the flu shot doesn't prevent any more deaths than a placebo, but the fact is that it *is* proven to reduce the effect of Influenza in those who do get it, so that might explain part of that. And in the years where the flu shot has missed the mark and not caught that year's strain here in the U.S., the effect has absolutely been notable. More people get sick, and they get sicker, than in years where the flu shot is more effective.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"Spacers" wrote:

The article in the OP says, "It is now a known fact that flu vaccines contain mercury."
THAT IS A LIE. The ONLY flu vaccines that contain mercury are the ones in multi-use vials. Nasal sprays and single-dose syringes do not, and those are what most people lining up at flu shot clinics are getting because no one is going to take the time to fill up a bunch of single syringes from one bottle. And while I'd love to get into all the other lies in that article, I'm not going to because I have other things to do today.

lol in your comment you state it is is true.. ...you say it is a lie and then say well it actually is true in some cases.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

RG and Gloria, the two of you simply don't get it. If you don't understand basic chemistry and at least try to understand the pathophysiology behind the virus I have no interest in debating with a couple of people who will believe any bunch of paranoid nonsense that they can google. I, as well, have much better things to do.

I didn't google paranoid nonsense if you notice.. all my links posted were from the CDC website... excuse me!

Log in or register to post comments