Fluff - Underwire bra - vs. not

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560
Fluff - Underwire bra - vs. not

I remember from another debate that several of you were size D or larger. Can any of you tell me if there is such a thing as a supportive bra in that size that is not underwire? If so, what are some good brands and where to you buy them? If not, how do you get the underwire to not come out and poke you?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I have not found one that I really love in a large size that doesn't have underwire. It might be a personal thing but I find that the underwire keeps my shape and without it I get saggy and makes me look heavier.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

This is the problem I have, however, I find the underwire to be uncomfortable and always comes out.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

It took me awhile to get used to them but I've worn them since HS so now I'm good.

A good underwire doesn't hurt. Might feel different but shouldn't hurt and I very rarely have one pop out unless the bra is old.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

Yes. I am DD and will NOT wear wire. Goddess makes great ones, Warner makes some. Go to biggerbras.com and also Amazon....you will find affordable ones. I hate the wire. I shun it!

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Yes. I am DD and will NOT wear wire. Goddess makes great ones, Warner makes some. Go to biggerbras.com and also Amazon....you will find affordable ones. I hate the wire. I shun it!

Sing it sister! I also hate the wire and refuse to wear it. I have ONE really pretty lacy black bra that I wear on special occassions that has underwire, but those are the occassions when I've typically thrown comfort to the wind anyway (like, if I'm wearing my lacy bra, I'm also probably wearing heels which are even worse.)

I can't really help with larger cup size bras since I am a C, but I will tell you that my pain point is that I prefer a (lightly) padded bra (not to "help out" but in case it's cold, if you know what I mean.) and it's murder trying to find a bra that is padded but does not have underwire. I found a couple at Kohl's that I like, but now I can't remember what brand they are. I'll have to look, in case they also make larger sizes.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

I love underwire. Won't buy anything else.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

I also hate underwire! It's nothing but evil torture. :evil: A well-designed bra will support you without it. Underwire IMHO is like the flying buttresses used to hold up old churches rather than rebuild them; it's lazy engineering, LOL.

I love my Goddess bras but they are pretty expensive and I can never find them in stores so I have to buy online; the good news is if you use their sizing instructions and the bra doesn't fit, they'll pay return postage & send the correct size right away. Playtex's 18-hour line of bras has a couple of styles in larger sizes without underwire and you can find them just about anywhere.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

Amazon really does have good deals on good bras with no wire. I bought a bunch there when I lost weight and needed a smaller strap size. They're great.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Amazon really does have good deals on good bras with no wire. I bought a bunch there when I lost weight and needed a smaller strap size. They're great.

This is also my problem. I have (yay) lost about 20 lbs and that is the first place it goes, so I need all new bras. Such a challenge to find something that does not make me sag, does not hurt my shoulders, and does not have underwire. Anyone want to become a millionaire? Design a better bra...

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

Yep, I'm with Gloria. I like underwire bras, Warner's especially. The cups are so smooth and you'd never know if I'm a bit chilly Wink

I keep seeing ads for the Miracle Bra. No wire, and pretty inexpensive. They look great too, but I wonder if they look that good on in real life.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 780

I'm only a C cup but I prefer underwire. Good luck!

fuchsiasky's picture
Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 955

I hate underwire. It feels horrible. I have found a couple of nice bras that work and are pretty supportive. I have both styles and like them equally.

Wirefree Bras | Shop at Penningtons

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Jessica80" wrote:

I have not found one that I really love in a large size that doesn't have underwire. It might be a personal thing but I find that the underwire keeps my shape and without it I get saggy and makes me look heavier.

Same thing. I have a really hard time finding a J anyway....but one without an underwire? haha. and actually I like them, i need the shaping and to keep 'the girls' up and at 'em.

If they are popping out, I wonder if you are washing them by hand or on delicate? If you are harsh with them in the wash the wires could snap or come out... (the reason tom is not allowed to touch my laundry!!lol)

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"smsturner" wrote:

If they are popping out, I wonder if you are washing them by hand or on delicate? If you are harsh with them in the wash the wires could snap or come out... (the reason tom is not allowed to touch my laundry!!lol)

I only hand wash under-wire bras. Maybe I have bad luck with them or something, but I normally have them pop out before they have ever been washed at all. Super frustrating to pay $20 for something and have it brake in less than a week. I would be open to an under-wire bra if I found a good quality one that was not going to brake in less than a month and was still somewhat comfortable.

b525's picture
Joined: 06/06/07
Posts: 298

I've had good luck with Fashion Bug's balconette underwire, lightly padded bras. They put the girls more-or-less where they should be, and pretty comfortably. I am starting to have the wire works its way loose - not out yet - but sort of starting to poke a bit, but I think I've had them for almost a year and a half. They give nice support and nice shaping.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I only hand wash under-wire bras. Maybe I have bad luck with them or something, but I normally have them pop out before they have ever been washed at all. Super frustrating to pay $20 for something and have it brake in less than a week. I would be open to an under-wire bra if I found a good quality one that was not going to brake in less than a month and was still somewhat comfortable.

The cheapest I can buy run about 50 bucks, because that size is only made by a couple companies. Maybe that's the difference, the more expensive are also higher quality? Maybe get a more expensive brand?

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"smsturner" wrote:

The cheapest I can buy run about 50 bucks, because that size is only made by a couple companies. Maybe that's the difference, the more expensive are also higher quality? Maybe get a more expensive brand?

I would be open to a more expensive bra if I had really good recommendations. I don't want to spend $50 on something if I don't know for sure it is going to work. Now that I have lost a little weight I am down to a size D which should be a little easier to find.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

Have you been professionally fitted, Bonita? That worked wonders for me. I found a Bali bra that fit and I just keep ordering it and ordering it.

Also, bras really differ from company to company so the Universal Bra Size chart is so very helpful! Universal Cup Sizes - HerRoom

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"blather" wrote:

Have you been professionally fitted, Bonita? That worked wonders for me. I found a Bali bra that fit and I just keep ordering it and ordering it.

Also, bras really differ from company to company so the Universal Bra Size chart is so very helpful! Universal Cup Sizes - HerRoom

I so have to do that one day. Are you nekkid from the waist up with someone's face right in your cleave or what? In all my naked freedom at home and my ability to change in a locker room carefree I am a bit skeeved by the bra fitting thing.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

I kept hearing about getting "professionally fitted" so I went to Nordstrom and they didn't even measure me, just said they didn't have anything to fit. :shock: So I went to Macy's and the lady measured around my ribcage over my shirt & sweater, which probably added half an inch so the band size was probably wrong to begin with. And then, without measuring my bust line, she declared I was a C cup. Sorry, I know for a fact that I haven't been a C cup since I was about 12. I went home and did it myself, like I always have.

It's really easy. Do it in front of a mirror so you can make sure your tape is level all the way around. Wearing your best-fitting bra, measure your ribcage right up under your breasts; round up or down to the closest even number. This is roughly your band size. Now measure around your bust line, and subtract your ribcage measurement (not the band size, the actual number you measured.) A difference of one inch is an A cup, two inches is a B cup, three inches is a C cup, and on & on. Here's where it gets tricky because few of us measure to an exact inch. If you had to round up on your band size, then you might want to round down a bit on cup size, or vice versa. Let's say your ribcage was 35.5 and bust is 38.75, that would probably be a 36C since the extra bit of band will make up for the little less of cup. Or if your ribcage was 34.5 and your bust is 36.5, a 34B would be fine. If you're in doubt and can't try them on in person, then buy one of each size, return the one that doesn't fit quite right, and then you have TWO bras that fit right! Blum 3

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Spacers" wrote:

I kept hearing about getting "professionally fitted" so I went to Nordstrom and they didn't even measure me, just said they didn't have anything to fit. :shock: So I went to Macy's and the lady measured around my ribcage over my shirt & sweater, which probably added half an inch so the band size was probably wrong to begin with. And then, without measuring my bust line, she declared I was a C cup. Sorry, I know for a fact that I haven't been a C cup since I was about 12. I went home and did it myself, like I always have.

It's really easy. Do it in front of a mirror so you can make sure your tape is level all the way around. Wearing your best-fitting bra, measure your ribcage right up under your breasts; round up or down to the closest even number. This is roughly your band size. Now measure around your bust line, and subtract your ribcage measurement (not the band size, the actual number you measured.) A difference of one inch is an A cup, two inches is a B cup, three inches is a C cup, and on & on. Here's where it gets tricky because few of us measure to an exact inch. If you had to round up on your band size, then you might want to round down a bit on cup size, or vice versa. Let's say your ribcage was 35.5 and bust is 38.75, that would probably be a 36C since the extra bit of band will make up for the little less of cup. Or if your ribcage was 34.5 and your bust is 36.5, a 34B would be fine. If you're in doubt and can't try them on in person, then buy one of each size, return the one that doesn't fit quite right, and then you have TWO bras that fit right! Blum 3

This is what I do. I was fitted professionally when I around 12, but not since. I measure myself at home. Pretty sure I would be a 42D. The problem is that I have a "Rock in a Sock" problem that makes it so I need support, but I love my comfort. Even blue jeans irritate me.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185
Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

I so have to do that one day. Are you nekkid from the waist up with someone's face right in your cleave or what? In all my naked freedom at home and my ability to change in a locker room carefree I am a bit skeeved by the bra fitting thing.

Pretty much, yes. Just like a doctor's office. Plus getting a bra that fits is an investment in your back and shoulder health.

I went to a bra store, that advertises bra fittings, not a department store. I had to make an appointment, it was like having a personal shopper too (or trying on a wedding dress!). I walked out of there feeling like a million bucks. It reduced my migraines too. Such a good thing to do.