Forcing Santa Pictures

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131
Forcing Santa Pictures

Please explain this because I just don't get it. Why do parents force their kids to sit on this mans lap while they are obviously terrified and crying and freaking out? My son finds mall Santa creepy. When we walk by him or see him getting lunch at the food court my son looks like he just saw a zombie ready to eat his brains. Now, he loves the idea of santa coming and giving presents and all the coolness of Christmas, but Santa in the flesh for some reason scares the poop out of him. So I can't see making him sit on his lap just for a picture.

So do you think it is right to make your kid sit on Santa's lap or not? To those of you who have forced the lap sitting, why do you do it?

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

We don't force them! Lol! We try to get them to do it but if they don't want to, they don't.

RebeccaA'07's picture
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

I try to get my 2 year old to sit with Santa, last year she freaked and I promptly grabbed her and we were done. We'll try again this year, hopefully with a better result. I certainly don't "force" her to sit there. If she were screaming or scared before we got up there, we'd not try.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

My DD tends to be really excited about the whole thing, until she gets in front of him, and then she doesnt want to be there anymore. But our Santa is a work 'friend' of my husbands who does the christmas party every year. He is pretty understanding and really nice to the kids. I have yet to see a screaming child, more just the nervous ones like my DD. He always gives out cookies when he first gets there so they will sit nicely and wait their turn, and then he gives out good presents (that parents bring). So he is way better than a mall santa:)

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

No'p, I don't think it's right. I never forced my DD, and in fact, this year was the first year she actually went up on the stage to see him at the mall. She initiated it.

I've never understood why parents force them, either. Maybe because they are trying so hard to get that Christmas picture for Christmas cards to send out to family and friends?

Joined: 01/06/03
Posts: 1175

We don't do Santa pictures (except for once when dh took them to the mall and they wanted it done) so I can't see ever forcing my child to do it.

We don't do the "Santa is real" thing in our house and he's just for fun/make believe so it's 100% up to my kids if they want to "see the guy dressed up" (to quote my ds a couple years ago LOL) and sit on his knee. I would never force them to do that either.

I just don't get the WHY of it all. We teach our kids not to talk to strangers/etc. and then we turn around and dump them on the knee of some old/not-so-old dressed up guy and say "SMILE!" and wonder why some of the freak out???? Nervous and needing a little "push" is one thing... freaking out/refusing and forcing the issue is another. The pictures are only cute if the child is willing.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

"Princess&ThePea" wrote:

We don't do Santa pictures (except for once when dh took them to the mall and they wanted it done) so I can't see ever forcing my child to do it.

We don't do the "Santa is real" thing in our house and he's just for fun/make believe so it's 100% up to my kids if they want to "see the guy dressed up" (to quote my ds a couple years ago LOL) and sit on his knee. I would never force them to do that either.

I just don't get the WHY of it all. We teach our kids not to talk to strangers/etc. and then we turn around and dump them on the knee of some old/not-so-old dressed up guy and say "SMILE!" and wonder why some of the freak out???? Nervous and needing a little "push" is one thing... freaking out/refusing and forcing the issue is another. The pictures are only cute if the child is willing.

DD and I had a talk about this today! She was making fun of her brother for being scared of Santa (not sure why she thinks this) and so we talked about how Santa is essentially a stranger and its OK to be scared of strangers.

I dont get the force thing either.

ange84's picture
Joined: 12/28/09
Posts: 6564

I used to take the santa photos and the amount of people who would force their screaming child onto his lap and tell me to make sure I got them smiling was insane. Yes it's nice to have that memory, but why would you force it. Then again some of those screaming photos were priceless

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I don't mind torturing my child for my own amusement. Jason has never been scared of them, but if he was I'd probably find it hilarious and want the picture to show future DIL's.

Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

We only did Santa photos the first year of my first baby. The last few years I knew already it would have wound up a disaster and didn't care to put myself through that, let alone my child.

I worked in a mall for a few years and had front row seats to the Santa castle. It was honestly tiring hearing shrieking child after child being forced onto his lap. I wish they'd make some kind of policy that if a child is visibly upset they wont take a photo.

fudd8963's picture
Joined: 12/27/07
Posts: 1630

We didn't do photos with Santa for the girls first year because of the scare of H1N1 flu (yeah, 1st time mom being overprotective!). Last year I felt that I HAD to do it since they missed out on it. They SCREAMED as soon as they saw him, so I squated down next to Santa and held them. They look PETRIFIED, but they aren't screaming. This year, at the age of 2.5, there is NO way I would force them to sit with Santa if they didn't want to. But last year they would scream if anyone they didn't know looked at them.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"culturedmom" wrote:

Please explain this because I just don't get it. Why do parents force their kids to sit on this mans lap while they are obviously terrified and crying and freaking out? My son finds mall Santa creepy. When we walk by him or see him getting lunch at the food court my son looks like he just saw a zombie ready to eat his brains. Now, he loves the idea of santa coming and giving presents and all the coolness of Christmas, but Santa in the flesh for some reason scares the poop out of him. So I can't see making him sit on his lap just for a picture.

So do you think it is right to make your kid sit on Santa's lap or not? To those of you who have forced the lap sitting, why do you do it?

We don't do pictures with santa or the easter bunny in the mall. Just not a fan of them.

Do i think its right to force them? Eh....probably not. But it doesn't phase me all that much if I see someone do it. I think the child will survive the experience.

I just am not sure why anyone would want to deal with such an experience.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

"wlillie" wrote:

I don't mind torturing my child for my own amusement. Jason has never been scared of them, but if he was I'd probably find it hilarious and want the picture to show future DIL's.

lol My DD's first year of preschool she had a huge fit about me leaving her, only on picture day. I stayed long enough for the picture, but she was mad and upset so wouldnt smile. It is the best picture EVER! It makes me smile every time I see her grumpy little face. We rarely take pics of those moments, and it is even better because it is a professional picture. And they incorporated it into the mothers day gift they made too. Priceless!

I will say though, that this year she was convinced that the photographer was scary and mean, because all she could remember was being upset, but not why.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"KimPossible" wrote:

We don't do pictures with santa or the easter bunny in the mall. Just not a fan of them.

Do i think its right to force them? Eh....probably not. But it doesn't phase me all that much if I see someone do it. I think the child will survive the experience.

I just am not sure why anyone would want to deal with such an experience.

Well I don't think it is abusive but I just don't get the point of it. Kind of like parents who make there kids take pictures with Mickey while they scream bloody murder. what is the point? plus those pictures seem to be expensive.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

It's not expensive if you take your own pictures!

carg0612's picture
Joined: 09/23/09
Posts: 1554

We dont' force them. We usually go to our zoo to do it because they have such a nice setup. The older kids love it (although my DD is getting a bit tired by it all at 10 years old).

But I totally laughed at this one because last year our youngest was 7 months old. The whole thing went really well until right after the pic was snapped - he barfed ALL OVER Santa!!!! Ahahahahah!!!! I felt awful at the time but the guy was a real pro - he just motioned for the next kid in line who unwittingly came over and sat on Santa's baby-barf covered leg thus wiping it clean - OMG!!!!!!!

I totally laughed my a$$ off on the way home. priceless, really. We still laugh about it and I imagine we always will.

Ok, that had nothing to do with forcing the kids to go but it just brought up such a juicy memory for me Smile

We'll try again this year and see how it goes. But I'll give each of the kids an opt out if they don't want to participate. Hopefully we can keep the barf at bay.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"culturedmom" wrote:

Well I don't think it is abusive but I just don't get the point of it. Kind of like parents who make there kids take pictures with Mickey while they scream bloody murder. what is the point? plus those pictures seem to be expensive.

Yep....i totally agree.

I *think* for some reason there is some sort of urge or draw to capture those moments, even if in the end, they don't look like the ideal. Its kind of like ingrained in people that you are just supposed to own those moments in photo form or you missed out on a necessary part of childhood memory keeping. Not sure what drives that....must just be that once that opportunity is gone, you don't get it back. I have no idea really.

But you know, i take pictures of my kids and sometimes i want to get a family shot and i get a defector. This happened while we were at disney just recently. Emma refused to get in the shot so I said "ok" and took it without her.

What i had was a lovely picture of four of my kids smiling and happy, as oppose to a picture of all five of them....with Emma ruining the shot with the pouty attitude of a 10 year old, which would only make her grumpier after the fact and make her maintain that attitude for longer.

My mother told me if it was her, she would rather have the shot with frowning angry emma in it than a shot of just the four of them and would have made Emma do it.

Don't understand that either! Mind you, i have plenty of shots of all 5 of them from that trip...including the one in my signature.

So i guess my point is, i think sometimes people strive for ideal and just can't come to terms with the fact that ideal isn't going to happen. And instead of nothing, they want what they think is closest to ideal. Even if it involved red faces and blood curdling screaming LOL.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"wlillie" wrote:

I don't mind torturing my child for my own amusement. Jason has never been scared of them, but if he was I'd probably find it hilarious and want the picture to show future DIL's.

*snerk*

We have a picture of Tristan crying on Santa's lap. It makes me laugh too.

In our case, we had stood in line for what felt like forever because he really wanted sit on Santa's lap. We don't even do Christmas in our house, so you can imagine that my commitment to the Santa picture was very minimal. But we stood in line forever for it, and he was fine and excited while waiting in line. But then the second that I put him on Santa's lap, he got scared and started crying. At that point, I was like "Just take the picture so we can get out of here." I wouldn't have bought the picture, but my mom was there and actually wanted it, so she bought it, and I have to say that it is pretty great. Santa looks totally unamused and T's mouth is wide open like he's screaming right in Santa's face. Pretty hysterical, actually. And he survived.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

"wlillie" wrote:

I don't mind torturing my child for my own amusement. Jason has never been scared of them, but if he was I'd probably find it hilarious and want the picture to show future DIL's.

Same here. Blum 3 You *will* get your pic taken with Santa every year, like it or not, until you're bigger than me. And then I'll bribe you for another year or two. Wink And this is coming from someone who doesn't even celebrate Christmas! But I do love Santa photos.

I buy a photo every year. During the holidays I display them in a row on the mantel, good & bad together, from Tiven as a 4-month-old baby with a big smile, to her as a 4-year-old girl with a big smile, to the year where she has tears on her face & is sitting on a box in front of him -- he had to lean down to be in the picture! The first year with both kids together, they both look pretty good, but last year Tiven is sitting up straight, nice & pretty, and Weston is screaming his head off. Oh well, sorry kids. I'll chip in on the therapy bills.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I think that last year we didn't even try to get one, or else we just did it with the big kids (who were 2 and 3 at the time, we left the baby out of it). My son always smiles and is into it ~ my daughter? Not so much. I won't make them, but I do generally give them the opportunity if we are at the mall or something.

This is kindov related, but different.....I also never make my kids give a kiss. I remember being little and my Mom making me kiss EVERYONE (like, relatives that I would see once a year or whatnot, and didn't know). I HATED it. I let my kids determine who they give physical affection to.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

"Princess&ThePea" wrote:

The pictures are only cute if the child is willing.

I disagree. Some of the cutest ones are when they're screaming or crying, and especially if there's an older angelic-looking child sitting right next to him and double-especially if Santa still has a big authentic-looking smile despite the chaos on his lap. Blum 3

Our local paper has an annual "Santa Tantrum Awards" and some of them are really cute. Wow, looking through last year, we have photos with a number of those Santas! Thankfully, most of ours are good.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2010/12/28/santa_tantrum_photos_2010.DTL&object=

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"Spacers" wrote:

I disagree. Some of the cutest ones are when they're screaming or crying, and especially if there's an older angelic-looking child sitting right next to him and double-especially if Santa still has a big authentic-looking smile despite the chaos on his lap. Blum 3

Our local paper has an annual "Santa Tantrum Awards" and some of them are really cute. Wow, looking through last year, we have photos with a number of those Santas! Thankfully, most of ours are good.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2010/12/28/santa_tantrum_photos_2010.DTL&object=

Yeahhh, i have to admit...some of the crying santa pictures are pretty cute..and others a downright funny.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6568

"Potter75" wrote:

This is kindov related, but different.....I also never make my kids give a kiss. I remember being little and my Mom making me kiss EVERYONE (like, relatives that I would see once a year or whatnot, and didn't know). I HATED it. I let my kids determine who they give physical affection to.

I think this goes back to a debate we had awhile ago about obedience. If obedience is not a big deal to you or something that you are not striving for, than it would be different. We do not do Santa so I do not have an experience there, but if I told my daughter to kiss me or someone (like grandma) and they did not obey then we would talk about that. I would do my best though to be respectful to my child. If they did not like to give kisses I would try not to ask them to do that.

Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

The only time lately that I've brought them to see Santa was when the twins were newborns and J was 15 1/2 mths, when she was really starting to absorb the holiday. The twins were fine, but J would only go as close to standing in front of him or she would would've had a fit. But the pictures (we took our own) turned out awesome (YaY for scrapping)! Last year, I didn't dare because I could only envision three munchkins screaming bloody murder and running in three different directions. I don't think a picture would've turned out well at all regardless of the expressions as it probably would've only captured one kid at a time or a parent in the middle trying to retrieve them! On the other hand, it may have made a great video, haha!

LuckyMom's picture
Joined: 09/27/02
Posts: 65

I probably shouldn't even post in this thread because I had the opposite problem and honestly don't know if it's good, bad or indifferent or if I would've forced it or not. Halloween is the witching time not only for THAT holiday but is the yearly kick off for all things Christmas where dd was concerned even when she a LO. E V E R Y S I N G L E D A Y she would ask to go see Santa at the mall. He was very believable looking and she just loved that dude and could hardly wait to go every single year. She would take the pic from the year before to show him how much she had grown until she was maybe 6 YO. LOL Even up until 5th grade, which is a little embarrassing to admit, she still wanted the pic with HER Santa as she called him despite knowing by that time of course that he wasn't real. LOL Sometimes I think she would have kept going if he wasn't replaced by someone else.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

Best Christmas card I've ever received last year. This picture with the words "Joy of the season" written on a candy cane background. He was being obnoxious and jumped in the pond (less than a foot deep) before his Mom could grab him so she made him finish the pictures crying.

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"LuckyMom" wrote:

I probably shouldn't even post in this thread because I had the opposite problem and honestly don't know if it's good, bad or indifferent or if I would've forced it or not. Halloween is the witching time not only for THAT holiday but is the yearly kick off for all things Christmas where dd was concerned even when she a LO. E V E R Y S I N G L E D A Y she would ask to go see Santa at the mall. He was very believable looking and she just loved that dude and could hardly wait to go every single year. She would take the pic from the year before to show him how much she had grown until she was maybe 6 YO. LOL Even up until 5th grade, which is a little embarrassing to admit, she still wanted the pic with HER Santa as she called him despite knowing by that time of course that he wasn't real. LOL Sometimes I think she would have kept going if he wasn't replaced by someone else.

Too funny! On a slightly different note, my DD has been asking for awhile now if it's Christmas yet, every.single.day. And today she INSISTED it was Thanksgiving (she's 4, will be 5 in Feb). She claimed her teacher TOLD her it was Thanksgiving and would NOT relent. I was just mom, so I was wrong. :rolleyes: Lol

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"wlillie" wrote:

Best Christmas card I've ever received last year. This picture with the words "Joy of the season" written on a candy cane background. He was being obnoxious and jumped in the pond (less than a foot deep) before his Mom could grab him so she made him finish the pictures crying.

LMAO

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

Jace has always sat on Santa's lap but when it comes to the Easter Bunny, he is not a fan. He cried and was scared the last time, so I said thank you anyway and left without a picture. No biggy. But making a kid scared for a minuted and snapping a picture is probably not on the list of "My kid will be in therapy." It's humorous and everyone survives.

I recorded a video of me telling Jace I ate all his Halloween candy and he was pissed and attacked me, LOL. I told him I was kidding and he smiled and laughed. Playfully teasing kids is fun, whether it's a forced Santa's lap or whatever.

Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 848

Pics with Santa is a tradition for us. It simply is a must-do, crying or not. Alana's first picture with Santa is classic. She was almost 1 and her favorite toy at the time was an old cell phone. I gave her the phone to keep her happy in line and was trying to be quick about placing her on Santa's lap and forgot to snatch the phone back. I was hoping for a quick and painless surprise pic and then planned on grabbing her back from the old dude in a hurry. What I got instead is a crying baby with the phone up to her ear like she is calling for help. It is hilarious and I treasure that picture.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

So then the reason people make their kids sit on Santa's lap for a picture when they are crying and scared is for amusement and a funny photo? I'm just tryign to understand the thinking here. I don't know, it'sone thing for a kid to be crying over a tantrum on a normal day and take a candid picture. It's another to force the crying by making them sit with a character to take the picture.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I think for most parents, the kid *wants* to be up there right until they get to Santa. I was the Easter bunny and saw hundreds of kids that were sooooo excited until it came time to actually touch the person they were waiting to see. If I knew my kid was definitely going to be scared (again, not an issue for us thankfully), I probably wouldn't bring him up there. But I'm not perfect. If I wait in line for 30-45 minutes because my kid couldn't live his life without seeing Santa/Easter Bunny/Dora/Diego/any other character, then he's damn well going to see him and I'm getting a picture.

Then there are some that have a tradition. I think it would break my heart if the next kid didn't have the same photographs Jason does. I wouldn't want him/her to grow up thinking Mom did all this cool stuff until I came along. So even if the next one is scared, he/she'll be in the pictures.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"wlillie" wrote:

I think for most parents, the kid *wants* to be up there right until they get to Santa. I was the Easter bunny and saw hundreds of kids that were sooooo excited until it came time to actually touch the person they were waiting to see. If I knew my kid was definitely going to be scared (again, not an issue for us thankfully), I probably wouldn't bring him up there. But I'm not perfect. If I wait in line for 30-45 minutes because my kid couldn't live his life without seeing Santa/Easter Bunny/Dora/Diego/any other character, then he's damn well going to see him and I'm getting a picture.

Then there are some that have a tradition. I think it would break my heart if the next kid didn't have the same photographs Jason does. I wouldn't want him/her to grow up thinking Mom did all this cool stuff until I came along. So even if the next one is scared, he/she'll be in the pictures.

Well I still can't relate. We have waited in long lines for Winnie the Pooh and Disney characters and at the last minute DD grabbed my leg and refused to go. So DH took the picture with Winnie. And I have pictures of me with characters but I still can't relate to making my kid go up if they were really scared. Again, just don't get it.

LuckyMom's picture
Joined: 09/27/02
Posts: 65

"FLSunshineMom" wrote:

Too funny! On a slightly different note, my DD has been asking for awhile now if it's Christmas yet, every.single.day. And today she INSISTED it was Thanksgiving (she's 4, will be 5 in Feb). She claimed her teacher TOLD her it was Thanksgiving and would NOT relent. I was just mom, so I was wrong. :rolleyes: Lol

Lol I can hear her now.

Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 848

"culturedmom" wrote:

So then the reason people make their kids sit on Santa's lap for a picture when they are crying and scared is for amusement and a funny photo? I'm just tryign to understand the thinking here. I don't know, it'sone thing for a kid to be crying over a tantrum on a normal day and take a candid picture. It's another to force the crying by making them sit with a character to take the picture.

I think most people hope for a happy kid with a smiling face in their Santa pic. But when the kid ends up screaming the funny photo can be just as good. I really don't think people sit and plot ways to torment their children so they can take photos of the torture.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Alana*sMommy" wrote:

I think most people hope for a happy kid with a smiling face in their Santa pic. But when the kid ends up screaming the funny photo can be just as good. I really don't think people sit and plot ways to torment their children so they can take photos of the torture.

Well I have seen kids screaming in line. Obvioulsy if the kid is fine, sits on Santas lap, starts crying and then the photo is taken in themoment that is not what the op is about. I'm talking about knowing your kid doesn;t want to go but making them go anyway. it just seems like a waste of time, money, and serves no purpose that I can understand. Thus I ask.

Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 848

"culturedmom" wrote:

Well I have seen kids screaming in line. Obvioulsy if the kid is fine, sits on Santas lap, starts crying and then the photo is taken in themoment that is not what the op is about. I'm talking about knowing your kid doesn;t want to go but making them go anyway. it just seems like a waste of time, money, and serves no purpose that I can understand. Thus I ask.

Actually, the OP just asked why some parents forced their children to sit on Santa's lap even if they were crying and terrified. You never specified that you meant crying and screaming in line. But regardless, I think you already have your answers you just happen to disagree with them (and I'm sure you're not the only one).

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I've never forced mine. I have a couple of pics (always when my kids are around 12-18 months) where they're crying, but it was a delay after they were put on Santa's lap and were about to snap the photo!! I bought the pic of course, because I would rather have a crying photo than no photo at all, but they've never been crying before hand, it's always after they're actually on his lap.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"culturedmom" wrote:

So then the reason people make their kids sit on Santa's lap for a picture when they are crying and scared is for amusement and a funny photo? I'm just tryign to understand the thinking here. I don't know, it'sone thing for a kid to be crying over a tantrum on a normal day and take a candid picture. It's another to force the crying by making them sit with a character to take the picture.

No, i think they do it because they feel its a mandatory tradition.....would like a happy photo, but a crying photo will do to, and its a matter of finding humor in the situation.

Its not purposely making the kid cry for kicks.

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

I won't force, but if he is just being shy, I will nudge.

BFrantz's picture
Joined: 11/14/11
Posts: 86

"culturedmom" wrote:

Please explain this because I just don't get it. Why do parents force their kids to sit on this mans lap while they are obviously terrified and crying and freaking out? My son finds mall Santa creepy. When we walk by him or see him getting lunch at the food court my son looks like he just saw a zombie ready to eat his brains. Now, he loves the idea of santa coming and giving presents and all the coolness of Christmas, but Santa in the flesh for some reason scares the poop out of him. So I can't see making him sit on his lap just for a picture.

So do you think it is right to make your kid sit on Santa's lap or not? To those of you who have forced the lap sitting, why do you do it?

I forced my oldest child to get a picture with santa while he screamed flailed and cried, i still have the picture even. Why did I do it? Pure selfishness, I wanted that picture and I was going to have it regardless of how he felt .. he was 2 when it happened and he is 13 now. I'm happy to report at 13 he has no negative effects of me forcing him to sit on santas lap at the age of 2 lol!

He was the only one I did it to. After that I decided I would just get small baby pictures with santa, you know while they are too small to care, because even though I have that picture, it doesn't look good, my kids face is all red, his mouth is open, and you can clearly tell he isn't happy.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"KimPossible" wrote:

No, i think they do it because they feel its a mandatory tradition.....would like a happy photo, but a crying photo will do to, and its a matter of finding humor in the situation.

Its not purposely making the kid cry for kicks.

Ah ha, that makes sense. I guess being a Jew and never havign sat on Santa's lap, I always wondered why people stood in such long lines to pay money to get a crapy picture of your child crying. I always thought the Santa thing was about the child telling Santa their list of toys and the picture was just a side note. Like in a Christmas Story where the kids stands in long line to sit on Santa's lap to tell them what they want. I didn't remember their being a picture. I guess I didn't realize that the picture was as much of the tradition as the telling of the list is.

Shoot, I had a party to circ my son, I have no problem with a little crying for tradition. lol I just didn't know the picture was the tradition. Makes much more sense now.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

I've never seen kids crying in line, it's only when they get plopped on the lap & then mom walks away. The trick with little babies is to back them up to Santa, so they don't see him, and then keep interacting with them as you back up, just far enough that they can get the shot. Blum 3 Preschool-aged kids know they're going to get a treat so even if they're hesitant they aren't usually too bad. It's the toddler time that's really rough, about 12-18 months. I have a friend whose two kids were both born in April, and she doesn't have a Santa Tantrum pic at all!

I'd never really been "into" Santa pics until my MIL showed me an album that covered 30+ years of Santa pics, from my DH as a baby until her youngest was a teenager. It was so cool to see the fashions change (both on the kids & in the Santa scene) over the years. And now she adds grandkid pics to it every year.