Is Free Birth Control like 9/11 and Pearl Harbor? - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 147
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is Free Birth Control like 9/11 and Pearl Harbor?

  1. #111
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    I think the Church should definitely have rights. I am not on a personal mission against the Church by any means, but I do think it's unreasonable to not extend this to women who choose to utilize BCP for whatever reason and that reason just none of my business.

    As Spacers pointed out, there are a lot of people who are not Catholic who work in Catholic hospitals. It's their choice to work there. I am not sure it's such a make it or break it deal as far as employment goes especially since there are lots of people struggling to just find a job and getting any sort of benefits is such a luxury.

    But as far as the debate goes: I think it's ridiculous to compare BC to such catastrophic events like 911 or Pearl Harbor. People who make such absurd comparisons are hardly worth even taking seriously.
    Aisha

  2. #112
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I am not Catholic and do not know all of the ins and outs of how their hospital works. I do think it is a slippery slop to say the church has no rights. My biggest fear is for the government to come in and say what someone can and can not preach on. It is not a huge stretch to say, ok, we pass that homosexual marriage can be. Then we say, Pastors you can not preach against homosexuality or say that it is wrong. And while we are at it, you can not preach from the Bible because we are calling it a Hate book and Hate books are not allowed. You can say that would never happen, but that is what would happen if you were able to come in say that churches do not have any rights.

    A possible solution might be something like the ADA (American's With Disability Act). It deals with all kinds of accommodation for different handicaps. There are exceptions for businesses that have less than 15 (I think) employees. That would cover the churches, but allow for the large hospitals.
    I hope a day like this never comes, which is a 'part' motivation for not taking away others' rights, lest they soon be taken away from me or my neighbor. I genuinely want to see equal rights, even if I don't believe in x thing.
    Aisha

  3. #113
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Look up birth control pills and abortion. If you believe life is at conception and not implantation then BCP could be an abortion. That is medical fact. And this also forces them to pay for the morning after pill. It doesn't matter who makes it up if that is their religious belief.
    Gloria, you know that bcps prevent ovulation. The medical fact is that conception requires and egg and sperm, and without an egg conception cannot take place so that argument holds no scientific weight. Some kind of wacky religious weight, ya sure. You can't abort something that never existed. With your argument, any non-joining of egg and sperm in the ABSENCE of bcps could be deemed an abortion. It makes no sense. Even natural family planning could be called abortion by the definition of the Catholic church. It's just so ridiculous I can't even summon the energy to even attempt to comprehend it.

  4. #114
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,760

    Default

    My memory is failing me, but didn't we already have this debate? Some people believe that BCP cause an already fertilised egg to not implant. Thus causing your body to expel it.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #115
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    I am not sure about there having been a debate but from what I've read a small percentage of the time a woman can get pregnant while taking bcp. But ovulation doesn't usually happen. Sometimes the woman doesn't take the medication properly. For the times that it does happen, it can possibly prevent implantation. And other times the woman can go on to have a normal pregnancy.

    To that I say, so can nursing affect implantation. Ibuprofen and lots of other common painkillers carry an increased risk of miscarriage. Shouldn't these things be big no no's if we're to follow with the logic of the Church??

    Ibuprofen 'can double the risk of miscarriage' | Mail Online
    Last edited by myyams; 08-04-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    Aisha

  6. #116
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,760

    Default

    I know this has been over for awhile but I did want to add in some new information that I thought would be interesting.

    Today I was talking to my BIL. He has a small window washing company with 1-4 employees depending on the season. He was talking about how this is going to directly affect his business. It will add $200-$300 a month to a barely surviving company. He said he will have no choice but to not hire a woman because he just can not afford the hirer premiums. In the end, I do not see how this gives woman more opportunities and choices.

    ~Bonita~

  7. #117
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I know this has been over for awhile but I did want to add in some new information that I thought would be interesting.

    Today I was talking to my BIL. He has a small window washing company with 1-4 employees depending on the season. He was talking about how this is going to directly affect his business. It will add $200-$300 a month to a barely surviving company. He said he will have no choice but to not hire a woman because he just can not afford the hirer premiums. In the end, I do not see how this gives woman more opportunities and choices.
    i suggest he keep quiet about that because a descrimination lawsuit could end up costing him a whole lot more.

    Is he saying it's $200 -$300/month per female employee?

  8. #118
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    i suggest he keep quiet about that because a descrimination lawsuit could end up costing him a whole lot more.

    Is he saying it's $200 -$300/month per female employee?
    After I posted this my DH said that I misunderstood. I apologize. DH said that what he said was due to the increase of $200-$300 a month he is not going to be able to add the employee he was planning on who happened to be a woman.

    I do see though how if it costs more to insure a woman that whether or not they admit it, they would lean toward hiring a man.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #119
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Anyone read the news about the 16 year old pregnant girl with Leukemia who died recently in the Dominican Republic? She might have lived if she had received proper treatment because at the time she was 9 weeks pregnant and was denied chemo because it can cause a miscarriage. And you know, saving the mother's life is against the law. A bunch of c**p and my chest hurts thinking about how this seems right to anyone.

    Dominican Republic abortion ban stops treatment for pregnant teen with cancer - CNN.com

    Pregnant Dominican teen at center of abortion debate dies - CNN.com
    Aisha

  10. #120
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I do see though how if it costs more to insure a woman that whether or not they admit it, they would lean toward hiring a man.
    Currently, it usually costs more to insure a woman than a man, regardless of any other factor, but that will change with this law. So now your BIL will be free to hire the best person for the job, male or female.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions