Free speech test? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Free speech test?

  1. #21
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    It is questionable if the violence is even related to the movie. Seems awful coincidental that it happend on 9/11 don't you think?

    Anti-Islam Filmmaker Donated Million Dollars To Obama Campaign
    One of the articles I read said that they (the film makers) specifically sent the link around 911 on purpose. So it's not really that big of a coincidence.

    Look, again, it's not like I'm saying that the Arabs that did the rioting and killing are not to blame for their own actions, because of course they are. They did it, they are responsible for it. Totally on the same page on that. I'm just saying that I think there can be more than one party who acted in the wrong (even to the point of breaking the law) in any given scenario, and it sounds to me, based on what I read in the article in the OP, that the film makers also broke US law. It's not either/or in my mind, like either the rioters are in the wrong OR the film makers are in the wrong. Legally speaking, I think they're both in the wrong, although the rioters are way more in the wrong than the film makers.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  2. #22
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    One of the articles I read said that they (the film makers) specifically sent the link around 911 on purpose. So it's not really that big of a coincidence.

    Look, again, it's not like I'm saying that the Arabs that did the rioting and killing are not to blame for their own actions, because of course they are. They did it, they are responsible for it. Totally on the same page on that. I'm just saying that I think there can be more than one party who acted in the wrong (even to the point of breaking the law) in any given scenario, and it sounds to me, based on what I read in the article in the OP, that the film makers also broke US law. It's not either/or in my mind, like either the rioters are in the wrong OR the film makers are in the wrong. Legally speaking, I think they're both in the wrong, although the rioters are way more in the wrong than the film makers.
    So do you think they should stop filmmakers from releasing the movie about killing Bin Laden? That is sure to cause violence.

    White House Must Stop Sony from Releasing 'Killing bin Laden' Film

    Not to mention that there were other reasons for the attack that had nothing to do with the movie.

    http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.ac...81474981637081
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 09-19-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #23
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So do you think they should stop filmmakers from releasing the movie about killing Bin Laden? That is sure to cause violence.

    White House Must Stop Sony from Releasing 'Killing bin Laden' Film
    I definitely don't think they should intentionally dub it in Arabic and then send a copy to the Arab news stations! I think for me, that was the part that crossed the line. Like if they had just made the movie and then someone in Egypt got a hold of it and started rioting, I would say the film makers are just expressing themselves and if Muslims don't like it, they don't have to watch it. It was the deliberately dubbing it in Arabic and sending it to them to make sure they saw it to try to provoke a reaction that really makes me think that they were kind of in the wrong too. Total sh!t-stirring, you know?
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  4. #24
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I definitely don't think they should intentionally dub it in Arabic and then send a copy to the Arab news stations! I think for me, that was the part that crossed the line. Like if they had just made the movie and then someone in Egypt got a hold of it and started rioting, I would say the film makers are just expressing themselves and if Muslims don't like it, they don't have to watch it. It was the deliberately dubbing it in Arabic and sending it to them to make sure they saw it to try to provoke a reaction that really makes me think that they were kind of in the wrong too. Total sh!t-stirring, you know?
    So in that case who crossed the line? The film makers or the Arab news stations that ran it?
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #25
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post

    Bonita, I asked you about Obama's response in another thread, but then realized I didn't want to derail that thread so I didn't go into it with you. For the life of me, I can't figure out what you think is so bad about his response. He condemns, unequivically, the violence in Egypt. I don't know what else you expect him to say!
    It was that his response to the video was so much stronger than to what actually happened. He used much stronger language condemning free speech, than he did the killing of Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I definitely don't think they should intentionally dub it in Arabic and then send a copy to the Arab news stations! I think for me, that was the part that crossed the line. Like if they had just made the movie and then someone in Egypt got a hold of it and started rioting, I would say the film makers are just expressing themselves and if Muslims don't like it, they don't have to watch it. It was the deliberately dubbing it in Arabic and sending it to them to make sure they saw it to try to provoke a reaction that really makes me think that they were kind of in the wrong too. Total sh!t-stirring, you know?
    I disagree. If you as an Atheist were to tell someone that Jesus is not real and that I am foolish to believe in him, even if you took a painting of Jesus and peed on it, I might be offended but I would not start booming random people. Neither would anyone try arresting you for doing it. It happens all the time. There is no difference. The only difference is that Muslims are less tolerant, and the current US government is willing to bend over backwards trying not to make those people upset. The people making the video did nothing more insulting than others do against Christianity on a daily basis. It is not inciting a riot. The people rioting are inciting a riot.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #26
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So in that case who crossed the line? The film makers or the Arab news stations that ran it?
    I would say that the guys that were doing the sh!t stirring in the first place were crossing the ones that crossed the line, IMO.

    To give an example, I know that an easy way to make you mad is to tell you that Jenny (who you don't like anyway) said X about you, so I tell you that Jenny said X about you, and you go beat up Jenny. Of course you're in the wrong for beating up Jenny because violence isn't the answer, even though she said something mean about you. But I'm still not the good guy in this scenario because I meant for you to get mad at Jenny and beat her up, and I took action to try to provoke it. It's sh!t stirring, and I think it's crappy.

    Bonita - Obama's reaction to the riots was to condemn the violence and say that there is no excuse for it. It didn't sound soft to me at all.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  7. #27
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    To give an example, I know that an easy way to make you mad is to tell you that Jenny (who you don't like anyway) said X about you, so I tell you that Jenny said X about you, and you go beat up Jenny. Of course you're in the wrong for beating up Jenny because violence isn't the answer, even though she said something mean about you. But I'm still not the good guy in this scenario because I meant for you to get mad at Jenny and beat her up, and I took action to try to provoke it. It's sh!t stirring, and I think it's crappy.
    In that scenario it wouldn't be the filmmakers that crossed the line then. Jenny would be the filmmaker. She said X. You are the one who transmitted that information. The Arab news station.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  8. #28
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post

    To give an example, I know that an easy way to make you mad is to tell you that Jenny (who you don't like anyway) said X about you, so I tell you that Jenny said X about you, and you go beat up Jenny. Of course you're in the wrong for beating up Jenny because violence isn't the answer, even though she said something mean about you. But I'm still not the good guy in this scenario because I meant for you to get mad at Jenny and beat her up, and I took action to try to provoke it. It's sh!t stirring, and I think it's crappy.
    No one is asking if the makers of the film are "good guys", but if they are legally liable. I will say it was a jerky thing to do (same as in your example) but not worthy of being detained or arrested, or told you can not make the video.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #29
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    In that scenario it wouldn't be the filmmakers that crossed the line then. Jenny would be the filmmaker. She said X. You are the one who transmitted that information. The Arab news station.
    It's not a perfect example, but okay, if Jenny says X to you to specifically try to get you to beat her up to prove the point that you're crazy....

    I don't blame the Arab media for reporting the news. That's their job, to report the news. Our media would do the same. The film makers went to the Arab media specifically to get the word out.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  10. #30
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    Really? A video on youtube is "news" that needs to be reported? If we're going to place the blame on anyone other than the people who are actually to blame, I'd say it'd be a 50/50 split. The media didn't have to "report" it anymore than the filmmaker had to make it. Our media would have done the same. And if anyone had rioted or killed anyone because of a "news" story, their asses would have been shot and/or jailed and then tried in a court of law.
    mom3girls likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions