Is George Zimmerman So "Toxic"

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
Is George Zimmerman So "Toxic"

that you can't say anything favorable about him without getting "blow back?"

Family Rescued by George Zimmerman Fears 'Blow Back' - ABC News

The family rescued by George Zimmerman when they were trapped in an overturned SUV canceled a scheduled news conference today and is pleading for privacy.

Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of Dana and Mark Gerstle and their two children, who were trapped inside a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had rolled over after traveling off the highway in Sanford, Fla., about 5:45 p.m. Thursday, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

The Gerstles were expected to hold a press conference today at the office of Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara, but cancelled a few hours before it was supposed to take place.

"They have expressed to us that they are not comfortable doing media interviews at this time and they continue to ask for privacy," the Seminole City Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Zimmerman's lawyer, Mark O'Mara, said the family had asked to speak, but then got concerned about the anger surrounding the controversial verdict.

"The family called because they wanted to address the media. I knew that if we did it in an organized way, it would help them get back to a normal life.. But they called today and said they were more worried about blow back from saying anything that would be favorable to George, and decided they did not want to do any media," O'Mara said.

The lawyer said that when he spoke to the Gerstles "their voices were trembling" and that they feared saying anything positive about Zimmerman "would be toxic."

O'Mara wouldn't say whether Zimmerman is now carrying a weapon since the Department of Justice asked that the gun and other evidence be sent to federal prosecutors who are reviewing the case.

But Zimmerman "should be [armed] given the threats against him," O'Mara said. He added, "If I were him I would leave" the country.

The Gerstles could not be reached for comment.

Zimmerman has been in hiding since he was acquitted of murder in the death of Trayvon Martin and his acquittal prompted a flood of negative reactions and dozens of protests across the country. Zimmerman as well as his parents have received death threats.

The Thursday crash occurred at the intersection of I-4 and route Route 46, police said, less than a mile from where Zimmerman shot Martin.

By the time police arrived, two people - including Zimmerman - had already helped the family get out of the overturned car, the sheriff's office said. No one was reported to be injured.
Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after speaking with the deputy, police said.

Assuming this story is true, do you think that the couple was right to be concerned about saying something favorable about George Zimmerman? Does it seem odd that there was going to be a press release about this in the first place? Any other thoughts?

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

This is totally cynical, but my first thought was that since it was only a mile from his house, he probably heard about it on the police scanner that you just know he has. I acknowledge that I shouldn't think that way though.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

This is totally cynical, but my first thought was that since it was only a mile from his house, he probably heard about it on the police scanner that you just know he has. I acknowledge that I shouldn't think that way though.

He doesn't live there anymore.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

I'm pretty sure the New Black Panthers sill have a bounty on his head. I don't blame them for being scared.

New Black Panther: Never Contacted by Obama DOJ over Zimmerman Threats

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Do you really think the NBP (or anyone else) would actually hurt this family just for admitting that GZ helped them when their car crashed? That seems like a pretty big stretch to me.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Do you really think the NBP (or anyone else) would actually hurt this family just for admitting that GZ helped them when their car crashed? That seems like a pretty big stretch to me.

Yes. If they using it as an excuse to attack random people why wouldn't they hurt someone who is known to sympathize with him?

Community leader: Violent youths have 'hijacked' protest message - latimes.com
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/07/15/trayvon-protest-in-la-turns-violent-police-fire-rubber-bullets-79719

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Yes. If they using it as an excuse to attack random people why wouldn't they hurt someone who is known to sympathize with him?

Community leader: Violent youths have 'hijacked' protest message - latimes.com
Trayvon protest in LA turns violent, police fire rubber bullets - BizPac Review

i don't think that actually has anything to do with GZ, it was just people taking advantage of the opportunity to rob people, which happens, sadly. I still don't believe that then means that this family would be targets.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

i don't think that actually has anything to do with GZ, it was just people taking advantage of the opportunity to rob people, which happens, sadly. I still don't believe that then means that this family would be targets.

Well I certainly wouldn't want to put my name out in the media and take that chance if it was me.

Just look at this article and see how their FB pictures are now posted all over the media.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2375251/George-Zimmerman-rescue-family-terrified-targets-hate-mobs.html

The media is not interested in helping race relations or printing the truth. They will play up anything that will sell papers, including making GZ out as a racist no matter who it hurts.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

I think it is a really sad situation. I do think that Zimmerman has a big heart and was doing what he thought was best to protect his neighbourhood (whether or not it was misguided), and then again to protect this family. I do think the anger and heat in this situation puts him, his family, and anyone who openly speaks in his favour in danger. I do not think it is a stretch at all to think that this family would be attacked if they spoke out in favour of Zimmerman.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Totally toxic. I wouldn't want to be associated with him in any way. And I have NO doubt that he heard this on the scanner and tried to entangle himself. I think he's a fame and attention junkie at this point. We will be hearing more from him, I've no doubt. His ego will guarantee it. He needs the attention.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4087

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

This is totally cynical, but my first thought was that since it was only a mile from his house, he probably heard about it on the police scanner that you just know he has. I acknowledge that I shouldn't think that way though.

"Potter75" wrote:

Totally toxic. I wouldn't want to be associated with him in any way. And I have NO doubt that he heard this on the scanner and tried to entangle himself. I think he's a fame and attention junkie at this point. We will be hearing more from him, I've no doubt. His ego will guarantee it. He needs the attention.

Yep, ITA with both of these. I also thought it was very weird/strange that there was a press conference scheduled in the first place. Who holds a press conference after they have a car accident? No one. It was probably pushed by GZ's lawyers who are hoping to show that he's a good guy with compassion, when he's just an egotistical rescue-wrker-wannabe.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

Seriously? It was a major news story. It would have been very weird for someone who was in an accident that made national news to be ignored.

A jury found George Zimmerman not guilty. It is not the job of the public to form a lynch mob.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

But why was it a national news story? There are overturned vehicle accidents daily all over the US that you don't hear about. It's because GZ was involved.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"Jessica80" wrote:

But why was it a national news story? There are overturned vehicle accidents daily all over the US that you don't hear about. It's because GZ was involved.

It was a national news story because there is no reputable news anymore. Just a bunch of paparazzi.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Seriously? It was a major news story. It would have been very weird for someone who was in an accident that made national news to be ignored.

A jury found George Zimmerman not guilty. It is not the job of the public to form a lynch mob.

Um- no- car accidents happen by the thousands every day . So NOT major news.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3179

Obviously it was because of HIM, especially when you look at where the press conference was going to happen: his lawyer's office. The guy wants PR.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

"Jessica80" wrote:

But why was it a national news story? There are overturned vehicle accidents daily all over the US that you don't hear about. It's because GZ was involved.

This guy has been in the news 24/7 for months. If he had gone to the bathroom on the side of the road it would have been in the news. If he had been doing something negative such as getting into a fist fight, you can bet it would have been all over the news. People that are against him are just angry that he was caught doing something positive.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

No- more like frustrated that this idiot buffoon thinks himself important enough that he manipulates a situation to get his name back into the news when it wasn't yet OUT of the news. A flagrant and transparent attempt to try to manipulate public sentiment- pathetic and so full of incredible self importance and ego that its positively mind blowing. Again- look for more to come. I don't predict his life going well/ but it won't be because of the black panthers- it will all be his own doing. He fancies himself a celebrity and needs attention. You'll see.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4087

It wasn't that he "was caught doing something positive." It was that he did something positive, and then wasn't happy enough with just that and called a press conference to talk about it. I've helped people out of mangled cars and I never once thought to call a press conference about it. And I'm still very suspicious that of all the thousands of people in that area of Florida, he was the one who got there first to help.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

Did Zimmerman personally call the press conference?

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3179

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Did Zimmerman personally call the press conference?

Well it was going to happen at his lawyer's office....

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Did Zimmerman personally call the press conference?

The police certainly didn't. It was going to happen in his LAWYERS office.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Well it was going to happen at his lawyer's office....

Who they called... not the other way around.

"The family called because they wanted to address the media.

I think it is really ridiculous to think that GZ somehow set this up just because it was near his old home where he doesn't even live anymore because he had to move so the media wouldn't find him. He was probably just in town picking something up or visiting some friends because I doubt he wants to be seen when he has death threats against him. He didn't even tell the family who he was when he helped them.... they recognized him.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I believe that zimmermans attorneys originally suggested/set this up. The family agreed initially, then backed out.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Well it was going to happen at his lawyer's office....

I could have mis read things, but it appeared to me that the family arranged the press conference.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

You think that normal families think like that? With no..........um..........suggestion or coercion from, say, an attorney or PR person?

I don't. At all.

Would your family think to call a PRESS CONFERENCE if you got in a car accident? I've been in many. Never crossed my mind.

Im making ravioli and eating fresh crabs tonight. Maybe I should call a press conference.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"Potter75" wrote:

You think that normal families think like that? With no..........um..........suggestion or coercion from, say, an attorney or PR person?

I don't. At all.

Would your family think to call a PRESS CONFERENCE if you got in a car accident? I've been in many. Never crossed my mind.

Im making ravioli and eating fresh crabs tonight. Maybe I should call a press conference.

They had already been swamped with paparazzi by that time, people camping out at their house and taking pictures when they came out. I think maybe they thought if they made a statement the media would leave them alone.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

If that was the case i believe they would still be speaking. I believe they were being coerced/encouraged to sing brave Georgie's praises and after further consideration balked at being used as pawns

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3179

"Potter75" wrote:

If that was the case i believe they would still be speaking. I believe they were being coerced/encouraged to sing brave Georgie's praises and after further consideration balked at being used as pawns

I think so too, and the location of the press conference is VERY telling.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

So you are saying it's not happening? They are even interviewing his neighbors.

The Gerstle family from Port Orange, near Daytona Beach, have refused all requests to talk about their encounter with one of the most infamous men in America.

Mr Gerstle was in no mood to discuss Zimmerman when he arrived back at the family home today in a rental car.

He screamed at reporters from his garage saying: 'Go away. I've got nothing to say.'
The family have lived in the single story, tan stucco home for the past 10 years.

Gerstle drove straight into his garage after speeding down the road past several TV trucks and film crews waiting to interview him.

He appeared enraged that media wanted to talk to him.

A neighbor in Port Orange said: '(He) will be very embarrassed by all the attention he will get.

'He is a very quiet man and will not like having his name mentioned all over the press. I am sure he is very grateful to Zimmerman but he is not the type you will see on a chat show talking about what happened.'

Read more: George Zimmerman rescue family terrified they will become targets for hate mobs | Mail Online

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3179

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I could have mis read things, but it appeared to me that the family arranged the press conference.

But why would they arrange it at his lawyer's office on their own? Why do they even KNOW his lawyer?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

So you are saying it's not happening?Read more: George Zimmerman rescue family terrified they will become targets for hate mobs | Mail Online

Whats not happening? What am I saying isn't happening? You've lost meEta: clearly the article you posted shows a man not likely to call a press conference on his own lol!!!

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"Potter75" wrote:

Whats not happening? What am I saying isn't happening? You've lost meEta: clearly the article you posted shows a man not likely to call a press conference on his own lol!!!

They were ALREADY camped out at his house BEFORE he decided to have a press conference. I can completely understand him thinking that if he held a press conference and gave a statement they could use that maybe they would go away. They probably thought GZ's lawyer could help them set it up since they (the lawyer) had already been dealing with the press. None of that seems so hard for me to believe. If the press was suddenly camped out at my door I don't think I would know what to do.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I never said anything about the press. If your theory is correct, and presumably the media is still there, one would think they would still be speaking.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

I agree with Gloria. If anyone of you were suddenly thrust into a situation where you had the media breathing down every aspect of your life, you would try to anything possible to stop it. Then if you or your family was threatened, you would also back down. The situation I believe is so volatile in that area. Tensions are high. There is no way the media would not have been all over this. It is normal that the family would want to explain in their own words what happened.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4107

"Potter75" wrote:

I never said anything about the press. If your theory is correct, and presumably the media is still there, one would think they would still be speaking.

How can they STILL be speaking when they haven't given any interviews? If it was me I would want to give one statement and be done with it, and I think that is what they wanted to do. But they are afraid to say anything because if they say anything positive they open themselves up to GZ haters. That is the whole reason they decided to call off the press conference. Now they are back to just hoping eventually they will go away.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

How can they STILL be speaking when they haven't given any interviews? If it was me I would want to give one statement and be done with it, and I think that is what they wanted to do. But they are afraid to say anything because if they say anything positive they open themselves up to GZ haters. That is the whole reason they decided to call off the press conference. Now they are back to just hoping eventually they will go away.

Still be speaking as in not having cancelled the press conference, obviously. I still maintain that they probably didn't want to give ANY statement, were coerced into it by GZ's handlers, and then thought better of it/ didn't want to play the part of his pawn in this silly game and backed out.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

"Potter75" wrote:

Still be speaking as in not having cancelled the press conference, obviously. I still maintain that they probably didn't want to give ANY statement, were coerced into it by GZ's handlers, and then thought better of it/ didn't want to play the part of his pawn in this silly game and backed out.

I strongly disagree. I think any cancelled statement was do to the hate that has been directed to Zimmerman and anyone who has stood out and supported him.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I strongly disagree. I think any cancelled statement was do to the hate that has been directed to Zimmerman and anyone who has stood out and supported him.

Oh well. Murderers tend to upset people. What can I say? Who knows why they cancelled? Who cares, at the end of the day. Their decision to make and it really doesn't affect anyone at all in any way, so it just doesn't bother me one way or another.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Potter75" wrote:

Still be speaking as in not having cancelled the press conference, obviously. I still maintain that they probably didn't want to give ANY statement, were coerced into it by GZ's handlers, and then thought better of it/ didn't want to play the part of his pawn in this silly game and backed out.

This was my reading of it too, 100%.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3179

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

This was my reading of it too, 100%.

Same here. Why else was his lawyer involved?

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

"Potter75" wrote:

Oh well. Murderers tend to upset people. What can I say? Who knows why they cancelled? Who cares, at the end of the day. Their decision to make and it really doesn't affect anyone at all in any way, so it just doesn't bother me one way or another.

It bothers me because it is a Witch Hunt. He was found not guilty.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Same here. Why else was his lawyer involved?

I would assume every move he makes is run by his lawyer first. Every public statement he makes would need to be run by his lawyer first.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I would assume every move he makes is run by his lawyer first. Every public statement he makes would need to be run by his lawyer first.

He wasn't the one making the statement, the family was. They aren't beholden to his lawyers.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

It bothers me because it is a Witch Hunt. He was found not guilty.

What is? The press conference? People hate him. Ho him. People hate tons of people. Why do you care who people hate- last I checked people have the right to hate anyone they please. Least they aren't blowing his head off, eh?

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

It bothers me because it is a Witch Hunt. He was found not guilty.

So was OJ.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I agree with Gloria. If anyone of you were suddenly thrust into a situation where you had the media breathing down every aspect of your life, you would try to anything possible to stop it. Then if you or your family was threatened, you would also back down. The situation I believe is so volatile in that area. Tensions are high. There is no way the media would not have been all over this. It is normal that the family would want to explain in their own words what happened.

Anything possible for me would be going to the courthouse and filing a restraining order against them. I am not a celebrity and will not put up with an intrusion into my privacy. I would not feed the beast and speak to them if I didn't want to.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"blather" wrote:

So was OJ.

Did the KKK put a price on his head?

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

Is it at all possible that their car insurance company advised them against a press conference? If they are not careful with the wording of their statement(s) they could jepoardize their case.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

"blather" wrote:

So was OJ.

But he's been a good boy and a "model prisoner."

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6545

I do not believe the treatment of OJ was right either.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments