Gosnell Trial Media Blackout (abortion ment.)

174 posts / 0 new
Last post
GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114
Gosnell Trial Media Blackout (abortion ment.)

Do you think that mainstream media is playing down coverage of the Gosnell trial for political reasons?

It is hard to decide the most appalling images to emerge Thursday at the murder trial of Philadelphia abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell. What happened in his abortion clinic is beyond any morbid Hollywood horror.

Tiny severed feet and hands stored in jars over a sink in the ?procedure? room.

Digitalis injected into the stomachs of pregnant women to stop the beating hearts of their unborn babies so that they would be born dead.

Survivor babies whose spinal cords were severed, whose brains were removed with suction, whose tiny bodies were placed in a waste bin for disposal.

Then there is commonwealth exhibit C-147, depicting a large baby balled in the fetal position, bloody, stuffed in a bin. ?Big enough to walk me home,? joked Gosnell when he saw the child?s remains, testified Ashly Baldwin, a clinic employee.

Gosnell, 72, is charged with killing seven born-alive babies and causing the death of Karnamaya Mongar, 41, an immigrant from Nepal who had sought an abortion at his West Philadelphia clinic. The clinic was busy, doing brisk cash business, catering not only to local women in West Philadelphia, but also women from the affluent surrounding suburbs of Bucks and Montgomery counties. Gosnell?s reputation for no-wait abortions was so well known, women would fly in from other states.

The prosecution alleges that Gosnell?s clinic regularly delivered live babies in the third trimester and killed them by severing their spinal cords or a ?snip,? which according to testimony is what Gosnell called the procedure.

On Thursday, when I was there, Ashly Baldwin, 22, testified that she began working at the clinic when she was 15. Though unqualified and unlicensed as a medical technician, she began medicating women, even administering injections with a butterfly needle, under Gosnell?s instructions.

She testified that she saw digitalis injected, and explained that its purpose in abortions is to kill the unborn child so ?it would come out dead.?

But in some of the most horrifying testimony of the day, Baldwin described how she saw babies born alive, with hearts beating rapidly, some of them moving and ?flinching,? and some making baby sounds or ?screeching.?

Until the FBI raided his clinic in 2010, he had operated for 30 years at 3801 Lancaster Ave., in the clinic he called the ?Women?s Health Society.?

There was little healthy about it. Bloody floors, dirty equipment. The filthy gynecological bed with stirrups on which Karnamaya Mongar went into cardiac arrest from a drug reaction, and later died, sat in the middle of the courtroom, in front of the jury.

Tina Baldwin testified that Gosnell treated women differently, based on their race. White women ?with money? were taken to an ?immaculate? upstairs room where Gosnell treated them personally. Poor black, Latino and other women were kept in the clinic?s dingy, dirty downstairs rooms, and were usually treated by medically unqualified staff.

Tina Baldwin said she asked Gosnell about why he treated white women differently from the others. She recalled him saying, ?Sorry, but that?s how it is.?

Thursday?s testimony had sensational details. The court staff, convinced it would attract journalists from around the nation, has set aside three rows of seats to accommodate up to 40 reporters. But all Thursday morning, as Ashly Baldwin testified to horror after horror, only one reporter was in the reserved seating ? me.

Several local news outlets were there, scattered about the mostly empty courtroom. The Philadelphia Inquirer had a reporter there. NBC10 sent a blogger for its website. The AP stopped in, but the reporter told me that resources are thin and trial coverage is not gavel to gavel.

An hour into afternoon testimony, Jon Hurdle of The New York Times showed up, and a few minutes later was gone.

The lack of daily media coverage for the most sensational abortion trial angers pro-lifers who said there is a ?media black out? on the Gosnell trial.

I asked one of the court staff why so few are interested.

?If you?re pro-choice, do you really want anybody to know about this,? he said, motioning to the filthy medical equipment set up in the courtroom.

It?s a good point. As saturation coverage of the Sandy Hook elementary school coverage has caused Americans to reconsider the limits of the Second Amendment, saturation coverage of Kermit Gosnell?s clinic would likely cause the same reconsideration of abortion rights.

The details are that horrifying.

What I saw at the Gosnell trial - phillyburbs.com: J.D. Mullane

Abortion Doctor Trial: Coverage of Kermit Gosnell Case Sparks Debate

Grand Jury transcript: Warning very graphic
http://www.phila.gov/districtattorney/pdfs/grandjurywomensmedical.pdf

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

No. What political gain do you see coming out of downplaying it? Abortion is legal and under no legitimate threat, and downplaying it isn't going to keep it "more legal". This "doctors" actions were illegal, plain and simple.

Why the downplay? First off it happened in Philly, we don't get a ton of national coverage. We had 331 homicides here last year, how many did you hear about? This got a TON of local coverage when it was originally unearthed, it was grizzly and horrifying.

Secondly it was in a terribly poor and minority heavy part of the city. Comparing it to the Sandy hook is silly ~ as the "Dr" himself says in comparing the treatment of white people and black people "Sorry, but that's how it is". The fact that these babies were murdered or that this "clinic" could operate like this, in these conditions for YEARS without women reporting this beast in a terribly poor area of a minority heavy area of the city....or that minority women and babies were his victims....well, the national interest just isn't drawn like it is to the senseless murder of a bunch of rich white children by a rich white boy in a rich white town. Fact.

THirdly there is no "senseless" draw like there is in Sandy Hook. These "mothers" were not taken captive in a "it rubs the lotion on its skin" sort of situation, which would have gotten the case more attention. THey walked into that clinic with the intention of having this "dr" murder their babies, and he did. Sick, yes, but again, no big hook for peoples attention.

I'd be open to being convinced that this is a big "POLITICAL COVER UP!"..........but I don't get what the cover up is of. This guy was a criminal doing criminal things. He is going to go to jail. That is why he was arrested. No one is giving him high 5ers and saying "way to go! That is how abortion SHOULD BE buddy!". Hes a sicko who preyed on sick, impoverished women who obviously had their back to the wall is some way in order to do what they did. Sad and wrong and certainly not what ANY pro choice person would advocate for, ever. A tragedy, yes, but, I mean, what is there to really go into detail covering? Do YOU want to see photos every day? I don't. I don't need to see photos of babies in jars. If you are into it I'm sure you can find it, but I don't need or want to see that splashed across front pages for my kids to see. No thanks.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

The downplay is because when people see the horror of even abortions that he did that were legal on babies less than 24 weeks they might think twice about wanting it to be legal. They don't have to splash pictures of aborted babies across the news to mention it. They mention other murder cases without showing graphic pictures of murdered victims. This is a deliberate effort by the media to keep this out of news.

Let me state the obvious. This should be front page news. When Rush Limbaugh attacked Sandra Fluke, there was non-stop media hysteria. The venerable NBC Nightly News' Brian Williams intoned, "A firestorm of outrage from women after a crude tirade from Rush Limbaugh," as he teased a segment on the brouhaha. Yet, accusations of babies having their heads severed — a major human rights story if there ever was one — doesn't make the cut.

You don't have to oppose abortion rights to find late-term abortion abhorrent or to find the Gosnell trial eminently newsworthy. This is not about being "pro-choice" or "pro-life." It's about basic human rights.

The deafening silence of too much of the media, once a force for justice in America, is a disgrace.

Philadelphia abortion clinic horror: Column

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

In my experience, when there is a major tragedy it takes the major media coverage. If this case was happening at a different time, then I think it might get more coverage (Although I have seen plenty of articles about it come across my FB wall). The Boston bombings and the subsequent events have controlled the media. (Not saying that is a bad thing, just that it happened) Even the explosions in West, I had to dig to find the information I wanted about it. Not because it was not a big story, but because there was already a major story in the news.

I remember this happening as a teenager when our house burnt down. It happened on the same day as an Earthquake in CA. On a different day it would have been a major story on the local news, but because of the other story it was barely mentioned (which we were happy about. We did not care to be in the news at that time).

It is possible that even if there were not these other national stories, it still would not have gotten as much attention, but I tend to think it is more because there are so many other stories out there right now.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

The downplay is because when people see the horror of even abortions that he did that were legal on babies less than 24 weeks they might think twice about wanting it to be legal. They don't have to splash pictures of aborted babies across the news to mention it. They mention other murder cases without showing graphic pictures of murdered victims. This is a deliberate effort by the media to keep this out of news.

Philadelphia abortion clinic horror: Column

Well, if that were true you would be lobbying for gun control after sandy hook IMO. You aren't, so I disagree with your logic. This will no more make pro choice people turn anti choice than those murders made pro gun turn anti gun.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

In my experience, when there is a major tragedy it takes the major media coverage. If this case was happening at a different time, then I think it might get more coverage (Although I have seen plenty of articles about it come across my FB wall). The Boston bombings and the subsequent events have controlled the media. (Not saying that is a bad thing, just that it happened) Even the explosions in West, I had to dig to find the information I wanted about it. Not because it was not a big story, but because there was already a major story in the news.

I remember this happening as a teenager when our house burnt down. It happened on the same day as an Earthquake in CA. On a different day it would have been a major story on the local news, but because of the other story it was barely mentioned (which we were happy about. We did not care to be in the news at that time).

It is possible that even if there were not these other national stories, it still would not have gotten as much attention, but I tend to think it is more because there are so many other stories out there right now.

That logic doesn't work because this trial was in session before either of those things happened and it wasn't covered. The day of court with empty media seats mentioned in the OP was 4/11/2013, the Thursday before the Boston bombing. And the explosion in West, TX was on the 17th, almost a whole week later.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

Well, if that were true you would be lobbying for gun control after sandy hook IMO. You aren't, so I disagree with your logic. This will no more make pro choice people turn anti choice than those murders made pro gun turn anti gun.

But the people in the middle could very well be swayed. The people that think abortion should be legal but think that even the 24 week cutoff is way too late since some of these babies could almost survive on their own, or the people that think abortions should only be legal only for the first trimester. The media did make some people who are pro gun want to ban what they called assault weapons because of the way it was covered. And it could very well sway some people who want some abortion to be legal but not late term or second trimester abortions.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

If thats the case they will change their minds. As Bonita said, she's seen this case a lot in her news feed and you posted lots of links to national news stories about it- if a blackout was intended it appears to be wildly unsuccessful so your fears seem to be for naught?

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

I find the opposite. This makes me think of conditions in abortion clinics when it is not legal, and I find myself thinking that if these women had another place to go they would have, so maybe what is needed is better inspections, regulations, but certainly not making all abortions illegal. What he was doing was not legal, and I am asking why he was not being overseen by someone, and why he was not shut down earlier.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

If thats the case they will change their minds. As Bonita said, she's seen this case a lot in her news feed and you posted lots of links to national news stories about it- if a blackout was intended it appears to be wildly unsuccessful so your fears seem to be for naught?

They only started covering it AFTER they were reamed by that article in USA Today and finally public outrage that it wasn't being covered. The funny thing is that there was more coverage the day AFTER the Boston bombings than there had been the whole week before. So I guess the fact that other stories were more important doesn't really work, does it.

Kermit Gosnell entered a Philadelphia courtroom on Monday where he is on trial for the murder of seven unborn children. He looked at the seating reserved for media and saw something he hadn't last week. Media. The big guns.

The Bigs were shamed into appearing at the abortionist's trial after a stunning Twitter campaign that began Thursday night and swept through the weekend. A courtroom photo I snapped last week showing three rows of empty media seating, while grisly trial was in its fourth week, went viral.

The new media rattled the old media, and the old responded by sending correspondents, at least for a day or two. The New York Times and The Washington Post were there. So was the AP and Reuters. In the row behind me was Kimberly Guilfoyle of Fox News.

The new media uproar rattled the local old media, too. A reporter from the Philadelphia Daily News, a great tabloid whose lack of daily trial coverage mystifies, had a reporter there who said he didn't understand what all the fuss was about. The Philadelphia Inquirer, whose reporter has dutifully filed daily reports from the Gosnell trial, had company on Monday -- one of the Inky's pro-choice columnists. (Is there any other kind?)

"Big Media" show up at the Gosnell trial - phillyburbs.com: J.D. Mullane

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I never said anything about other news stories being more important. Merely commented on the reference made in the OP to sandy hook. Never mentioned Boston at all I don't think? I'm getting a pedicure though so maybe I'm confused. And yes, I pointed out that if it was an intentional blackout it seems to be backfiring, so what are you complaining about?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

I never said anything about other news stories being more important. Merely commented on the reference made in the OP to sandy hook. Never mentioned Boston at all I don't think? I'm getting a pedicure though so maybe I'm confused. And yes, I pointed out that if it was an intentional blackout it seems to be backfiring, so what are you complaining about?

So you have no problem with media bias and don't think it's worth complaining about?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

So you have no problem with media bias and don't think it's worth complaining about?

I have explained in three parts why I don't believe it exists in this case.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

I have explained in three parts why I don't believe it exists in this case.

And I believe it does, as did the pro-choice reporter who complained about it in USA Today forcing the media to show up. I think it is definitely worth complaining about.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

ITA with everything Melis has said. I'm not appalled by the fact that this trial isn't getting major coverage because I don't want this sick bastard to think he's getting attention for this evil. What he did was NOT legal and should not be compared to abortion. What I'm appalled by is that so many women came to him, that he was able to make a living doing this for so many years, when early-term abortion is supposed to be an option for them. That fact alone proves to me that abortion *must* stay legal, safe and, most importantly, accessible. That's the only way to prevent this from happening again.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I think the media cares more about reporting on a perceived or threatened loss of abortion rights and less about a guy commiting multiple murders. As heinous and deplorable as his acts were, his acts have impacted a tiny fraction of a percentage of women than those women who would be denied their right to legal abortion.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Spacers" wrote:

ITA with everything Melis has said. I'm not appalled by the fact that this trial isn't getting major coverage because I don't want this sick bastard to think he's getting attention for this evil. What he did was NOT legal and should not be compared to abortion. What I'm appalled by is that so many women came to him, that he was able to make a living doing this for so many years, when early-term abortion is supposed to be an option for them. That fact alone proves to me that abortion *must* stay legal, safe and, most importantly, accessible. That's the only way to prevent this from happening again.

And you don't think coverage of this trial would help prevent it from happening again, especially since the agencies who were *supposed* to be monitoring him looked the other way for all those years?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

And you don't think coverage of this trial would help prevent it from happening again, especially since the agencies who were *supposed* to be monitoring him looked the other way for all those years?

Has the over- coverage of events like the movie theatre massacre stopped events like it from happening? No.

I don't really understand the thinking. Do you think that ordinary citizens like you or I who watch the news may suddenly start going into urban slums to root out evil drs like this man? I assure you I won't be.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

Has the over- coverage of events like the movie theatre massacre stopped events like it from happening? No.

I don't really understand the thinking. Do you think that ordinary citizens like you or I who watch the news may suddenly start going into urban slums to root out evil drs like this man? I assure you I won't be.

So you don't think the public should be concerned that the Dept of Health wasn't doing it's job or these horrors wouldn't have been allowed to continue for YEARS?

According to the transcript of Grand Jury testimony taken on January 20, 2011, Kermit Gosnell, the abortion doctor on trial for the murder of seven babies and an adult patient, was not caught by the Pennsylvania Dept. of Health (DOH). The discovery of what has been described as a "horror show" was accidental, the result of a police raid to seize evidence of illegal prescription sales.

It was only after this raid and the resulting media publicity of what the police found at the clinic ("the disgusting conditions, the dazed patients, the discarded fetuses") that the DOH stepped in.

What the Grand Jury testimony makes clear, though, is that very little of what was ultimately discovered could have come as a surprise to the Pennsylvania Department of Health -- the government agency that should have been "the first line of defense" against Gosnell. The DOH had not only received numerous complaints about deaths and underage abortions over the years, but DOH personnel had also visited Gosnell's clinic on numerous occasions.

Read more: Testimony: Dept. Of Health Ignored Gosnell Abortion Clinic Horror Stories | Dr. Gosnell Trial | Fox Nation

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

So you don't think the public should be concerned that the Dept of Health wasn't doing it's job

The public absolutely should be concerned, and should be clamoring for changes in that department's leadership, perhaps even prosecution. That doesn't mean we want to or need to see slaughtered full-term babies on the TV news or in our papers. He did wrong, he's being punished, I don't need the gory details. The fact that you seem fascinated by them is disturbing.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I never said that. Of course they should! Could you explain to me what that has to do with your perceived media cover up? That's like saying that because you don't believe in gun control you aren't troubled by the sandy hook shootings. Please don't draw ridiculous conclusions!

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Spacers" wrote:

The public absolutely should be concerned, and should be clamoring for changes in that department's leadership, perhaps even prosecution. That doesn't mean we want to or need to see slaughtered full-term babies on the TV news or in our papers. He did wrong, he's being punished, I don't need the gory details. The fact that you seem fascinated by them is disturbing.

And they can't report on it without showing slaughtered babies? They do it all the time for other murder cases. The photos from the Boston bombing were just as horrific but they didn't hold back on that did they. How are people going to clamor for changes in the leadership if the media isn't reporting on it?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I live here. This was a huge story. What do you want, lynchings?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

I live here. This was a huge story. What do you want, lynchings?

So if it was a huge story you don't think it deserved national attention.... which it didn't get until the media was called out onto the carpet for it? But you still don't think that there was any media bias involved.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

This was a huge story locally - where the failure was and where the agencies who failed were called to task in response to the local outrage as was appropriate. This was not about nor was it representative of systemic national failure or agency issues. Again- I've explained clearly why I believe this (and many issues like it affecting minorities) do not garner national attention quite clearly. I am glad - and happy! - to see you embracing the plight of poor minorities however.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

News outlets fall all over themselves to cover horrific crimes because, frankly, there's a big audience for sensational stories. So naturally, abortion foes have been wondering why the national media -- this newspaper included -- haven't jumped all over the indictment and trial of Dr. Kermit B. Gosnell in Philadelphia.

Regardless of where you come down in the debate over abortion, you should still be discouraged that at least one aspect of the Gosnell story didn't get the "60 Minutes" treatment from someone in the national media. Namely, why is it that the state of Pennsylvania -- hardly a bastion of liberalism on the subject of abortions -- ignored so many complaints and warnings about Gosnell's clinic? Was there no oversight from within the medical profession? And if the grand jury's report offers an accurate picture, how is it that a facility that harmed so many people could go unnoticed by authorities for so long?

Dr. Kermit Gosnell abortion case: Why no national media spotlight? - latimes.com

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

It actually DID get national attention when he was arrested. I read it on my local news website over two years ago. "Philadelphia abortion doctor charge with murder," the headline reads. It was published at 4:00am on Thursday, January 20, 2011.

Philadelphia abortion doctor charged with murder - SFGate

Do I need daily reminders on my news feed that he's finally on trial, finally coming to justice? No. I find no outrage in that. The outrage would be if he was not being prosecuted.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

And they can't report on it without showing slaughtered babies? They do it all the time for other murder cases. The photos from the Boston bombing were just as horrific but they didn't hold back on that did they. How are people going to clamor for changes in the leadership if the media isn't reporting on it?

Actually, some papers DID hold back. There are pictures of the scene on the street that have been photoshopped to remove gore. Also, in no way would I find a picture of a badly bleeding, injured person or persons to be in the same ballpark as a massacred, dismembered, bloody, dead baby in a garbage can. Sorry. Can't do it.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

Actually, some papers DID hold back. There are pictures of the scene on the street that have been photoshopped to remove gore. Also, in no way would I find a picture of a badly bleeding, injured person or persons to be in the same ballpark as a massacred, dismembered, bloody, dead baby in a garbage can. Sorry. Can't do it.

So you are saying that those same papers that held back those pictures can't report this story without posting gory pictures even though they manage to do it on other stories?

Its strange that they are able to manage to do it in the stories they are running now after they finally got the message and started to cover it.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

I still don't know what you mean by "started to cover it." It's on the AP news feed, which means it's being delivered to all AP subscribers, which is nearly every TV station, print newspaper, and online news source in the country. I found many days of coverage on all of the news outlets that I read on a regular basis. Are they all reporting on it every single day? No, they reported when it started, they've reported a few key bits here & there, and they'll all surely report on the verdict. Most of the rest of the country doesn't really care about the in-between.

And I can't believe that the anti-choice side is using this situation as an argument that abortion shouldn't be legal. This is exactly what was happening to women as recently as 40 years ago. If you weren't rich enough to be able to buy a "medically necessary" abortion from a hospital, or to leave the country to get one, then you took your chances with doctors like this that poor, desperate women everywhere can seem to find. Closing down real, legal, safe abortion clinics and cutting off Medicaid funding for abortions (the cost is about the same as a month of TANF) is precisely *why* this monster was in business, why he *had* a business. Not everyone who ends up pregnant is happy about it, or willing to be pregnant and give birth just to hand her baby over to someone else, or wanting to risk being involved with an abusive ex who happened to be the one to impregnate her. One in three U.S. women will have had an abortion before she turns 45. Look around. Most of us are very, very happy & relieved that our only choice was *not* a Mr. Gosnell.

Kate Michelman: The Questions No One Is Asking About the Kermit Gosnell Case

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Dr. Kermit Gosnell abortion case: Why no national media spotlight? - latimes.com

Gloria I refuse to debate with news orgs. If you want to debate it yourself, I'll play .

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

Gloria I refuse to debate with news orgs. If you want to debate it yourself, I'll play .

Then don't. I thought I was on a debate board not a private discussion between you and me. I posted an article that I thought was relevant.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"ftmom" wrote:

I find the opposite. This makes me think of conditions in abortion clinics when it is not legal, and I find myself thinking that if these women had another place to go they would have, so maybe what is needed is better inspections, regulations, but certainly not making all abortions illegal. What he was doing was not legal, and I am asking why he was not being overseen by someone, and why he was not shut down earlier.

You seriously think they had no where else to go?

"Despite this, in the neighborhood of Kermit Gosnell there were advanced hospitals, Catholic pregnancy and adoption services, and two pregnancy care centers: clean, well-lit places where they and their children would have been valued and cared for. "

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/04/26/truth-about-kermit-gosnell-trial/#ixzz2RhpHbgkd

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"Spacers" wrote:

It actually DID get national attention when he was arrested. I read it on my local news website over two years ago. "Philadelphia abortion doctor charge with murder," the headline reads. It was published at 4:00am on Thursday, January 20, 2011.

Philadelphia abortion doctor charged with murder - SFGate

Do I need daily reminders on my news feed that he's finally on trial, finally coming to justice? No. I find no outrage in that. The outrage would be if he was not being prosecuted.

Oh come on --- I never heard about it till recently.. There was not WIDE spread media coverage.. And nothing close to any of the other murders lately.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"Rivergallery" wrote:

You seriously think they had no where else to go?

"Despite this, in the neighborhood of Kermit Gosnell there were advanced hospitals, Catholic pregnancy and adoption services, and two pregnancy care centers: clean, well-lit places where they and their children would have been valued and cared for. "

Read more: The truth about the Kermit Gosnell trial | Fox News

None of those is an abortion clinic. Read the article I posted. The state of PA has not only cut the number of clinics in half, it's also placed ridiculous restrictions on funding so that poor women have to pay for an abortion out -of-pocket. That hasn't served to reduce the number of abortions, it's pushed the women who want them to places like this.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"Spacers" wrote:

None of those is an abortion clinic. Read the article I posted. The state of PA has not only cut the number of clinics in half, it's also placed ridiculous restrictions on funding so that poor women have to pay for an abortion out -of-pocket. That hasn't served to reduce the number of abortions, it's pushed the women who want them to places like this.

No it hasn't. Choices did. And I doubt they were all rape victims. If they are we have a bigger issue than the abortions... why are we releasing rapists back into society...? He, Gosnell, is a predator.. preying on the poor.

ETA-
"As a group, about 1 in 5 sex offenders reported that they had been under conditional supervision in the community prior to entering prison.

An estimated 24% of those serving time for rape and 19% of those serving time for sexual assault had been on probation or parole at the time of the offense for which they were in State prison in 1991.
BJS also carried out a 3-year follow-up of a sample drawn to represent 109,000 prisoners released in 1983 from prisons in 11 States. During the period, this group of releasees acquired about 50,000 arrests for new violent crimes, including nearly 4,000 arrests for rape and sexual assault. Prior to their imprisonment, fingerprint records for this group of offenders evidenced more than 19,000 prior arrests for rape and sexual assault.

Offenders convicted of rape and sexual assault composed just over 4% of those discharged from prisons in the 11 States in 1983. Over the 3-year period following prison release, an estimated 52% of discharged rapists and 48% of discharged sexual assaulters were re-arrested for a new crime. Their criminal history records also evidenced a lower percentage of sex offenders who were reconvicted and reimprisoned during the follow-up period than was the case for all violent offenders discharged from prison.

Table 34. Percent of all inmates

Offenders Rearrested Reconvicted Reincarcerated
All violent 60% 42% 37%
Rape 52% 36% 32%
Sexual Assault 48% 33% 24%

During the follow-up period, which began in 1983, the prison release cohort accounted for 3.8% of all the rape arrests that took place in the 11 States in 1983, 2.4% of all the rape arrests in the 11 States in 1984, and about 1% of the arrests for rape in the 11 States in 1985 and 1986.

Nearly 28% of released rapists were re-arrested for a new violent crime within 3 years (figure 27). For nearly 8% of released rapists, the new arrest for a violent crime was another charge for rape. During the follow-up period about 1% of murderers, robbers, and assaulters were rearrested for a new rape. Released rapists were found to be 10.5 times as likely as nonrapists to be re-arrested for rape, and those who had served time for sexual assault were 7.5 times as likely as those convicted of other crimes to be re-arrested for a new sexual assault.

Table 35. Figure 27. Re-arrest of convicted rapists released from prison and followed for 3 years

Re-arrested for a new crime 51.5%
Re-arrested for a new violent crime 27.5%
Murder Rape Robbery Assault
2.8% 7.7% 8.5% 10.7%

Convicted rapists released from prison and followed for 3 years 2,214

This BJS study tracked a sample of offenders in 11 States drawn to respresent those released from prisons in those States in 1983. Each offender was tracked through both State and Federal criminal history records. Offenders may have been arrested more than once during the follow-up period.

from here - http://www.mincava.umn.edu/documents/sexoff/sexoff.html#idp81776

-- To me this means that 1/5th of all rapes could have been prevented if we were tougher on criminals. ---

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Spacers" wrote:

None of those is an abortion clinic. Read the article I posted. The state of PA has not only cut the number of clinics in half, it's also placed ridiculous restrictions on funding so that poor women have to pay for an abortion out -of-pocket. That hasn't served to reduce the number of abortions, it's pushed the women who want them to places like this.

So are you suggesting that taxpayers should be paying for these abortions?

From the Grand Jury transcript

Lynda Williams provided the FBI with a handwritten chart listing what Gosnell
charged for abortions at various gestational ages:
6 weeks - 12 weeks $330
13 weeks - 14 weeks $440
15 weeks - 16 weeks $540
17 weeks - 18 weeks $750
19 weeks - 20 weeks $950
21 weeks - 22 weeks $1,180
23 weeks - 24 weeks $1,625

But other employees said that what he charged was often more. They said he charged as
much as $3,000 for a single late-term abortion. The great aunt of another patient testified
that she paid $2,500.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Oh come on --- I never heard about it till recently.. There was not WIDE spread media coverage.. And nothing close to any of the other murders lately.

What other murders in Philadelphia have you heard of recently (or ever)? Honest question. Do you know who our mayor or Govenor is? I mean ...... you live across the country from us. Does it really shock you that you are not aware of every crime that happens around the entire nation? I'm glad I don't. There is only so much I can really handle, the ones that pertain to us, the local ones are generally enough to make me sick.

AS to the rape stuff I'm really not sure where you are going with that. You want to murder rapists, right?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I've heard this "mainstream" media crud all over and I think it is silly. I've read about this guy for awhile now and I don't go searching for articles on him either.

I think this is a local story. Horrific medical conditions and an evil murderer. I definitely think it warrant a review of the appropriate office who should have investigated this guy. I don't see why this has to be a huge national story. We have awful medical reviews all the time that don't even make state news. Usually just local.

And as a "pro choicer", showing this type of facility only can help us remind people of how things were during the time in the US when it wasn't legal. This is what awaited most women when they sought out abortion services and that's horrifying.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

So what makes this trial any different than the other murder trials that Good Morning America covers?

GMA Devotes 109 Minutes to Other Trials, But Not One Second for Gosnell Horrors

Forty two days ago, on March 18, 2013, abortionist Kermit Gosnell went on trial, charged with the grisly murder of multiple babies and a patient. Yet, in the seven weeks that followed, ABC News has permitted no coverage, discussion or mention of the case, not even a single utterance of Dr. Gosnell’s name.

But that’s not due to lack of interest in shocking criminal cases. Over the same 42 days, the Media Research Center found that ABC’s Good Morning America has aired 41 stories — about one per day — on other sensational criminal cases, including the Amanda Knox re-trial and the Jodi Arias case, totaling 109 minutes of coverage.

So it would seem that ABC doesn’t have a problem delivering the gruesome details of murder cases to morning show viewers, suggesting that the networks’ blackout of the Gosnell case has more to do with the negative light it shines on the abortion industry.

Over six weeks of weekday and weekend coverage, GMA featured the Arias case 22 times. Arias is accused of stabbing and slitting the throat of Travis Alexander, her ex-boyfriend. Clearly, the producers and hosts of the morning show aren’t worried about discussing stomach-churning details. The Associated Press recounted the graphic accusations against Gosnell, including testimony by some of the abortion clinic’s workers that they "'snipped' babies' necks after they were born alive to make sure they died."

Both the Gosnell case and the Amanda Knox retrial deal with brutal murder. Yet, while ABC ignored the wrenching details of dead babies, Ms. Knox’s story received nine segments on GMA. (The remaining ten cases included the Michael Jackson wrongful death suit, a murder trial in Georgia, the murder of a University of Virginia lacrosse player and updates on the case against spree killer James Holmes.)

It’s not as though ABC can claim the Boston bombing as a reason to ignore the Gosnell case. The abortionist’s trial had been ongoing for a full month before the April 15 terrorist attack. Additionally, on the April 17 Good Morning America, as the manhunt for the perpetrators went on, the program featured a full report on the Arias murder.

On April 14, the Washington Post investigated the media’s lack of interest in Gosnell. Representatives for CBS and NBC offered comments about lack of coverage and plans to cover the story in the future. ABC was silent. The Post’s Paul Farhi succinctly summarized, "An ABC News representative, Julie Townsend, declined comment."

CBS and NBC have both offered minor coverage of the Gosnell case. What is ABC’s excuse for a total blackout? Clearly, the network is interested in criminal cases with shocking, brutal details. Forty one stories over 109 minutes and 26 seconds prove this.

The horrifying details of the Jodi Arias case, the Amanda Knox murder trial and rest are tragic stories with real victims. Their importance should not be downplayed or dismissed as purely sensational. But the lives of innocent babies, allegedly murdered in appalling circumstances, are also significant. Is it too much to ask that ABC’s hosts and producers cover a story, even if it doesn't match the political agenda of pro-abortion liberals?

Read more: GMA Devotes 109 Minutes to Other Trials, But Not One Second for Gosnell Horrors | NewsBusters

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780


Over six weeks of weekday and weekend coverage, GMA featured the Arias case 22 times. Arias is accused of stabbing and slitting the throat of Travis Alexander, her ex-boyfriend. Clearly, the producers and hosts of the morning show aren’t worried about discussing stomach-churning details. The Associated Press recounted the graphic accusations against Gosnell, including testimony by some of the abortion clinic’s workers that they "'snipped' babies' necks after they were born alive to make sure they died."

Hmm. Have you seen Kermit? Or any of his clients? Wonder why. You have heard the adage "sex sells" before, haven't you?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

Hmm. Have you seen Kermit? Or any of his clients? Wonder why. You have heard the adage "sex sells" before, haven't you?

Yes it is pretty sad that young white women who murder people get more coverage than a man who kills poor black babies. I sure am glad that some feel the need to call the media out on it, even though you seem to have no problem with it.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Yes it is pretty sad that young white women who murder people get more coverage than a man who kills poor black babies. I sure am glad that some feel the need to call the media out on it, even though you seem to have no problem with it.

And you've never seemed to have a problem with it until it involved abortion. Your newfound passion for minorities is great, however! I'm very proud of you!

Yes, it is sad. It is totally sad that black kids die in gun fire every day but when it happens to white kids it is an outrage. It is sad that domestic violence happens to minorities all the time, but when OJ goes and kills a white woman OH LORD the coverage. It is sad that when Texas sucks at graduating people you immediately blame immigrants. Lots of things are sad. Don't blame me for being realistic about the world, blame the world. .

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

And you've never seemed to have a problem with it until it involved abortion. Your newfound passion for minorities is great, however! I'm very proud of you!

Yes, it is sad. It is totally sad that black kids die in gun fire every day but when it happens to white kids it is an outrage. It is sad that domestic violence happens to minorities all the time, but when OJ goes and kills a white woman OH LORD the coverage. It is sad that when Texas sucks at graduating people you immediately blame immigrants. Lots of things are sad. Don't blame me for being realistic about the world, blame the world. .

It seems you have no problem mixing true and false information together. For one I don't believe Texas has a problem graduating students as the article I posted from the Dept of Education says otherwise, and then I didn't blame anyone I said that in addition to the fact that we have a large number of immigrants we STILL manage to do great. But go ahead and go by your census data that was a completely different statistic because that is what you want to believe.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Regardless of any of that unrelated stuff I'm really shocked that you are just realizing that minorities get unequal air time In the media. It floors me.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

Regardless of any of that unrelated stuff I'm really shocked that you are just realizing that minorities get unequal air time In the media. It floors me.

Who said I just realized it? At least I'm not trying to justify it and say that we shouldn't complain because that's just the way it is. Aren't you the one saying there is no media bias?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Do you think that complaining about it on a debate board changes the world? I've never said that you shouldn't complain- simply said that I believe your complaints are totally misguided. This case hasn't gotten national attention due to media bias because of abortion- but because, as I stated in my very first post - none of the "hooks" that would get it national coverage are here. It's very simple. You don't seem to have a debate point to counter that argument, do you?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

I think that complaining about does change things. Complaining about it on a debate board clearly didn't change your mind since you don't believe it exists, but there are other people who post and read this board besides you that might have become aware of it because of this discussion. When the allegations were made of bias the story started to get coverage. And some reporters have even admitted the bias exists.

The media’s modus operandi is completely political. Long ago, the press picked its side in the abortion debate.

They bought into the abortion industry’s “safe, rare, and legal” propaganda. So they ignored stories about unsafe abortion clinics, botched procedures, and subsequent fatalities. These topics were a protected from discussion in the press.

Since Powers spotlighted the case a few honest journalists have admitted that their political bias resulted in their failure to acknowledge the Gosnell trial. The Washington Post’s Melinda Henneberger wrote, “I say we didn’t write more because the only abortion story most outlets ever cover in the news pages is every single threat or perceived threat to abortion rights.”

On air, HuffPost Live host Marc Lamont Hill admitted, “For what it’s worth, I do think that those of us on the left have made a decision not to cover this trial because we worry that it’ll compromise abortion rights.”

The fact that members of the media purposefully ignored this corruption not only makes them an accomplice to the Gosnell infanticides and murder, but it also makes then an accessory to every wrongful death in every abortion clinic with unsafe health and safety standards.

This is why we have seen a need for states to adopt legislation that places greater health and safety standards on abortion clinics.

During the height of the Gosnell trial, we witnessed Virginia’s Board of Health pass a bill requiring all 20 state abortion clinics to uphold the same surgical standards that hospitals provide to their patients. And in 2011 alone, we saw a record-high 92 state laws passed to protect women’s safety in 24 states. These included parental notification requirements for minors and partial-birth abortion bans, as well as sonogram and heart-beat bills.

Virginia got it right. But so far, only four other states maintain health and safety standards similar to those just passed by Virginia: Indiana, Mississippi, New Jersey, and Oklahoma. (Tennessee has also passed similar abortion clinic regulations, but the constitutionality of that legislation is being challenged in Planned Parenthood vs. Sundquist.)

Few believe the liberal media’s one-liner that Gosnell’s practices justify decreasing regulations on abortion clinics to provide for more “safe, rare, and legal” abortions in a weak attempt to prevent mass murders at the hands of lunatics.

But the communication moguls of America's broadcast networks have had free rein, with zero scrutiny, for so long that their audiences harass those pro-life advocates who sincerely want to protect women’s health through legislation.

Read more: Gosnell had an accomplice in murders -- the liberal media | Fox News

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

So you are saying that those same papers that held back those pictures can't report this story without posting gory pictures even though they manage to do it on other stories?

Its strange that they are able to manage to do it in the stories they are running now after they finally got the message and started to cover it.

uh, no....You said one thing and I countered it with a fact to point out your inaccuracy. If you want to read more into it, go ahead. Is the New York Times printing gory dead baby pictures?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

[QUOTE]

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

I think that complaining about does change things. Complaining about it on a debate board clearly didn't change your mind since you don't believe it exists, but there are other people who post and read this board besides you that might have become aware of it because of this discussion. When the allegations were made of bias the story started to get coverage. And some reporters have even admitted the bias exists.

The guy, Mark Lamott Hill who "admitted" the bias is a philly local and a AA guy who has a vested interest in the AA community (Marc Lamont Hill | Teachers College: Faculty Profile) ~ of course he would see media bias ~ heck ~ I totally 100% admit and have admitted there is media bias against minorities....I'm just saying this bias in this case isn't about ABORTION, Gloria, thats all.
As I said in my first post and continue to state this case doesn't have the big "hook" that draws viewers, ratings, and ultimately MONEY. Its a business decision, not an abortion decision, thats all. Hot young women do. Baby killers like Casey Anthony do. Cases which could go either way do. This guy is as guilty as the day is long....it just doesn't bring the viewers or the interest those other cases that your links keep trying to compare it to do.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Potter75" wrote:

[QUOTE]

The guy, Mark Lamott Hill who "admitted" the bias is a philly local and a AA guy who has a vested interest in the AA community (Marc Lamont Hill | Teachers College: Faculty Profile) ~ of course he would see media bias ~ heck ~ I totally 100% admit and have admitted there is media bias against minorities....I'm just saying this bias in this case isn't about ABORTION, Gloria, thats all.
As I said in my first post and continue to state this case doesn't have the big "hook" that draws viewers, ratings, and ultimately MONEY. Its a business decision, not an abortion decision, thats all. Hot young women do. Baby killers like Casey Anthony do. Cases which could go either way do. This guy is as guilty as the day is long....it just doesn't bring the viewers or the interest those other cases that your links keep trying to compare it to do.

Well maybe that is why Fox News consistently rates higher than the other news channels. Because they have covered it so I guess they know what viewers want to see.

http://press.foxnews.com/2012/12/fox-news-channel-dominates-cable-news-viewership-for-11th-consecutive-year/
Cable News Ratings: Fox News Still Tops - 2009-02-24 23:06:41 | Broadcasting & Cable

Pages