The Guardian Plan - Page 43
Closed Thread
Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 528
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: The Guardian Plan

  1. #421
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Sunsets View Post
    Our district has (i believe?, i'll have to dbl check this) only ONE resource officer that goes to all the schools. We have 6 schools here (3 elementary (K-3) , 1 middle (4-6), 1 junior high (7-8 ) and 1 high school. Out of all of them there are only 2 that are near each other. They can't be in every school every second. What happens (god forbid) if some shooter does decide to take out one of them that the resource officer isn't at? It's going to be the same exact situation as Sandy Hook. This is why something drastic has to be done. The teachers and volunteers wouldn't even have to pay for the training. There are more then enough places that are willing to give the training for free to people who are serious about keeping our children safe and right now that needs to be our top priority. Congress and Senate aren't going to do anything about gun control or laws until they deal with all the debt and crap they already have on the table until at least March. You really wanna go 2.5 months and see how many more shootings (or attempted) happen?
    I wasn't talking about Resource Officers as if they are the solution to school shootings. I don't think they are. I believe I remember reading that there were 2 Resource Officers on site the day of Columbine, and while most schools here (in Littleton, post-Columbine) have their own Resource Officers, I fully acknowledge that they could be a first target of a gunman, or could be at the opposite end of the school when the shooting starts, or whatever. I don't think they are a miracle cure. The ONLY reason that I was talking about Resource Officers is because Gloria posted that link as if it proves that anyone could hold off a gunman if only there were more guns. The person in the article that held him off was a Resource Officer (so presumably a police officer) and the people that ultimately killed him were police officers. I've never said anything about disarming cops, I just don't think it's wise for non-cops to play Dirty Harry at school.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  2. #422
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

  3. #423
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Awful. Also immensely disturbing when your first thought is "at least only 2 kids" got hurt as if 2 is an acceptable number.
    ClairesMommy likes this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  4. #424
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,104

    Default

    Very sad...and discouraging. Its also interesting to note, given the weapon and what actually happened, that a lot of the fixes that have been mentioned on both sides of the argument, likely would not have prevented this from happening.

    Although there is no mention of how he was stopped, or if he just gave himself up.

  5. #425
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Very sad...and discouraging. Its also interesting to note, given the weapon and what actually happened, that a lot of the fixes that have been mentioned on both sides of the argument, likely would not have prevented this from happening.

    Although there is no mention of how he was stopped, or if he just gave himself up.
    Someone posted in some of the comments that a teacher rushed him and tackled him. Not sure if it is true or not, but if so we are forcing our teachers to act anyway just not giving them anything to protect themselves with except their bodies. Sad.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #426
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Someone posted in some of the comments that a teacher rushed him and tackled him. Not sure if it is true or not, but if so we are forcing our teachers to act anyway just not giving them anything to protect themselves with except their bodies. Sad.


    Mmmhhmmm. Maybe the fact that he had a shotgun instead of a SEMIAUTOMATIC weapon is what gave the teacher time to rush him instead being mowed down in a hail of hundreds of bullets per minute. Kindov like I was talking about.

  7. #427
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    After I heard about this, I was thinking in the car on the way to piano lessons about it. Regardless how you feel about guns and if you think they should be illegal, the fact of the matter is that millions of guns exist and there are some people that are just not going to give them back. It is very unfortunate, but the only way to insure that our nations children are safe is to assume that any person out there could have a gun and to really beef up school security. It is terrible that it has to happen, and it does make you feel like they are in prison not school, but it is what has to happen. It is an innocence lost. Like a person who has had a miscarriage can never relax and just enjoy early pregnancy, a person who has been raped can never really just relax and enjoy a man. Because of these tragedies we will never be able to just send our little kids happily off to school without worrying about them. You have to assume that it could happen. Regulations on guns might help, but it will not take away the problem. Medal detectors, doors that only open from the inside, armed guards, all of those things are horrible but are going to have to become a fact of life much as airport security has.
    Sapphire Sunsets likes this.

    ~Bonita~

  8. #428
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    After I heard about this, I was thinking in the car on the way to piano lessons about it. Regardless how you feel about guns and if you think they should be illegal, the fact of the matter is that millions of guns exist and there are some people that are just not going to give them back. It is very unfortunate, but the only way to insure that our nations children are safe is to assume that any person out there could have a gun and to really beef up school security. It is terrible that it has to happen, and it does make you feel like they are in prison not school, but it is what has to happen. It is an innocence lost. Like a person who has had a miscarriage can never relax and just enjoy early pregnancy, a person who has been raped can never really just relax and enjoy a man. Because of these tragedies we will never be able to just send our little kids happily off to school without worrying about them. You have to assume that it could happen. Regulations on guns might help, but it will not take away the problem. Medal detectors, doors that only open from the inside, armed guards, all of those things are horrible but are going to have to become a fact of life much as airport security has.
    Um, thats not true. And its a pretty insulting assumption.

  9. #429
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Um, thats not true. And its a pretty insulting assumption.
    My intention was not to insult. Just to say that once a devastating tragedy has happened, you will never be the same.

    ~Bonita~

  10. #430
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    My intention was not to insult. Just to say that once a devastating tragedy has happened, you will never be the same.

    Maybe learning a little empathy from tragedy can make you better, instead of the same Maybe stick to ones you can speak about a little less insultingly.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions