The Guardian Plan - Page 7
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 528
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: The Guardian Plan

  1. #61
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it's pure coincidence that when they reduced the amount of easily available easily used killing machines in their country, the percentage of deaths via these killing machines went down. Couldn't possibly work here.
    Our gun homicide rates are going down too and our laws haven't changed. I already posted the statistics.

    Here they are again.

    Despite increases in gun sales, gun crimes continued to decrease in the United States for the fourth straight year in 2010, according to the FBI.

    The FBI recently released its Crime in The United States statistics for 2010. Overall, murders in the U.S. have decreased steadily since 2006, dropping from 15,087 to 12,996. Firearms murders ? which made up 67 percent of all murders in the U.S. in 2010 ? have followed this trend, decreasing by 14 percent.

    At the same time that firearms murders were dropping, gun sales were surging. In 2009, FBI background checks for guns increased by 30 percent over the previous year, while firearms sales in large retail outlets increased by almost 40 percent. The number of applications for concealed carry permits jumped across the country as well.
    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/28/gu...#ixzz2FQyDk6eU
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 12-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  2. #62
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,453

    Default

    Do any of you worry that focusing solely on gun laws will totally distract from the fact that we have a huge and growing problem with mental illness in this country?
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  3. #63
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I am trying to find the right words of how I want to word this. If you are unhappy with America and the Constitution, then feel free to move to somewhere else where you think you would be happier.
    I don't think she's unhappy with America and the Constitution. Our founding fathers were not talking about the weapons we have today and I'm sure couldn't fathom them.
    boilermaker and AkMomma07 like this.

  4. #64
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    Do any of you worry that focusing solely on gun laws will totally distract from the fact that we have a huge and growing problem with mental illness in this country?
    I think this is presumptory.. regardless of if you are pro or anti stricter gun laws. It is not an either or argument. One can be focused on both.
    KimPossible likes this.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  5. #65
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    Do any of you worry that focusing solely on gun laws will totally distract from the fact that we have a huge and growing problem with mental illness in this country?
    No one has said to focus only on gun laws. I didn't bring up the mental illness piece because it wasn't part of this but Kim has spoken about coming in from different angles. There are MANY things that are overdue to be addressed..gun access and mental health help are just 2 pieces of the puzzle. I don't want it distract but I think it is a major player.
    ClairesMommy likes this.

  6. #66
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    I don't think she's unhappy with America and the Constitution. Our founding fathers were not talking about the weapons we have today and I'm sure couldn't fathom them.
    LOL - I am sure they COULD. They were the most intellectual minds at the time and the people voted them to represent them. There were such things as cannons, bomb, firearms. And they knew that these things would get more and more developed, new things would be created. Their point in the second amendment still stands. They wanted the populous to be able to defend itself.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  7. #67
    Community Host Sapphire Sunsets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Northeast, USA
    Posts
    7,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    ITA with this. Teachers should be teaching, not carrying guns. Here's something I wrote on FB this morning:

    "The problem *IS* guns. You simply can't kill dozens of people when you're armed with knives because those people know they have a fighting chance against you. And you don't need an assault rifle and explosive bullets to kill a deer or protect your home. There is absolutely no reason why anyone in America, at least anyone outside of law enforcement, should have that type of gun, those kinds of bullets. No reason at all. The Second Amendment says "a well-armed militia." It doesn't say anywhere that Joe Redneck gets to own multiple assault rifles and explosive bullets. It's time to put a stop to this. Kids shouldn't be dying in schools, and if Adam Lanza's mom didn't have those guns in her house, he wouldn't have been able to kill them all so easily."

    Or he would have waited till his application for a gun permit(applied for on Tues) was approved and done the same exact thing. Either way he was determined to get a gun and do this.

    If the school had an armed guard or armed teachers he wouldn't have been able to kill them easily.

  8. #68
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Our gun homicide rates are going down too and our laws haven't changed. I already posted the statistics.

    Here they are again.



    Read more: Gun crime continues to decrease, despite increase in gun sales | The Daily Caller
    I'm sorry, what is your argument? Are you saying that they could have done nothing and that would have worked, since apparently doing nothing is working here? If you think doing nothing is working just fine here, why are we tossing around these teacher-as-Clint-Eastwood fantasies? We're just fine, apparently, doing nothing to combat gun violence.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  9. #69
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    Do any of you worry that focusing solely on gun laws will totally distract from the fact that we have a huge and growing problem with mental illness in this country?
    I don't see why we can't look at both. If you want to argue that we have a huge problem with the resources devoted to mental health in this country and we need to fix that, I agree with you all the way. I just don't think that it's an either/or situation. I think we need to look at mental health AND guns in this country. But this thread is about arming teachers, so we're apt to talk gun contr in this thread.
    ClairesMommy likes this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  10. #70
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    LOL - I am sure they COULD. They were the most intellectual minds at the time and the people voted them to represent them. There were such things as cannons, bomb, firearms. And they knew that these things would get more and more developed, new things would be created. Their point in the second amendment still stands. They wanted the populous to be able to defend itself.
    I do agree with this. I think we need to be responsible with guns and they should be locked up when they are not needed, but Americans should be able to have access to guns. What if there was a civil war? Should only one side be able to arm itself? That was the point of the second amendment. That the Government could not over run the people because the people would have their own weapons to prevent that from happening.

    I do think there are reasonable rules that can and should be followed. One being no guns in public buildings with the exception of people who are highly trained to carry them. (Although that does not prevent all crime)

    ~Bonita~

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions