Gun Owner's Names and Addresses published by Newspaper - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 171
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Gun Owner's Names and Addresses published by Newspaper

  1. #91
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    It has nothing to do with police officers being ineffective. It has everything to do with the fact that by the time the police officer gets there everyone could be dead.
    Not at my school. We have a cop assigned to the school and the classrooms are spread out enough it would take longer to shoot 600 students than the cops' response. Or a sniper could hide out in one of the nearby homes or apartments and take down the students during lunch when 600 are on the field at once. No weapon or training you would issue a teacher is going to be able to determine which house the sniper is in, and accurately shoot him. Maybe the sniper would start with the adults on the field.

    Then again...if the shooter didn't have access to that many weapons and ammo, everyone wouldn't end up dead either.

  2. #92
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    Teachers are out-numbered 40:1 at the high schools. Some students outweigh their teachers by 150 pounds. You really don't think 1 or more students could take a concealed gun from a teacher, a teacher could misjudge a student's intentions and shoot the student because they felt threatened, or a teacher would fire their weapon because a fight seemed to get too serious?
    Or maybe teachers wouldn't be afraid to go to work because they fear being attacked.

    Teacher 'petrified' after attack by student - TODAY News - TODAY.com
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #93
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Or maybe teachers wouldn't be afraid to go to work because they fear being attacked.

    Teacher 'petrified' after attack by student - TODAY News - TODAY.com
    Would this have been worth someone ending up dead over? Either the high school student who sucker-punched her or the teacher if her gun was taken while the she was "on the floor trying to defend herself while the girl straddle[d] her"? Other students could have joined in. Then what?
    Jessica80 likes this.

  4. #94
    Posting Addict fuchsiasky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    5,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Or maybe teachers wouldn't be afraid to go to work because they fear being attacked.

    Teacher 'petrified' after attack by student - TODAY News - TODAY.com
    So the good alternative to that situation would have been a gun so that someone would have died. And that someone could have been the teacher if she was in a room full of 30 students who wanted to get her. Or would she have had to shoot them all to get away? Which situation is better than what did happen? Because in spite of a terrible traumatic incident, everyone still walked away alive, because no one had a gun.
    Me- Fuchsia
    My Wonderful Partner - Rob
    DD - December 17 2008
    DSD 15
    DSS 18
    Feline Furbabies - Sophie and Indigo

    Little Babe 22/12/05


  5. #95
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    Would this have been worth someone ending up dead over? Either the high school student who sucker-punched her or the teacher if her gun was taken while the she was "on the floor trying to defend herself while the girl straddle[d] her"? Other students could have joined in. Then what?
    The thing about guns is most of the time you don't have to use them. Just the fact that you have one deters others from trying anything. Do you think the girl would have attacked her if she was armed? I don't think so.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #96
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    The thing about guns is most of the time you don't have to use them. Just the fact that you have one deters others from trying anything. Do you think the girl would have attacked her if she was armed? I don't think so.
    Based on that article, if she'd had a gun I think someone would have returned the next day with a gun. These kids stood around and watched a teacher get physically beaten. Seems like a gun would have been an invitation to escalate things based on this type of behavior.
    indigoV51 and fuchsiasky like this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )



    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #97
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    The thing about guns is most of the time you don't have to use them. Just the fact that you have one deters others from trying anything. Do you think the girl would have attacked her if she was armed? I don't think so.
    Road rage isn't stopped by both parties being in vehicles even when the cars are mismatched.
    Gun violence in inner cities isn't less because you assume everyone has a gun.
    Having a gun in the house doesn't stop domestic violence.
    People still shoot at cops even though they know they are armed.

    You know what happens when the person with the gun assumes everyone else has a gun? The Trayvon Martins in the nation end up dead.

  8. #98
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    Not at my school. We have a cop assigned to the school and the classrooms are spread out enough it would take longer to shoot 600 students than the cops' response. Or a sniper could hide out in one of the nearby homes or apartments and take down the students during lunch when 600 are on the field at once. No weapon or training you would issue a teacher is going to be able to determine which house the sniper is in, and accurately shoot him. Maybe the sniper would start with the adults on the field.

    Then again...if the shooter didn't have access to that many weapons and ammo, everyone wouldn't end up dead either.
    Then I guess you wouldn't need it at your school. Most schools don't have an officer there all the time. Strange how everyone thinks that the NRA is stupid because they want one at every school.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #99
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Then I guess you wouldn't need it at your school. Most schools don't have an officer there all the time. Strange how everyone thinks that the NRA is stupid because they want one at every school.

    I don't think that the NRA is stupid at all. I think that they are extremely intelligent, calculated, logical, and frighteningly focused on their end means rather than the best interest of our nation and our children. Not stupid. Scary smart and scary powerful. Not their constituents, necessarily (I tend to have a negative view of most of them, like I would of Jim Jones followers ~ JOnes was powerful, compelling, and smart, but the people who fell for him were sheep). ........., but their lobbyists? for sure smart as hell.

  10. #100
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,532

    Default

    The newspaper has requested the information from another county and they are refusing to provide it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

    Putnam County: No Gun Owner Names For Journal News
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions