GUNS - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 204
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: GUNS

  1. #21
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Yes, while they look like real guns I don't care for the "kid colors". If I were to be teaching gun safety I would want it to not seem so much like a toy. That might be a personal preference.

    Of course, I hate "cutesy" fishing poles too so it might just be preference.
    blather likes this.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  2. #22
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    Yes, while they look like real guns I don't care for the "kid colors". If I were to be teaching gun safety I would want it to not seem so much like a toy. That might be a personal preference.

    Of course, I hate "cutesy" fishing poles too so it might just be preference.
    Although avoiding it might also create a false sense of security. What is the advantage of reinforcing this idea that a real gun only fits a certain description. I would think none.

  3. #23
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    NPR article about children and guns on Facebook today. Honestly, a lot of the comments by readers are really infuriating. The stereotypes, lack of knowledge about how MOST families actually treat guns in the house, the notion that parent child bonding time over the activity is ridiculous or backwards...really ticks me off.
    When we were in Hawaii we were having this conversation about guns with new friends from Australia and SA and Scotland (co workers of my husband). I can tell you that they pretty much envisioned all Americans to be gun toting rednecks. They could not fathom why we all wanted or needed guns. The stereotype doesn't just exist amongst non gun holders here in the US, but abroad as well.

  4. #24
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Although avoiding it might also create a false sense of security. What is the advantage of reinforcing this idea that a real gun only fits a certain description. I would think none.
    Oh, I didn't mean that teaching children that only certain guns are real because they look like X. That would absolutely give a false sense of security. I just don't think there should be a need to create little kid guns that are hot pink. Makes it appear like a toy vs. a real weapon.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  5. #25
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    When we were in Hawaii we were having this conversation about guns with new friends from Australia and SA and Scotland (co workers of my husband). I can tell you that they pretty much envisioned all Americans to be gun toting rednecks. They could not fathom why we all wanted or needed guns. The stereotype doesn't just exist amongst non gun holders here in the US, but abroad as well.
    Yeah i don't care who holds the stereotype really. Its still a stereotype and its wrong. And i actually find it really hurtful to think about how some people might actual imagine the follwing things about my family

    a)How we behave generally
    b)What my other political views are
    c)What we actually do with our guns or how we treat them
    d)How we parent
    e)Our intellgience
    f)How responsible we are

    All based on the fact that we aren't anti-gun.

    Its stupid, and pretty shameful. But it always impresses me how much many people in the anti-gun crowd are so certain about how the non-anti gun crowd behaves.
    mom3girls and SID081108 like this.

  6. #26
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean that teaching children that only certain guns are real because they look like X. That would absolutely give a false sense of security. I just don't think there should be a need to create little kid guns that are hot pink. Makes it appear like a toy vs. a real weapon.
    but thats my point, they really do look like guns. It looks like a real gun that is pink. And we shouldn't tell our kids that real guns aren't pink, and a pink gun should be stashed away like all other guns, so while like you, i think all the 'cutesy-ing' of stuff is stupid....I don't really think the fact that its pink or orange or whatever is really the problem. The precautions that are supposed to be in place would protect children from guns no matter what color it is.

  7. #27
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Well if it makes you feel any better they lumped us all together just for being Americans. Your reaction seems so extreme, I admit that it seems super defensive.

    I know some career women or lesbians who think of SAHM"'s as "breeders" or look down on housewives or whatever. I can't even imagine getting defensive. Love my life. Can't imagine calling them stupid or shameful.

    whatever though, I don't have the gun thing in me today.

  8. #28
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    but thats my point, they really do look like guns. It looks like a real gun that is pink. And we shouldn't tell our kids that real guns aren't pink, and a pink gun should be stashed away like all other guns, so while like you, i think all the 'cutesy-ing' of stuff is stupid....I don't really think the fact that its pink or orange or whatever is really the problem. The precautions that are supposed to be in place would protect children from guns no matter what color it is.
    Exactly. And it goes the other way too. It is silly to ban a gun just because it looks more scary when it has exactly the same function as other guns.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #29
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Well if it makes you feel any better they lumped us all together just for being Americans. Your reaction seems so extreme, I admit that it seems super defensive.
    I think it is right now because i was reading those comments on that NPR article. Some of them were pretty extreme and offensive.

    I know some career women or lesbians who think of SAHM"'s as "breeders" or look down on housewives or whatever. I can't even imagine getting defensive. Love my life. Can't imagine calling them stupid or shameful.
    I think in general i get more defensive about things than you do. Just my personality can't help it. I'm pretty sensitive about the way I'm perceived. ETA: And my sensitivity is not a reflection on how much i do or don't love my life, not to sound defensive or anything
    Last edited by KimPossible; 05-03-2013 at 12:52 PM.

  10. #30
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,108

    Default

    Wait a minute...i just re-read that post. I know you said you are out, but i can't imagine what on earth would be bad about saying stereotyping people is stupid or shameful.

    Thats a truth.
    AlyssaEimers likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions