Hand Washing

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796
Hand Washing

Is it optional?

If you don't wash your hands after using the restroom in public, should you react when people give you dirty looks?

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

Perhaps it's optional in the privacy of your home but in public it's best to wash your hands. Not only because you have just used the bathroom, but in addition to that, you have been touching a lot of germy stuff in public.

ETA: Yes, you're allowed to react.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3187

Well you're always allowed to react, if that's the question.

If the question is "Should you wash your hands?" then it's yes.

If it's "are you allowed to react?" then yes to that too.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Yes to both.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

Should. Like I'm allowed to wear spandex, but definitely shouldn't.

Should you react or ignore the dirty looks or comments?

I don't say or do anything when I see women and their kids walk out in public without washing, but at work I've actually said something (and found out the girl thought sanitizer at her desk was the same thing).

I just don't think washing hands should be socially optional and it seems like there are a lot of people who do.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

I'm confused. If I don't wash my hands and someone stares me down, should I try to justify not washing my hands or give them vulgar looks back?? lol i don't know I guess if didn't have an ounce of embarassment in me to not feel bad about my lack of handwashing.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I read some crazy funny statistic site thingy that said on average you come in contact with 12 pubic hairs every day, that are not your own. :puke: Just today we were in Winners and both kids on separate occasions said they had to pee. I do ALL the touching when we're in public bathrooms. Undies and shorts down, prop up on the toilet seat and hold them so they don't have to touch it, then wash like I'm about to perform open heart surgery and use the paper towel to turn off the tap and open the door. Yeah, I don't go through all that at home, but jeez louise I certainly am disgusted by public bathrooms.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

While I think it's gross not to wash your hands, I still think it's optional.

It's also optional to give someone the stink eye (or say something to them) if they don't wash their hands, but I don't really see what the point is. I'm pretty sure that most people know they're supposed to wash their hands after going to the bathroom, so I assume that they just don't care.

I'm sort of amused by how many people are totally freaked out by germs in a public bathroom though (not just on this thread, more IRL because I think literally ALL of my girlfriends are of the "don't. touch. ANYTHING" mindset.) I just think that literally everything you touch every single day is covered in germs and bacteria, and most of the time our bodies' defense systems are able to deal with it just fine, so it seems like a pointless waste of anxiety to worry that much about it.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

While I think it's gross not to wash your hands, I still think it's optional.

It's also optional to give someone the stink eye (or say something to them) if they don't wash their hands, but I don't really see what the point is. I'm pretty sure that most people know they're supposed to wash their hands after going to the bathroom, so I assume that they just don't care.

I'm sort of amused by how many people are totally freaked out by germs in a public bathroom though (not just on this thread, more IRL because I think literally ALL of my girlfriends are of the "don't. touch. ANYTHING" mindset.) I just think that literally everything you touch every single day is covered in germs and bacteria, and most of the time our bodies' defense systems are able to deal with it just fine, so it seems like a pointless waste of anxiety to worry that much about it.

I just can't get past the ick factor though when I can see diarrhea splashed up under the toilet bowl in our local grocery store. Like, it makes me want to barf (actually, maybe it IS puke, and not diarrhea but that's neither here nor there ;)). DH refuses to take the kids to the men's bathroom when we're out because he says men pee all over the place. I tell him the women's bathroom is no better. I just cannot handle strangers' excrement and bodily fluids. E-coli, c. difficile...no thank you.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Yeah, actually seeing nastiness splattered is pretty squick-worthy.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Yeah, actually seeing nastiness splattered is pretty squick-worthy.

Our local Walmart probably has the cleanest bathroom around. It's always clean, at least on the surface. Same with the mall. Super clean and always stocked with soap. We went to Boston Pizza for supper a while back and this little boy at the next table started puking his chocolate milk so mom rushes him to the bathroom, he barfs all over the floor in a stall, and it sits there for literally an hour before any of the staff went in to clean it up. AND, the mother told them that her kid had thrown up but nobody wanted to deal with it. Yuck.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

While I think it's gross not to wash your hands, I still think it's optional.

It's also optional to give someone the stink eye (or say something to them) if they don't wash their hands, but I don't really see what the point is. I'm pretty sure that most people know they're supposed to wash their hands after going to the bathroom, so I assume that they just don't care.

I'm sort of amused by how many people are totally freaked out by germs in a public bathroom though (not just on this thread, more IRL because I think literally ALL of my girlfriends are of the "don't. touch. ANYTHING" mindset.) I just think that literally everything you touch every single day is covered in germs and bacteria, and most of the time our bodies' defense systems are able to deal with it just fine, so it seems like a pointless waste of anxiety to worry that much about it.

I am in mild shock. I did not know people felt hand washing was optional. (I must live under a rock) Now DH is one of those people who will not touch anything in a public RR. When he first goes in he gets his paper towel ready then when he leaves he opens the door with his paper towel then throws it away. I am not to that extreme, but the idea of not washing hands after you use a public RR makes me gag a little. I still wash in our own home, but it is not as gross as a public.

No offence to anyone who does not wash their hands.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3187

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

I'm sort of amused by how many people are totally freaked out by germs in a public bathroom though (not just on this thread, more IRL because I think literally ALL of my girlfriends are of the "don't. touch. ANYTHING" mindset.) I just think that literally everything you touch every single day is covered in germs and bacteria, and most of the time our bodies' defense systems are able to deal with it just fine, so it seems like a pointless waste of anxiety to worry that much about it.

I agree. I laugh when people use a paper towel to touch the bathroom door at work, I want to say, "how about your PHONE or your DESK or your COMPUTER KEYBOARD?" It's all terribly germy. But we deal with it.

A good friend of mine used to chase her son around the playground with Purell, which just seemed ridiculous to me.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I am in mild shock. I did not know people felt hand washing was optional. (I must live under a rock) Now DH is one of those people who will not touch anything in a public RR. When he first goes in he gets his paper towel ready then when he leaves he opens the door with his paper towel then throws it away. I am not to that extreme, but the idea of not washing hands after you use a public RR makes me gag a little. I still wash in our own home, but it is not as gross as a public.

No offence to anyone who does not wash their hands.

LOL Bonita. When I say "optional" I guess I just mean, like, they shouldn't make a law about it or anything. I'm not saying "I think it's just fine if people don't wash their hands;" again, I think it's gross. I just don't think that washing your hands is enforceable (unless you work in a restaurant or other food service.)

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

LOL Bonita. When I say "optional" I guess I just mean, like, they shouldn't make a law about it or anything. I'm not saying "I think it's just fine if people don't wash their hands;" again, I think it's gross. I just don't think that washing your hands is enforceable (unless you work in a restaurant or other food service.)

Haha, I totally missed your point. I totally don't think it should be illegal either.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Just an anecdote but yesterday I was out to eat with my husband and my girls and they came into the bathroom with me. Littlest yells at me to "sit on the potty mommy you have to SIT on it!" lol. I was like NOOOOO! So dirty!

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

"Jessica80" wrote:

Just an anecdote but yesterday I was out to eat with my husband and my girls and they came into the bathroom with me. Littlest yells at me to "sit on the potty mommy you have to SIT on it!" lol. I was like NOOOOO! So dirty!

The toilet seat is probably cleaner than your cell phone.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"mommytoMR.FACE" wrote:

The toilet seat is probably cleaner than your cell phone.

Yep probably. Wasn't using my story to say that toilets are the only germy things. Just reminded me of this debate.