iPads, iPhones etc - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 46 of 46
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: iPads, iPhones etc

  1. #41
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    I have not had time to go back through and read all of this thread, but I just got back from a teachers conference and they gave us some research that I though was pertinent to this idea.

    If a child is does not have access to computers between the ages of 4-8 they will not have equal vocabulary as their peers that did have access to computer technology when they are in high school. Allowing them to use computers (while managing their time) will create neuro pathways that cannot be created after age 8
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  2. #42
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    I have not had time to go back through and read all of this thread, but I just got back from a teachers conference and they gave us some research that I though was pertinent to this idea.

    If a child is does not have access to computers between the ages of 4-8 they will not have equal vocabulary as their peers that did have access to computer technology when they are in high school. Allowing them to use computers (while managing their time) will create neuro pathways that cannot be created after age 8
    Can you cite this, please? Because I've heard exactly the opposite from family & friends who are in education, which is basically that computers shouldn't be in elementary schools, that computers don't improve learning or test scores at the elementary level, and that "computer" is the one language better learned later than sooner.
    blather likes this.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  3. #43
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    Can you cite this, please? Because I've heard exactly the opposite from family & friends who are in education, which is basically that computers shouldn't be in elementary schools, that computers don't improve learning or test scores at the elementary level, and that "computer" is the one language better learned later than sooner.
    Let me see if I can get a website since what I have is a hard copy
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  4. #44
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    I have not had time to go back through and read all of this thread, but I just got back from a teachers conference and they gave us some research that I though was pertinent to this idea.

    If a child is does not have access to computers between the ages of 4-8 they will not have equal vocabulary as their peers that did have access to computer technology when they are in high school. Allowing them to use computers (while managing their time) will create neuro pathways that cannot be created after age 8
    Well this is a bunch of BS.. put quite literally as to put it.. for mater a factly those in high end computer programing jobs that I know at the moment IE even steve jobs didn't have computer access as a 4-8 year old.. seriously!
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  5. #45
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    Well this is a bunch of BS.. put quite literally as to put it.. for mater a factly those in high end computer programing jobs that I know at the moment IE even steve jobs didn't have computer access as a 4-8 year old.. seriously!
    still haven't found my booklet with my information on it (somewhere on my desk at work, but this week has been crazy) but this was addressed. People in our generation didnt have access to computers, so this wouldnt apply to them. Kids in our childrens generation dont really remember a time without technology, their brains are processing at a different rate.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  6. #46
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,639

    Default

    I understand what Lisa is trying to say and it makes sense. A child that learns a foreign language as a child will have an easier time learning it than someone who tries to learn as an adult. That does not mean an adult can't learn, it is just easier as a child. The same with playing the piano. There is just something special about those early years that makes it easier to learn information faster.

    That said, I do not let my kids spend all their time on-line either.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions