Lesbian kicked out of college, and charged $6,000 for it. - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 114
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Lesbian kicked out of college, and charged $6,000 for it.

  1. #51
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Of course they don't accept or condone homosexuality- I'm not saying they are great places- they are sadly still bigoted - I'm simply pointing out that not all Christian colleges are little freaky cult like places where they minister your tv usage, ban dancing, have strict dress codes and make you attend chapel every day, or make men and women walk on different sidewalks. I think grace is like a weird little cult, as I described. I don't think messiah or wheaten are that way, though obviously I disagree with their policy on gay students. I know that many students had a relatively "normal" college experience there. Not sure what you are really trying to prove as I witnessed first hand.
    So you have been to Grace to compare how they enforce these rules? Just because Messiah is a little more vague about it, the rules are still there.

    2. As a community we commit ourselves to expressing Christian values in
    responsible decisions and actions. While not all Christians agree about the
    application of Christian values to specific situations, we expect honesty in
    dialoguing about and applying Christian values to things such as the use of
    language, leisure time and entertainment options, observance of the Lord’s
    Day, and personal appearance
    .
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  2. #52
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I guess you haven't been around many Christian schools if you think that is abnormal.
    I've been around a lot of Christian schools...well i call them Christian, you might not because they are Catholic. Anywho, i definitely don't think its common enough amongst ALL christian schools to call it perfectly normal, and by society's standards it does promote fairly abnormal behavior. Sure..to a certain small sub-population in relation to the general population it may sound perfectly normal

    ...which goes back to examining the definition cult-ish

  3. #53
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So you have been to Grace to compare how they enforce these rules? Just because Messiah is a little more vague about it, the rules are still there.
    No, I haven't, but you are being deliberately obtuse. Did you read graces? It's way, way different. You can act like these schools are the same, but they aren't. At the end of the day one is micromanaging students lives, relationships and Internet and tv, and one isn't. Don't know what else to tell you, really.

  4. #54
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    I have been away from this thread because I have not had much internet access this week.

    This thread is very offensive. So much for respecting other people's religion. You (General you), do not have to like or agree with a person's beliefs or religion to be kind or respectful. I personally know several well adjusted young people who go to PCC. Yes, it is strict, but that is the choice of the person that goes there. I can also tell you that most people do not go there because it is so cheap. They accept no federal funds, so that means no financial aid or loans meaning it all has to be paid out of pocket.

    I went to a conservative Christian college. No-one forced me to go. I wanted to go there. I had a great experience. As for accreditation, it depends on your end goal. If you plan to be a pastor, missionary, or other such field accreditation is not important. Or, if you get your undergraduate degree at a private college, then transfer and get your masters at a State school. Some professions (like DH' s), depend on certification not your degree.
    SID081108 likes this.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #55
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    I feel like you are talking to me, Bonita, but not actually addressing me or the valid issues brought up. Let me know where I didn't respect someone's religion, please.

  6. #56
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I have been away from this thread because I have not had much internet access this week.

    This thread is very offensive. So much for respecting other people's religion. You (General you), do not have to like or agree with a person's beliefs or religion to be kind or respectful. I personally know several well adjusted young people who go to PCC. Yes, it is strict, but that is the choice of the person that goes there. I can also tell you that most people do not go there because it is so cheap. They accept no federal funds, so that means no financial aid or loans meaning it all has to be paid out of pocket.

    I went to a conservative Christian college. No-one forced me to go. I wanted to go there. I had a great experience. As for accreditation, it depends on your end goal. If you plan to be a pastor, missionary, or other such field accreditation is not important. Or, if you get your undergraduate degree at a private college, then transfer and get your masters at a State school. Some professions (like DH' s), depend on certification not your degree.

    Can you point out where people have been disrespectful rather than generalize (generalizing is very hard to debate, and if you are here I assume you want to debate rather than just complain/play the victim). Do you think that it is unkind to believe in cults? I don't. Heck, I took a class on cults in my very christian school, its a very Christian thing to do to identify cults (Amazon.com: Larson's New Book of Cults (9780842328609): Bob Larson: Books) .

  7. #57
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Of course they don't accept or condone homosexuality- I'm not saying they are great places- they are sadly still bigoted - I'm simply pointing out that not all Christian colleges are little freaky cult like places where they minister your tv usage, ban dancing, have strict dress codes and make you attend chapel every day, or make men and women walk on different sidewalks. I think grace is like a weird little cult, as I described. I don't think messiah or wheaten are that way, though obviously I disagree with their policy on gay students. I know that many students had a relatively "normal" college experience there. Not sure what you are really trying to prove as I witnessed first hand.
    Not sure it matters if it is a "weird little cult" or not. This woman signed up for it. She broke their rules and was kicked out... simple.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  8. #58
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I have been away from this thread because I have not had much internet access this week.

    This thread is very offensive. So much for respecting other people's religion. You (General you), do not have to like or agree with a person's beliefs or religion to be kind or respectful. I personally know several well adjusted young people who go to PCC. Yes, it is strict, but that is the choice of the person that goes there. I can also tell you that most people do not go there because it is so cheap. They accept no federal funds, so that means no financial aid or loans meaning it all has to be paid out of pocket.

    I went to a conservative Christian college. No-one forced me to go. I wanted to go there. I had a great experience. As for accreditation, it depends on your end goal. If you plan to be a pastor, missionary, or other such field accreditation is not important. Or, if you get your undergraduate degree at a private college, then transfer and get your masters at a State school. Some professions (like DH' s), depend on certification not your degree.

    Semester Payments
    Fall 1 2 3 & 4
    Spring 5 6 7 & 8
    Residence Hall Students
    Tuition $ 2,200.00 $ 550.00 $ 550.00 $ 550.00
    Room and Board 1,798.00 449.50 449.50 449.50
    Technology Fee 150.00 37.50 37.50 37.50
    Student Services Fee 300.00 75.00 75.00 75.00
    Health Services Fee 128.00 32.00 32.00 32.00
    Contingency Deposit 50.00 1 50.00 1 n/a n/a
    Reservation Fee2 110.00 n/a n/a n/a
    Academic Program Fee3 varies ___.__

    Just FTR, it IS an incredibly inexpensive school. They also have a ton of scholarships and work/study programs available. I can't think of any state or private schools in my state as cheap as this one. Not one. Our local community colleges are not even this cheap. I mean, thats good since it isn't accredited, but its hard to say that price wouldn't figure into many peoples decision when its a fraction of most other schools.

  9. #59
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    15,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Semester Payments
    Fall 1 2 3 & 4
    Spring 5 6 7 & 8
    Residence Hall Students
    Tuition $ 2,200.00 $ 550.00 $ 550.00 $ 550.00
    Room and Board 1,798.00 449.50 449.50 449.50
    Technology Fee 150.00 37.50 37.50 37.50
    Student Services Fee 300.00 75.00 75.00 75.00
    Health Services Fee 128.00 32.00 32.00 32.00
    Contingency Deposit 50.00 1 50.00 1 n/a n/a
    Reservation Fee2 110.00 n/a n/a n/a
    Academic Program Fee3 varies ___.__

    Just FTR, it IS an incredibly inexpensive school. They also have a ton of scholarships and work/study programs available. I can't think of any state or private schools in my state as cheap as this one. Not one. Our local community colleges are not even this cheap. I mean, thats good since it isn't accredited, but its hard to say that price wouldn't figure into many peoples decision when its a fraction of most other schools.
    Whoa...that is so incredibly cheap! I paid that amount of tuition for my kids when they were in daycare!
    Carolyn - 37
    Wife to Chad - 39
    Mom to Tom - 15
    Matt -11
    Nathan - 10


  10. #60
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Just FTR, it IS an incredibly inexpensive school. They also have a ton of scholarships and work/study programs available. I can't think of any state or private schools in my state as cheap as this one. Not one. Our local community colleges are not even this cheap. I mean, thats good since it isn't accredited, but its hard to say that price wouldn't figure into many peoples decision when its a fraction of most other schools.
    It's cheap because it's subsidized by a line of homeschool books, which are in ways very good, but nationalist and very inappropriate for non-evangelical Christians. I have a couple of books I was given by another afterschooling parent, and I was condidering using part of the books, but I am glad I decided not to, as I don't want my money to support this kind of school and sexism.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions