Lesbian kicked out of college, and charged $6,000 for it. - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 114
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Lesbian kicked out of college, and charged $6,000 for it.

  1. #81
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Bahahaha! Okay fine, you can call me either T or Reid a few times to make up for it. I did know your name is Lisa, I'm just prone to major brain farts.
    I love the name Reid. That's Ben's middle name Sorry for hijacking briefly.
    Alissa_Sal likes this.

  2. #82
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Gay gene? OY.

    As has already been pointed out, being gay isn't just sex any more than being straight is. The boy I had a crush on in 4th grade wasn't someone I wanted to have sex with. Same for the boy my friend John had a crush on in 4th grade.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  3. #83
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    I agree with Bonita and Kim, but I do actually look forward to the day when it's illegal to include being gay as one of those things they can dictate. (I don't mean having sex, I mean BEING gay.)
    I went to a conservative Christian college. (Not PCC, but a similar college) You would not have been kicked out for having a sexual attraction. You could have been kicked out for having sex outside of marriage either gay or straight. Just being attracted to the same gender would not get you kicked out of anywhere.
    Rivergallery likes this.

    ~Bonita~

  4. #84
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I went to a conservative Christian college. (Not PCC, but a similar college) You would not have been kicked out for having a sexual attraction. You could have been kicked out for having sex outside of marriage either gay or straight. Just being attracted to the same gender would not get you kicked out of anywhere.
    How about a non-sexual but romantic relationship? Just curious if that was an option.

    This is a whole new world to me. I can understand wanting to go to a college that supported lifestyle choices if you wanted to avoid going to a "party school" or something like that, but I guess I don't really understanding needing RULES from an external source about such things.

    I don't know if this analogy works, but....let's say I was struggling with dieting and wanted to go to a college that didn't have junk food on campus and had lots of exercise classes. I still wouldn't want a college that could expel me for eating a chocolate bar off campus.
    Spacers and Jessica80 like this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  5. #85
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    I don't know if this analogy works, but....let's say I was struggling with dieting and wanted to go to a college that didn't have junk food on campus and had lots of exercise classes. I still wouldn't want a college that could expel me for eating a chocolate bar off campus.
    You may not wish to go to such a place, but do you think it should be illegal to do so?

    ~Bonita~

  6. #86
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    How about a non-sexual but romantic relationship? Just curious if that was an option.

    This is a whole new world to me. I can understand wanting to go to a college that supported lifestyle choices if you wanted to avoid going to a "party school" or something like that, but I guess I don't really understanding needing RULES from an external source about such things.

    I don't know if this analogy works, but....let's say I was struggling with dieting and wanted to go to a college that didn't have junk food on campus and had lots of exercise classes. I still wouldn't want a college that could expel me for eating a chocolate bar off campus.
    You can't understand it because your parents raised you to be able to make your own rules with confidence. These kids are so sheltered and shamed that they truly can't navigate the world without a carefully crafted set of teeny tiny totally controlling rules. The school simply becomes their parent by proxy during the college "experience"
    indigoV51, Spacers and blather like this.

  7. #87
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    You may not wish to go to such a place, but do you think it should be illegal to do so?
    In Stacey's ideal world, yes, places like that would absolutely be illegal. College is the age and place where you are supposed to be learning about the world, about yourself, and about how to interact with your fellow human beings. Sheltering yourself from the world is never a good thing IME.

    But since we're still in the real world, I don't necessarily want to see these colleges shut down, but I don't think they should be able to kick out a student for normal natural behavior *AND* still expect to get that student's tuition. Colleges who do so shouldn't be able to accept federal loans, and college-supported scholarships should never require a morality clause.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  8. #88
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    In Stacey's ideal world, yes, places like that would absolutely be illegal. College is the age and place where you are supposed to be learning about the world, about yourself, and about how to interact with your fellow human beings. Sheltering yourself from the world is never a good thing IME.

    But since we're still in the real world, I don't necessarily want to see these colleges shut down, but I don't think they should be able to kick out a student for normal natural behavior *AND* still expect to get that student's tuition. Colleges who do so shouldn't be able to accept federal loans, and college-supported scholarships should never require a morality clause.
    This opinion is hard for me. In your ideal world you would tell people what kind of college they can or can not go to? That is no different than making it law that you have to go to a college like that. Everyone should be able to go to whatever kind of college they want to. If no one wanted to go to such colleges, they would go out of business. Just because you would never go to such a college, does not mean that no one should be able to? Talk about shoving your opinions down other's throat. The vast majority of people in college are at least 18 and making their own legal decisions.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #89
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Do you think that most of the students there are there because that was what they truly wanted...or what they knew was expected from them? What their parents expected them to do?
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  10. #90
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    Do you think that most of the students there are there because that was what they truly wanted...or what they knew was expected from them? What their parents expected them to do?
    I went to a Conservative Christian college. It was what I wanted to do. No one forced me. In fact I had to beg my father to take me to see the college. He wanted me to go to a local State school. Yes, there were some that were there because their parents wanted them to be there, but the vast majority were there because that was the school they chose to be at.

    It would have been far cheaper for me to go to a local State school where I would have gotten scholarships and more financial aid. I wanted to go for the environment. All of my growing up years I went to public school in NY. That was not what I wanted out of college so I went to a Conservative college in TN. Trust me, if it were it my parent decision I would have gone to a public college in NY. 13 years later, I am still very happy with my decision of where to go to college.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions