Losing the $1 bill? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Losing the $1 bill?

  1. #11
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    When I'm in Canada, I find the $1 and $2 coins a pain, I hate carrying around heavy change. But I'm sure I'd adjust.
    This is what I'm thinking. I hate carrying around coins! But i can deal with it.

    I typically don't carry much physical money around with me anyway

  2. #12
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    This is what I'm thinking. I hate carrying around coins! But i can deal with it.

    I typically don't carry much physical money around with me anyway
    I always come home from my trips to Canada loaded down with heavy coinage.....so heavy. So unfriendly to my pockets.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  3. #13
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    I always come home from my trips to Canada loaded down with heavy coinage.....so heavy. So unfriendly to my pockets.
    Haha, and then you have to try to sneak the Canadian dimes off on some unsuspecting and unobservant person....

    (I grew up in OH, so Canadian dimes were fairly common. Only the dimes, I guess because they look so much like regular dimes. You aren't technically supposed to use them as money in the US, but people totally did. It was kind of like a big statewide game of Old Maid.)
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  4. #14
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Haha, and then you have to try to sneak the Canadian dimes off on some unsuspecting and unobservant person....

    (I grew up in OH, so Canadian dimes were fairly common. Only the dimes, I guess because they look so much like regular dimes. You aren't technically supposed to use them as money in the US, but people totally did. It was kind of like a big statewide game of Old Maid.)
    We always got a lot of Canadian quarters where I lived in Montana everyone used them as normal but you had to be careful not to stick them in a vending machine. When I was in high school my Dad ran a catalog outlet store and sometimes we would get people from Canada paying with Canadian money. We were only 60 miles south of the Canadian border and depending on the exchange rates sometimes it was cheaper for them to buy things in the US, so they would order it through the catalog and come and pick it up. It wasn't a big deal we would just call the bank to make sure we charged the right exchange rate and just deposited the money as usual. The banks there would exchange it no problem.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #15
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Growing up only an hour or so from Canada, we used Canadian money all the time.
    mom2robbie likes this.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #16
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Haha, and then you have to try to sneak the Canadian dimes off on some unsuspecting and unobservant person....

    (I grew up in OH, so Canadian dimes were fairly common. Only the dimes, I guess because they look so much like regular dimes. You aren't technically supposed to use them as money in the US, but people totally did. It was kind of like a big statewide game of Old Maid.)
    Yeah, we get lots of US quarters dimes and nickels here. Tim Hortons takes them. That's all I care about.

    Seriously, the loonie and twoonie aren't that big of a deal. I don't have that much more change in my wallet than I did before they were introduced. They'll pretty much last forever, eliminating having to reproduce them and take old ones out of circulation like paper bills.

    Anyone else seen Canada's new bills? They are polymer. Yeah, they're partly plastic and have this clear window you can see right through. Plus, OMG you should see the anti-counterfeiting measures they're using on these bills. Insane. And yes, still colour-coded.

  7. #17
    Posting Addict mom2robbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,821

    Default

    I used to save the American coins I would get for my next trip across the border. There was also a time where the banks would take the American coins and exchange them for bills.

    I worked at Canada's Wonderland many years ago and at that time we took American money at par (and I think our dollar was only worth $0.60). It was a pita for the managers so they allowed us to buy the American bills at par so that they would not have to deal with it.

    I have yet to see the new $20s. The $100 bills really do smell like maple syrup, especially after being in your wallet for a bit
    Margaret (44)
    Sean (38 )
    Robbie (8 )
    Bailey (April 2, 2011)


    "The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind." Caroline Myss

  8. #18
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom2robbie View Post
    I used to save the American coins I would get for my next trip across the border. There was also a time where the banks would take the American coins and exchange them for bills.

    I worked at Canada's Wonderland many years ago and at that time we took American money at par (and I think our dollar was only worth $0.60). It was a pita for the managers so they allowed us to buy the American bills at par so that they would not have to deal with it.

    I have yet to see the new $20s. The $100 bills really do smell like maple syrup, especially after being in your wallet for a bit
    They are so freaking smooth too that they almost stick together. Does that make sense? I haven't sniffed the $100 yet. Although, I did have to laugh when people were complaining about how they melted on the dash. If you're stupid enough to leave your wallet or a $100/$50 bill on your dash in plain sight you've got bigger fish to fry, me thinks.

  9. #19
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClairesMommy View Post
    They are so freaking smooth too that they almost stick together. Does that make sense? I haven't sniffed the $100 yet. Although, I did have to laugh when people were complaining about how they melted on the dash. If you're stupid enough to leave your wallet or a $100/$50 bill on your dash in plain sight you've got bigger fish to fry, me thinks.
    Do they really melt? I hadnt heard that, but that sucks. My DH always throws his wallet on the dash when he is driving, so I could see that being a problem.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  10. #20
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    Do they really melt? I hadnt heard that, but that sucks. My DH always throws his wallet on the dash when he is driving, so I could see that being a problem.
    lol.... the thing i read was about people leaving their wallet or cash in the baking sun for hours and hours at a time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions