Man arrested for holding baby and BB gun - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 101
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Man arrested for holding baby and BB gun

  1. #51
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClairesMommy View Post
    Why not? Because it promotes violent play in children. I don't think a bunch of kids running around trying to 'shoot' each other is all that cool, Gloria.
    Well we did it as kids and I have 10 brothers and sisters and none of us are violent. I have 2 grown sons who did it as kids and they aren't violent and they had plenty of nerf guns and dart guns and everything else. I know plenty of other people who have done it that aren't violent either. So sorry I disagree.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  2. #52
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Why not? If you don't let them play with a gun they will just use their finger, what's the difference?

    Excellent point!

    My 5 year old loves to play swords so I recently gave them real metal swords to play with ~ whats the difference?
    My kids love to play camping. I built them a fire and let them go at it, they would just PRETEND otherwise, so what's the difference?
    My daughter loves to nurture things. I gave her my friends newborn to practice wearing in a sling and feeding a bottle last time I babysat her. If I didn't she would just use PRETEND dolls, so what's the difference?

    I mean, really? If my kids see people smoking and want to pretend to smoke, I just give them real cigarettes, what's the difference?

    I don't understand this line of thinking. I don't understand giving a first grader a gun. Its just so far beyond the pale for me its hard to truly comment on.

    I wouldn't want my one month old shot with a high velocity plastic pellet........would you? Obviously you are find with your 7 year old being shot with one, but I wouldn't be okay with that either.
    Spacers and Jessica80 like this.

  3. #53
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I wouldn't want my one month old shot with a high velocity plastic pellet........would you? Obviously you are find with your 7 year old being shot with one, but I wouldn't be okay with that either.
    No thats why I wouldn't let him shoot it in the house. There is no danger of it accidentally going off because you have to c ock it every time you shoot it. Obviously I am fine with my 7 year old being shot with one as he has been. I am very strict about them wearing eye protection but other than that it couldn't cause anything worse than a small bruise even at close range.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #54
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Well we did it as kids and I have 10 brothers and sisters and none of us are violent. I have 2 grown sons who did it as kids and they aren't violent and they had plenty of nerf guns and dart guns and everything else. I know plenty of other people who have done it that aren't violent either. So sorry I disagree.
    I never understand these arguments. My grandmother continued to smoke through her 5 pregnancies. My mom and her siblings are perfectly fine. I would never think that would mean that smoking during pregnancy is a good thing.

    My daughters naturally irritate each other as siblings here and there. The next time someone pinches or they tumble to the ground and wrestle I'll just let them go at it and not tell them to stop and why it is not good to fight because naturally they are going to do it anyway.

  5. #55
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    I never understand these arguments. My grandmother continued to smoke through her 5 pregnancies. My mom and her siblings are perfectly fine. I would never think that would mean that smoking during pregnancy is a good thing.

    My daughters naturally irritate each other as siblings here and there. The next time someone pinches or they tumble to the ground and wrestle I'll just let them go at it and not tell them to stop and why it is not good to fight because naturally they are going to do it anyway.
    Well obviously you think smoking and pinching each other are bad things. I don't think shooting a gun is a bad thing.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #56
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    I think allowing a child to "play" with guns is a negative thing yes. I don't think an adult shooting a gun is a negative thing.

    I think making guns and warfare a game leads to an overall violent outlook and I think that is half the problem we face here in the US. We are such a violent culture.
    Spacers likes this.

  7. #57
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Well obviously you think smoking and pinching each other are bad things. I don't think shooting a gun is a bad thing.
    I'm thinking of situations in which shooting a gun is a good thing:
    1. Target practice to learn how to use a gun to defend your life/property/family
    2. Hunting game
    3. Using a gun in a real situation like in #1 above
    4. Skeet shooting at a range

    Other than that, I can't think of a single reason why children should be running about shooting each other with REAL weapons. Doesn't matter if they shoot plastic pellets or not. A child pointing a gun at another child, pulling the trigger and then finding it super fun to hit the other child is messed up.
    Jessica80 likes this.

  8. #58
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    My son will get a BB gun when he turns 5 and I'm cool with it. It should be used with adult supervision. We have the air propeller gun and while we do play with it only as adults now, when he's a little older we'll let him play with it too. He already has a nerf gun gifted to him that has foam bullets; he doesn't ever play with it, but he was really jealouse of the BB gun my nephew got at Christmastime and was far better at shooting and enjoyed it more than the owner.

    I realized this morning when I went to cut up an apple that I had the baby on one hip and a knife in the other. I can't imagine someone calling the cops on me for it, but put the knife down and then the baby. It just didn't seem likely that the baby would somehow make me cut him; I can imagine it didn't even occur to the guy that people would assume he was taking a huge chance with an air gun. I'd have called the cops with that photo too, but would have felt really really really stupid when it was found out it was a toy even if I did believe guns shouldn't be toys.

    I teach my son a lot of things he won't be able to do by himself as a child that he'll be able to do as an adult and let him play a whole bunch of things that require my supervision that may be considered dangerous. He rides his bike with a helmet when we go out because I've taught him that safety is important and he's not allowed to go anywhere without us as he learns the rules of the road. When he's a teenager and able to ride his bike by himself, I'll be less concerned because of it because I know he was taught and shown things he needs to know from the getgo. I wouldn't want him to learn about guns as an adult because they are dangerous and he might miss out on pertinent information or disregard a safety rule that hasn't been drilled into him that could save his or someone else's life.

    eta-we also let him play rough wiht other kids who want to wrestle. He's never been exposed ot it at home, but when it is a part of other children's lives, he learns from them. I can't think of a show that he's watched that has guns or even where he would have seen one IRL, but he was two the first time I got shot with a finger.

  9. #59
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClairesMommy View Post
    Other than that, I can't think of a single reason why children should be running about shooting each other with REAL weapons. Doesn't matter if they shoot plastic pellets or not. A child pointing a gun at another child, pulling the trigger and then finding it super fun to hit the other child is messed up.
    I guess you should tell that to all the people that are doing it at paintball gun ranges and laser tag. Those are pretty popular. They do it because its fun. If that isn't fun to you that's ok. I'm sure there are things that you think are fun that I don't. That doesn't make anyone messed up. I personally don't do paintball either because I think it hurts. But my boys and a whole lot of other people like it and I don't see a problem with it.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #60
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Yes. Its quite possible to teach children about guns without arming them with actual guns. I don't burn my house down to go over our fire safety procedure, nor do I believe that you have to give babies guns to "teach" them how to be smart around guns. I don't think that the stats bear out the idea that children who grow up in homes without guns are more likely to die from gunshot wounds. Quite the opposite, actually. My kids are pretty smart. We can teach them how to be safe around dogs, or guns, or snakes, or lawnmowers, or all sorts of things without having to own those things.
    Jessica80 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions