Marissa Mayer says no more telecommuting for Yahoo employees - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 98
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Marissa Mayer says no more telecommuting for Yahoo employees

  1. #71
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I use babysitters. You think working parents are the only ones who deal with sick kids or sick (or hospitalized) parents? we had to hire full time "alternative childcare" when i broke my hip (our main sitter, who we use for overnights was still teaching school the first teo weeeks) Kindov insulting.. I have no fewer than 6 babysitters who have been background checked and who watch my kids. If one is sick and the others have something I hire a sitter. When I was on crutches for 8 weeks my girlfriends set up a meal thing online and fed my entire family dinner for 8 weeks. Community and a bevy of help is important whether you work or not. If people don't have help available I truly feel terrible for them if sh!t should ever hit the fan someday.
    I could see finding full time help if something terrible were to happen. In that scenario i would go out and get it. But a week of the flu? I'd have no good alternatives for something like that. All my babysitters are either full time workers or full time students.

    ETA: I mean who's on call for a random week of full time work and can be available unexpectedly like that?

  2. #72
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I use babysitters. You think working parents are the only ones who deal with sick kids or sick (or hospitalized) parents? we had to hire full time "alternative childcare" when i broke my hip (our main sitter, who we use for overnights was still teaching school the first teo weeeks) Kindov insulting.. I have no fewer than 6 babysitters who have been background checked and who watch my kids. If one is sick and the others have something I hire a sitter. When I was on crutches for 8 weeks my girlfriends set up a meal thing online and fed my entire family dinner for 8 weeks. Community and a bevy of help is important whether you work or not. If people don't have help available I truly feel terrible for them if sh!t should ever hit the fan someday.
    I'm not sure how thats insulting at all....but sorry if I insulted you. Not everyone has the resources that you do, and you can feel sorry for them all you want, but it doesnt change the situation. We move every 2-5 years. If we had a major emergency (like your hip, or even when your son was in the hospital) there would be tons of help from our 'community', but a sick kid? Wouldnt even register on their radar. As for hiring a babysitter, again, that is wonderful that you are able to do that. Every person I know here who is willing to watch children is watching children. And they wont watch sick ones. There is such a need for childcare that they can set their own price and dont have to risk their own health to do it.

    Again, I think you seem to have a very ideal situation in terms of work and a wonderful support system, but that is not available to everyone. In fact, I would suspect that what you have is very rare and you are very lucky to have it.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  3. #73
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    We used a combination of family but mostly sitters for Jakes recent emergency. We get sitters who work at our gym- all background checked and eager for work. Just like my incident showed us we didn't have enough short term disability coverage- we can either learn from what we are lacking or not. Now I'm being that annoying perso typing while working out- I'm out, for real. Again- it's disengenious to assume a sic kid is only a working parent problem. Had I been a working parent when I was bedridden my kids could have simply continued on at their daycare- sahp don't have that help- have you ever heard of a daycare suddenly taking on three kids for 6 weeks?

    Kim, as to who is on call ~ we hired two girls for a week each, 8-6, M-F. They were college students who had just finished the year ~ they hadn't sat for us before but were related to my sisters MIL, who is also my moms best friend. It worked out great. As I was in the house, as was my husband (me in bed, him working from home) we weren't worried about having new sitters with our kids. When things go awry there were options ~ we just had to reach out and look for them.
    Last edited by Potter75; 03-07-2013 at 06:06 PM.

  4. #74
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,267

    Default

    Its not that (double) working families have all the problems, its just that our problems are just different ones. Sick kids that need to stay home from school don't pull people together to help each other out the same way more serious situations like your hip or Jake's ordeal does. The two just aren't comparable. If the two types of situations get the same reaction in your community, i think thats unique.

  5. #75
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    We used a combination of family but mostly sitters for Jakes recent emergency. We get sitters who work at our gym- all background checked and eager for work. Just like my incident showed us we didn't have enough short term disability coverage- we can either learn from what we are lacking or not. Now I'm being that annoying perso typing while working out- I'm out, for real. Again- it's disengenious to assume a sic kid is only a working parent problem. Had I been a working parent when I was bedridden my kids could have simply continued on at their daycare- sahp don't have that help- have you ever heard of a daycare suddenly taking on three kids for 6 weeks?
    Where did I say that a sick kid is only a working parents problem? I am fully aware that they arent, as I am a SAHP myself. This discussion however, is about working parents so that is what I was addressing. And again, it is wonderful that you have such a resource of people who are willing to babysit at a moments notice. The people in my town who are eager to work, are already working full time. Not sure how I am supposed to 'learn from what is lacking' and change the resource situation in my town.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  6. #76
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Its not that (double) working families have all the problems, its just that our problems are just different ones. Sick kids that need to stay home from school don't pull people together to help each other out the same way more serious situations like your hip or Jake's ordeal does. The two just aren't comparable. If the two types of situations get the same reaction in your community, i think thats unique.
    I agree. Right now we have a part-time sitter who goes to college, she comes Monday-Friday 3-6:30, so often when the kids are sick she is available for more of the day, depending on her schedule. But if she can't come, we don't have anyone available for a random sick day or couple of days.

    I don't know anyone who has a pool of back-ups on any given day, to be honest, but it sounds lovely.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #77
    Prolific Poster Danifo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    To me it still comes down to, who wants to look after sick kids? If something happens to me or my husband, we work it out (like when I was hospitalized when my water broke, he took time off work until alternate care could be set up). However, our childcare providers don't want to take care of a feverish child or a vomiting child. To be honest, I only do because I love them. I wouldn't want to look after other people's sick kids, especially at the risk of mine getting sick. When I did stay at home, I would have helped out any friend look after kids who had had a broken hip/other injury/hospitalized kid/sick parents/some other life upheaval. I would not have been as quick to look after a sick child.

    I do have to agree about SAHP getting sick days. Last month I took a sick day for me and the kids went to daycare. It was fantastic to not be looking after them, being able to throw up in peace and to be able to sleep. Even when I was hospitalized when my water broke early, it is probably better that I was because I would not have taken it that easy at home.
    DD1 July 2008 (41w3d)
    November 2010 (13 weeks)
    DD2 August 2011 (33w5d)

  8. #78
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,682

    Default

    There is no one here that would watch my children if they were sick regardless of what I was willing to pay them. If I was so sick that I could not take care of my kids and they were sick as well DH would have to take off work. I am sure my parents and other family would watch the girls sick, but they are 750 miles away. If we were a duel income family and our kids were sick, one of us would have to take off work. There would be no choice. One of my best friends is in a duel income family. I babysit her kids often, but I would not babysit them sick because of my own children. I do think it would be vary rare to find someone that would be willing to babysit sick children.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #79
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,567

    Default

    Coincidentally, my son has been sick for most of this week! I worked from home Monday, he went to school on Tuesday. A houseguest of ours stayed with him yesterday, and I am home again with him today.

    Fortunately he is 9 so I can actually do my job and keep an eye on him, but if my 5-year-old got sick I would not be able to work at all and look after her.

    Anyway, just funny timing with this one.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  10. #80
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,477

    Default

    I really learned to appreciate my childcare situation a lot more in the last couple months. My mom watches my kids for the 4 hours a day I work. she had to have some knee surgery in Jan, out for 6 weeks. I have awesome help, my friends all totally stepped up to help, I couldnt find a daycare that had space. I learned very quickly that having 4 kids I would probably not be able to work. Dh and I missed a week of work each during that time. The stomach bug rolled through and it was a full 2 weeks until all of us were well. I couldnt ask somebody else to sit for me and take the chance that they would bring that home to their house. My mom is totally willing to deal with my kids when they are sick. Most days now when I drop off the boy I would like to kiss her face for making it easy for me to work
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions