That says a lot about how desensitized you must be about how women are objectified. Hopefully this can open your eyes to it, especially as you probably care about such things as you have granddaughters coming up in this world. Comparing a woman to a piece of meat is not okay.
We got the VMAs the day after the US, so after hearing about the performance I had to watch it. I've got to say, I expected worse! Apart from bending over and shaking her butt, I didn't mind it. She's always said she's from the South where it's warm and 'normal' to wear daisy dukes and cropped tops.
Me - Kristi, 30
DD - Leia, July 5 2008
I luurrrrrve to lurk!
Granted I don't watch the VMAs but I don't think this was anything too out there with past performances or videos that MTV plays.
A few random thoughts about this
1. I did see part of the performance and I must be old because I don't understand the whole teddy bear thing.
2. Both outfits weren't good choices. Normal people I expect to make bad fashion choice but I know a lot of thought went into what she wore.
3. Not sure about the racism thing. Would it have been ok if the dancer involved was white? Would she be in trouble for having only white dancers? Without knowing more, I'd have to say no to the racism.
4. Why are they only calling her out? There was a guy onstage who was 10 years older and presumably wiser. There are rehearsals for this kind of thing and I don't think it was a shock to involved.
5. She got publicity for being shocking, not for a DUI or lighting her dog on fire. The only way this publicity would hurt her is if she was 16 still under a Disney contract. She is 20 and struggling to make herself different from Hannah Montana. I just hope she becomes who she wants.
6. Madonna courted controversy and owned and manipulated it to suit her purpose. It can be done successfully in entertainment.
7. It makes me sad music seems to be all about the spectacle and not about the music.
DD1 July 2008 (41w3d)
November 2010 (13 weeks)
DD2 August 2011 (33w5d)
Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013
I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson
I didn't really get the chicken butt thing either way, to be honest.
Anyway I thought you guys would like this, if you're fans of Breaking Bad.
Laurie I had never heard of breaking bad and my husband just downloaded the first season, we watched it this past week ~ totally hooked! Can't wait to download the rest of the seasons and watch them.
My husband loves Breaking Bad, I have only seen it peripherally while he's watching. But I know a ton of people who watch it.
In terms of Miley, I bet MTV is thrilled with her. This is the kind of PR they love. And they haven't been about music for years, their logo is still MTV but they took out the MUSIC TELEVISION at the bottom a few years back, acknowledging the direction they've been going in.
It's funny, I'm in a Facebook group of people who worked there in the 80s and 90s. (I was there for most of the 90s.) The people from the 80s have the most fantastic stories of encounters with musicians and other adventures, it's incredible. Now it's just a different place....it's all reality stars and whatnot. I was watching the show Awkward for a bit but it lost its charm.
But this kind of publicity is why they do the VMAs!!! It's not even about who wins....they barely even talk about that. It's all about the show.