Minimum wage - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 163
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Minimum wage

  1. #71
    Posting Addict SID081108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,237

    Default

    Now I'm calling you names. You are a piece of work, Melissa. I hope you are more pleasant to the people you encounter in real life than you are to some of the people you interact with on this board.
    CARRIE and DH 7/14/07
    SOPHIA 8/11/08
    LAYLA 3/24/11


  2. #72
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Yes, that part of things will depend on profession and the area that you live. Profession and the area that you live are things that can be changed however. We are for sure not rich, but one DH's income of lower middle wage, we have a 4 bedroom house, take vacations, and go out to eat. I am not saying one way of life is better than the other. Everyone needs to do what is best for themselves and their family. If it is your heart's desire to be a SAHM, I pray that someday it will come true.

    Didn't you say your DH has two jobs? So, really, aren't you a two income family?

  3. #73
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SID081108 View Post
    Now I'm calling you names. You are a piece of work, Melissa. I hope you are more pleasant to the people you encounter in real life than you are to some of the people you interact with on this board.

    You called me defensive. And now you continue to insult me. Are you done yet? Can you get back to the debate? If you can't why don't you put yourself in time out and take a break so that the rest of us can continue the debate.

  4. #74
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    this is what we're trying to say. It does depend on profession but professions should be paying a living wage for the area that you live in. Minimum wage is not even CLOSE to being able to make it hear so what happens? All unskilled workers leave or do we try to pay them appropriately for where they live and work?
    Having a minimum wage that is a living wage is not the answer. If your living wage were to equal (guessing here) $80,000 a year, are you really suggesting that a company pay that to a teenager with no experience or education? There are a VERY few companies that might be able to afford to pay their employees that way, but a very few and they would not be able to do it for very long.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #75
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Didn't you say your DH has two jobs? So, really, aren't you a two income family?
    DH works about 10 hours a week at a part time job, yes. That does not affect whether or not I could stay home. We would be in the same financial bracket one way or the other.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #76
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    DH works about 10 hours a week at a part time job, yes. That does not affect whether or not I could stay home. We would be in the same financial bracket one way or the other.

    Right, but you have two incomes (unless he is working for free). That is still time away from the family/the children, regardless of which spouse is bringing in that income. It sortov stands against your argument that anyone can easily live on one income when you yourself live on two. At least, to me.

  7. #77
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Right, but you have two incomes (unless he is working for free). That is still time away from the family/the children, regardless of which spouse is bringing in that income. It sortov stands against your argument that anyone can easily live on one income when you yourself live on two. At least, to me.
    I did not say that anyone can easily live on one income. I said that you would not shrivel up and die on one income. That you could survive on one income. That if life forced you into the situation that you had to be on one income, that life would go on. If you go back and look, I specifically said it is not easy.

    ~Bonita~

  8. #78
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I did not say that anyone can easily live on one income. I said that you would not shrivel up and die on one income. That you could survive on one income. That if life forced you into the situation that you had to be on one income, that life would go on. If you go back and look, I specifically said it is not easy.


    Do you know many parents whose goals for their family are as base as simply not shrivelling up and dying? As stated, most people I know want a lot more for their families. Survival is not the hugest rung on their life goal latter. And its hard to argue that in many places that does take two incomes, or with many people who do not earn what the top 1% earns etc.....That is hard to argue against. I would think that if having two incomes did not help your family you would only have one. So who are you to tell other families that they should be living on one.

    And I do not believe that the minimum wage is meant to be a vehicle to provide for home ownership etc etc. Its called MINIMUM wage for a reason.

  9. #79
    Posting Addict boilermaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Rocky Mtns.
    Posts
    19,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Having a minimum wage that is a living wage is not the answer. If your living wage were to equal (guessing here) $80,000 a year, are you really suggesting that a company pay that to a teenager with no experience or education? There are a VERY few companies that might be able to afford to pay their employees that way, but a very few and they would not be able to do it for very long.
    $80K/year is your suggested "living wage"? I was thinking something much much less......but more than $20K/year.

    For me these are separate issues entirely.

    I would never argue that people can't opt to have a SAHP, since that is the way we work it in my family. I WOHM full time and my dh is a SAHD. We live quite comfortably, but I also don't make minimum wage and don't live in the most expensive areas of the country. Different issues IMO, not sure how they got tangled in this debate.

    I think what Alissa was referring to is that bc of the wage disparity in our country, more people cannot choose that lifestyle. I think of my grandparents. They both had an 8th grade education and worked in a factory and a grocery store to support their family. They had 5 kids, owned a 4 bedroom home, and were a solid blue collar family. Today that is more difficult to achieve bc we are paying the top 1% so much and everyone else much less. If things were more equal, perhaps more would enjoy a better quality of life. Is that what you meant, Alissa?
    Audra
    DH Trey
    DD 8.03, DD 6.05, DS 3.07, DD 5.09, and DS arrived 6.17.12
    www.mamaginger.com

  10. #80
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Right, but you have two incomes (unless he is working for free). That is still time away from the family/the children, regardless of which spouse is bringing in that income. It sortov stands against your argument that anyone can easily live on one income when you yourself live on two. At least, to me.
    I did not say that anyone can easily live on one income. I said that you would not shrivel up and die on one income. That you could survive on one income. That if life forced you into the situation that you had to be on one income, that life would go on. If you go back and look, I specifically said it is not easy.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions