Is Mix It Up At Lunch Day Pro-Gay? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Is Mix It Up At Lunch Day Pro-Gay?

  1. #21
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I feel like "whether or not they have time" is kind of side stepping the actual debate, which is really about whether Mix It Up Day is a positive thing or a negative thing. I assume that if schools want to do this, either they believe they have enough time, or they will make enough time, given that it is one day a year. It's kind of beside the point, IMO.
    This is what I think too.

    I was a little out of place in school and struggled at lunch, recess, and other similar times. I felt so awkward. I used to wish we could just get on with strictly structured time. I was at a very different maturity and academic level so it was just so very hard. I wish a program to depromote cliques and to help all kids really get along better in school existed then. We need to work on helping our children develop in wholesome ways so badly. I watched the video on cnn from the canadian girl the other day and I thought I would just die inside. I just wanted to yell at her whole community that why didnt this girl have a single friend?
    Aisha

  2. #22
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    You can not force someone to be someone else's friend. I would not have enjoyed having to sit at a table full of people that I know did not like me.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #23
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    You can not force someone to be someone else's friend. I would not have enjoyed having to sit at a table full of people that I know did not like me.
    This is true. But helping all children feel more at ease can be facilitated. Sometimes, it isnt just the left out kind of kid that this would help. I also believe getting through these lessons and growing stronger are important, but there are lots of kids who arent making it through.
    Aisha

  4. #24
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    I don't think this is forcing anyone to be friends. It's just lunch. I agree that in high school it would have been hard for me to walk up to a table full of people I didn't know or didn't like and sit with them....but that's the point of this. No one is sitting with their normal table ful of friends - everyone is sitting with people they didn't know or like before. And the fact that everyone is on equal ground (instead of me against a table full of people who are all friends) makes it a little easier, IMO. It's probably not enough on it' own to form lasting friendships, but maybe it's enough to just get the kids to see that they are all just kids, and all real people, and it's not the end of the world to talk to people outside of your own little clique. That's a good and important message, IMO.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  5. #25
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I don't think this is forcing anyone to be friends. It's just lunch. I agree that in high school it would have been hard for me to walk up to a table full of people I didn't know or didn't like and sit with them....but that's the point of this. No one is sitting with their normal table ful of friends - everyone is sitting with people they didn't know or like before. And the fact that everyone is on equal ground (instead of me against a table full of people who are all friends) makes it a little easier, IMO. It's probably not enough on it' own to form lasting friendships, but maybe it's enough to just get the kids to see that they are all just kids, and all real people, and it's not the end of the world to talk to people outside of your own little clique. That's a good and important message, IMO.
    Exactly. My son is in 2nd and I can not see something like this bothering him, but he is not a cliqish kid. The kids in his class eat together in their class. The whole school does it this way. Maybe that helps form friendships an build confidence. These kids will be in each other's class til the graduate or move on to another school.
    Aisha

  6. #26
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    Exactly. My son is in 2nd and I can not see something like this bothering him, but he is not a cliqish kid. The kids in his class eat together in their class. The whole school does it this way. Maybe that helps form friendships an build confidence. These kids will be in each other's class til the graduate or move on to another school.
    Our school is the same (but larger so the classes will change over time). Most classes the kids have to eat at their own desks so they dont get to choose who to sit with anyways. I would think if a teacher thought kids were socializing too much or getting too cliqueish, the kids would be moved around. Also, as the class changes somewhat each year, it gives the kids a chance to make new friends each change.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  7. #27
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Double post!
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  8. #28
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    You can not force someone to be someone else's friend. I would not have enjoyed having to sit at a table full of people that I know did not like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    This is true. But helping all children feel more at ease can be facilitated. Sometimes, it isnt just the left out kind of kid that this would help. I also believe getting through these lessons and growing stronger are important, but there are lots of kids who arent making it through.
    ITA with myyams. And maybe my rose-colored glasses are getting foggy, but I really don't believe that most kids choose to DISlike other kids, that's antithetical to childhood itself IMHO. The problem isn't so much that the kids dislike one another, it's that they haven't gotten a chance to know one another, to see how similar they are, to find connections. And this is what Mix It Up Day is all about, getting kids together who otherwise wouldn't get together, and give them the chance to open a dialogue. The friendship can come later. Or not.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions