"mommy" business cards

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
CamelNoodle's picture
Joined: 07/28/04
Posts: 908
"mommy" business cards

I saw this mentioned in the "Save the Date" discussion.

"Mommy" business cards -- essentially a business card that lists the family's contact info, including children's names.

Potter75 showed two examples (I didn't just want to steal your links):

The "Lets have a play date" kind

http://www.tinyprints.com/product/65...play_date.html

And the actual business card style card listing someone as "someones Mom"

http://www.tinyprints.com/product/69...sh_parent.html

Useful or over the top?

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

I try hard not to make generalized statments. But if you hand me one, I will laugh in your face and keep my children far far away. I'm sorry if I am offending any one who has a mommy busniess card....giggle....but it's just how I feel. Only thing worse is the "room mom" business card I found.

Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

oh wow.

I'll be honest, if a mom were to hand me one of those at the park I'd have a giant chuckle over it at home with my sisters. I live in a pretty rural area, so our schedules aren't quite as full as I expect a city mom's schedule to be, so maybe there is a place for these?

For some reason my mind is getting red flags over this idea, as well. If my child were to want some to give to friends, maybe hand a few out. I don't think I'd want their names and ages and all of our home info just circulating the playground. I'd hate for it to get into the wrong hands. Any mom/child I'll be having a playdate with I would want to know personally anyway.

Strange_Cat's picture
Joined: 02/08/02
Posts: 41

Totally ridiculous! If somebody handed me a card like that I'd know to steer clear!

momW's picture
Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 5634

I'm trying really hard to visualize how these things are really that useful, but I just can't. Maybe it's just my lifestyle but I just don't meet that many new people on a regular basis that I need their business card. Don't people normally just put a new contacts information into their cell phone anyway?

ETA: I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it here too..... I'd love the opportunity to get one of these from someone just to see what my knee jerk reaction really is!

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

I get the theory behind it....you meet people, you give people contact information...this is an easy way to do that.

Its a waste though and over the top. Pen and paper work great....and with cell phones these days, its much easier to give the information and let the person put in their cell phone....as oppose to lugging around a fancy piece of paper that you could easily lose.

momW's picture
Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 5634

"KimPossible" wrote:

I get the theory behind it....you meet people, you give people contact information...this is an easy way to do that.

Its a waste though and over the top. Pen and paper work great....and with cell phones these days, its much easier to give the information and let the person put in their cell phone....as oppose to lugging around a fancy piece of paper that you could easily lose.

See, that's what I'm thinking too. I don't even take the little cards with appt info from the dr's office, cause two seconds in my purse and that thing would be MIA. I just put everything in my cell right away.

Joined: 05/13/02
Posts: 414

I would be a little shocked if I actually met someone and they handed me one of those. I can see how they'd be useful for contact info, but like others said I'd rather just put it in my phone.

My parents (who are retired) have business cards with their contact info, and I always kinda feel weirded out when they hand them out to people. But that's their generation.

RebeccaA'07's picture
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

People actually use these? Really? I think it's funny. I wouldn't use them, I have a cell phone or pen/paper to store information. I don't need someone's business card to schedule a play date.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

It made me laugh the two times I got them, but not in the persons face. I waited till I was home talking to my husband Smile

I think that they are more common from the "successful career person turned SAHM" who is used to having business cards or the like......something to define themselves, in other words, and usually prowling the playground for new friends. The "xyz's Mommy" descriptor would personally insult me (i'm so many more things other than just xyz's Mommy) but I guess on some level I do see why some people like them. They aren't for me.

Joined: 05/23/05
Posts: 174

It's ridiculous. It's another "SAHM is an occupation", IMO.

ETA: I don't want this to turn into SAHM vs. WOHM. I adore SAHMs and I used to be one. Sometimes, though, I can't understand the need to prove to the world that being a SAHM is an actual career. But I guess that's just a personality thing.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Potter75" wrote:

It made me laugh the two times I got them, but not in the persons face. I waited till I was home talking to my husband Smile

I think that they are more common from the "successful career person turned SAHM" who is used to having business cards or the like......something to define themselves, in other words, and usually prowling the playground for new friends. The "xyz's Mommy" descriptor would personally insult me (i'm so many more things other than just xyz's Mommy) but I guess on some level I do see why some people like them. They aren't for me.

I think you are being way nicer then I would be, and a lot more tolerant. I just think it is pretencious. Shoot, I use to be a professional, too. I have a doctorate for heaven sakes, but I would never introduce myself as Dr. Lana on the playground or anywhere for that matter if it's not a professional setting. Honestly, going out on a limb, I think women who have these probably feel inadequate being "just a SAHM" and feel like they have to gussy it up to make them seem more important. I know too many mom's who try to make being a mom a business. They want to show they are the best mom out there and prove how dedicated and passionate they are. This to me is just an extension of that. The funny thing is they usually have the most f'ed up children.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"sweet_nth" wrote:

It's ridiculous. It's another "SAHM is an occupation", IMO.

ETA: I don't want this to turn into SAHM vs. WOHM. I adore SAHMs and I used to be one. Sometimes, though, I can't understand the need to prove to the world that being a SAHM is an actual career. But I guess that's just a personality thing.

Yeah, those ridiculous stay at homers always trying to act like they actually DO THINGS all day. Jerks.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"sweet_nth" wrote:

It's ridiculous. It's another "SAHM is an occupation", IMO.

ETA: I don't want this to turn into SAHM vs. WOHM. I adore SAHMs and I used to be one. Sometimes, though, I can't understand the need to prove to the world that being a SAHM is an actual career. But I guess that's just a personality thing.

Because you get very little recognition for being a SAHM, so I totally get it. But this to me is going about it the wrong way.

Joined: 05/23/05
Posts: 174

"Potter75" wrote:

Yeah, those ridiculous stay at homers always trying to act like they actually DO THINGS all day. Jerks.

Seriously, why do you have to twist everything? I specifically said that this is not what I mean, yet you had to go there. So sad!

Joined: 05/23/05
Posts: 174

"culturedmom" wrote:

Because you get very little recognition for being a SAHM, so I totally get it. But this to me is going about it the wrong way.

Yes, exactly my point.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"culturedmom" wrote:

I think you are being way nicer then I would be, and a lot more tolerant. I just think it is pretencious. Shoot, I use to be a professional, too. I have a doctorate for heaven sakes, but I would never introduce myself as Dr. Lana on the playground or anywhere for that matter if it's not a professional setting. Honestly, going out on a limb, I think women who have these probably feel inadequate being "just a SAHM" and feel like they have to gussy it up to make them seem more important. I know too many mom's who try to make being a mom a business. They want to show they are the best mom out there and prove how dedicated and passionate they are. This to me is just an extension of that. The funny thing is they usually have the most f'ed up children.

I'm sure, I mean, it is totally some thing that only slightly pretentious people do, "normal" people probably would not see spending the money on such a thing as worthwhile. Certain people choose to represent themselves in ways that I think are weird, and I think that it is silly, but it doesn't conjure hate in me or anything

I have friends who are medical Dr's who still use their title, that doesn't bother me, personally.

ETA: I agree that wealth and pretentiousness and winner Mom's can certainly make some kids have a tougher road to hoe. I would not agree with a blanket statement that those kids are the worlds most f'd up. I think that poverty and drug abuse and all sorts of things can be harder obstacles to overcome than a driven one upper set of rich parents with mommy business cards.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"sweet_nth" wrote:

Seriously, why do you have to twist everything? I specifically said that this is not what I mean, yet you had to go there. So sad!

Okay. I specifically state that I am not twisting anything. And save the "sad" crap, will you?

When people ask a SAHM "what do you do", what do YOU think that they ought to say? You want them to say "nothing"?

I say "I'm home with the kids these days", do you find that "ridiculous"?

Joined: 05/23/05
Posts: 174

"Potter75" wrote:

Okay. I specifically state that I am not twisting anything. And save the "sad" crap, will you?

When people ask a SAHM "what do you do", what do YOU think that they ought to say? You want them to say "nothing"?

I say "I'm home with the kids these days", do you find that "ridiculous"?

Honestly, everything you say is sounding ridiculous to me, so you shouldn't be asking me what I think! Wink

Have a great day! ohh and relax, you obviously need it!

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"sweet_nth" wrote:

Honestly, everything you say is sounding ridiculous to me, so you shouldn't be asking me what I think! Wink

Have a great day! ohh and relax, you obviously need it!

That isn't very kind of you. But thanks. I'm headed to the golf course.

I always love when the self proclaimed religious whip out their true colors.

b525's picture
Joined: 06/06/07
Posts: 298

"Potter75" wrote:

I always love when the self proclaimed religious whip out their true colors.

Wait. What does her response have to do with being religious?

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Potter75" wrote:

I'm sure, I mean, it is totally some thing that only slightly pretentious people do, "normal" people probably would not see spending the money on such a thing as worthwhile. Certain people choose to represent themselves in ways that I think are weird, and I think that it is silly, but it doesn't conjure hate in me or anything

I have friends who are medical Dr's who still use their title, that doesn't bother me, personally.

ETA: I agree that wealth and pretentiousness and winner Mom's can certainly make some kids have a tougher road to hoe. I would not agree with a blanket statement that those kids are the worlds most f'd up. I think that poverty and drug abuse and all sorts of things can be harder obstacles to overcome than a driven one upper set of rich parents with mommy business cards.

Sorry, I forget sometimes when we are chattin' on this board that it's not just chit chattin' and y'all are reading this like a debate. I was being my typical sarcastic humor dramatic self. Obviously I don't think they are the most fudged up children in the world, Melis. Nor do I HATE anyone. I thought my sarcasm was much more obvious then obviuolsy it was. (yay, I get 5pts for using obvious 3 times in one post, whoot).

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

ROFL OMG, I had no idea these were so hated! DH made up some of those, but they're Tiven's, not his. He printed them up with a really cute little picture that Tiven drew. They have Tiven's first name and his email address on them but that's it. He found that most moms at the playground aren't interested in exchanging phone numbers with a strange man, even one with an adorable daughter in tow, but they'll email later if Tiven gives their kid one of her cards. It was a great idea for him & it really helped him help Tiven make neighborhood friends.

Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

"Spacers" wrote:

ROFL OMG, I had no idea these were so hated! DH made up some of those, but they're Tiven's, not his. He printed them up with a really cute little picture that Tiven drew. They have Tiven's first name and his email address on them but that's it. He found that most moms at the playground aren't interested in exchanging phone numbers with a strange man, even one with an adorable daughter in tow, but they'll email later if Tiven gives their kid one of her cards. It was a great idea for him & it really helped him help Tiven make neighborhood friends.

Really? That`s too bad. I have no problems with the SAHD`s we have in this neighborhood. In fact, I sometimes find them easier to talk to cause they don`t huddle together like the mom`s do.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"Spacers" wrote:

ROFL OMG, I had no idea these were so hated! DH made up some of those, but they're Tiven's, not his. He printed them up with a really cute little picture that Tiven drew. They have Tiven's first name and his email address on them but that's it. He found that most moms at the playground aren't interested in exchanging phone numbers with a strange man, even one with an adorable daughter in tow, but they'll email later if Tiven gives their kid one of her cards. It was a great idea for him & it really helped him help Tiven make neighborhood friends.

Thats a unique situation...and i find it very believable that he would run into this problem. In this case....his cards solve a problem.

But typically, there is no problem to be solved.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I don't think it's all that safe - having your kids' names and contact info on a 'business' card. I don't even like it when my kids get called by first and last name at the dentist or doctor's office. Overly paranoid, I know.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

LOL, I never knew these cards actually existed... Corny if you ask me! There was one time when I was transferring Jace to another daycare center and he and another little boy were great friends. I wrote a little note stating that we would love to have a playdate because they both adore each other. I left my email. It worked out very nicely and Owen and Jace were best friends until they had to move to Texas Sad

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"culturedmom" wrote:

Sorry, I forget sometimes when we are chattin' on this board that it's not just chit chattin' and y'all are reading this like a debate. I was being my typical sarcastic humor dramatic self. Obviously I don't think they are the most fudged up children in the world, Melis. Nor do I HATE anyone. I thought my sarcasm was much more obvious then obviuolsy it was. (yay, I get 5pts for using obvious 3 times in one post, whoot).

I hear you. I agree that they are weird. I used the term "gag" when I originally posted the links Smile I am not friends with anyone who I know uses them. I just get why some people do. I think that it is weird, but I think that some people are weird (a disproportionate percentage around here, at times) so knowing their unique brand of weirdness, I *sortov* get why they do what they do. It is probably just because of seeing *these people* in every day life that I can't conjure up the total disbelief at the existence of such things. Like the Canadiens think that save the date cards are so freakily weird but they are normal here. The "Mommy Cards" are far from normal here, but they do exist in my area, so I guess I have a softer opinion of those who might use them, if that makes sense.

daniellevmt's picture
Joined: 07/25/06
Posts: 213

"Spacers" wrote:

ROFL OMG, I had no idea these were so hated! DH made up some of those, but they're Tiven's, not his. He printed them up with a really cute little picture that Tiven drew. They have Tiven's first name and his email address on them but that's it. He found that most moms at the playground aren't interested in exchanging phone numbers with a strange man, even one with an adorable daughter in tow, but they'll email later if Tiven gives their kid one of her cards. It was a great idea for him & it really helped him help Tiven make neighborhood friends.

I think that is SUPER cute!!

To the "mommy cards"...well, it's not something I would ever do. I balk at handing out business cards PERIOD. For some reason I just feel so...pretentious??...doing it. I only do it if I'm asked for one. When I stayed at home for my son's first 6 months, I certainly didn't want to pretend with "mommy calling cards". I was home to do an important job, absolutely, but it wasn't business. I mean, it's cool if others do it, I just don't see the point. To me, the point of a business card is for business contact purposes. I don't consider me staying at home raising my child as "business". But, different strokes and all that.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I just think that most people take the "business" cards to be business related. But in fact, what they are are easily transfered information packets. If you don't have a business that you represent, you are essentially on your own.........and if you want to quickly and neatly move a relationship along or to hope for follow up I do see why people do them. I don't have a "smart phone", and honestly I don't put the information of every person that I interact with at a playground in my phone. Too much phone clutter! As it is I suck with names ~ If I had the name of every Mom I met at the playground in my phone I would be insane when I went to dial someone. I'd have to write in people like "Amy met at Smith Park with 4 yo kid" or "Blond sarah from Cooper park with twins".....or more likely "another woman whose name I forget who I will totally never call. ever".

I love to talk to people at parks.......I'm also not looking to meet BFF's. I don't want to enter the information of every person that approaches me into my phone. The card went in my pocket, I knew that we didn't have much in common, the card went in the trash, and life went on.

I also don't buy the "safety" argument from people who post pictures of their children, pictures of their home, talk about where they live, post their children's birth dates etc on line. (ETA I mean on public message boards, when I say online).

Again, I would NEVER have one of these. I also see why other people do. Mostly the ones I have tried to describe.

And, FTR because I thought of this while golfing (which did not help my game)......one of the play date cards I got was from a working mother. Her children are in daycare or have a full time nanny and she is trying to reach out to the mothers of kids in her kids dance class (that her nanny takes the child to). I think that is why I found the SAHM slam so ironic. Assumption and all that.

Also ETA: I worked in an industry where handing out cards was super normal and beneficial, not pretentious, so that may color my view.

boilermaker's picture
Joined: 08/21/02
Posts: 1984

I've seen those cards a few times 'round these parts.....we've been given a few. I've never actually called someone who gave me one, but I do "get it". We meet people at parks all of the time and a few times we've "clicked" with other families....but then we just exchange info and go from there, no cards needed.

Oh and my Trey totally has the same problem as Tiven's dad. He jokes that people must think he stole these 4 red headed kids and took them to the park? So odd.....but yeah, the SAHM's aren't into hanging with him or speaking to him (at the park or at preschool)--'tis okay with him as he's a not so social guy, but it irks me. Though I think the SAHM's at preschool are the meanest to me....fetching my littles in my work suit. Oh well.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

I have never seen these before and I will definitely never hand them out. It makes my stomach hurt to think of floating around all that information about my kids, especially the one with the pictures. I do not make playdates with people I just met at the park, unless it is to meet back at the park at a set time. In fact, alot of the people I do know well dont even know my last name (I often use my maiden name as it is still my e-mail and facebook.)

I live in a med. size town but attend alot of preschool activities, so usually if I meet someone new we know at least one of the same people, so I always check with our mutual acquaintance and have my husband ask around his work (he is RCMP) before I would go to someone elses house for a playdate, and I have friends I have known a long time who have never been to our house, mostly because I just avoid having plays here.

I admit that I probably am more paranoid because of my husbands job and that we know families who have had to move away because the children were threatened. Really scary when a drug dealer approaches your child on the school playground with a message for dad:(

I just cant imagine putting my kids in this position of going to a strangers house or having people they dont know in their space, let alone throwing all their info out there to float around town. Cause even if I know the person is 'safe' you never really know who they are friends with, or who will see that card on their fridge and think that little girl is really cute and suddenly they know her full name and where she lives and .......ugg!

lil96's picture
Joined: 03/27/06
Posts: 573

I don't think it is the crazy, maybe that is because I have used them before? I was in a post partem exercise class. I wanted to be able to meet other moms with kids the same age. I just put my name and email on there. Most of them I still have contact with. I thought that was easier than bringing a little piece of paper to scribble (and yes I have horrible handwriting) my name and number on. I wouldn't hand it out to random moms at the park though.

I thought about doing it again when we went to KG orientation, so I could meet other parents/children who will be involved in my kids life for presumably the next 13-15 years.

Sure handing them out to complete strangers I may never see again is weird (random person in the park), but if I truly think I have a connection with someone, why not? I wouldn't give out my kids pictures and birthdays and any really personal info. I just think that is easier than carring around paper for the chance that I might meet someone interesting and have to write my info/their info down. This way I know they can read it. If they throw it away, that is fine, I won't be offended because we must not have been meant to be friends. If they laugh at my face and say something mean about me carrying around a card with my name on it because I am a worthless SAHM, it might hurt, but at least I know their priorities and they don't want to be my friend.

I prefer not to judge people for wanting friends or contacts however people are refered to these days.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

I have never heard of this! Feels like overkill to me but maybe there's a place for it? I don't know. Just not my thing. I have business cards for work and I almost never give them to anybody.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"lil96" wrote:

I don't think it is the crazy, maybe that is because I have used them before? I was in a post partem exercise class. I wanted to be able to meet other moms with kids the same age. I just put my name and email on there. Most of them I still have contact with. I thought that was easier than bringing a little piece of paper to scribble (and yes I have horrible handwriting) my name and number on. I wouldn't hand it out to random moms at the park though.

I thought about doing it again when we went to KG orientation, so I could meet other parents/children who will be involved in my kids life for presumably the next 13-15 years.

Sure handing them out to complete strangers I may never see again is weird (random person in the park), but if I truly think I have a connection with someone, why not? I wouldn't give out my kids pictures and birthdays and any really personal info. I just think that is easier than carring around paper for the chance that I might meet someone interesting and have to write my info/their info down. This way I know they can read it. If they throw it away, that is fine, I won't be offended because we must not have been meant to be friends. If they laugh at my face and say something mean about me carrying around a card with my name on it because I am a worthless SAHM, it might hurt, but at least I know their priorities and they don't want to be my friend.

I prefer not to judge people for wanting friends or contacts however people are refered to these days.

Honestly, to me, it comes across more like you think being a SAHM is worthless and you need some sort of business card to validate it (not saying you do, I'm talking about that is how I would feel not knowing your intentions and you just handingme a card). Not that I think it's worthless, because I happen to be a SAHM. I know I am being judgmental and generalizing, but to me it comes across as super pretencious and my first thought would be you probably don't want to be friends with someone like me because I don't have a fancy business card.

Now that I know your reason, obvioulsy I don't think that anymore because you have explained it. But I doubt that you explain your reasoning when handing it out.

I guess it just goes to show, one person's intentions can be misunderstood by someone else. Hey if you want to carry around business cards for being a SAHM, you shouldn't care what I or anyone else think. More power to you.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

To all: Would you feel different getting a "Mommy card" from a working mother? Say the nanny handed you one at a dance class.....from a Mom who works full time and wants to meet other mothers/foster her children's social relationships because they are home with a Nanny all day?

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"Potter75" wrote:

To all: Would you feel different getting a "Mommy card" from a working mother? Say the nanny handed you one at a dance class.....from a Mom who works full time and wants to meet other mothers/foster her children's social relationships because they are home with a Nanny all day?

Naaah, i would think its just as silly.

I get the intentions....but i think we have the means to do this easily without the business cards.

Now if she happened to have business cards for her actual work place....that also included her cell phone or an email to be reached, using it as a dual purpose to handout to any person for contact that they might need to(not just other mommies for playdates) would not get the same reaction from me. I mean if you already have a card with your contact information on it...no sense in rewriting it free hand.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"KimPossible" wrote:

Naaah, i would think its just as silly.

I get the intentions....but i think we have the means to do this easily without the business cards.

Now if she happened to have business cards for her actual work place....that also included her cell phone or an email to be reached, using it as a dual purpose to handout to any person for contact that they might need to(not just other mommies for playdates) would not get the same reaction from me. I mean if you already have a card with your contact information on it...no sense in rewriting it free hand.

But I've never met her, she is at work. I literally have no idea what her name is. I do know Gracie (her kid). So when I get a play date card from her as "Gracies Mom" I actually know who is giving it to me.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

Kids have picture cards here, I've gotten quite a few. I don't think it's odd, at all, although not something I've really considered doing myself. Usually they get them free in their 3, 5, and 7 year old photo packages.

I think one reason why they have caught on here is that everyone (except my kid) has the same hair and eye colour and they all wear uniforms from age 3 when they start school. It can be a challenge sometimes to tell the kids apart when they are new.

I've had a hard time with the mothers this school year (from April) since I am the only one who works, maybe I should get some cards and see if then they'll take my calls?

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

"KimPossible" wrote:

Now if she happened to have business cards for her actual work place....that also included her cell phone or an email to be reached, using it as a dual purpose to handout to any person for contact that they might need to(not just other mommies for playdates) would not get the same reaction from me.

There is no way in hell I would give out my company business card to a mommy I met at the playground.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"KimPossible" wrote:

Naaah, i would think its just as silly.

I get the intentions....but i think we have the means to do this easily without the business cards.

Now if she happened to have business cards for her actual work place....that also included her cell phone or an email to be reached, using it as a dual purpose to handout to any person for contact that they might need to(not just other mommies for playdates) would not get the same reaction from me. I mean if you already have a card with your contact information on it...no sense in rewriting it free hand.

Exactly! It's just the overkill. It's not about being a mom or being SAHM, but about having business cards to promote....yourself. If a man came up to me and handed me a business card that said "Jim Smith, avid read favorite color:blue" and had his contact info I would still think he was weird. A mommy card is not different then a personal business card to promote yourself. If you take out the Mommy part and insert any other descriptor of yourself, wouldn't you find it weird?

Being a mom is notmy job. It's a part of who I am. I also love horses, like to read Stephen King, a good friend, helpful, a wonderful wife, etc. But if I put any of those on a card and handed them out people would look at me like I had issues. OMG can you imagine if I handed you a card that said "Lana P. wife to Daniel" shudder.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Potter75" wrote:

But I've never met her, she is at work. I literally have no idea what her name is. I do know Gracie (her kid). So when I get a play date card from her as "Gracies Mom" I actually know who is giving it to me.

aybe that's the thing. I am not a big playdate person. Especially not with people I have just met. If we are at playdate (BTW I find that word weird) level, then I probably know you enoguht to remember your name atleast. And the whole playdate card just seems not in my realm of reality. The way we do it is, "Mom can I go over Izzy's house" "Did you ask her mom" "Yeah." "OK" I don't know, maybe I am too ghetto to understand the concept of invitiations for your kid to come over and play. LOL

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"Potter75" wrote:

But I've never met her, she is at work. I literally have no idea what her name is. I do know Gracie (her kid). So when I get a play date card from her as "Gracies Mom" I actually know who is giving it to me.

Why can't the nanny tell you the mom's name?

I had another mother at Lillian's dance class give me the name of a friend of hers...an in home daycare provider(I'm looking for one). She gave me the phone number and said "Her name is Katie"

I wrote both down on a blank piece of paper.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"blather" wrote:

There is no way in hell I would give out my company business card to a mommy I met at the playground.

I've had people give me their business cards for personal contact information. Typically they are contractor's or independent workers who's cell phone is used for business and personal.

Doesn't make sense for everyone, depending what is actually on the card.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"culturedmom" wrote:

Exactly! It's just the overkill. It's not about being a mom or being SAHM, but about having business cards to promote....yourself. If a man came up to me and handed me a business card that said "Jim Smith, avid read favorite color:blue" and had his contact info I would still think he was weird. A mommy card is not different then a personal business card to promote yourself. If you take out the Mommy part and insert any other descriptor of yourself, wouldn't you find it weird?

Being a mom is notmy job. It's a part of who I am. I also love horses, like to read Stephen King, a good friend, helpful, a wonderful wife, etc. But if I put any of those on a card and handed them out people would look at me like I had issues. OMG can you imagine if I handed you a card that said "Lana P. wife to Daniel" shudder.

Right, but when I was a "Corporate Finance Manager" for Citi it was also only part of who I was. I don't think that anyone I knew thought I was pretentious when I handed out my card.

I also can't believe that I am somehow defending the things as I loathe them, LOL Smile

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

I think business cards for business make sense because something is gained by a professional looking card. It benefits the company to have it presented in a marketable manner.

Parents shouldn't have to 'market' themselves to eachother...which is why good old fashioned pen and paper work, or modern-aged cell phones.

That's what it is for me(just realizing this). Business card = marketing. And that's the vibe i get when i receive one.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"KimPossible" wrote:

Why can't the nanny tell you the mom's name?

I had another mother at Lillian's dance class give me the name of a friend of hers...an in home daycare provider(I'm looking for one). She gave me the phone number and said "Her name is Katie"

I wrote both down on a blank piece of paper.

And that is great! I was in my gym clothes at my gym without a purse or diaper bag or whatnot (where my child takes dance) ~ the Nanny passed them out to everyone in the class. Maybe we all could have scrounged around seeking out blank pieces of paper and some pens to write down the name of the mother of the child......or else she could facilitate it for us by having it on a card. It is the same thing, just easier.

Again, I can't believe that I seem to be defending them as I don't personally like them.......I just am able to understand why some people in some situations (A SAHD, a Mom new to SAHM-dom or new to the area fervently seeking out other Mothers/friends for her and her kid/a working Mom looking to meet the parents of her children's friends etc. ) might use them, is all.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"KimPossible" wrote:

I think business cards for business make sense because something is gained by a professional looking card. It benefits the company to have it presented in a marketable manner.

Parents shouldn't have to 'market' themselves to eachother...which is why good old fashioned pen and paper work, or modern-aged cell phones.

That's what it is for me(just realizing this). Business card = marketing. And that's the vibe i get when i receive one.

But I think that it is silly to "accept" two of three ways to pass out personal information. Why?

I also didn't use them just for promoting my job. If I met a hot guy at a bar and we hit it off I would give him my card. Nothing to do with business........everything to do with a way to contact one another.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Potter75" wrote:

Right, but when I was a "Corporate Finance Manager" for Citi it was also only part of who I was. I don't think that anyone I knew thought I was pretentious when I handed out my card.

I also can't believe that I am somehow defending the things as I loathe them, LOL Smile

But it was your job. And part of the business you worked for is based on gaining customers in some way and PR. If it were a business that didn't rely on customers, then you wouldn't need a business card. What part of being a mommy is Pr and customer relations? I see a very big difference between a job and what I do and who I am. I give business cards for what I do, not for who I am. And if who you are is also what you do, I assume the business card would be for the do part not the am part. For example, if you love knitting and also have a knitting store I assuem the card woudl not be Melissa, avid knitter" but rather a card for your business. Being a mommy, or a wife, or liking knitting is not a business.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3317

"Potter75" wrote:

And that is great! I was in my gym clothes at my gym without a purse or diaper bag or whatnot (where my child takes dance) ~ the Nanny passed them out to everyone in the class. Maybe we all could have scrounged around seeking out blank pieces of paper and some pens to write down the name of the mother of the child......or else she could facilitate it for us by having it on a card. It is the same thing, just easier.

Again, I can't believe that I seem to be defending them as I don't personally like them.......I just am able to understand why some people in some situations (A SAHD, a Mom new to SAHM-dom or new to the area fervently seeking out other Mothers/friends for her and her kid/a working Mom looking to meet the parents of her children's friends etc. ) might use them, is all.

Yeah i guess that is the disconnect for me. I just can't imagine passing out my contact information for social reasons to an entire group of people without discretion...so maybe thats why i don't really get it. Both behaviors (sending out the contact info without discretion AND doing it via business card) are in the realm of 'not my thing and i think its weird to do it'.

You are right...if you are going to be handing out your information to lots of people without using personal discretion so the frequency is high and people are unprepared to receive the information...then there is a purpose.

I concede LOL

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

"Potter75" wrote:

But I think that it is silly to "accept" two of three ways to pass out personal information. Why?

And I think it is silly to go out and pay money to create busniess cards for yourself. Maybe I am just not that popular but do you really pass out that much information to other people that warrants buying business cards?

Pages