Morning after pill - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 173
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Morning after pill

  1. #131
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    I think girls that age are NOT prepared to have sex. . .but that doesn't mean I don't want them to have access to this drug over the counter. The problem is that they are having sex anyway.
    Right, we've already stated we don't think girls this age are ready for sex. Our personal feelings aside, they're having it. And I was mortified as a 35 yo married woman having to request this pill - that does not mean that I was not ready to be having sex with my husband. It means that talking to a total stranger about my sexual life is uncomfortable to me because I have normal healthy boundaries.

    eta: this is exactly what I meant about your agenda being to shame, btw
    Last edited by Potter75; 04-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.

  2. #132
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Right, we've already stated we don't think girls this age are ready for sex. Our personal feelings aside, they're having it. And I was mortified as a 35 yo married woman having to request this pill - that does not mean that I was not ready to be having sex with my husband. It means that talking to a total stranger about my sexual life is uncomfortable to me because I have normal healthy boundaries.

    eta: this is exactly what I meant about your agenda being to shame, btw
    Really, You take away from me that I want these girls to be shamed? You are wrong. I want these girls protected and having safe sex. (or no sex until they are in their late teens or older)
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  3. #133
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    Really, You take away from me that I want these girls to be shamed? You are wrong. I want these girls protected and having safe sex. (or no sex until they are in their late teens or older)
    Yes, that is what I take away from you. And while that may be what you want for these girls, shaming them into a pregnancy does nothing to delay the age at which they become sexually active, lol! What on earth does making the MAP more difficult to get have to do with girls not being sexually active? That ships already sailed if they are getting the morning after pill. It isn't the morning BEFORE pill and the pharmacist can talk her out of her decision that you are morally against.

  4. #134
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,441

    Default

    Again, you are wrong about my "agenda' I do actually want them to get it. I just would like them to use something in the future that protects against STD's and pregnancy. Last year my nephew chose to have sex with his just turned 15 year old girlfriend. Didnt use a condom because she was on the pill and ended up with an STD. He was embarrassed when I had to take him to the doctor, and super embarrassed at the pharmacy, but I bet he is using condoms now.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  5. #135
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    But how do you know they aren't. Maybe they aren't and that is sad but seriously, without asking obtrusive personal questions there is no way of knowing for sure.

    I really would want girls to get the MAP without fear that some random pharmacist is quizzing them on their sex life.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  6. #136
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    Trouble is about the tampons, is maybe we should! Isn't that what sex ed should cover in school ?.. if so then why would a good friend of mine have his sister DIE from it! Yes she was public schooled.. she had sisters and a mom.. not sure why but maybe a quick talk from the pharmacist the first time she got them and then had the ability to wave the consult would have saved her life.....

    Since when is more information bad?
    When a pharmacist ends up doubling or tripling (or more, most likely) their fee to make up for the time they spend counselling instead of filling scripts.

    It is not in the realm of feasibility, for example, to make teens pay for toothpaste at the pharmacy counter and then be asked if they have any questions about it, because ingesting fluoride in high quantities is dangerous, and toothpaste should never be available to teens without asking for it from behind the counter. What about laxatives, bubble bath, smoking cessation aids, retinol-A cream, etc etc etc??

  7. #137
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    My 13 year old and I had a conversation about this last night. She believes that if a girl is not willing to have a conversation with an adult to laccess it, she is probably not prepared to have sex. She thinks that if the girl was embarrassed a little it might be a good thing, next time she has sex she might be more careful.

    Thought that was an interesting thought from a person in the age group that is effected by this law change
    Under your scenario, the next time she has sex might be with a fetus in between her & her partner because she was too embarassed to go talk with a male pharmacist for the MAP.

    At my local Walgreen's there is usually only one pharmacist on duty, so so much for the suggested "just ask for a woman" when there isn't one to ask for. And the pharmacist also takes an hour break for lunch so if you get there at the wrong time & you need a consult, you have to wait until he or she gets back & serves whoever was in line before you.

    The fact is that having to talk with someone is embarassing and humiliating because you & the pharmacist both know exactly why you're there getting that drug. It's because you made a mistake last night, one way or another. You screwed up and now you're here. We both know it, even if we don't say it out loud. And there is no purpose to that except to shame and disgrace the woman because there is absolutely no additional information that needs to be imparted by a human, there is no danger of taking it wrong, and the side effects are minimal. And the pharmacist is always there if a woman or girl wants more information, has a question, or can't read the instructions. I've asked for a printout for my kids' medicine because I can't read the teeny tiny type on the bottle by the nightlight when they inevitably wake up sick in the middle of the night. And it's no problem, as long as I don't show up at lunch time.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  8. #138
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    Again, you are wrong about my "agenda' I do actually want them to get it. I just would like them to use something in the future that protects against STD's and pregnancy. Last year my nephew chose to have sex with his just turned 15 year old girlfriend. Didnt use a condom because she was on the pill and ended up with an STD. He was embarrassed when I had to take him to the doctor, and super embarrassed at the pharmacy, but I bet he is using condoms now.

    WHy are you assuming that she ISN"T? I had to use it when a condom broke (as I think Stacey said she did too?) Obviously they aren't using it because they are on the IUD or the BCP. I bet condom mess ups are a leading cause of MAP users. Condoms prevent against STD's. Trust me, at $50 a pop no teen (or person like me!) is using this as their means of birth control. At least, no normal person with a normal sex life. If your nephew and his girlfriend, using condoms, have a user error one night, his girlfriend is going to need the MAP, and I don't think that the assumption should be that she is a victim of abuse, that she should be examined for bruises, that she should be pulled into a small room by a strange man and asked personal questions about her sexual experience, or that she should fear that someone might call the police on her! Ever!!!!
    Jessica80 likes this.

  9. #139
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClairesMommy View Post
    When a pharmacist ends up doubling or tripling (or more, most likely) their fee to make up for the time they spend counselling instead of filling scripts.

    It is not in the realm of feasibility, for example, to make teens pay for toothpaste at the pharmacy counter and then be asked if they have any questions about it, because ingesting fluoride in high quantities is dangerous, and toothpaste should never be available to teens without asking for it from behind the counter. What about laxatives, bubble bath, smoking cessation aids, retinol-A cream, etc etc etc??
    Or orange juice! It has alcohol in it and most states have a zero-alcohol-tolerance for teens while driving. Yes, the best thing is to not allow teens to purchase orange juice in case they drink too much of it at once and get pulled over for a broken tail light.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  10. #140
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    Or orange juice! It has alcohol in it and most states have a zero-alcohol-tolerance for teens while driving. Yes, the best thing is to not allow teens to purchase orange juice in case they drink too much of it at once and get pulled over for a broken tail light.
    It does???

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions