Morning after pill - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 173
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Morning after pill

  1. #11
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    You have to be 18 and speak to a pharmacist in order to get some cough medicines. Someone 12 or 13 years old is not old enough to understand the consequences of taking a medicine, or even for that matter, old enough to be sure they are taking the proper dose.

    In some States, it is not legal for someone under age 12 to be home alone, but it would be ok for them to go to the store and buy the morning after pill?

    It would be ok for some man to continously rape a young girl but no one finds out because there is no red flag going up that a child that young needs BC? We can deal with adults and older teenagers wanting this in another debate. This law is saying that 11, 12, 13 year old girls can purchase the morning after pill without speaking to anyone or anyone knowing? This is very outrageous to me.

    I think that you are a little (lot) uneducated on how it works Bonita, so it is hard to debate it with you You simply take the pills, its a single dose, so to "take it wrong" would be impossible. If you are smart enough to obtain it, you are smart enough to swallow it, I guarantee it.

    I don't think that anyone who is against unwanted pregnancy is FOR young girls getting raped continuously, your statement is ugly.

    While you may be a fan of unwanted pregnancy, I am not. If you do not have a close enough relationship with YOUR children that you fear that they would not talk to you were they having sexual relations at a young age, I understand your concern. I do not have that fear, and support this being available to young and sexually active teens as I know that they exist and I believe that young girls being pregnant does NOT benefit society. Further I do not believe that the cost of plan B makes it an attractive birth control option for young women (or older women).

  2. #12
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Regardless if you think this is abortion or not, I do not believe that you should be able to buy it over the counter. Especially not at 12 or 13. You can not buy birth control pills over the counter, why would you be able to buy a higher concentrated dose of bcp over the counter?
    Because it's a one-time dose with no side effects. BCP are prescription because you need to be educated about how to take them properly, so that they will work properly, and because there are some risks to taking them for long periods of time so it's good to be under a doctor's care. If a 12 or 13 year old girl believes that she might be in need of emergency birth control, then we should be making it as easy as possible for her to get it so that she doesn't end up having to deal with an unwanted pregancy. Would I prefer that she talk with a parent first? Sure, but sometimes that just won't happen. I'd rather have a girl get the morning-after pill on her own when she needs it, than not get it & end up pregnant because she's afraid of her abusive father or doesn't want to deal with her religious fanatic mother.

    And cough medicines & allergy medicines aren't behind the counter because they're dangerous if you take them wrong; it's to control their distribution to avoid them being made into other hard-core drugs like meth.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  3. #13
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I think that you are a little (lot) uneducated on how it works Bonita, so it is hard to debate it with you
    Do you only find it easy to debate with people that agree with you?

    ~Bonita~

  4. #14
    Mega Poster elleon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,200

    Default

    I'm not sure how I feel about it. Part of me likes having it as an OTC option and I used it when we had an oops shortly after having DS and certainly not ready for #2 yet.

    But then again, I go into CVS the other day and they wouldn't sell an energy drink without id of being over 18 (not sure what brand).

    I know it is safe, but is it safe if repeatedly used? Maybe if it could just be available via school nurse or planned parenthood for those underage, so at least there is some doctor supervision.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  5. #15
    Posting Addict SID081108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,237

    Default

    This (below) is directly from the Plan B website, so I don't see how anyone could say that it doesn't prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus. Since I believe that a life begins at conception (fertilization of an egg by a sperm), I don't see why it makes me "uneducated" to consider this an abortion. I would not personally call it an "abortion pill", however, since this is only one possibility. But it is a possibility, as listed by the manufacturer. I highly doubt they would list something that has been "discredited", as stated in the article and by the judge.

    With that said, I have a hard time being completely against this drug, because I think it does reduce the number of later term abortions that are done, and while I consider either case to be a loss of life, the latter is much more hard for me to swallow in terms of cruelty to the unborn child. Even many routine birth control options (IUD, for example) can cause the rejection of a fertilized egg. So I guess I see it as the lesser of two evils.

    How does Plan B One-Step? work?
    Plan B One-Step? is one pill that has a higher dose of levonorgestrel, a hormone found in many birth control pills that healthcare professionals have been prescribing for several decades. Plan B One-Step? works in a similar way to help prevent pregnancy from happening. It works mainly by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It is possible that Plan B One-Step? may also work by preventing fertilization of an egg (the uniting of the sperm with the egg) or by preventing attachment (implantation) to the uterus (womb).

    Plan B One-Step? (levonorgestrel): FAQs
    Rivergallery likes this.
    CARRIE and DH 7/14/07
    SOPHIA 8/11/08
    LAYLA 3/24/11


  6. #16
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Do you only find it easy to debate with people that agree with you?
    No. What is your point?

  7. #17
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Do you only find it easy to debate with people that agree with you?
    It *is* hard to debate with someone who has a fundamental misunderstanding of how something works. You think the morning-after pill is a medicine with consequences, that it can be taken wrong, that it being behind the counter makes it akin to cough syrup, etc. and those incorrect beliefs are informing your posts about this. It's not any of those. It's the same hormones that girl's body is making anyway, just more of it at once. Now that we're all on the same page about what the morning-after pill is and is not, what are your arguments against it being available OTC to *all* women and not just young girls? Like Melis, I had to use it once when a condom broke, and I was very happy that it was so easily available in my state.
    Potter75 likes this.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  8. #18
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SID081108 View Post
    This (below) is directly from the Plan B website, so I don't see how anyone could say that it doesn't prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus. Since I believe that a life begins at conception (fertilization of an egg by a sperm), I don't see why it makes me "uneducated" to consider this an abortion.
    I don't see where anyone argued that it doesn't prevent fertilization. But to call the lack of implantation an "abortion" is uneducated because it ignores the basic medical facts about both things. You might as well call every period you have a "miscarriage" because you might have had a fertilized egg floating around in there that didn't stick.
    Potter75 and mommytoMR.FACE like this.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  9. #19
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SID081108 View Post
    This (below) is directly from the Plan B website, so I don't see how anyone could say that it doesn't prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus. Since I believe that a life begins at conception (fertilization of an egg by a sperm), I don't see why it makes me "uneducated" to consider this an abortion. I would not personally call it an "abortion pill", however, since this is only one possibility. But it is a possibility, as listed by the manufacturer. I highly doubt they would list something that has been "discredited", as stated in the article and by the judge.

    With that said, I have a hard time being completely against this drug, because I think it does reduce the number of later term abortions that are done, and while I consider either case to be a loss of life, the latter is much more hard for me to swallow in terms of cruelty to the unborn child. Even many routine birth control options (IUD, for example) can cause the rejection of a fertilized egg. So I guess I see it as the lesser of two evils.

    How does Plan B One-Step? work?
    Plan B One-Step? is one pill that has a higher dose of levonorgestrel, a hormone found in many birth control pills that healthcare professionals have been prescribing for several decades. Plan B One-Step? works in a similar way to help prevent pregnancy from happening. It works mainly by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It is possible that Plan B One-Step? may also work by preventing fertilization of an egg (the uniting of the sperm with the egg) or by preventing attachment (implantation) to the uterus (womb).

    Plan B One-Step? (levonorgestrel): FAQs

    Oh super yawn. So now you are offended that I think that its uneducated for you to call what you call an abortion via a non abortion pill.

    Okay. Yes, It works exactly like the BCP. So yes, if you call women who use or have used the BCP monthly aborters, than yes, it is an abortion, but via a "non abortion pill". Clear as mud. THank you. Via evil. But less evil.

    THis is the exact same debate we had just recently. And its so dumb, and why I'm so glad this judge exists!

    So lets just throw around aborter, and murder, and baby eater, and get it over with

    And at the end of the day you all will have zero control over your daughters, or other girls who need it, being able to obtain this, thankfully.

  10. #20
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,479

    Default

    The alternative to making it available this way is unwanted pregnancies for 12-year-olds, you know? What's worse, them having access to a pill, or them getting pregnant?

    Is every scenario going to be perfect? No. But this seems like it might help a whole lot of people and stop a lot of girls from ruining their lives so early on.
    Spacers likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions