No Lottery Tickets for Welfare Recipients - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 206
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: No Lottery Tickets for Welfare Recipients

  1. #151
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    But we don't know that that $1 lotto ticket means a child is starving?

  2. #152
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    When I say that they get high and mighty I mean that they seem to have a really vested feeling of "THEIR TAX DOLLARS" going to help these people.
    In my experience, people who get irrationally upset about their tax dollars don't pay any (as they get it all back in a refund).
    Potter75 and mommytoMR.FACE like this.

  3. #153
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blather View Post
    In my experience, people who get irrationally upset about their tax dollars don't pay any (as they get it all back in a refund).
    Exactly- this is what I was trying to say, I'm just long winded.

  4. #154
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blather View Post
    In my experience, people who get irrationally upset about their tax dollars don't pay any (as they get it all back in a refund).
    You would be wrong. Its funny that you sit there and say not to generalize people and then you generalize another group of people.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #155
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    How can you say her experience is wrong unless you are calling her (and me) liars? I'm not saying what you witnessed is wrong or that you are a liar. Simply saying that what you witnessed is even close to a majority of the people on assistance. I agree with blather and have witnessed and experienced the same thing. I see a pattern, is all.

  6. #156
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    How can you say her experience is wrong unless you are calling her (and me) liars? I'm not saying what you witnessed is wrong or that you are a liar. Simply saying that what you witnessed is even close to a majority of the people on assistance. I agree with blather and have witnessed and experienced the same thing. I see a pattern, is all.
    Thats not what she said. She said that people that care how their tax dollars are being spent don't pay taxes. I pay taxes AND I care how they are spent.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #157
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    No, that isn't what she said. She said irrationally upset. I get super upset about how much we pay in taxes (the percentage). I get so frustrated by the waste I see firsthand in our defense budget. I get so frustrated at our education spending. I don't get irrationally upset (to, say, the point of calling entire groups of other american citizens "dumb losers") about someone spending $1 on a lotto ticket.
    freddieflounder101 likes this.

  8. #158
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I don't get irrationally upset (to, say, the point of calling entire groups of other american citizens "dumb losers") about someone spending $1 on a lotto ticket.
    I don't think that qualifies as irrationally upset either.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #159
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Right, thats probably the crux of our disagreement in this debate. Its a buck. Calling anyone those rather hideous names over a dollar is irrational to me. It places irrational value on a dollar vs a human. I have enough bucks that I just can't get that worked up over it.

  10. #160
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Right, thats probably the crux of our disagreement in this debate. Its a buck. Calling anyone those rather hideous names over a dollar is irrational to me. It places irrational value on a dollar vs a human. I have enough bucks that I just can't get that worked up over it.
    How do you know it's just $1? They can just as easily spend their whole check on lottery tickets as $1.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions