No Lottery Tickets for Welfare Recipients - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 206
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: No Lottery Tickets for Welfare Recipients

  1. #31
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    Myyams, I am assuming that you don't even work (since you said only your husband pays taxes). Your sanctimonious attitude along with you personally not even paying taxes is funny. And no, I don't think this about all SAHM's because a lot of them, like reflected on this debate, do not have the same attitude as you.
    Agreed. I don't work and I don't think that that gives anyone the right to judge ANY purchase I make. So it would be awfully awkward of me to judge how other people (many of whom DO work but still qualify for assistance) spend their money.

  2. #32
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,642

    Default

    I understand the sentiment behind it but it is totally unenforceable so is kind of a waste of time.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #33
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    We all have the right to judge. I have the right to my opinion. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean anything to me personally, just as the reverse is likely true.

    Generally I agree with the USDA on eligible purchases, with exception of the energy drinks possibly the caffeine ones like Red Bull and similarly. My views are then right in line with what regulations are.

    If I don't work today, it doesn't mean tomorrow I won't and it certainly doesn't mean that I didn't in recent times. So, I do have the right to my opinion....regardless of working or not. This is a general discussion which is not discounted based on whether or not one is employed currently or not ...earning money at present.

    Perhaps you all are supportive of people buying lotto and beer and whatnot with public assistance. Perhaps this is the reason you're all shocked there is a different view on what public assistance should be spent on. You're not necessarily disagreeing with me, but the entire regulation from the USDA.

    Perhaps this is what is wrong with this country, people feel entitled and yet we keep supporting that same feeling and we empower to feel entitled. Way to go people.

    And the last thing I am going to say about this and it's closed for me is:

    For every dollar people spend on garbage stuff, that is one less dollar being spent on real food for people who desperately need real food, other people likely turned down, perhaps children of their own household because their parents are such losers that buying a couple of Red Bulls or whatever is more important than buying a chicken. Or perhaps they cashed in the money and bought some crack with it instead of food for their kids. People are hurting their own families because they have no sense of priorities or responsibilities. People rather smoke than buy their kids food. This is a fact. And the kids and others who are needy are not getting the resources they need because it's being thrown away on all we discussed. Now that is where I am coming from. And that is why dumb people need to be regulated from buying lotto, beer, cigarettes and cashed in to buy all sorts of non related to survival.
    Last edited by myyams; 01-28-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Aisha

  4. #34
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,642

    Default

    I think Japan has the right idea. While I think this would be unenforceable I agree that if you have money to spend on lottery tickets you are receiving too much money.

    Welfare payments to be slashed ?74 billion to root out the comfortably poor | The Japan Times
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #35
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,275

    Default

    There is not one financial planner who would recommend trying to deprive yourself of ALL non-essentials. No, you don't go overboard, but it is essential to have at least a little bit of money for themselves.

    I'm still curious as to whether $ in the collection plate at church is considered "non-essential"?

  6. #36
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I think Japan has the right idea. While I think this would be unenforceable I agree that if you have money to spend on lottery tickets you are receiving too much money.

    Welfare payments to be slashed ?74 billion to root out the comfortably poor | The Japan Times
    Aren't lottery tickets as cheap as a few dollars? I don't buy them, but aren't there ones for $1?

    And how do you start defining all these things? If you're poor and your kid has a field trip at school that's $5, is that a luxury? Who gets to decide?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #37
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    We all have the right to judge. I have the right to my opinion. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean anything to me personally, just as the reverse is likely true.

    Generally I agree with the USDA on eligible purchases, with exception of the energy drinks possibly the caffeine ones like Red Bull and similarly. My views are then right in line with what regulations are.

    If I don't work today, it doesn't mean tomorrow I won't and it certainly doesn't mean that I didn't in recent times. So, I do have the right to my opinion....regardless of working or not. This is a general discussion which is not discounted based on whether or not one is employed currently or not ...earning money at present.

    Perhaps you all are supportive of people buying lotto and beer and whatnot with public assistance. Perhaps this is the reason you're all shocked there is a different view on what public assistance should be spent on. You're not necessarily disagreeing with me, but the entire regulation from the USDA.

    Perhaps this is what is wrong with this country, people feel entitled and yet we keep supporting that same feeling and we empower to feel entitled. Way to go people.

    And the last thing I am going to say about this and it's closed for me is:

    For every dollar people spend on garbage stuff, that is one less dollar being spent on real food for people who desperately need real food, other people likely turned down, perhaps children of their own household because their parents are such losers that buying a couple of Red Bulls or whatever is more important than buying a chicken. Or perhaps they cashed in the money and bought some crack with it instead of food for their kids. People are hurting their own families because they have no sense of priorities or responsibilities. People rather smoke than buy their kids food. This is a fact. And the kids and others who are needy are not getting the resources they need because it's being thrown away on all we discussed. Now that is where I am coming from. And that is why dumb people need to be regulated from buying lotto, beer, cigarettes and cashed in to buy all sorts of non related to survival.
    Now they are losers for buying a couple of red bulls? Seriously?

    And using the whole "I'm entitled to my opinion" as part of your debate argument is so moot. Nobody is debating whether or not you have the right to it. Of course you do, but stating that you do becomes very redundant and does not help your debate.
    Last edited by mommytoMR.FACE; 01-28-2013 at 03:01 PM.

  8. #38
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    Double post.

  9. #39
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    We all have the right to judge. I have the right to my opinion. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean anything to me personally, just as the reverse is likely true.

    Generally I agree with the USDA on eligible purchases, with exception of the energy drinks possibly the caffeine ones like Red Bull and similarly. My views are then right in line with what regulations are.

    If I don't work today, it doesn't mean tomorrow I won't and it certainly doesn't mean that I didn't in recent times. So, I do have the right to my opinion....regardless of working or not. This is a general discussion which is not discounted based on whether or not one is employed currently or not ...earning money at present.

    Perhaps you all are supportive of people buying lotto and beer and whatnot with public assistance. Perhaps this is the reason you're all shocked there is a different view on what public assistance should be spent on. You're not necessarily disagreeing with me, but the entire regulation from the USDA.

    Perhaps this is what is wrong with this country, people feel entitled and yet we keep supporting that same feeling and we empower to feel entitled. Way to go people.

    And the last thing I am going to say about this and it's closed for me is:

    For every dollar people spend on garbage stuff, that is one less dollar being spent on real food for people who desperately need real food, other people likely turned down, perhaps children of their own household because their parents are such losers that buying a couple of Red Bulls or whatever is more important than buying a chicken. Or perhaps they cashed in the money and bought some crack with it instead of food for their kids. People are hurting their own families because they have no sense of priorities or responsibilities. People rather smoke than buy their kids food. This is a fact. And the kids and others who are needy are not getting the resources they need because it's being thrown away on all we discussed. Now that is where I am coming from. And that is why dumb people need to be regulated from buying lotto, beer, cigarettes and cashed in to buy all sorts of non related to survival.
    no one is arguing your right to judge others. Just like everyone is free to judge your myopic little views and your disdain for the "losers" and " dumb people" on assistance.
    mommytoMR.FACE likes this.

  10. #40
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Aren't lottery tickets as cheap as a few dollars? I don't buy them, but aren't there ones for $1?

    And how do you start defining all these things? If you're poor and your kid has a field trip at school that's $5, is that a luxury? Who gets to decide?
    I don't care if it is only $1. It is still wrong to spend money someone gave you for living expenses to gamble with, no matter if it is a lottery ticket or a slot machine or a poker game. But if you are going to give someone cash there is no way to control what they do with it. So whether I agree with or not there is no way they would be able to enforce a law like this.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions