No Lottery Tickets for Welfare Recipients - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 206
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: No Lottery Tickets for Welfare Recipients

  1. #41
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I don't care if it is only $1. It is still wrong to spend money someone gave you for living expenses to gamble with, no matter if it is a lottery ticket or a slot machine or a poker game. But if you are going to give someone cash there is no way to control what they do with it. So whether I agree with or not there is no way they would be able to enforce a law like this.
    I am not understanding your POV. If you are on food stamps, how is someone giving you that one dollar for living expenses? If a man who has 6 children is working 50 hours a week at a minimum wage job he is still going to qualify for food stamps. Is it then the Government's job to dictate how he spends every dime of his pay check? I also do not believe in playing the lottery, but I believe stronger in a person's right to live their life with as little interference from the Government as possible. I do not want the Government to think they have to power to control someone's life just because they are on assistance.
    Sapphire Sunsets likes this.

    ~Bonita~

  2. #42
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I am not understanding your POV. If you are on food stamps, how is someone giving you that one dollar for living expenses? If a man who has 6 children is working 50 hours a week at a minimum wage job he is still going to qualify for food stamps. Is it then the Government's job to dictate how he spends every dime of his pay check? I also do not believe in playing the lottery, but I believe stronger in a person's right to live their life with as little interference from the Government as possible. I do not want the Government to think they have to power to control someone's life just because they are on assistance.
    Food stamps can't be spent on lottery tickets anyway. They can only be spent on food.

    TANF is the program that gives cash assistance. That money is given at taxpayer expense to provide for basic needs. I wouldn't call a lottery ticket a basic need.

    The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program helps families with children whose parents or responsible caregiver cannot provide for the family's basic needs.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #43
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Food stamps can't be spent on lottery tickets anyway. They can only be spent on food.

    TANF is the program that gives cash assistance. That money is given at taxpayer expense to provide for basic needs. I wouldn't call a lottery ticket a basic need.
    I have never heard of TANF before. The only assistance programs I have heard of are WIC and Food Stamps. I admit to being ignorant in that area because I know no one that uses the program. Even still, until you are given vouchers that specifically state what can be bought with the money you would not be able to separate it from a persons private money that was gotten another way.

    About not being able to use Food Stamps to buy Lotto tickets, that is exactly what we are saying. Just because you are on food stamps does not give the government and right to tell you what you can or can not do with the rest of your money. If there is a cash assistance program then it should also work in such a way that it is on a special card that it can monitor what it will accept or not such as how the food stamps/ebt card works. You can not/should not dictate what someone spends their cash/check on.

    ~Bonita~

  4. #44
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I have never heard of TANF before. The only assistance programs I have heard of are WIC and Food Stamps. I admit to being ignorant in that area because I know no one that uses the program. Even still, until you are given vouchers that specifically state what can be bought with the money you would not be able to separate it from a persons private money that was gotten another way.

    About not being able to use Food Stamps to buy Lotto tickets, that is exactly what we are saying. Just because you are on food stamps does not give the government and right to tell you what you can or can not do with the rest of your money. If there is a cash assistance program then it should also work in such a way that it is on a special card that it can monitor what it will accept or not such as how the food stamps/ebt card works. You can not/should not dictate what someone spends their cash/check on.
    Again, Food Stamps... or SNAP as it is now called ARE limited to what they can buy with it already. It is built into the card and will reject non food items. We are not talking about the REST of your money. We are talking about the money that is provided through the TANF program. You can get cash from your ebt card if you are receiving TANF, which is assistance that is supposed to be used for BASIC needs like rent, clothing, etc. By definition it is for BASIC needs, not the lottery. That said, I have already said that there would be no way to enforce it because once they get cash there is no way to trace how they spend it.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #45
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,391

    Default

    Yep, I'm gonna go there.

    So if you are on public assistance, do you lose your right to own a gun? Or are the bullets a necessity?
    Last edited by ethanwinfield; 01-28-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: damn autocorrect!

  6. #46
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    Yep, I'm gonna go there.

    So if you are on public assistance, do you lose your right to own again? Or are the bullets a necessity?
    If you are asking me my opinion, no you don't lose your right to own a gun, that is a right under the 2nd amendment. Do I believe that TANF should be used to purchase a gun or bullets? No I don't think that would qualify as a BASIC need.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #47
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    If you are asking me my opinion, no you don't lose your right to own a gun, that is a right under the 2nd amendment. Do I believe that TANF should be used to purchase a gun or bullets? No I don't think that would qualify as a BASIC need.
    But so is liberty (5th amendment). At what point do those on public assistance give up all of their liberties? Only allowed to shop at Payless and Goodwill? No birthday/anniversary cards for their family? No church donations (so far no one has addressed my question on that)? Pennies in the wishing well? No nail polish or hair cuts?

    Who gets to decide what is "necessary" or "essential"?

    I guess it just comes across to me that if you are on assistance, your life should miserable. I owe people money too. I am paid through taxes. You don't need to take my inventory and judge the fact that I bought a $5 scratcher this morning.

  8. #48
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    But so is liberty (5th amendment). At what point do those on public assistance give up all of their liberties? Only allowed to shop at Payless and Goodwill? No birthday/anniversary cards for their family? No church donations (so far no one has addressed my question on that)? Pennies in the wishing well? No nail polish or hair cuts?

    Who gets to decide what is "necessary" or "essential"?

    I guess it just comes across to me that if you are on assistance, your life should miserable. I owe people money too. I am paid through taxes. You don't need to take my inventory and judge the fact that I bought a $5 scratcher this morning.
    If the state is giving you the money, the state decides. If you earn your own money you can decide to do whatever you want with it.

    Monthly cash payments help pay for food, clothing, housing, utilities, furniture, transportation, telephone, laundry, household equipment, medical supplies not paid for by Medicaid and other basic needs.
    Texas HHSC: Cash Help for Families
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #49
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    But what this law states is that it is up for the store owner to not sell to those known to be accepting welfare payments. So, if the store owner knows that I (hypothetically) get assistance and my mom gives me 5.00 to buy a few scratch tickets or a lottery ticket...they can't sell to me? So now gift money is not up to me? Not cool.

  10. #50
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Again, Food Stamps... or SNAP as it is now called ARE limited to what they can buy with it already. It is built into the card and will reject non food items. We are not talking about the REST of your money. We are talking about the money that is provided through the TANF program. You can get cash from your ebt card if you are receiving TANF, which is assistance that is supposed to be used for BASIC needs like rent, clothing, etc. By definition it is for BASIC needs, not the lottery. That said, I have already said that there would be no way to enforce it because once they get cash there is no way to trace how they spend it.
    Then we are talking about two different things. I am talking about money that is yours. As I gave in examples if your mom gave you $10 for your birthday, if you found $1 in the gutter. No one should be able to tell you what to do with that money.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions