NRA Ad about Obama's Daughters - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 122
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: NRA Ad about Obama's Daughters

  1. #41
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    See- to me it's not about who is worrying or not- it's about who is proposing rational solutions to address their worry or not. I just finished a class with about 60 other women in a gym with about 14,000 members. Like 6 other similar classes were going on at the exact same time. All of us were wearing very little clothing as was appropriate for our activity- I guarantee no one was cc'ing. Any crazy person could have walked in and shot us all. At my parents church 1000 people may gather on a Sunday. Anyone could walk in and start shooting. To me this isn't just about schools. I go to the beach and the swimming pool all summer. No one is armed. There are no armed guards . To use Gloria's phrase we are "sitting ducks".

    so when someone wants to put all of their focus on how scary schools are - to me it's like someone sitting downstream by a river where dead bodies keep washing up. They freak out about the dead bodies and want to put in elaborate dead body pulling out systems in place in the river. Okay. Fine. I see that as cowardly and short sighted. I want to walk upstream. Because I LIVE upstream and I need to know where and why these bodies are coming from. I can't just sit downstream and figure out ways to pull out those bodies and talk about how scary it is up there.

    i want effective gun control because I don't want the shootings to start happening at churches, or country clubs, or gyms, or public beaches, or public pools, or parks, or amusement parks. I don't want armed guards everywhere I go. I don't want metal detectors to go worship or to go swimming in the ocean or running at the park. I want to be proactive, not reactive.

  2. #42
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    See- to me it's not about who is worrying or not- it's about who is proposing rational solutions to address their worry or not. I just finished a class with about 60 other women in a gym with about 14,000 members. Like 6 other similar classes were going on at the exact same time. All of us were wearing very little clothing as was appropriate for our activity- I guarantee no one was cc'ing. Any crazy person could have walked in and shot us all. At my parents church 1000 people may gather on a Sunday. Anyone could walk in and start shooting. To me this isn't just about schools. I go to the beach and the swimming pool all summer. No one is armed. There are no armed guards . To use Gloria's phrase we are "sitting ducks".

    so when someone wants to put all of their focus on how scary schools are - to me it's like someone sitting downstream by a river where dead bodies keep washing up. They freak out about the dead bodies and want to put in elaborate dead body pulling out systems in place in the river. Okay. Fine. I see that as cowardly and short sighted. I want to walk upstream. Because I LIVE upstream and I need to know where and why these bodies are coming from. I can't just sit downstream and figure out ways to pull out those bodies and talk about how scary it is up there.

    i want effective gun control because I don't want the shootings to start happening at churches, or country clubs, or gyms, or public beaches, or public pools, or parks, or amusement parks. I don't want armed guards everywhere I go. I don't want metal detectors to go worship or to go swimming in the ocean or running at the park. I want to be proactive, not reactive.
    I agree with you for the most part, but, to use your analogy, it might take awhile to deal with the problem up river, and in the meantime we need to find a way to deal with the bodies downstream, because we drink this water. I personally dont think that guns in schools is the solution, but other people do seem to think that, and at this point I dont really have a viable alternative that wont be torn to shreds on here I do feel that locked doors, lock down drills etc are enough, and they are where I live.

    I also think that the reason so many people focus on schools is because we have this, probably irrational, belief that we could protect our children better than anyone else can, so if they are with us they are safer than when away from us, ie at school. I would think that people who are for guns in the school probably feel this stronger as they are more likely to have guns at home and CC. Since they thing guns equal safety, then they would want those same guns in the school. That is my take on it anyways.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  3. #43
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    See- to me it's not about who is worrying or not- it's about who is proposing rational solutions to address their worry or not. I just finished a class with about 60 other women in a gym with about 14,000 members. Like 6 other similar classes were going on at the exact same time. All of us were wearing very little clothing as was appropriate for our activity- I guarantee no one was cc'ing. Any crazy person could have walked in and shot us all. At my parents church 1000 people may gather on a Sunday. Anyone could walk in and start shooting. To me this isn't just about schools. I go to the beach and the swimming pool all summer. No one is armed. There are no armed guards . To use Gloria's phrase we are "sitting ducks".
    One of the differences is that no one has declared your gym or your church a "gun free zone" and publicized that fact. Do you know for a fact that none of these women have guns in their bags or purses in their locker? How would you know?
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #44
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,192

    Default

    My work is a gun free zone.
    Spacers likes this.

  5. #45
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    My work is a gun free zone.
    And do you think that is going to keep some disgruntled employee from coming in with a gun to shoot everyone?

    1/2 Hour News Hour 'Gun-Free Zone' parody | MRCTV
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #46
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    One of the differences is that no one has declared your gym or your church a "gun free zone" and publicized that fact. Do you know for a fact that none of these women have guns in their bags or purses in their locker? How would you know?

    I don't know that for a fact, but I do know for a fact that the locker room is a good 400 yards behind the classroom and towards the door from the classroom that we were in. If they did have their gun locked up in a locker, it would not do us any good at all if a gunman was standing in the doorway with an automatic weapon shooting hundreds of bullets at us.

    You are missing the forest for the trees, however. I don't want to live in a police state. And I know that other countries don't. I've traveled to many parts of the world, and didn't have to swim or worship or study under armed guard. I don't believe that America has to be different.

  7. #47
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I don't know that for a fact, but I do know for a fact that the locker room is a good 400 yards behind the classroom and towards the door from the classroom that we were in. If they did have their gun locked up in a locker, it would not do us any good at all if a gunman was standing in the doorway with an automatic weapon shooting hundreds of bullets at us.

    You are missing the forest for the trees, however. I don't want to live in a police state. And I know that other countries don't. I've traveled to many parts of the world, and didn't have to swim or worship or study under armed guard. I don't believe that America has to be different.
    An AR-15 is a SEMI-Automatic weapon. Just the same as most handguns. Automatic weapons are very hard to get.

    Here is an interesting take on it from someone who has actually been through it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJFAvA-ZUE

    If you don't want a gun don't get one. Easy. But that doesn't mean other people shouldn't have the right to get one if they want to.

    Believe it or not I don't have a gun. I just tend not to worry about someone shooting me, I am just that type of person. But I will fight for anyone who DOES want to carry one to have the right to do it.
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 01-18-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  8. #48
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    An AR-15 is a SEMI-Automatic weapon. Just the same as most handguns. Automatic weapons are very hard to get.

    Here is an interesting take on it from someone who has actually been through it.
    Dr. Suzanna Hupp Testimony Before Congress on the 2nd Amendment - YouTube

    If you don't want a gun don't get one. Easy.

    Believe it or not I don't have a gun. I just tend not to worry about someone shooting me, I am just that type of person. But I will fight for anyone who DOES want to carry one to have the right to do it.

    None of this applies to what I am trying to debate.

    Again, I don't want to live in fear, or in a police state. I don't understand why you believe that the USA has successfully made automatic weapons so nearly impossible to get but you buy the "criminals will always get guns" lie. Yes, if I don't want to have a gun it is easy to not have one. But if I don't want to get mowed down at my local park or gym or church and lunatics can get guns as easily as you say they can, that is a problem. I don't want that, and my right to not live in fear of those people is a valid one. I also have a valid right to not want to live surrounded by armed guards and to have to walk through metal detectors every where I go just because of your unreasonable desire to allow lunatics to be armed to the teeth, or to not want background checks, or to not have guns locked up, or to not provide for reasonable measures to prevent weapons of mass destruction being available to anyone who wants them.

    I'm glad Dr. Hupp was awarded a lifetime membership by the NRA. She surely deserved it. I could not more forcefully disagree with her.
    Last edited by Potter75; 01-18-2013 at 02:18 PM.

  9. #49
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,192

    Default

    You're right. It may not stop them. I don't go into work worried that someone I work with will gun me down. So far since the company has been around for 75 years no one has been attacked at work. I'd say that the chance it will happen to me is slim.

  10. #50
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,005

    Default

    I agree with both Melissa and Kyla with the dead body analogy. Its critical that you find ways to stop it before it happens. But I also agree that we find ways to deal with the situation we are in now...until we determine the problem to be effectively resolved.

    Also, I think its very rational to expect heightened security and more measures taken at schools compared to other places that are seemingly just as vulnerable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions