Obamacare is almost here - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 445
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Obamacare is almost here

  1. #91
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    They have special medical programs that children qualify for even if they don't get medicaid. So if it was just him and his dad, and his dad made less than $36,468, the most he would have paid is $35 a month.

    https://www.peachcare.org/FaqView.aspx?displayFaqId=104
    https://www.peachcare.org/FaqView.aspx?displayFaqId=106
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. That he could have had insurance as a kid but he didn't want it? I don't know what his family's circumstances were. I'm not sure what that has to do with the debate anyway.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  2. #92
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    You are saying this based on what, exactly? Because again, this sounds like a guy that WANTED insurance, so if it was super cheap and easy to get before, I wonder why he didn't get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. That he could have had insurance as a kid but he didn't want it? I don't know what his family's circumstances were. I'm not sure what that has to do with the debate anyway.
    Isn't that what you said that he wanted insurance before and couldn't get it? That is what I am saying is bogus, because even before Obamacare ANY child that needed insurance could have been covered under these children's programs that every state is already required to have. So until he turned 19 if he was low income (up to 235% of the poverty limit) he would have qualified for this program, and if they were over the income limits his dad could have afforded to buy insurance if he wanted to. If he wanted to argue that he couldn't afford insurance for the past 2 years so be it, but don't argue that he couldn't have gotten insurance for the past 14 years because that is a bogus claim.
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 10-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #93
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Isn't that what you said that he wanted insurance before and couldn't get it? That is what I am saying is bogus, because even before Obamacare ANY child that needed insurance could have been covered under these children's programs that every state is already required to have. So until he turned 19 if he was low income (up to 235% of the poverty limit) he would have qualified for this program, and if they were over the income limits his dad could have afforded to buy insurance if he wanted to. If he wanted to argue that he couldn't afford insurance for the past 2 years so be it, but don't argue that he couldn't have gotten insurance for the past 14 years because that is a bogus claim.
    Presumably he wasn't in charge of arranging for his own insurance and healthcare when he was a child. Like I said, I don't know what his family situation was and neither do you. Maybe they lived in a state where it was harder to do. Maybe they really did make over the max but still had a lot of other bills and still couldn't afford it. Maybe his parents were irresponsible. Maybe his parents are like my dad and refuse public assistance even when they qualify for it and really need it. I don't know? I don't think it was his responsibility to deal with as a kid, and I don't think you know him well enough to say that his claim that he hasn't had insurance for 14 years is "bogus."
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  4. #94
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Presumably he wasn't in charge of arranging for his own insurance and healthcare when he was a child. Like I said, I don't know what his family situation was and neither do you. Maybe they lived in a state where it was harder to do. Maybe they really did make over the max but still had a lot of other bills and still couldn't afford it. Maybe his parents were irresponsible. Maybe his parents are like my dad and refuse public assistance even when they qualify for it and really need it. I don't know? I don't think it was his responsibility to deal with as a kid, and I don't think you know him well enough to say that his claim that he hasn't had insurance for 14 years is "bogus."
    I didn't say that he hasn't had insurance for 14 years. I said that he could have had it if he really WANTED it because it was available. To make it seem like he couldn't have gotten insurance before and suddenly can because of Obamacare IS bogus. All states are required to have this program, they just call it something different in each state, in Texas it is CHIP. Obamacare wasn't needed to cover children's insurance because they have already been covered for very low premiums under these programs for many years. No program can cover irresponsible parents, even Obamacare doesn't do that.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #95
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I didn't say that he hasn't had insurance for 14 years. I said that he could have had it if he really WANTED it because it was available. To make it seem like he couldn't have gotten insurance before and suddenly can because of Obamacare IS bogus. All states are required to have this program, they just call it something different in each state, in Texas it is CHIP. Obamacare wasn't needed to cover children's insurance because they have already been covered for very low premiums under these programs for many years. No program can cover irresponsible parents, even Obamacare doesn't do that.
    How would a child go about getting his own health care? I don't think you can use the fact that he could have had it (you suppose - you don't actually know how much his family made or what their financial situation was) mean that he never wanted access to healthcare?

    As a child, I'm sure he didn't know or care much about insurance. What kid does? That doesn't mean that as an adult he couldn't look back and say "Gee, I sure wish I had had insurance so I could have had medical care all of those years..."

    I still don't know why we are debating his family history when neither one of us know anything about his family.
    Spacers likes this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  6. #96
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    And the plot thickens.... turns out he didn't even enroll after all lol. I guess he doesn't want it so bad now either.

    Obamacare Stunner: Exchange Poster Boy Never Actually Enrolled in Obamacare but Claims ‘I Have Not Misled Anyone’ | TheBlaze.com
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #97
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    And the plot thickens.... turns out he didn't even enroll after all lol. I guess he doesn't want it so bad now either.]
    Why would you say that. He says he is going to purchase a plan and sounds like an Obama supporter.

  8. #98
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    He filed his application and started the enrollment process. Now he just needs to pick a plan. He's still under enrollment.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  9. #99
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    That's not really the point. That is NOT what he said originally. It is just a little comical that the media was trying so hard to find someone that had actually enrolled so they could do a story and the one person they finally found hadn't even actually enrolled.



    UPDATED: Obamacare Poster Boy Chad Henderson and His Dad Didn't Really Buy Insurance - Reason.com
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #100
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    15,356

    Default

    I have a friend in AZ, who makes good money, but has paid a ton for insurance for the last several years. The other day he was able to enroll through ACA, and is saving $500 a MONTH on his insurance now.
    Carolyn - 37
    Wife to Chad - 39
    Mom to Tom - 15
    Matt -11
    Nathan - 10


+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions