Obamacare is almost here - Page 35
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 445
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Obamacare is almost here

  1. #341
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Absolutely not. 85% of the country has medical insurance and can afford to pay for either their own insurance or their own health care (or at least could before Obamacare). That is why Obama said if you like your healthcare coverage you can keep it, because the majority does like what they have. We are just talking about the 15% who can't get coverage or can't afford it. Which isn't even really 15% because many in that 15% don't have insurance because they don't want it. We don't need to take a sledgehammer to fix a problem that only affects a small percentage of people. We should be finding ways to lower health CARE costs, not making sure everyone has health insurance. Make insurance more affordable by allowing MORE competition by allowing people to buy insurance across state lines, not by making it more expensive with less options and more restrictions. And IF insurance is going to be mandatory the minimum requirements should be for catastrophic coverage, not free copays.
    Exactly the 15% that were uninsured that I know are going to now be paying fines.. they are NOT going to be insured.. they are now going to be working poor with a fine.

    ETA - Locally we have a wonderful walk-in urgent care that is way cheaper than ER.. I think every community should have one.. and we need a 24 hour one.. and one closer to where we live right now it is 20min to get there.. I know some that have to drive 35-40min to get to the closest one.. and they are not open weekends either. They also provide prescriptions to last a few days.. which is wonderful. I think this is much much better option to consider than a universal health care plan.
    Last edited by Rivergallery; 11-14-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  2. #342
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Okay the first is just false...assuming you are talking about those that are just above the medicaid line. And second, i can't believe you are trying to argue that the system was working before because people without insurance are going to the emergency room for their medical care. That is a terrible cost to our nation!




    Yeah things were just peachy before.

    ETA: Actually, time to bow out of this again for a while. I'm not going to get myself all riled up two days in a row because of the things being said here.
    No, the system was not perfect before, however I think anyone that is being honest with themself will admit the current plan has just as many problems.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #343
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    No, the system was not perfect before, however I think anyone that is being honest with themself will admit the current plan has just as many problems.
    Really? Because one problem of not being denied for preexisting health conditions has been resolved. Therefore, I would be lying to myself if I went by your definition of honesty.

  4. #344
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    No, the system was not perfect before, however I think anyone that is being honest with themself will admit the current plan has just as many problems.
    Okay last thing...

    Bonita, the problem is our old system had been around for ages. 2014 hasn't even come yet. The truth is you can look at things now and project what you think is going to happen going forward but you don't actually know yet how bad its going to be. So to say it has just as many problems is pure conjecture. This is a massive overhaul! Of course things are going to be very choppy in the beginning..thats nature.

    Do you honestly think if we did your version of a massive overhaul, or glorias or anyone elses...whatever that version may be...it would be all be perfect from the beginning and eveyrone who wanted to be covered would be magically covered automatically and eveyrones costs would go down before the program actually even fully started yet?

    LOL

    THe plain fact of the matter is you actually can't know how bad it will or won't be at this point...please don't try to tell me you do.

  5. #345
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Okay last thing...

    Bonita, the problem is our old system had been around for ages. 2014 hasn't even come yet. The truth is you can look at things now and project what you think is going to happen going forward but you don't actually know yet how bad its going to be. So to say it has just as many problems is pure conjecture. This is a massive overhaul! Of course things are going to be very choppy in the beginning..thats nature.

    Do you honestly think if we did your version of a massive overhaul, or glorias or anyone elses...whatever that version may be...it would be all be perfect from the beginning and eveyrone who wanted to be covered would be magically covered automatically and eveyrones costs would go down before the program actually even fully started yet?

    LOL

    THe plain fact of the matter is you actually can't know how bad it will or won't be at this point...please don't try to tell me you do.
    The difference is the people that are hurting from this had it crammed down their throat.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #346
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    The difference is the people that are hurting from this had it crammed down their throat.
    Are you suggesting that people that were hurting before CHOSE to hurt?

    ETA: and you are changing subjects. My point was you are saying its going to be as bad as things are now and my point is you can't possibly know that at this time.

  7. #347
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    ~Bonita~

  8. #348
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Are you suggesting that people that were hurting before CHOSE to hurt?
    People who wanted insurance before could buy it. It might not have been affordable because premiums were so high for people with pre-existing conditions, but you could purchase it. Apparently it is not about having affordable insurance, but just having the option of having insurance. (I mean that sarcastically)

    ~Bonita~

  9. #349
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    People who wanted insurance before could buy it. It might not have been affordable because premiums were so high for people with pre-existing conditions, but you could purchase it. Apparently it is not about having affordable insurance, but just having the option of having insurance. (I mean that sarcastically)

    This makes no sense...you are saying that people before could buy insurance(by which you must mean they had the right to?), but then you are saying the sick and those who desparately needed it couldn't buy insurance because it was too expensive.


    And thats your argument about why things used to work? And that people now are being forced into a situation...but those people back then weren't?

    Color me confused

  10. #350
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    This makes no sense...you are saying that people before could buy insurance(by which you must mean they had the right to?), but then you are saying the sick and those who desparately needed it couldn't buy insurance because it was too expensive.


    And thats your argument about why things used to work? And that people now are being forced into a situation...but those people back then weren't?

    Color me confused
    People could buy insurance before but it was too expensive for some people.

    People who's insurance is being cancelled can choose to buy new insurance but it is too expensive.

    Having the ability to buy insurance does not mean that you can afford to do so. This law does nothing to help that. It just changes who can't buy or that it is a burden to buy insurance.
    Last edited by AlyssaEimers; 11-14-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions