Obamacare is almost here - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 445
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Obamacare is almost here

  1. #81
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Your argument is that he could have gotten cheap awesome insurance before, but he's been waiting 14 years for a President to do health care reform so he could jump on the bandwagon and get famous?
    I don't think he really WANTED insurance before because he didn't really need it. By the way ... he is only 21 so chances are if he (or his dad) were low income he could have had insurance before because he would have been under 18 for about 11 of those 14 years.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  2. #82
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So now it is the governors fault that they put something in the bill that was unconstitutional?
    Thats not what i said. You can't possibly think thats what i meant so I'll just assume you are being argumentative. But on the off chance you don't get it...it is the gov.'s fault he decided not to partake in the expansion.

    It is not his fault the bill was written badly.
    This has nothing to do with it being written badly. I feel like you are just throwing out lines to make it sound worse than it really is, between this and that made up stuff about loopholes and the medicaid expansion.

    It is not his fault that a poorly written bill is now law and the Democrats refuse to fix it.
    There's nothing to fix in this regard. There is a medicaid expansion that would have helped your little buddy get the coverage you wanted him to get and his governor didn't want to do that.

    If i give you the means to fix a problem and you choose not to use that....i'm pretty sure its your fault.

  3. #83
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    The links worked for me, I just double checked. Perhaps if you typed in the search yourself it would work. Cigna is a very reputable company (Not an online place, it is a real building). I know several people who work there.
    they work for you because it is your session....so only you can see it. Its a technical thing. Trust me, no one else can see it.

  4. #84
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,135

    Default

    Cigna is a very reputable company (Not an online place, it is a real building). I know several people who work there
    Lots of supposedly reputible insurance companies sell bad insurance plans. Thats part of the reason why we needed to revamp the system.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 10-04-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Emma 08/31/01
    Aodhan 07/24/03
    Lillian 03/04/05
    Nathalie 07/01/07
    Cecilia Marie 1/10/10


    Photo By Anne Schmidt Photography

  5. #85
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I don't think he really WANTED insurance before because he didn't really need it. By the way ... he is only 21 so chances are if he (or his dad) were low income he could have had insurance before because he would have been under 18 for about 11 of those 14 years.
    Not to make your argument for you, but $175 a month is kind of expensive to pay if you're only doing it on the off chance you can "become the Obamacare posterboy", especially if you're only making $11K a year. He would have been exempt from the mandate if he didn't want it (assuming that $175 is the best that the exchange could offer) because anyone who can't find insurance that is 8% or less of their income is exempt, so he didn't *have* to buy it. But he did, dared to get excited about having health insurance for the first time in 14 years, and conservatives immediately start painting him as some sort of jerk for it. Classy.

    I don't know what the laws in regards to children are, but I read something about not qualifying for Medicaid in GA unless you make under like $8K a year, so maybe his family made too much to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to afford private insurance?
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  6. #86
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I am very comfortable saying with surety that a single, healthy, young male could get good health insurance for less than $100/ month.
    I find that incredibly hard to believe. That might be their portion and an employer is paying the rest, or it might have a really high deductible which I (and many others) do NOT consider a "good" plan. I know Tennessee has a very low cost of living, but it's not low enough to support health insurance plans that are *that* low. No way.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  7. #87
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Your argument is that he could have gotten cheap awesome insurance before, but he's been waiting 14 years for a President to do health care reform so he could jump on the bandwagon and get famous?
    My guess is that he might not have known that there are cheaper options out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Lots of supposedly reputible insurance companies sell bad insurance plans. Thats part of the reason why we needed to revamp the system.
    My health insurance is through Cigna right now. My point was that it was not an on-line scam but a real legitimate company. The plans I saw had a normal doctor co-pay, a monthly premium, and a deductible like I listed same as employer based insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I don't know what the laws in regards to children are, but I read something about not qualifying for Medicaid in GA unless you make under like $8K a year, so maybe his family made too much to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to afford private insurance?
    GA actually has a much better plan for children than TN does in Peach Care. I personally know many families that are on this. I have a good friend with 4 children (They make more than $8K a year) on Peach Care. They pay $20/ month for all of their children to have very good insurance. We go to church in GA and I would say at least 50% of the kids are on Peach Care. TN only covers children up to age 1 unless they have no other option for insurance. (Again, this is now before any laws change)

    ~Bonita~

  8. #88
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    I find that incredibly hard to believe. That might be their portion and an employer is paying the rest, or it might have a really high deductible which I (and many others) do NOT consider a "good" plan. I know Tennessee has a very low cost of living, but it's not low enough to support health insurance plans that are *that* low. No way.
    Feel free to do your own search. I put real numbers in and those are the numbers I got. This is private insurance, not through and employer. My own husband had a similar plan for several years.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #89
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    right now. My point was that it was not an on-line scam but a real legitimate company. The plans I saw had a normal doctor co-pay, a monthly premium, and a deductible like I listed same as employer based insurance.
    Yeah but no one was saying the bad insurance plans are online scams. We all know that these bad insurance plans come from real live actual insurance companies. That 45 dollar plan that the original article was talking about is from Blue Cross Blue Shield.

    My plan is through Blue Cross Blue Shield and is great! But that 45 dollar plan is terrible.

  10. #90
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I don't know what the laws in regards to children are, but I read something about not qualifying for Medicaid in GA unless you make under like $8K a year, so maybe his family made too much to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to afford private insurance?
    They have special medical programs that children qualify for even if they don't get medicaid. So if it was just him and his dad, and his dad made less than $36,468, the most he would have paid is $35 a month.

    https://www.peachcare.org/FaqView.aspx?displayFaqId=104
    https://www.peachcare.org/FaqView.aspx?displayFaqId=106

    Thats why I say this is bogus. If his dad made more than $36,000 he could have been able to afford to buy some insurance if he wanted it.
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 10-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions