Organ donation via facebook
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Organ donation via facebook

  1. #1
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default Organ donation via facebook

    Facebook's new organ donation initiative hopes to inspire users to share what's inside of them on a whole new level.

    CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who launched the campaign on ABC's Good Morning America on Tuesday, said the program should make it easier for interested people to register and to encourage their friends to do the same.

    "Starting today, you can add that you're an organ donor to your timeline, and share your story about when, where or why you decided to become a donor," Zuckerberg said in a statement.

    "Even one individual can have an outsized impact on the challenges facing another, and on the world."

    Users in the U.S. and the U.K. will be able to sign up for their local registries and call attention to their pledge on the social networking site. Those who are already registered can also highlight their commitment. Zuckerberg is championing the cause partly because his late friend Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs was a liver transplant recipient. His girlfriend Priscilla Chan, who is completing her medical residency, also helped inspire the project.

    "This is an important event in people's lives, and we want to make it simple," he said in the ABC interview. "We can be a big part of helping solve the crisis out there."

    Right now, about 4500 Canadians are on waiting lists for organ donations, and donor registration rates vary across Canada. Every province has its own ways of handling organ registries, but many have turned to the internet and social media to reach out to potential donors. Just under a week ago, Alberta Health Services hosted an hour-long discussion on Twitter where participants could ask questions about organ donations and receive answers in real time from a transplant surgeon.

    "Donation has been a bit of a challenge for us in Canada," said Dr. Norman Kneteman.

    "It's been relatively stagnant for a few years, and in fact in Alberta it's been falling for the last several years," he said.

    "Because of that, we now are in the unfortunate situation of having about one person in five who gets listed for a transplant who in fact dies before they have the opportunity to go forward with the transplant."

    Currently there are 786 Albertans waiting for organ or tissue transplants. Meanwhile, in Manitoba, thousands are registering with an online organ donor database launched last week. Sign Up for Life has attracted over 3,200 registered users since it went online on April 23, according to health officials working on the website.
    Organ donation efforts recently received another boost from H?l?ne Campbell, a young Ottawa woman who gained fame for her internet-based campaign that won the approval of celebrities like Ellen DeGeneres and Justin Bieber. She recently underwent a successful double lung transplant. Many Canadians are following her recovery on her website, alungstory.ca and on Twitter @alungstory.

    Campbell was among those who reacted to Facebook's new campaign, tweeting, "Guys! This is amazing news! Couldn't have come at a better time, with all this awareness!"
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...-donation.html

    Is any way to get people to donate organs a good thing, or do you think Zuckerberg goes too far with this?

  2. #2
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Claire'sMommy View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...-donation.html

    Is any way to get people to donate organs a good thing, or do you think Zuckerberg goes too far with this?
    I don't see why it would be bad? Just because its associated with social media or facebook? Sounds fine to me....if it helps inspire people to become donors and offer help i think its great.

    If social media can convince people to 'plank' or 'bread their cat'.....maybe it can convince people to do good and useful things too.

    Really, i dont' see a downside to this

  3. #3
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,731

    Default

    I don't see any downside. A great way to advertise for organ donation.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Posting Addict fudd8963's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,564

    Default

    At first glance I don't see a downside to this either. I have already signed the back of my license to say I am a donor and have already signed up to be a bone marrow donor, so I don't really see where this is really any different than that. At least where I live they have it on the back of your license, so it's not like it's something that you never think about, so not really sure how this will help.
    ~ Tara

    April 19, 09: 37 week Take Home Twins!!!!
    Addison Bree - 5lb 6oz
    Brooke Isabella - 5lb 12oz



    4,043oz of BM donated!


  5. #5
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    I Love It. What do you mean by too far?

    eta-It should help because (at least in most states) your loved ones wishes can override yours when the time to make that decision comes. Unless you carry a copy of your living will that has been notarized, your spouse or family will make the decision on whether your organs are donated even if it's on the back of your driver's license noting you want to donate. If it's common knowledge you want to donate and why, it should make it easier for them to make the decision.

    It could also lead to people who aren't organ donors changing their minds. My best friend's little sister is a flaming liberal who would love the entire world to have the exact same things, but doesn't want to donate her organs because "they're mine." I dropped the conversation at that point, but I think online it might be easier for her to see why it's a terrible idea to be that selfish.
    Last edited by wlillie; 05-02-2012 at 11:20 AM.

  6. #6
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wlillie View Post
    I Love It. What do you mean by too far?

    eta-It should help because (at least in most states) your loved ones wishes can override yours when the time to make that decision comes. Unless you carry a copy of your living will that has been notarized, your spouse or family will make the decision on whether your organs are donated even if it's on the back of your driver's license noting you want to donate. If it's common knowledge you want to donate and why, it should make it easier for them to make the decision.

    It could also lead to people who aren't organ donors changing their minds. My best friend's little sister is a flaming liberal who would love the entire world to have the exact same things, but doesn't want to donate her organs because "they're mine." I dropped the conversation at that point, but I think online it might be easier for her to see why it's a terrible idea to be that selfish.
    Canadian bloggers, while most are pro-donation, all seem to say something similar (and I'm totally paraphrasing here): "Well, he's got your info, your pics, your soul, why not your heart?" Stuff like that. Others worry that it's far too much personal information (if there can be MORE personal info than what's already on fb) to be available on a public forum. Some say it should be kept between them and family members (and the govt. too if you sign the back of your driver's license).

    Has anyone here done it (signed up on fb)? Anyone planning on it?

    I would not sign up for organ donation on facebook, even if I hadn't signed the back of my license. For those who don't know that you can actually make organ donations that don't involve facebook or any other social media site, well for them I suppose it's a great idea. For me, the decision was a very personal and private one. I don't feel the need to make it known publicly that I'm donating my organs after death. Yeah, I don't really understand the "they're mine" thing (and yeah, I know some people have religious reasons for not donating and I'm not talking about them). What are you going to do with your organs when you're dead?

  7. #7
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,362

    Default

    To me it sounds like they are just facebook haters....the whole "Facebook is evil and they are out to get yout" kind of thing, so nothing that facebook would do would get a favorable response in that regard. But its like this is actually something good, that could have positive effects! And how much harm could actually come from it. I don't care if facebook would know if I'm a donor or not.

    If some people think it should be kept between family members, they can still do that can't they? Or is someone saying they HAVE to use FB for this and make it public?

    I haven't done it...is it actually available yet? I would consider doing it...I'm already a donor but i would 'advertise' that info if i thought it would encourage more people to do it. I haven't decided yet if it will or not (but i don't see any negative in trying).

    Using FB to do it isn't going to be for everyone. But i dont' think FB is evil for integrating such a service. Because it will be for *some people* and reaching that many more people will be beneficial.

  8. #8
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    I did put mine on the timeline and noticed several others did. I'm a living kidney donor, so my organs will be donated if possible. I just put it in my siggy on another site so that if anyone was thinking about it they knew they could ask me questions. The more info that's out there the better IMO. A lot of people don't realize how much those organs can change and save other people's lives.

    I was actually thinking about talking to dh (before this all came out) about donating my body to science after they are done with the reusable parts too because of something one of the nurses on my facebook posted. It never would have occurred to me before to actually talk to him about it, but I'm going to update my living will and will after this baby comes and that will be added to it. So I've personally seen how it can help spread the good ideas.

    Also, even if you don't want to share that you are an organ donor, the site posts the link for you to sign up. I'd prefer an opt-out program, but that is too big-government for me so am happy when I see others taking the time and energy to do soemthing to promote awareness for a great cause.

    We always talk about the lack of resources for financial issues, but 20% of people ont he transplant lists aren't dying because there isn't enough healthcare, they are dying because of organ shortages. If we could get that number down to zero, the people in charge could add more people to the list who currently get denied becasue they aren't good enough (healthwise) to be considered eligible.

    eta- Most organized religions believe strongly in organ donation, some believe it's a personal decision, and only two (at last research time) think it's wrong. I understand it's their body, but I hate when people say it's against their religion. Unless you are Romanian and I forget the other one, it's a personal decision. Even Jehovah's Witnesses agree to transplants if they take the blood out of the organs again.
    Last edited by wlillie; 05-02-2012 at 12:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Claire'sMommy View Post
    Canadian bloggers, while most are pro-donation, all seem to say something similar (and I'm totally paraphrasing here): "Well, he's got your info, your pics, your soul, why not your heart?" Stuff like that. Others worry that it's far too much personal information (if there can be MORE personal info than what's already on fb) to be available on a public forum. Some say it should be kept between them and family members (and the govt. too if you sign the back of your driver's license).

    Has anyone here done it (signed up on fb)? Anyone planning on it?

    I would not sign up for organ donation on facebook, even if I hadn't signed the back of my license. For those who don't know that you can actually make organ donations that don't involve facebook or any other social media site, well for them I suppose it's a great idea. For me, the decision was a very personal and private one. I don't feel the need to make it known publicly that I'm donating my organs after death. Yeah, I don't really understand the "they're mine" thing (and yeah, I know some people have religious reasons for not donating and I'm not talking about them). What are you going to do with your organs when you're dead?
    I think it's silly to think anyone would actually harm someone because they post on facebook that they are an organ donor and think they could get their organs. I think if more people are not afraid to announce it to the world that might encourage others to decide to become a donor that might not have otherwise. I'm all for that.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Just want to throw it out there. I don't think signing the back of your license is valid any more (at least in BC, if not Canada). You actually need to register through BC Transplant (or where ever you live).

    My friend works for BC Transplant and recently put a link of facebook about signing up. It just linked you to the Transplant website where you signed up as normal... If you don't want it on facebook that you're a donor, then just go to the site directly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions