OT - Getting To Know You QOTW - 12/9

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
OT - Getting To Know You QOTW - 12/9

What is one gift that you really want (for yourself) this holiday season?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

The thing that I wanted the most was for my son to be home safe from Afghanistan for Christmas and he got home Wednesday so anything after that is just icing on the cake.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

There's what I really would love outside of the realm of possibility, then there's the more reasonable, affordable gifts. Wink

I would really like a new winter coat - a dress coat for work. The one I have is all pilled and falling apart. My other nice coats are ski jackets/down filled puffy things - they don't look good over dress pants and heels. I would also like a new pair of warm gloves and a scarf/hat.

I would really love this beautiful silver ring I saw in the mall a while back. It's a band of woven leaves with pale coloured gems, kind of like this one below, but it's flat and not as wide, and it's filigree all the way around, and the stones are way smaller.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

The thing that I wanted the most was for my son to be home safe from Afghanistan for Christmas and he got home Wednesday so anything after that is just icing on the cake.

Wow, that puts my wish list to shame. Glad your son's home safe and sound!!

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

That's wonderful, Gloria. So happy for you!

What I really want for Christmas is for my husband to go to a sleep clinic for his snoring.

In the realm of unattainable expensive gifts that no one can afford, I'd love spending money and time with a personal shopper since I am now wearing all new sizes of clothing.

Attainable? I am all set. Some more baking supplies would be fun but now that I have an iPad my material needs have been met.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4114

"Claire'sMommy" wrote:

Wow, that puts my wish list to shame. Glad your son's home safe and sound!!

Thanks! This is the most beautiful sight in the world.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

Love those photos!

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

How wonderful Gloria! Those photos are great; thanks for sharing them with us!

The one thing that I would love more than anything (but definitely will not get) is a membership to the spa by my work and "permission" to get monthly massages. Membership costs X amount, but in return you get a big discount on one massage a month. I freaking love massages, and would love to get (at least) one a month. DH thinks that massages are a huge waste of money, so I do get massages occassionally, but I always get crap about it.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

How wonderful Gloria! Those photos are great; thanks for sharing them with us!

The one thing that I would love more than anything (but definitely will not get) is a membership to the spa by my work and "permission" to get monthly massages. Membership costs X amount, but in return you get a big discount on one massage a month. I freaking love massages, and would love to get (at least) one a month. DH thinks that massages are a huge waste of money, so I do get massages occassionally, but I always get crap about it.

I hear you. A lot of the time the kvetching and moaning I hear during my 30 second 'back rub' is worse than the sore back or tense muscles I've got. I'd rather get a professional job done by someone who just shuts up and does it, instead of someone who makes me feel like I just yanked out their teeth with no anaesthetic. I give DH like 30 minute back scratches - that's his thing. Is a 10 minute massage too much to ask? I think not!:wink:

carg0612's picture
Joined: 09/23/09
Posts: 1554

Gloria - that's so wonderful!!!

Laurie - ditto on the snoring. I've been after my DH to go to a sleep clinic for a year now. Maybe in 2012.

Otherwise what I really want is a little peace in my household. We have a difficult life being blended. I would so love to have one full week, just one, where the kids are all happy, thankful, polite, and satisfied. Where my DSS's aren't angry or acting out, where my 10 yr old DD isn't acting like she's 16 and where my DH and I aren't bickering over their behavior and the ex. Just one blissful week of insane cooperation and understanding. Oh, and maybe a hot chocolate to enjoy it with. The end.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

The thing that I wanted the most was for my son to be home safe from Afghanistan for Christmas and he got home Wednesday so anything after that is just icing on the cake.

How very Wonderful!!

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

What I really want for Christmas is for my husband to go to a sleep clinic for his snoring.

This made me giggle. I am always amazed at the FB status about husbands snoring.

"Claire'sMommy" wrote:

I hear you. A lot of the time the kvetching and moaning I hear during my 30 second 'back rub' is worse than the sore back or tense muscles I've got. I'd rather get a professional job done by someone who just shuts up and does it, instead of someone who makes me feel like I just yanked out their teeth with no anaesthetic. I give DH like 30 minute back scratches - that's his thing. Is a 10 minute massage too much to ask? I think not!:wink:

I completely understand this.

What I want the most for Christmas is coupons from DH. He did them one year and it was the best gift I have ever gotten. Examples are - One free time of not having to do laundry. One 30 minute back rub. One free pass of not having to cook dinner. And so on.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

Ooooh! I just thought of something better! My one big wish, which is truly a gift for ME, is for DH to finally go and get the big v. Seriously, he's been grumbling about knowing he needs to get it done since Ben was born 2 1/2 years ago. If I could get off the pill for good that would be an excellent gift that just keeps on giving. Wink

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

We aren't exchanging as my gift is coming in Jan in the form of a kids free golf and spa trip with friends Smile

If I could pick one gift to receive, however, it would be a Garmin GPS running watch. They are awesome, and I'm training for my first marathon in this coming year, and it would help. Holding on hope for Mothers day on that one Smile

Gloria, happy to hear that your son is home, and I hope that everyone gets surprised with what you would want!

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Potter75" wrote:

If I could pick one gift to receive, however, it would be a Garmin GPS running watch. They are awesome, and I'm training for my first marathon in this coming year, and it would help. Holding on hope for Mothers day on that one Smile

I got one of those for DH for his birthday last year. He loves it!

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

Massages for Christmas....sounds lovely.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

A good nights sleep, an end to the puking, and a housekeeper to come in (just once) and thoroughly clean everything that has been neglected in the past couple months...

Or, a nice pair of boots Smile

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

Omg, a good night's sleep would be a Christmas miracle. Lol

b525's picture
Joined: 06/06/07
Posts: 298

Yes, sleep is always my answer.

A spa day would be awesome, too. I don't think I could do a whole day, though. Maybe a half day - facial, pedicure, massage - ahhhhhhh.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

You girls can come have a sleepover here anytime. I'm in bed by 8:30 at least 4 nights a week and don't wake up till 7. Come on over! Tonight, however, is party night as my bigs are away overnight and the baby goes to bed at 6:45 ~ Yahoo

*Why don't you get to sleep???

Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 848

A stress free holiday!

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

"Potter75" wrote:

You girls can come have a sleepover here anytime. I'm in bed by 8:30 at least 4 nights a week and don't wake up till 7. Come on over! Tonight, however, is party night as my bigs are away overnight and the baby goes to bed at 6:45 ~ Yahoo

*Why don't you get to sleep???

Don't rub it in.

If I'm lucky, my youngest will wait until 6 to come downstairs and wake me up. Up until a few weeks ago she was coming downstairs once or twice in the middle of the night to wake me up. And my husband's snoring is a HUGE problem. I never sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch at most.

Also I can't go to bed early. That's no fun.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"Potter75" wrote:

You girls can come have a sleepover here anytime. I'm in bed by 8:30 at least 4 nights a week and don't wake up till 7. Come on over! Tonight, however, is party night as my bigs are away overnight and the baby goes to bed at 6:45 ~ Yahoo

*Why don't you get to sleep???

I've always struggled with insomnia, but add on to that working until 11pm and not getting home until close to 11:30pm and then into bed around midnight... Morning comes awfully quick. Plus, this pregnancy is sucking the life out of me. I'm thinking I might be anemic or something.

I can't blame my kids at all. They have all always been good sleepers. They are all in bed at 8 and sleep until 7:30.

b525's picture
Joined: 06/06/07
Posts: 298

"Potter75" wrote:

You girls can come have a sleepover here anytime. I'm in bed by 8:30 at least 4 nights a week and don't wake up till 7. Come on over! Tonight, however, is party night as my bigs are away overnight and the baby goes to bed at 6:45 ~ Yahoo

*Why don't you get to sleep???

I WOH, so there's too much to do every evening/night, and hubby doesn't get home from work until 7:00, so 'til we do dinner and baths and spend a little time together, 8:30 is about the earliest we can get THEM in bed. So, then there are lunches to pack, laundry, and all the usual stuff.

Oldest has never been a sleeper - still almost always up at least once a night. Second sleeps like a dream!

Hooray for the bigs having a sleepover! Have fun!

ETA: Oh, holy toledo, Melis. I just realized you sleep longer at night than my older son. Sigh.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

Oh a good night's sleep sounds fantastic! I want one of them. I had 7 straight hours on a business trip in January and it made such a difference.

A BFP would be nice too.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

We're not exchanging gifts with any adults this year and planning a trip to Orlando/Key West this spring instead.

If I could have anything I'd say a housekeeper/cook to come once a week or even twice a month. Or to have the Air Force keep paying me full-time and cut my hours in half. Wink

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

I think it's funny to be in bed at 8:30. My 8-year-old isn't in bed by then...my time for me doesn't even start until about 9:00ish, once he's in bed and the kitchen is cleaned up and that usually includes checking in on work to see what needs doing!

Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

Yeah, my me time is at night after the kids are in bed, but I struggle getting to bed to begin with and actually sleeping. The earliest lately that I fall asleep is 1 a.m. and up for work between 6-7 a.m. Thankfully, DH is a morning person and always lets me sleep in on the weekends when possible. I just got up! Biggrin

As for what I would want would either be something homemade specifically for me from either my sister or mom. My mom is really crafty yet doesn't make anything for us anymore. Otherwise, I would love to win a Wacom (along with other prizes) on the layouts I entered in a contest.

Gloria, that's awesome that your son is home! Beautiful pictures, Kylie has grown so much!

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I get my "me time" from 1-3:30 every day when all three are sleeping. At night, I'm done by 7, the baby nurses and goes to bed at 6:45, and my olders watch a show from 7-7:45 and by the time we read they are in bed by 8. Since DH works from home he has no commute, so we usually eat pretty early, like 5:45. I don't watch TV, and DH is up late studying mon-thursday or else is out of town, so I love to get in bed at like 8:15 or 8:30 with a book....some nights I just go directly to sleep. Love it. We tend to go pretty hard Friday and Sat nights, and I work out Sunday-Friday, so I need and appreciate the rest during the week. I can't sleep in to save my life, so early to bed it is, for me. Sleep keeps me healthy, I swear by it.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

Sleep is sooo important. My blood pressure increases every hour less I get a night. But what can I do? I'll sleep a lot when I retire.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3185

Yeah, I'd sleep more if Angel I had time for myself earlier in the day; and (b) if the snoring wasn't such a problem. It's HUGE. I don't know how to convey the importance of this to my husband.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Yeah, I'd sleep more if Angel I had time for myself earlier in the day; and (b) if the snoring wasn't such a problem. It's HUGE. I don't know how to convey the importance of this to my husband.

My sympathies. I grew up with a dad who snored loud enough to keep the whole house awake some nights. I don't know how my mom stands it.

He should totally go to a sleep clinic and look into getting a CPAP machine. They work great! A coworker of mine just got one (actually both her and her hubby did) and apparently the difference is amazing. Neither snore anymore and both are getting way more sleep.

Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

For Christmas this year we got my bridal set resized to fit me properly...how I've been wearing them all this time without fitting nicely I don't know. And we bought a new band for DH. He lost his first one at work. grrrr.

I would have loved a Kindle Fire but that's not in the budget. I'm hoping maybe hubby and his mom go in together and get it for me for my birthday which is the week after Christmas.

ETA: all the non sleep going on around here!! Gah. I'm usually in bed by 8-830 too. I love reading before sleeping. I swear I don't sleep as well if I just go to sleep. Though I miss the days where I'd go to bed at 11 and wake up at 1pm. Ah, to be 18 again. Smile

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"Potter75" wrote:

I get my "me time" from 1-3:30 every day when all three are sleeping. At night, I'm done by 7, the baby nurses and goes to bed at 6:45, and my olders watch a show from 7-7:45 and by the time we read they are in bed by 8. Since DH works from home he has no commute, so we usually eat pretty early, like 5:45. I don't watch TV, and DH is up late studying mon-thursday or else is out of town, so I love to get in bed at like 8:15 or 8:30 with a book....some nights I just go directly to sleep. Love it. We tend to go pretty hard Friday and Sat nights, and I work out Sunday-Friday, so I need and appreciate the rest during the week. I can't sleep in to save my life, so early to bed it is, for me. Sleep keeps me healthy, I swear by it.

That sounds so dreamy (no pun intended) Smile Maybe we should eat earlier, too, so I could get H to bed earlier. It takes so long for her to wind down. Of course, Tues, Wed, and Sun nights it would be impossible for her to get to bed that early as we don't get home early enough, but every other night she could. When do your kids take their baths?

As for what I want for Christmas, I'd love a laptop. I don't really expect to get one, as it's not within our budget right now, but it's nice to dream about it anyway Smile

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

a massage and or facial!

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"FLSunshineMom" wrote:

When do your kids take their baths?

Occasionally they all get in our bathtub together on a really rainy or snowy day in the afternoon before dinner to kill time in a fun way in winter, but generally they all three shower with either DH or I every other night (we have one of those large flat, tiled showers so its easy and quick). Dinner is cleaned up by 6:30, get in the shower then and the baby goes straight to bed. We only shower them every other night in the winter.

Minx_Kristi's picture
Joined: 01/02/09
Posts: 1261

A camera!

My other one got broken by someone last new year Sad I miss being able to take pics of my DD!

xx

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"blather" wrote:

Oh a good night's sleep sounds fantastic! I want one of them. I had 7 straight hours on a business trip in January and it made such a difference.

A BFP would be nice too.

:bluesperm::pinksperm: Sending you lots of BFP vibes!!! GL!!!!

FLSunshineMom's picture
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"Potter75" wrote:

Occasionally they all get in our bathtub together on a really rainy or snowy day in the afternoon before dinner to kill time in a fun way in winter, but generally they all three shower with either DH or I every other night (we have one of those large flat, tiled showers so its easy and quick). Dinner is cleaned up by 6:30, get in the shower then and the baby goes straight to bed. We only shower them every other night in the winter.

I usually do every other night with H in the winter, too, except for after Taekwondo or other similar activity where perspiring is involved. By the way, yesterday I made dinner earlier, put H in the bath right after dinner (instead of waiting like I normally do), and she went to bed (and actually went to sleep) about an hour earlier than she normally does! So I was able to go to bed earlier, too. It was so nice :cloud9: She woke up on her own this morning, too, which is a blessing because normally I'm having to drag her out of bed, lol.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

A necklace. I've picked out a few on amazon.com and added them to my wishlist for DH... but I don't know if we'll be able to afford it!

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 780

Earlier this month, I was able to take a week long vacation to Texas while my mom watched my son. I slept in until 10am, ate food without having to share, and didn't have to wipe a butt. I don't need anything else, it was an awesome gift Smile