OT - Job question!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OT - Job question!

  1. #1
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,538

    Default OT - Job question!

    So DH found out today that is part time job has decided to hire a limited amount of full time positions. This is very exciting for us, as it would be closer and better pay. DH is pretty should he wants the job, but is not 100%. Would it be fine to go ahead and apply, but later for some reason not take the position or would that burn a bridge with the company? Or would it be better to not apply unless he was 100% sure he wanted the job?

    Also, what would a tactful way to say he was interested in the position, but would like to know what the exact pay and benefits would be? Thanks so much for the ideas. It has been several years since either of us have gone through the hiring process. He does not want to burn a bridge with either of the places he currently works.

    ~Bonita~

  2. #2
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,465

    Default

    That's exciting!

    Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth;

    1. They will talk about pay & benefits at an interview. He doesn't need to bring it up before that, but he should wait until the interview is wrapping up to ask about it. Don't ask up front, it puts people off.

    2. The first one is harder. It depends how extensive the process is. If it's just an interview to find out more about the positions being offered, that's fine. Once they start spending time on someone with multiple interviews, they want to make sure they're not wasting their time. Normally I'd say it's fine to pursue if he's not sure, but not if he's already working there and would want to continue to do so.

    Oh, and he should ACT interested. I would never hire someone who appeared unsure about whether or not they wanted the job.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  3. #3
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    That's exciting!

    Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth;

    1. They will talk about pay & benefits at an interview. He doesn't need to bring it up before that, but he should wait until the interview is wrapping up to ask about it. Don't ask up front, it puts people off.

    2. The first one is harder. It depends how extensive the process is. If it's just an interview to find out more about the positions being offered, that's fine. Once they start spending time on someone with multiple interviews, they want to make sure they're not wasting their time. Normally I'd say it's fine to pursue if he's not sure, but not if he's already working there and would want to continue to do so.

    Oh, and he should ACT interested. I would never hire someone who appeared unsure about whether or not they wanted the job.
    Thank you, very helpful ideas.

    ~Bonita~

  4. #4
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,119

    Default

    At what point would your husband possibly back out? Would it be after the interview process but before accepting it? Or is he thinking he might take the job then decide he doesn't like it and then bow out. I think the second scenario would definitely burn bridges I think the first scenario is less likely to burn bridges because assuming they interviewed several people then they could just offer it to the next person. I think if it's a very long hiring process the risk of burning bridges goes up.

    Do not ask about any salary or benefits up front. There is no tactful way to do that. Wait until they bring it up. If they wait until late in the game to bring it up then I think it's okay to say "no thank you" at that point if the package isn't good enough for you. Employers know that is a common point for people to say."this won't work. "

  5. #5
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,538

    Default

    They sent out a feeler a few months ago to see if they would have interest in full time positions. Right now, they have only part time employees except for management. At that time, they were not looking for a commitment, but just interest. DH said he would be interested in full time positions. A few weeks ago, he boss sent him an e-mail that they were looking for an upper management position out of the headquarter office. DH applied mostly for the experience of applying but he did not get that position (He did not expect to). Today they sent out an e-mail that they would be willing to hire a limited amount of full time employees (It would be the same as his current part time position, just full time hours instead of 10hrs per week). At this point, if the pay was what he is making now, and the benefits are comparable he would take the job. He just does not want to apply for the job, then find out he would be making less or that there were not good benefits.

    I hope that makes sense. The con of this job is that it is 12 months vs. now in the school system it is 9 months. The benefit is that he would be 10 minutes away instead of 45 minutes, I think better pay, and better hours. It would be hard to decide without knowing first if he would get vacation time and how much he would make.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #6
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,465

    Default

    Well they won't expect him to take a job without knowing about pay, benefits, etc. That's usually what they tell you when they make an offer.

    I've had companies hold out on that info until the end, but more recently, they put it out there early on just to avoid wasting everybody's time. I once had an HR person put it out there on the table FIRST, because she had a sense that I made more than she could offer. (She was right.)
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #7
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    I think you would be right to assume that the pay and benefits would be similar to what he is making now part time for the same company.....wait, that might not be what you are saying. Do they know he is working for the school district right now? I dont think it would be burning his bridges if, when pay is discussed, it is not comparable to what he makes now. They must know he wouldnt leave for a lower paying position, it just doesnt make sense. So IMO, as long as he has a good relationship with the company, it would not be burning his bridges to apply, and then turn it down if the money isnt there. And I agree, if they havent offered up the pay and benefits by the end of the interview, then he should ask. They always ask if you have any questions at the end of the interview, in my experience. This is where I would fit that in.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  8. #8
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,538

    Default

    Even though we know there are gawkers out there I will throw this out there Right now working for the company he makes $30/hr for part time. He believes that if he was full time they would lower his pay to cover the benefits. Even if they lowered his pay down to $25/hr, he would make about the same as he does now both jobs combined. Only he would be working 37 hrs per week vs. 60 hrs per week including drive time.

    The difference is, if he works for his part time company full time, then he would not have the ability to work his part job anymore so he would need to make the same that he makes now with both jobs combined. I would "think" that they would not lower his pay more than $5/hr to go full time, but I am not sure.

    I am listening to him talk to his father, and I think listening to him that he is going to apply. There is no guarantee that he will get the job, but worst that can happen is that they say no.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #9
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    As I said above, as long as he is on good terms with the company now, I would think he would have a chance to explain if he needed to turn it down due to finances. I would apply From what you have said it sounds like a great opportunity!.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  10. #10
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    As I said above, as long as he is on good terms with the company now, I would think he would have a chance to explain if he needed to turn it down due to finances. I would apply From what you have said it sounds like a great opportunity!.
    Thanks. It does sound like a good opportunity. He was able to speak to another employee of the same company that lives in a different state that already has some full time employees. Her pay did not drop at all when she went full time. If that was the case he would for sure want the job. (Yes, he is in very good standing right now) At this point, I think he will apply.
    blather likes this.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions