OT - Job question!

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803
OT - Job question!

So DH found out today that is part time job has decided to hire a limited amount of full time positions. This is very exciting for us, as it would be closer and better pay. DH is pretty should he wants the job, but is not 100%. Would it be fine to go ahead and apply, but later for some reason not take the position or would that burn a bridge with the company? Or would it be better to not apply unless he was 100% sure he wanted the job?

Also, what would a tactful way to say he was interested in the position, but would like to know what the exact pay and benefits would be? Thanks so much for the ideas. It has been several years since either of us have gone through the hiring process. He does not want to burn a bridge with either of the places he currently works.

Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

That's exciting!

Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth;

1. They will talk about pay & benefits at an interview. He doesn't need to bring it up before that, but he should wait until the interview is wrapping up to ask about it. Don't ask up front, it puts people off.

2. The first one is harder. It depends how extensive the process is. If it's just an interview to find out more about the positions being offered, that's fine. Once they start spending time on someone with multiple interviews, they want to make sure they're not wasting their time. Normally I'd say it's fine to pursue if he's not sure, but not if he's already working there and would want to continue to do so.

Oh, and he should ACT interested. I would never hire someone who appeared unsure about whether or not they wanted the job.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

That's exciting!

Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth;

1. They will talk about pay & benefits at an interview. He doesn't need to bring it up before that, but he should wait until the interview is wrapping up to ask about it. Don't ask up front, it puts people off.

2. The first one is harder. It depends how extensive the process is. If it's just an interview to find out more about the positions being offered, that's fine. Once they start spending time on someone with multiple interviews, they want to make sure they're not wasting their time. Normally I'd say it's fine to pursue if he's not sure, but not if he's already working there and would want to continue to do so.

Oh, and he should ACT interested. I would never hire someone who appeared unsure about whether or not they wanted the job.

Thank you, very helpful ideas.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3472

At what point would your husband possibly back out? Would it be after the interview process but before accepting it? Or is he thinking he might take the job then decide he doesn't like it and then bow out. I think the second scenario would definitely burn bridges I think the first scenario is less likely to burn bridges because assuming they interviewed several people then they could just offer it to the next person. I think if it's a very long hiring process the risk of burning bridges goes up.

Do not ask about any salary or benefits up front. There is no tactful way to do that. Wait until they bring it up. If they wait until late in the game to bring it up then I think it's okay to say "no thank you" at that point if the package isn't good enough for you. Employers know that is a common point for people to say."this won't work. "

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

They sent out a feeler a few months ago to see if they would have interest in full time positions. Right now, they have only part time employees except for management. At that time, they were not looking for a commitment, but just interest. DH said he would be interested in full time positions. A few weeks ago, he boss sent him an e-mail that they were looking for an upper management position out of the headquarter office. DH applied mostly for the experience of applying but he did not get that position (He did not expect to). Today they sent out an e-mail that they would be willing to hire a limited amount of full time employees (It would be the same as his current part time position, just full time hours instead of 10hrs per week). At this point, if the pay was what he is making now, and the benefits are comparable he would take the job. He just does not want to apply for the job, then find out he would be making less or that there were not good benefits.

I hope that makes sense. The con of this job is that it is 12 months vs. now in the school system it is 9 months. The benefit is that he would be 10 minutes away instead of 45 minutes, I think better pay, and better hours. It would be hard to decide without knowing first if he would get vacation time and how much he would make.

Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

Well they won't expect him to take a job without knowing about pay, benefits, etc. That's usually what they tell you when they make an offer.

I've had companies hold out on that info until the end, but more recently, they put it out there early on just to avoid wasting everybody's time. I once had an HR person put it out there on the table FIRST, because she had a sense that I made more than she could offer. (She was right.)

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

I think you would be right to assume that the pay and benefits would be similar to what he is making now part time for the same company.....wait, that might not be what you are saying. Do they know he is working for the school district right now? I dont think it would be burning his bridges if, when pay is discussed, it is not comparable to what he makes now. They must know he wouldnt leave for a lower paying position, it just doesnt make sense. So IMO, as long as he has a good relationship with the company, it would not be burning his bridges to apply, and then turn it down if the money isnt there. And I agree, if they havent offered up the pay and benefits by the end of the interview, then he should ask. They always ask if you have any questions at the end of the interview, in my experience. This is where I would fit that in.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

Even though we know there are gawkers out there I will throw this out there Smile Right now working for the company he makes $30/hr for part time. He believes that if he was full time they would lower his pay to cover the benefits. Even if they lowered his pay down to $25/hr, he would make about the same as he does now both jobs combined. Only he would be working 37 hrs per week vs. 60 hrs per week including drive time.

The difference is, if he works for his part time company full time, then he would not have the ability to work his part job anymore so he would need to make the same that he makes now with both jobs combined. I would "think" that they would not lower his pay more than $5/hr to go full time, but I am not sure.

I am listening to him talk to his father, and I think listening to him that he is going to apply. There is no guarantee that he will get the job, but worst that can happen is that they say no.

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

As I said above, as long as he is on good terms with the company now, I would think he would have a chance to explain if he needed to turn it down due to finances. I would apply Smile From what you have said it sounds like a great opportunity!.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

"ftmom" wrote:

As I said above, as long as he is on good terms with the company now, I would think he would have a chance to explain if he needed to turn it down due to finances. I would apply Smile From what you have said it sounds like a great opportunity!.

Thanks. It does sound like a good opportunity. He was able to speak to another employee of the same company that lives in a different state that already has some full time employees. Her pay did not drop at all when she went full time. If that was the case he would for sure want the job. (Yes, he is in very good standing right now) At this point, I think he will apply.

Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

Bonita -- keep us posted!

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Bonita -- keep us posted!

I will let you know when I know more!

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

DH did send an e-mail to his boss saying he was interested in the position and could she provide more information. His boss wrote back to him the details of both vacation and pay. I am not sure if he will apply or not now. He has been given the impression that if he wants the job, it is his.

Spacers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

Does the potential full time position include benefits? If not, then you'll need to take into consideration how much you'd pay out-of-pocket for medical insurance, sick time off, etc. But also consider commute time & costs. If he's spending ten hours a week on the road, that is a significant amount of gas and wear & tear on your car, probably about $200 a week if you use the IRS reimbursement rate. And for weighing things like this, I consider my time to be worth $20 an hour, so a job closer to home that saves me ten hours commute time is "saving" me $200 a week.

Another thing to consider is if he likes his full-time job and would want to keep it, he might be able to leverage the competing offer to his benefit. If the full-time employer would match the offered rate if he stayed with them, he could leave the part-time job and earn the same amount of money but have more free time. Great position to be in, good for him, and good luck with the decision!

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

He found out that the full time position would have benefits, but that they would lower his pay $5/hour to pay for those benefits. There would also only be 2 weeks off vacation throughout the year. Now that he knows all of the exact numbers, I do not think he will take the job. Another possibility is to work two different part time jobs 30 hours a week for one, 20 hours a week for the other. If we can find decent health insurance for individuals, than that is what he will do. Whatever he decides will work out, and I am thankful that he has so many options right now.

Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

Very good to have options. Good luck with making a decision!

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

I think working for that company full time is going to be out. He could still work for them part time at his full pay without benefits only work just under the amount of hours required to be full time and make more money and be able to schedule all his own hours, and thus be able to freelance during peak business hours. The catch in all of that is health insurance, which we might be able to get from Blue Cross Blue Shield for individuals. Or, he might stay where he is at if he can get transferred to a closer school. (He works for the county, not the individual school)