Pantyhose = Fashion faux pas?

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/24/10
Posts: 208
Pantyhose = Fashion faux pas?

What do you think about this?

10 Worst Trends of 2011

7. Pantyhose
While Kate Middleton gets plenty of praise for fashion inspiration, she also reintroduced sheer pantyhose this year. (And L'eggs launched its first TV ad in more than a decade.) While Tim Gunn respects her style, he is not a fan of the hosiery. "I think there are few things that look as anachronistic as a sheer stocking," he says. "If you're wearing stockings, it should be known!"

http://yearinreview.yahoo.com/2011/blog/4655/10-worst-trends-of-2011/

I have to say that I love Tim Gunn, but I completely disagree with him here. I think nylons are a staple of classy women's wear, whether it be professional or formal attire. Also, why would a woman want to wear stockings that are 3 shades darker than the rest of her skin just so that everybody knows that she's wearing them? It looks odd when gals have brown legs and white arms. You want to match your skin tone or go a shade darker. I don't want people going, "OMG! She's definitely wearing nylons!" So weird. I didn't even know hosiery had officially gone out of style. Can someone let me know when bras aren't "trendy" anymore? I'd like to hit the clearance sales!

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/24/10
Posts: 208

I think Kate looks lovely here and her legs look nicer than Mrs. Obama's bare legs do in this picture.

Spacers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

I think pantyhose are fine if you follow the rules:
#1. No open-toed shoes.
#2. No runs, always carry a spare.
#3. No hair. If your legs are hairy, please wear proper tights & spare the rest of us from having to view your smashed-up leg hair.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/06/03
Posts: 1175

"The Great Vagina" wrote:

I have to say that I love Tim Gunn, but I completely disagree with him here. I think nylons are a staple of classy women's wear, whether it be professional or formal attire. Also, why would a woman want to wear stockings that are 3 shades darker than the rest of her skin just so that everybody knows that she's wearing them? It looks odd when gals have brown legs and white arms. You want to match your skin tone or go a shade darker. I don't want people going, "OMG! She's definitely wearing nylons!" So weird. I didn't even know hosiery had officially gone out of style. Can someone let me know when bras aren't "trendy" anymore? I'd like to hit the clearance sales!

I agree! If I'm dressing up I ALWAYS wear nylons. Either sheer or navy or black (depending on what I'm wearing). I don't like bare legs/feet with dressy/professional wear. They're fine for casual... but not dress up.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/24/10
Posts: 208

"Spacers" wrote:

#3. No hair. If your legs are hairy, please wear proper tights & spare the rest of us from having to view your smashed-up leg hair.

Eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!! My mom used to do that and it was so embarrassing! She'd have a bunch of prickly hairs sticking out everywhere!

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/24/10
Posts: 208

"Princess&ThePea" wrote:

I don't like bare legs/feet with dressy/professional wear. They're fine for casual... but not dress up.

Yeah, maybe I'm just an old fogey, but in a professional setting, I think bare legs are a no-no....unless you're wearing a long skirt and high boots and nobody can see your legs anyways.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I'm with Tim Gunn. Tights, patterned tights, black hose etc etc....no nudes. Ever.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

"Potter75" wrote:

I'm with Tim Gunn. Tights, patterned tights, black hose etc etc....no nudes. Ever.

I agree with this as well.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

"Potter75" wrote:

I'm with Tim Gunn. Tights, patterned tights, black hose etc etc....no nudes. Ever.

Agreed.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/06/03
Posts: 1175

"The Great Vagina" wrote:

Yeah, maybe I'm just an old fogey, but in a professional setting, I think bare legs are a no-no....unless you're wearing a long skirt and high boots and nobody can see your legs anyways.

Exactly... and I'm also old fogey-ish enough to add: please... please... PLEASE wear a slip!! Not necessary to see everything you're wearing/not wearing under the skirt... some things are better left to the imagination! Basically, unless it's denim/denim-thickness it's a must... I sometimes even wear one with a jean skirt because I find it tends to "hang" better.

I'm also in the do NOT wear a black/dark bra with a white/light top! It should not be *that* visible!

GloriaInTX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4229

I don't think bare legs are a problem on someone else but I am so pale that I need to wear them especially in the winter.

The thing that bugs me is the style to show your bra straps that is all in vogue right now.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

Whatever Tim Gunn says about fashion is the LAW! Anyone who doesn't agree should be shackled and whipped.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/24/10
Posts: 208

"culturedmom" wrote:

Whatever Tim Gunn says about fashion is the LAW! Anyone who doesn't agree should be shackled and whipped.

Whip me baby! Biggrin

Kate's legs look sexy in that pic.

culturedmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

Bend over!

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/24/10
Posts: 208

"culturedmom" wrote:

Bend over!

Not after that stir fry I ate for lunch. ROFL

Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

"Potter75" wrote:

I'm with Tim Gunn. Tights, patterned tights, black hose etc etc....no nudes. Ever.

Agreed! And bare legs are fine in a professional setting as well, at least in my circle.

Gloria I agree with you on the bra straps. Maybe if I had dainty bras I would feel differently.

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I like them. I usually don't wear them, but if I had a civilian job I would. I do have to start wearing them every monday because of the maternity uniform but that's not about fashion. I think they make an outfit look classier. Just a smidge, but still classier.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/22/06
Posts: 1033

"Potter75" wrote:

I'm with Tim Gunn. Tights, patterned tights, black hose etc etc....no nudes. Ever.

Ditto. The 70s bronze hose ruined it for me. Not attractive. Plus, so uncomfortable. Tights at least serve a purpose (a little added warmth when it's cooler). I think Kate looks fine in the picture, but so does the First Lady...at least the First Lady is more comfortable!

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

Yeah, I'm not a fan of pantyhose. I wore enough of it as a teen to church, so maybe that's why I hate it.

I'm a bare legger, or tights in winter.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

I totally prefer bare legs, but I also never, ever, ever dress up the way Kate does. I do think her sheer nylons look classier, with those sorts of outfits, then bare legs do. I don't think tights or darker colors would look as polished.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

I went to a conservative Christian college and they were required. After a few years of wearing them EVERY. SINGLE. DAY I just might not ever wear them again. That said, I do think they look nicer than bare legs. I typically wear long skirts though and you can't see my legs.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Agreed! And bare legs are fine in a professional setting as well, at least in my circle.

Gloria I agree with you on the bra straps. Maybe if I had dainty bras I would feel differently.

Please describe a dainty bra?!?!?!? Over the shoulder boulder holders? That's all I've known...

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

"wlillie" wrote:

I like them. I usually don't wear them, but if I had a civilian job I would. I do have to start wearing them every monday because of the maternity uniform but that's not about fashion. I think they make an outfit look classier. Just a smidge, but still classier.

Why Mondays?

fuchsiasky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 959

I hate pantyhose with a passion! So uncomfortable! I wear tights in the winter cause I have to but as soon as it gets warm enough I go bare legged.

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

We wear our dress uniform on Mondays and our ABU's every other day. Talk about Fashion. Wink
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3Ft5qpenNUU/S56igZjVWoI/AAAAAAAAADA/54WxL5FUg-g/s1600-h/Maternity+Jumper.jpg

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

I'm not a fan of panty hose. It's too hot for it in the summer, and it starts to stink really bad from trapped sweat. Ugh.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"wlillie" wrote:

We wear our dress uniform on Mondays and our ABU's every other day. Talk about Fashion. Wink
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3Ft5qpenNUU/S56igZjVWoI/AAAAAAAAADA/54WxL5FUg-g/s1600-h/Maternity+Jumper.jpg

Is it mean that I am giggling that you are going to have to wear that once a week? Biggrin

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

No, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't want you guys to enjoy the beauty of our uniforms. Some traditions just aren't cool.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"wlillie" wrote:

We wear our dress uniform on Mondays and our ABU's every other day. Talk about Fashion. Wink
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3Ft5qpenNUU/S56igZjVWoI/AAAAAAAAADA/54WxL5FUg-g/s1600-h/Maternity+Jumper.jpg

Maternity uniforms... The height of fashion Smile

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/24/10
Posts: 208

"wlillie" wrote:

We wear our dress uniform on Mondays and our ABU's every other day. Talk about Fashion. Wink
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3Ft5qpenNUU/S56igZjVWoI/AAAAAAAAADA/54WxL5FUg-g/s1600-h/Maternity+Jumper.jpg

OMG! That is terrible! Where'd they get those? Tents-R-Us?

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"wlillie" wrote:

We wear our dress uniform on Mondays and our ABU's every other day. Talk about Fashion. Wink
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3Ft5qpenNUU/S56igZjVWoI/AAAAAAAAADA/54WxL5FUg-g/s1600-h/Maternity+Jumper.jpg

Oh Lillie this is just awful! Is the military trying to threaten our female members out of pregnancies???? ROFL

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/22/06
Posts: 1033

Oh my. That is one dressy jumper, Lillie! Hey, at least it looks comfy (aside from pantyhose) if it has to be so hideous. Smile

boilermaker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/21/02
Posts: 1984

Eh-- I don't mind nude hose. I think in some situations, it is more appropriate than bare legs. I have to dress up a lot for work....and I think that when meeting with certain clients they are required (think men in their 60's and 70's who are CEOs and presidents.....) I always err on the side of conservative.

I think Kate looks great there.

And I totally agree on the slips issue-- more women need to wear slips. And though completely uncomfy, control top nylons help nearly every woman look a bit slimmer and smoother IMO....clothes hang better. Though this could be accomplished with dark or black nylons, too.

elleon17's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

"Spacers" wrote:

I think pantyhose are fine if you follow the rules:
#1. No open-toed shoes.
#2. No runs, always carry a spare.
#3. No hair. If your legs are hairy, please wear proper tights & spare the rest of us from having to view your smashed-up leg hair.

Absolutely Agree!

I hardly every wear nylons, but I live in florida. I had to wear them everyday when i worked at Disney and that was miserable. Down here, they are very rare to see. I do LOVE tights though. When its cool enough outside, bring on the black tights with a cute outfit!

elleon17's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

I looked at the pic of kate and I wouldn't have noticed she even had nylons on at all!

Also, I support the revival of slips too! I wear them for no panty lines and also, they make me feel so feminine. My over teh shoulder boulder holders are not the sexiest and the slip makes me feel a bit sexy undressing while talking to DF. Wink

FLSunshineMom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"Spacers" wrote:

I think pantyhose are fine if you follow the rules:
#1. No open-toed shoes.
#2. No runs, always carry a spare.
#3. No hair. If your legs are hairy, please wear proper tights & spare the rest of us from having to view your smashed-up leg hair.

LOL @ #3 Lol (And I agree with all of the above)

"The Great Vagina" wrote:

Not after that stir fry I ate for lunch. ROFL

:biglaugh:

"The Great Vagina" wrote:

OMG! That is terrible! Where'd they get those? Tents-R-Us?

Tents-R-Us. Love it! ROFL

I don't like wearing hose, but with my freckled legs, they are a MUST. Lol That being said, I rarely wear Nude. I prefer to wear tan or beige. I hope I don't look funny with tanner legs than my arms? I have freckles, though, so maybe that balances it out. Then again, DH would tell me if it looked funny. Trust me. Smile

So glad that now I mostly only have to wear hose on Sundays to church, and even then, half the time I will wear slacks or nice jeans.

wlillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I'm usually pretty photogenic, but this outfit mixed with the lighting and the rain and the gym this morning have me pretty much at my worst. Enjoy. Oh, and Kate's insane for wearing pantyhose if she doens't have to. I swear it adds anohter 2 minutes to each bathroom trip which really adds up during the day.

Tent'R'Us is right. I sit on a balance ball and the whole thing easily could have been hidden under this atrocity.

eta-That's the X-small. The next size up from that was a XXL. Huh.

FLSunshineMom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 06/07/06
Posts: 3859

"wlillie" wrote:

I'm usually pretty photogenic, but this outfit mixed with the lighting and the rain and the gym this morning have me pretty much at my worst. Enjoy. Oh, and Kate's insane for wearing pantyhose if she doens't have to. I swear it adds anohter 2 minutes to each bathroom trip which really adds up during the day.

Tent'R'Us is right. I sit on a balance ball and the whole thing easily could have been hidden under this atrocity.

eta-That's the X-small. The next size up from that was a XXL. Huh.

You look great. The 'tent' on the other hand.... *giggle*

In all seriousness, though, it doesn't look that bad. I've seen worse.

ClairesMommy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I like wearing skirts to work and hellz no, I wouldn't go bare-legged in the winter. I usually wear black nylons or tights when I wear skirts or dresses that look good with black hosiery, but if I'm wearing anything except grey or black I wear nude nylons. Bare legs around this place in the winter would raise eyebrows, not just from an 'office dress code' point of view, but also because people would think you're nuts for exposing flesh to -30 or more temps. Not that nylons do a heck of a lot when it's that cold, but you KWIM. Kate looks hot. Dang, she'd be really skinny if you met her in real life!

elleon17's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

"Claire'sMommy" wrote:

Kate looks hot. Dang, she'd be really skinny if you met her in real life!

She looks so thin! Almost Nancy Reagan thin, but she is so beautiful and I LOVE her hair.

RebeccaA'07's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

I loathe panty hose and would much rather bare leg it - it is more common here to wear leggings, patterned tights, or just bare legs. I've never been a dress/skirt gal until this past year, I always had bare legs.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Lillie,
You = beautiful
The Tent = Oh my.

Biggrin I'm going to stop giggling about that monstrocity any moment now. I swear. Any time now. Biggrin

Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Lillie,
You = beautiful
The Tent = Oh my.

Biggrin I'm going to stop giggling about that monstrocity any moment now. I swear. Any time now. Biggrin

My thoughts exactly! Wowza!