Pay raises in Washington
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pay raises in Washington

  1. #1
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,720

    Default Pay raises in Washington

    Obama Orders Pay Raise for Biden, Members of Congress, Federal Workers | The Weekly Standard

    Do you think that now is an appropriate time for Washington to be passing out raises for people working in these positions?

    ~Bonita~

  2. #2
    Posting Addict boilermaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Rocky Mtns.
    Posts
    19,380

    Default

    Sure. Those are not high salaries at all IMO. It truly is public SERVICE without much compensation for the crap that they put up with.

    A pay raise of 1/2 of 1%? Not much, really, for the work that they do.
    smsturner likes this.
    Audra
    DH Trey
    DD 8.03, DD 6.05, DS 3.07, DD 5.09, and DS arrived 6.17.12
    www.mamaginger.com

  3. #3
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    He'd just better be careful to not bump them over $250k~! Because then they would be RICH! And then they would get screwed.

    And yes, I'm being ironic, because no one making 250K and living on the hill or in arlington or most any reasonably desirable part of DC (or the Northeast, for that matter) is in any way "rich".

    Anyway, I don't really care. The amounts are minuscule.
    Jessica80 likes this.

  4. #4
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    He'd just better be careful to not bump them over $250k~! Because then they would be RICH! And then they would get screwed.
    That is funny.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #5
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,720

    Default

    I am surprised that he chose this time to do raises. There is so much of America that is barely making ends meet. I tried Googling the average median income in the US and got several different answers, but each website I looked at said less then a third of that these people are making.

    I do not have a problem with some people making more than others. I think that is just the way it is, but it does strike me as odd in the administrations "Take from the Haves, and give to the Have Nots" attitude, that they would be giving more to the top earners.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #6
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    Sure. Those are not high salaries at all IMO. It truly is public SERVICE without much compensation for the crap that they put up with.

    A pay raise of 1/2 of 1%? Not much, really, for the work that they do.
    Basic pay of a US soldier - Army Base Pay and Basic Pay Chart | GoArmy.com

    Average pay of a Police Officer - Police Patrol Officer Salary - Salary.com

    Average pay of a Teacher - Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

    Average pay of a person in Congress - US Congress Salaries and Benefits

    I apologize for not having the best links, but I think they give the jest of an what these workers make. I do not think a congress member's job is any more/less of a service than these other professions.

    ~Bonita~

  7. #7
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,222

    Default

    So what about people in the private sector? I got a raise this year and last as well as a cost of living increase this year on top of my raise. Should I not get a raise because someone else isn't?

    Even in my job I got a higher raise than most in my dept. because I worked super hard last year and I rock at what I do. Should I not get a bigger raise because someone else got a smaller one?

  8. #8
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post

    And yes, I'm being ironic, because no one making 250K and living on the hill or in arlington or most any reasonably desirable part of DC (or the Northeast, for that matter) is in any .
    This was exactly what I said in a recent tax hike debate here. The cost of living is so variable depending n which part of the country you live in.

    But as to the debate, I am not sure as I do not know what their salaries are.
    Aisha

  9. #9
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    So what about people in the private sector? I got a raise this year and last as well as a cost of living increase this year on top of my raise. Should I not get a raise because someone else isn't?

    Even in my job I got a higher raise than most in my dept. because I worked super hard last year and I rock at what I do. Should I not get a bigger raise because someone else got a smaller one?
    But raises at private companies have to do with the profits earned by those companies. That's what makes it different.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  10. #10
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Basic pay of a US soldier - Army Base Pay and Basic Pay Chart | GoArmy.com

    Average pay of a Police Officer - Police Patrol Officer Salary - Salary.com

    Average pay of a Teacher - Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

    Average pay of a person in Congress - US Congress Salaries and Benefits

    I apologize for not having the best links, but I think they give the jest of an what these workers make. I do not think a congress member's job is any more/less of a service than these other professions.
    Well, their pay scale argues that the bulk of Americans disagree with you, as what we pay them says we value their role and experience enough to pay them significantly more.

    Since all of these are public, if, say, a teacher wanted to get paid what a congress person did, they should have run for congress. Teachers in our state have gotten raises, as have police officers, etc etc etc. You also can't just post their salaries without also posting their average educations, tenure, etc etc. Its silly to act as though the average Senator has a similar job and should have similar pay as the average teacher similar because they both are "public servants". That would be like arguing that since a secretary and a CEO both work for a publicly traded corporation they ought to have similar compensation. Not so.
    Sapphire Sunsets likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions