Pay To Stay Prisons

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
Pay To Stay Prisons

California prison offering inmates $150 nightly 'Pay to Stay' rates

Some prisons are now offering nicer accommodations for prisoners who are able to pay the $150 per night fee. The pros of this is that it makes the prison money. The cons (no pun intended) is that people are arguing that rich prisoners are getting preferential treatment. Also, it seems to kind of go against the spirit of jail if you can upgrade to better digs?

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

California prison offering inmates $150 nightly 'Pay to Stay' rates

Some prisons are now offering nicer accommodations for prisoners who are able to pay the $150 per night fee. The pros of this is that it makes the prison money. The cons (no pun intended) is that people are arguing that rich prisoners are getting preferential treatment. Also, it seems to kind of go against the spirit of jail if you can upgrade to better digs?

Yeah, this is the camp I'm in. It's JAIL. It's not supposed to have turn-down service.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

California prison offering inmates $150 nightly 'Pay to Stay' rates

Some prisons are now offering nicer accommodations for prisoners who are able to pay the $150 per night fee. The pros of this is that it makes the prison money. The cons (no pun intended) is that people are arguing that rich prisoners are getting preferential treatment. Also, it seems to kind of go against the spirit of jail if you can upgrade to better digs?

No No and Absolutely NOT. What are we a 3rd world country now where rich people can pay bribes? This is wrong on so many levels, the only thing that doesn't surprise me is that it is California.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

Absolutely not.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I don't agree. It definitely is only for those that are wealthier and that's not how it should be.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

This is why I am opposed to privatizing certain "services" such as jails. Since it is a private company, of course they are trying to think of ways to make more money. I think it's complete crap.

Danifo's picture
Joined: 09/07/10
Posts: 1377

This reminds me of one of my friend's dads who was convicted of improper accounting procedures. Part of his punishment was community service and his lawyer asked if he could do the accounting for some non-profit groups. Right. As my friend said "that is why he is there!" He ended up being assigned cleaning soup kitchens.

I don't like the idea of paying for prison. However, in some situations, I don't have a problem with house arrest and I guess in that case, they would be paying for their own prison.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

I hate the idea.. I think everyone should have to pay.. either family members pay.. or they work off their stay! They should not only pay to stay but pay the victims for the crimes the committed when they are crimes like theft. And not just the cost of what they stole but a multiple.. I am a huge advocate for criminal work crews. Here they cut wood and the wood is sold to low income people.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Rivergallery" wrote:

I hate the idea.. I think everyone should have to pay.. either family members pay.. or they work off their stay! They should not only pay to stay but pay the victims for the crimes the committed when they are crimes like theft. And not just the cost of what they stole but a multiple.. I am a huge advocate for criminal work crews. Here they cut wood and the wood is sold to low income people.

I would be very against forcing someone's family members to pay for someone else's crime.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I would be very against forcing someone's family members to pay for someone else's crime.

Force the criminal to work then Smile