Pizza Shop Owner Gets Negative Reviews for Hugging President - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pizza Shop Owner Gets Negative Reviews for Hugging President

  1. #11
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,553

    Default

    Don't you think George Bush was polarizing?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  2. #12
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Don't you think George Bush was polarizing?
    I don't think George Bush purposely gloated over winning and pushed away the other party as Obama has. When the Democrats controlled the house for his first 2 years he made NO attempt at bipartisanship he rammed through as much as he possibly could without even consulting the other party, after running on promises of transparency and bipartisanship.

    He said Republicans had driven the economy into a ditch and then stood by and criticized while Democrats pulled it out. Now that progress has been made, he said, “we can’t have special interests sitting shotgun. We gotta have middle class families up in front. We don’t mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back.”
    Mr. Obama did voice opinion on some differences on the issue of whether the lowest individual tax rates should be cut from 15 percent to 10 percent and from 10 percent to 5 percent.

    As the president, he had told Kyl after the Arizonan raised objections to the notion of a tax credit for people who don’t pay income taxes, Obama told Cantor this morning that "on some of these issues we’re just going to have ideological differences."

    The president added, "I won. So I think on that one, I trump you."
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #13
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    While I think the President deserves respect no matter who he is, I think that Obama has brought some of this on himself. He is the most polarizing president in 60 years, and some of the things he says come across as very arrogant. He has made no attempt to work across the aisle in a bipartisan way.

    Obama: The most polarizing president. Ever. - The Washington Post
    I don't get how they can say that Obama is "the most polarizing president. ever" when G.W. Bush had three consecutive years in which the partisan disparity of his job approval was at 70 points or higher. Obama hasn't reached that level once, much less maintained it for three years.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  4. #14
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I was reading more about it, and I guess part of the reason the President was there was to honor the guy for doing a ton of charity work in his community, which would be even more of an honor, to be personally recognized by the President for your good works.

    This dude had every right to be happy and proud to meet the President, and I think it takes a special kind of hater to resent him for that and want to ruin his business reviews on Yelp over it. Extremely petty...
    This is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by mommydearest View Post
    I just went over to Yelp - the owner has over 1300 reviews, and thanks to people coming out in support for him he's up to 5 stars again!
    Yeah!

    However, this is absolutely NO different than the Chick Fil A issue. At all. People don't like the actions/politics/beliefs of the owner of a restaurant and attacked his business because of it. At least no one seems to be going to the pizza guy's restaurant and spewing hatred at his employees.

  5. #15
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    I don't get how they can say that Obama is "the most polarizing president. ever" when G.W. Bush had three consecutive years in which the partisan disparity of his job approval was at 70 points or higher. Obama hasn't reached that level once, much less maintained it for three years.
    Bush has an average of 61 points because the disparity was low his first few years in office, his first year he was at 44. Obama started out at 65 his first year in office and it has gone up. If he is re-elected I really doubt it will ever go down. That makes him the most polarizing president ever.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #16
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,537

    Default

    That says more to me about how cynical we've become as a nation than how "polarizing" the President is. If something isn't how we like it, we have to hate it; we can't seem to simply not-like anything anymore.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  7. #17
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    That says more to me about how cynical we've become as a nation than how "polarizing" the President is. If something isn't how we like it, we have to hate it; we can't seem to simply not-like anything anymore.
    I disagree. I think the arrogant statements Obama has made and his class warfare attitude has a lot to do with it.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  8. #18
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Lillie, you really don't think that there is any difference between actively contributing money to lobby against a group of your fellow citizens, and giving the President a hug? Giving the President (any President) a hug seems so non-political to me.

    True story, on the day of Obama's inaugeration, I remember the camera zooming in Bush, and he looked so old and sad. Like it had been way longer than 8 years since he was inaugerated himself. Trust me, I was no fan of Bush's, but looking at him, it was clear that the last 8 years had taken their toll, and it was easy to imagine that he had had to make a lot of really hard decisions that probably still make him wonder if he did the right thing. I totally could have given him a hug that day, and I'd give him a hug if I ever saw him now (assuming you're even allowed to hug him, and his body guards wouldn't shoot you...lol) He was the President, and that deserves respect even though I disagreed with him. He's also a fellow human being, which makes him huggable. It's not political.
    Jessica80 likes this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  9. #19
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    That says more to me about how cynical we've become as a nation than how "polarizing" the President is. If something isn't how we like it, we have to hate it; we can't seem to simply not-like anything anymore.
    ITA with this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  10. #20
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Lillie, you really don't think that there is any difference between actively contributing money to lobby against a group of your fellow citizens, and giving the President a hug? Giving the President (any President) a hug seems so non-political to me.

    True story, on the day of Obama's inaugeration, I remember the camera zooming in Bush, and he looked so old and sad. Like it had been way longer than 8 years since he was inaugerated himself. Trust me, I was no fan of Bush's, but looking at him, it was clear that the last 8 years had taken their toll, and it was easy to imagine that he had had to make a lot of really hard decisions that probably still make him wonder if he did the right thing. I totally could have given him a hug that day, and I'd give him a hug if I ever saw him now (assuming you're even allowed to hug him, and his body guards wouldn't shoot you...lol) He was the President, and that deserves respect even though I disagreed with him. He's also a fellow human being, which makes him huggable. It's not political.
    THIS! 1000x THIS!
    It's not even close to the Chik fil A issue. I take issue with how they spend their business money and what groups they support and refuse to give them my money to spend on those causes. If I saw the owner sitting in the lobby of my building crying...I would hug him. Absolutely .

    I would have hugged GB too. I like to hug.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions