Romney

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6698
Romney

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/romney-calls-morning-after-pills-abortive-says-right-to-worship-god-is-necessity/

So I was just reading on ABCnews.com that Romney said the Morning after pill is the abortion pill and was wondering was all of you thought of that. For those of you that support him, will this change your opinion?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Mitt Romney believes in magical undergarments and is not a Dr. I don't care what he calls it, I don't care if he calls it a murder pill.....I won't vote for him because he seeks to take away women's rights. That is great that his family is incredibly wealthy and his wife wants to be a breeder to serve God, but not all of us believe that that is a responsible course of action. We have already had the debate on the morning after pill, you were the person who was very unclear on how it worked, correct?

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I was like 'meh' over his abortive statement and more interested in the rest of what he said. Actually, not particularly interested, just a bit gobsmacked that people like this actually run in elections and spew such crap. IDK. When we have elections up here it just never goes there. Our politicians pretty much keep it about politics and talking about religion is practically unheard of as part of a political platform. Of course, we have a completely different electoral system, where we vote for the party and not the person. Maybe that's why we just don't get the smear campaigns you guys do in the US.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6698

"Potter75" wrote:

We have already had the debate on the morning after pill, you were the person who was very unclear on how it worked, correct?

Correct. I was wondering if this changed anyone's opinion of him. I already knew some did not like him and most were in support of the morning after pill.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Correct. I was wondering if this changed anyone's opinion of him. I already knew some did not like him and most were in support of the morning after pill.

As stated, his opinions on medical issues hold no weight with me, I find his statement uneducated. George Carlin was a lot more informed on the reality of the situation than Mitt is Smile

This contains bad language, do not watch if bad language offends you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZijLQGH1v0&feature=share

As an aside I got to see Romney last weekend in Naples. Fascinating crowd. Fascinating.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

I'll just save my breath & fingers and agree with everything Melissa has said or will say in this debate. Blum 3

RebeccaA'07's picture
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

He's forcing his personal views on everyone else; I don't take his "medical" advice to heart, because he's not a doctor. I think he's a tool and I won't vote for him.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

"Spacers" wrote:

I'll just save my breath & fingers and agree with everything Melissa has said or will say in this debate. Blum 3

Haha me too!

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I think it's ridiculous that anyone anymore thinks that the morning after pill is an abortion pill... whether they're Democrat or Republican... as it's been said time and time again that it's not. He's not my choice out of the Republican candidates, but if he gets the nomination, I'll vote for him all day long over Obama... but that's a different debate lol.

Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 1346

"Starryblue702" wrote:

I think it's ridiculous that anyone anymore thinks that the morning after pill is an abortion pill

I will probably regret dipping my toe in here...

The morning after pill can cause a chemical abortion which therefore does make it an abortion pill. The morning after pill either delays ovulation or prevents ovulation. It also irritates the lining of the uterus which prevents a fertilized egg from implanting if ovulation already occurred which by definition is a chemical abortion. None of that is debatable. It's not left wing or right wing. It's just the way the pill works.

Doesn't change my opinion of Romney one way or the other. He's a career politician and will say whatever he thinks is needed to win the nomination. Just like Obama. But like Krystal said, that's a whole nother can of worms!!

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

"Carolyn85" wrote:

I will probably regret dipping my toe in here...

The morning after pill can cause a chemical abortion which therefore does make it an abortion pill. The morning after pill either delays ovulation or prevents ovulation. It also irritates the lining of the uterus which prevents a fertilized egg from implanting if ovulation already occurred which by definition is a chemical abortion. None of that is debatable. It's not left wing or right wing. It's just the way the pill works.

Doesn't change my opinion of Romney one way or the other. He's a career politician and will say whatever he thinks is needed to win the nomination. Just like Obama. But like Krystal said, that's a whole nother can of worms!!

Hi Carolyn!!! Thanks for the info... they say clearly on the commercial that it's NOT an abortion pill. I guess that will teach me to take the pharmecutical company's word lol...

Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 1346

Krystal, I think they can get around calling it an abortion pill because it supposedly will not disrupt pregnancy AFTER implantation. Its main purpose is to prevent ovulation, not to cause abortion. But the kicker is that it will prevent a fertilized egg from implanting and it will therefore die.

The "Abortion Pill" is classically RU486, so plan B is not "THE" abortion pill, but it is "a" abortion pill in the case of an egg already fertilized by making the uterus a hostile environment where it can't implant. Tricky eh?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Carolyn85" wrote:

Krystal, I think they can get around calling it an abortion pill because it supposedly will not disrupt pregnancy AFTER implantation. Its main purpose is to prevent ovulation, not to cause abortion. But the kicker is that it will prevent a fertilized egg from implanting and it will therefore die.

The "Abortion Pill" is classically RU486, so plan B is not "THE" abortion pill, but it is "a" abortion pill in the case of an egg already fertilized by making the uterus a hostile environment where it can't implant. Tricky eh?

I presume that you view the birth control pill as abortion as well, right? Because they act the exact same way? So you would accuse women who use the BCP as theoretically having monthly abortions?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Starryblue702" wrote:

Hi Carolyn!!! Thanks for the info... they say clearly on the commercial that it's NOT an abortion pill. I guess that will teach me to take the pharmecutical company's word lol...

Well.....you can take the pharmaceutical companies word OR the word of those who abhor all birth control and believe that women are meant to be baby bearing vessels for the glory of the kingdom.

Personally, I will happily side with science vs. religion and anti-feminism on this one.

Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 1346

"Potter75" wrote:

I presume that you view the birth control pill as abortion as well, right? Because they act the exact same way? So you would accuse women who use the BCP as theoretically having monthly abortions?

no, plan b has a much higher hormone level, its not the same as usual bcp. Back in the 60's bcp had much higher levels of hormones and at that time were more similar to plan b. Soon they realized the hormone level didn't need to be nearly so high to suppress ovulation.
Todays bcp is much different than plan b. I wouldn't consider them they same at all.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Carolyn85" wrote:

no, plan b has a much higher hormone level, its not the same as usual bcp. Back in the 60's bcp had much higher levels of hormones and at that time were more similar to plan b. Soon they realized the hormone level didn't need to be nearly so high to suppress ovulation.
Todays bcp is much different than plan b. I wouldn't consider them they same at all.

They act in the exact same way, utilizing the exact same hormones. Their primary, secondary, and tertiary functions are identical, so it is illogical to not consider them the same. Because I can't trot out the same educational info a second time ~ here is a more info on what it is and how it works http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboards/showthread.php?685255-Plan-B-Should-it-be-on-the-shelves

Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 1346

I still can't understand why you would think plan b and regular birth control pills are the same? They may contain similar hormones but the doseages are astronomically different. Normal 4 week packs do not have the ability to tamper with an already fertilized egg. They just simply are strong enough. To say someone on normal bcp is having a monthly abortion is the most rediculas thing I have ever heard. both types of pills can stop ovulation, but only plan b interferes with implantation of already fertilized egg which makes it different than regular bcp

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

You are wrong. I don't know what else to tell you. Research the BCP more, if you like. The tertiary function of BC is to make an inhospitable uterine lining.....preventing implantation. Just like plan B. Call it ridiculous if you like, but your view is inconsistent. If you think that taking plan b is an "abortion pill" you MUST, logically, view BCP as abortive. Again, I urge you to educate yourself more on the way both work, because you are incorrect. I view neither as abortion, which is logical and cohesive. To call BCP non abortive and the MAP abortive is inconsistent, no way around it.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

To quote myself from the debate I linked you to:

Secondary Methods
The hormones in ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN® LO also cause changes in the body that help prevent pregnancy.
Taking the Pill causes the lining of the uterus to change, which makes it hard for an egg to
be implanted.
• It also thickens mucus around the cervix—making it difficult for sperm to reach the egg.

Now, you may indeed know more than the actual drug manufacturer........but when you say that the BCP can't "tamper" with a fertilized egg.........you are wrong. It can and does, by making implantation impossible in a case where it did not prohibit ovulation, the cervical mucous wasn't thick enough to block sperm, and fertilization happened.