Ruffled Feathers Over Duck Dynasty - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 137
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Ruffled Feathers Over Duck Dynasty

  1. #11
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I always think the tolerance argument is silly. If not being willing to look the other way when people are bullying an oppressed minority makes me "intolerant" then I'll wear that badge proudly.
    You should not either be able to bully someone out of having an opinion even if you think that opinion is wrong.

    ~Bonita~

  2. #12
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,852

    Default

    Let's give the topic a different issue. Say it is politically correct to believe everyone should carry a gun. Would it be right (right, not legal) would it be fair if any time you sated your opinion publicly you lost your job or were blackballed? Or if you lived back in the day that it was not politically correct to believe in interracial marriage, speaking up against it or believing it could get make you loose your job and really cramp your future. Right now public opinion is on your side with this issue, but do you really want it to be that any time you have a non politically correct opinion you are black balled? Because there is going to come a time when you have an opinion that is not politically correct.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #13
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    Say I was against guns (and I pretty much am) and I was working as a salesperson for a gun manufacturer (say Smith and Wesson) and I go around saying how dangerous they can be. S&W has every right to fire me for hurting their business. A&E feels this hurts their business.

    I can't say whatever I want at work. It's my opinion that some of the people I deal with are snotty jerks but if I said that to them I would be, at the very least, written up if not fired. It's not without repercussions.
    Alissa_Sal likes this.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  4. #14
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    Say I was against guns (and I pretty much am) and I was working as a salesperson for a gun manufacturer (say Smith and Wesson) and I go around saying how dangerous they can be. S&W has every right to fire me for hurting their business. A&E feels this hurts their business.

    I can't say whatever I want at work. It's my opinion that some of the people I deal with are snotty jerks but if I said that to them I would be, at the very least, written up if not fired. It's not without repercussions.
    If you read back, I did say A&E can fire whoever they want. My point is, that you might not think it was so great to black ball anyone who is against homosexuality, but I am sure you would feel differently if it was a different topic. For example if A&E was firing someone for speaking in favour of homosexuality. Not that it is illegal, but that it is a jerky thing to do. I also do not think it is going to be smart business. I do not have any hard facts, but I think it will hurt the show and A&E.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #15
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Have any of you read the full article?

    I was offended by what he said at first until our friends from church brought over the actual article, and then explained why they are not offended (they are a gay couple) Still not sure how I feel about what he said, his manner of speech is hard to understand anyways, and this article is a little all over the place. I will say for sure that the media has copied and pasted the quotes out of context.
    Rivergallery likes this.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  6. #16
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,666

    Default

    I knew I'd find this topic here!

    Here's what I think: I think the whole reason they hired him, the reason that show is successful, is because of who the Robertsons are. His views can not possibly be a surprise to A&E. The Robertsons are speaking and preaching in churches all over the country these days.

    They can't fire him anyway, he's a member of the family and THEY'RE not firing him. So how are they going to shoot around that? It's his home!

    And bottom line, all A&E had to do was to hold tight to their cash cow and distance themselves not from him, but from his opinion. They can tell the world that they think he's wrong and that they don't agree, and they can keep those views off the air. But all this uproar is silly and they way overreacted. Who is surprised by this opinion? They're billionaire rednecks, that's how the show is billed.

    So I think it was silly of them to claim that he's suspended from filming, he's all over the new season anyway. It doesn't mean anything. By the time the new season airs (after the one coming that's already shot & edited) this will have died down.

    Bad choice of a reaction. Dumb business move. These guys are making a ridiculous amount of money for that network and the reason they're popular is precisely because of who they are!
    GloriaInTX likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #17
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    You should not either be able to bully someone out of having an opinion even if you think that opinion is wrong.
    I don't even know what "bully someone out of having an opinion" means in the context of this debate.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  8. #18
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Let's give the topic a different issue. Say it is politically correct to believe everyone should carry a gun. Would it be right (right, not legal) would it be fair if any time you sated your opinion publicly you lost your job or were blackballed? Or if you lived back in the day that it was not politically correct to believe in interracial marriage, speaking up against it or believing it could get make you loose your job and really cramp your future. Right now public opinion is on your side with this issue, but do you really want it to be that any time you have a non politically correct opinion you are black balled? Because there is going to come a time when you have an opinion that is not politically correct.
    I would say that politically correct or not, there is a big difference between standing up for people and standing against people. I don't care whether his opinion is popular. Certainly I harbor some unpopular opinions myself (try being no religious in this country sometime!) But if I went around being rude about other groups of people who are just trying to live their lives and have the same rights as anyone else (ex. "Christians are stupid and bad!" - not my real opinion, btw) then people would treat me like a jerk, and rightly so, because I would be acting like a jerk!

    eta: When I first began supporting gay marriage, the majority of Americans were against it. It's not about what is popular or "politically correct." It's about what is right.
    Last edited by Alissa_Sal; 12-21-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  9. #19
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    It's about what is right.
    It is about what "You" think is right.

    However, the people will be the ones who decide because they either will continue to watch the show or they will not in this situation. I do not however, think there is a difference between being fired for saying you believe homosexuality is wrong and being fired for saying you do not believe in Christianity. Both are being fired for a belief.

    ~Bonita~

  10. #20
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    It is about what "You" think is right.

    However, the people will be the ones who decide because they either will continue to watch the show or they will not in this situation. I do not however, think there is a difference between being fired for saying you believe homosexuality is wrong and being fired for saying you do not believe in Christianity. Both are being fired for a belief.
    The majority of people who watch the show tend to align with the Robertsons' beliefs....they'll keep watching. And he's not bullied, or fired, or any of those things.

    He did say some really awful things and the smart thing for A&E to do is to distance themselves from his opinions, clearly and strongly. But he's a redneck hick! That's his thing! Of course he is bigoted when it comes to homosexuality. He said ridiculous things about black people too! (I figured the Jews were next but it didn't come up.) He's not a sophisticated person. That's why he's so popular. Still, people relate to his family because they really are a loving group who care about each other and are who they are, no matter how silly the plots of the show get. Again, I don't understand how A&E could have been surprised by any of this. I used to work there and they all knew he was a hick.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions