Ruffled Feathers Over Duck Dynasty - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 137
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Ruffled Feathers Over Duck Dynasty

  1. #21
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    It is about what "You" think is right.

    However, the people will be the ones who decide because they either will continue to watch the show or they will not in this situation. I do not however, think there is a difference between being fired for saying you believe homosexuality is wrong and being fired for saying you do not believe in Christianity. Both are being fired for a belief.
    No, they are different. I am not attacking anyone else by simply saying that I don't believe in Christianity. I'm not insulting my company's customers. If he simply said that he was a Christian and got fired for it, that would be wrong. That's not what happened.

    And history is going to be on my side Bonita. Just like how the vast majority of people now disagree with Jim Crow laws (but not this guy, apparently! He didn't JUST say terrible things about gay people, he also said black people were happier under Jim Crow!!!!) some day the vast majority of people will support equal rights for gay people, because that is the only position that is kind, and logical, and fair. Try to make a coherent argument about how it is fair to deny any group equal rights in this country. It doesn't work. That's not "just my opinion."

    Laurie- I get what you're saying, and maybe it is a dumb business move on their part (and ultimately an empty gesture if they were done filming anyway!)
    Last edited by Alissa_Sal; 12-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  2. #22
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    No, they are different. I am not attacking anyone else by simply saying that I don't believe in Christianity. I'm not insulting my company's customers. If he simply said that he was a Christian and got fired for it, that would be wrong. That's not what happened.

    And history is going to be on my side Bonita. Just like how the vast majority of people now disagree with Jim Crow laws (but not this guy, apparently! He didn't JUST say terrible things about gay people, he also said black people were happier under Jim Crow!!!!) some day the vast majority of people will support equal rights for gay people, because that is the only position that is kind, and logical, and fair. Try to make a coherent argument about how it is fair to deny any group equal rights in this country. It doesn't work. That's not "just my opinion."

    Laurie- I get what you're saying, and maybe it is a dumb business move on their part (and ultimately an empty gesture if they were done filming anyway!)
    I agree 100% with everything here. History is definitely going to show that all the anti-gay stuff is bigotry, pure and simple.

    This isn't a religious issue or a freedom of speech issue. It's really a business issue, in terms of what the network decides to do. Otherwise I'm not sure why it matters what Phil Robertson says. He's a self-proclaimed redneck hick, of course he's ignorant when it comes to gays and black people (even though he has a black grandson).
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  3. #23
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    I didn't read a lot of the replies yet because I'm too excited to post, haha.

    Freedom of speech equals freedom of consequences at times. If I was to go picket in front of my place of employment and say that healthcare costs too much and doctor's are money hungry, hell yes I would lose my job (I'm not saying I really think those things, it's just an example). Or if someone in the military says something inapropriate, then they will also suffer consequences. No place of employment should ever tolerate bigotry, and there should never be an excuse for bigotry.

    Didn't he group homosexuals to bestiality as well? Absolutely disgusting. And anyone who can support someone that speaks like that is just as disgusting.

  4. #24
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    No, they are different.
    It is absolutely 100% the same. Most people who say they think homosexuality is wrong believe so because they believe the Bible says it is wrong. That is a religious belief. I am not saying someone can not be fired for stating a religious belief or trying to share it, but that is what it is. It is not at all different from being fired for saying there is no God (also offensive to some people), or any other religious belief.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #25
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Nope, sorry. It's different. Saying I'm an atheist is not an attack on any other group. Clearly, equating gays (or anyone else) to people who have sex with animals or murderers, or any of the gross things he said IS an attack on another group. If I say "Christians are like murderers" I'm attacking them. If I say "I'm not a Christian" I am not. People may be offended that I'm not a Christian, but that's their own deal that they need to work out for themselves. A simple statement of not being a Christian or of being an atheist is not an attack on anyone.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  6. #26
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Nope, sorry. It's different. Saying I'm an atheist is not an attack on any other group. Clearly, equating gays (or anyone else) to people who have sex with animals or murderers, or any of the gross things he said IS an attack on another group. If I say "Christians are like murderers" I'm attacking them. If I say "I'm not a Christian" I am not. People may be offended that I'm not a Christian, but that's their own deal that they need to work out for themselves. A simple statement of not being a Christian or of being an atheist is not an attack on anyone.
    I did not say for being an Atheist, I said for saying you did not believe in God or Christianity. There is no difference in that and in saying you do not believe in Homosexuality.

    ~Bonita~

  7. #27
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I did not say for being an Atheist, I said for saying you did not believe in God or Christianity. There is no difference in that and in saying you do not believe in Homosexuality.
    Being an Atheist means the person doesn't believe God even exists. People who don't believe in homosexuality just don't like it and think it's wrong. They know it exists and happens everyday.

  8. #28
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    Being an Atheist means the person doesn't believe God even exists. People who don't believe in homosexuality just don't like it and think it's wrong. They know it exists and happens everyday.
    They both are beliefs. It is not a debate about weather or not his opinion or beliefs are wrong as I am sure most people believe they are. It is about weather or not you should be fired for expressing your religious or other beliefs. You don't get to say "Well his religious belief is wrong and a bunch of hogwash so he does not get to express it, but my religious beliefs are right so I can."

    ~Bonita~

  9. #29
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    They both are beliefs. It is not a debate about weather or not his opinion or beliefs are wrong as I am sure most people believe they are. It is about weather or not you should be fired for expressing your religious or other beliefs. You don't get to say "Well his religious belief is wrong and a bunch of hogwash so he does not get to express it, but my religious beliefs are right so I can."
    Ok so I'm not religious at all and my beliefs are based on that I believe there should be equal rights for all people and homosexuality is not bestiality. Soooooooo what am I doing? Expressing what?
    Spacers likes this.

  10. #30
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    Ok so I'm not religious at all and my beliefs are based on that I believe there should be equal rights for all people and homosexuality is not bestiality. Soooooooo what am I doing? Expressing what?
    The belief that there is no God is still a belief. It can not be proven factually either way so whether or not you believe in a God is a belief system.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions