Salon/Spa Days for Preteens and Younger
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Salon/Spa Days for Preteens and Younger

  1. #1
    Online Community Director MissyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Rocky Mountain Wanna-be
    Posts
    13,134

    Default Salon/Spa Days for Preteens and Younger

    "Hair-Raising" Trend in Little Girls Frequenting Salons and Spas


    Would you let your daughter get these treatments and if so, which ones? What age is too young? Do you feel this trend sends a negative message to our daughters to focus so much attention on changing/altering their appearance at such young ages?

  2. #2
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,498

    Default

    I am way to cheap to allow my girls to get any of these treatments. I also dont like doing things like spray tanning at that age, maybe later high school, but not at 9 or 10.

    If parents want to spend the money on things like a mani pedi, I dont see that as any different than spending money on a movie or bowling. It is just a way for mom and daughters to spend the day together bonding
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  3. #3
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissyJ View Post
    "Hair-Raising" Trend in Little Girls Frequenting Salons and Spas


    Would you let your daughter get these treatments and if so, which ones? What age is too young? Do you feel this trend sends a negative message to our daughters to focus so much attention on changing/altering their appearance at such young ages?
    Nope, i wouldn't and yes I do respectively. I think the beauty salaon/spa is a wasteful place to spend a lot of money personally. That would not be petty change to me, it would be a significant amount of money and i can think of better places i would want to encourage my kids to spend disposable income at that age.

    Plus i don't think there is anything gained by exposing my kids to all the stuff and chemicals and whatnot used in spa treatments on a regular basis.

    I also don't want my kids at a young age thinking they need to depend on that stuff to look beautiful....encouraging them to do it so often would make that a lot harder.

    So....big fat no from me.

  4. #4
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,382

    Default

    I would not do this with a young child. When I was a kid, if I stayed at my grandparents for the weekend we went to the salon for her "permanent" and I would get a french braid or something. They would do it for free though. I don't believe in plucking and buffing for the elementary age kiddos.
    Mom to E and C

  5. #5
    Posting Addict ange84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    9,139

    Default

    Nothing ott but maybe toenails painted as a birthday treat or something special, maybe being in a bridal party. I remember being in bridal parties when I was young and loved being with the 'ladies' ' having my hair and make up done, which was more like some lip gloss and some swipes with the brushes so i felt the same. Regular spa days, no way, I don't even do that for myself
    Wendy




  6. #6
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,315

    Default

    Last year my then-14YO and I went to the spa at our hotel in Vegas. It was very nice to get messages, mani/pedis, and hang out in the sauna, hot tub, and steam room. It was a gift so I wasn't the one who paid for it. I can't really afford it right now, but I would love to do it again.

    Reading the article though gives me hope that shaving DD2's legs when she turns 9 would be okay. She's really hairy. LOL

    Waxing? Oh, hell no.

    OT: I was watching Hard Core Pawn last night and a woman came in to try to sell her big rig. She needed money to finish school so she could "Wax sack and crack." The image of men going through that...

    Still OT: My 8th grade boys were discussing getting their eyebrows waxed. As in they have a usual person they go to. Really? Why?

  7. #7
    Online Community Director MissyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Rocky Mountain Wanna-be
    Posts
    13,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Nope, i wouldn't and yes I do respectively. I think the beauty salaon/spa is a wasteful place to spend a lot of money personally. That would not be petty change to me, it would be a significant amount of money and i can think of better places i would want to encourage my kids to spend disposable income at that age.

    Plus i don't think there is anything gained by exposing my kids to all the stuff and chemicals and whatnot used in spa treatments on a regular basis.

    I also don't want my kids at a young age thinking they need to depend on that stuff to look beautiful....encouraging them to do it so often would make that a lot harder.

    So....big fat no from me.

    I'll just say "ditto" to Kim's post. Thank you for hitting all my highlights!

  8. #8
    Online Community Director MissyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Rocky Mountain Wanna-be
    Posts
    13,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post

    OT: I was watching Hard Core Pawn last night and a woman came in to try to sell her big rig. She needed money to finish school so she could "Wax sack and crack." The image of men going through that...

    Still OT: My 8th grade boys were discussing getting their eyebrows waxed. As in they have a usual person they go to. Really? Why?
    HOLY cow I live a sheltered life... ROFL

  9. #9
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    [QUOTE=ethanwinfield;8945445]Last year my then-14YO and I went to the spa at our hotel in Vegas. It was very nice to get messages, mani/pedis, and hang out in the sauna, hot tub, and steam room. It was a gift so I wasn't the one who paid for it. I can't really afford it right now, but I would love to do it again.

    Reading the article though gives me hope that shaving DD2's legs when she turns 9 would be okay. She's really hairy. LOL

    Waxing? Oh, hell no.

    OT: I was watching Hard Core Pawn last night and a woman came in to try to sell her big rig. She needed money to finish school so she could "Wax sack and crack." The image of men going through that...

    Still OT: My 8th grade boys were discussing getting their eyebrows waxed. As in they have a usual person they go to. Really? Why?[/QUOTE]
    I remember that some boys were really hairy pretty early on, as in unibrow. That would be kind of embarrassing, and I can see why some boys (and probably girls) at that age want to get rid of the hair in between, although a home wax kit would do the trick quite nicely. If it's going to a salon and getting a wax job the same way women do to have perfectly neat brows, well I think that's excessive. My brother had quite a bit of hair between his brows and I clearly remember him SHAVING them off in highschool. Dude, what were you thinking?

  10. #10
    Posting Addict mom2robbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,822

    Default

    My SIL had her girls (they have 6 of them) start off right away with waxing for their legs instead of shaving when the girls were 12. Pretty sure they did it at home though.

    I don't mind seeing little girls getting pedis, manis not too sure as Robbie's little friends then think they can't get their hands dirty or messy. As for anything else - no.

    My one niece was wearing make up regularly when she was 3 - mascara and everything. What did she have to look forward to? A little lip gloss I am ok with or if it is for a dance performance or something like that.

    I rarely wear make up myself but I love getting pedis.
    Margaret (44)
    Sean (38 )
    Robbie (8 )
    Bailey (April 2, 2011)


    "The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind." Caroline Myss

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions