Satanists to Rally for Rick Scott

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
Satanists to Rally for Rick Scott

Satanists Plan Rally For Rick Scott For His 'Defense Of Religious Liberty'

Florida Governor Rick Scott, who suffers dismal approval ratings, has at least garnered favor with one unlikely group -- Satanists.

On January 25, the members of the Satanic Temple will gather on the steps of Scott's office in Tallahassee as a show of solidarity with the Governor, whom they believe "has shown unwavering fortitude and progressive resolve in his defense of religious liberty," according to a press release.

Specifically, they're referring to Scott's recent approval of Senate Bill 98 that permits school districts to allow students to read inspirational messages of their choosing at assemblies and sporting events. It went into effect on July 12.

"The Satanic Temple embraces the free expression of religion, and Satanists are happy to show their support of Rick Scott who -- particularly with SB 98 -- has reaffirmed our American freedom to practice our faith openly, allowing our Satanic children the freedom to pray in school," the release continues.

The bill dictates that school officials are not permitted to mediate, approve, or participate in these "inspirational messages," which expand upon the two minutes of silence for quiet prayer or mediation previously observed in Florida public schools.

Although the word "prayer" was axed from early drafts of the bill, the legislation was largely seen as a way to sneak religion back into schools.

Backers of the bill, who likely didn't have the Satanic Temple in mind, might be surprised at the group's tenets, which include a dedication to American patriotism, the golden rule, compassion, as well as family values, according to their web site.

The groups states that while they support separation of church and state in that it protects freedom of religion, they also note that "secular authority devoid of religious guidance is an abomination, and secular authorities should not be inhibited from receiving religious guidance regarding issues of serious moral and society-wide spiritual import."

So where does Satan come in? The temple believes he is "God's proxy" on Earth and represents the central role of knowledge and wisdom in life.

"Satan was the force of design that urged humanity toward refined pleasures of the Arts and Sciences," according the web site. "It was He who first brought the fruit of knowledge to Humankind that thereafter we might live not as naked brutes in the wild, but develop our cultural splendor into ever more aesthetically and technologically advanced heights."

Their gathering in Tallahassee will be a "satanic coming out," temple spokesperson Lucien Greaves told the Miami Helard's Naked Politics blog. "This is not a hoax. This is for real." More than 100 members are expected to attend the 1 p.m. rally.

Do you think that if a bunch of Satanic kids start leading public prayers to their Dark Overlord at graduation and before basketball games, anyone will object?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

hahahahaha. I love it. Just love it.

And yes. Objections everywhere.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

Yeah, depending on the way the prayers are worded, it's going to be a cluster. But part of their fundamental tenets is to not push your beliefs on others.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

Yeah not too concerned that a few Satanic students might share an inspirational message. An inspirational message means a positive one, so doubt they are going to get up and say something objectionable.

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1537

I think that is could be very interesting to hear what they have to say.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Yeah not too concerned that a few Satanic students might share an inspirational message. An inspirational message means a positive one, so doubt they are going to get up and say something objectionable.

Objectionable like "Let's all take a moment to hail Satan"? Biggrin

As an atheist I'm not sure why any religion needs to have public led prayers in schools, but if we're going to hear "praise Jesus" it's only fair that people have the option to say "Praise Satan" as well if they choose. I wonder what an atheist inspirational message would sound like? Carpe Diem, maybe. Smile

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Yeah not too concerned that a few Satanic students might share an inspirational message. An inspirational message means a positive one, so doubt they are going to get up and say something objectionable.

They could have inspirational messages as well.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Objectionable like "Let's all take a moment to hail Satan"? Biggrin

As an atheist I'm not sure why any religion needs to have public led prayers in schools, but if we're going to hear "praise Jesus" it's only fair that people have the option to say "Praise Satan" as well if they choose. I wonder what an atheist inspirational message would sound like? Carpe Diem, maybe. Smile

I don't think any religion needs public prayers in schools. Even Satanists. (though I'm getting a pretty good kick out of this article...hehe)

I think a nice atheist inspirational message could be a nice spot of reason and facts and personal perseverance and success. Or something great from one of the great atheists in science. Smile Like Hawking, Edison, Nobel or Sagan.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"Jessica80" wrote:

They could have inspirational messages as well.

Isn't that what I said?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Gloria~I may have misread your comment about how you doubt that a few Satanic students would share an inspirational message. I took it that you didn't think they could or would share anything of inspiration but since you said I misread I realize now you meant that you are not concerned about them not sharing their inspirational message. Sorry...I missed "internet tone" Smile

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

We should not limit the exercise of Religion unless it is overstepping someone elses right.. There is no right not to hear something. Wink I think it is fine. I totally disagree with Satanism, but in our Nation we should be allowed the freedom to pray where we want, and to whom we want. I not only think students should be allowed to but also teachers, not sure why to have certain jobs you have to loose your rights.. Ok I do understand someone somewhere thinks that allowing a teacher to pray out loud is indoctrinating their child... don't you think it is equally indoctrinating NOT to allow it.. don't you think there is such thing as indoctrination by omission?

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Rivergallery" wrote:

We should not limit the exercise of Religion unless it is overstepping someone elses right.. There is no right not to hear something. Wink I think it is fine. I totally disagree with Satanism, but in our Nation we should be allowed the freedom to pray where we want, and to whom we want. I not only think students should be allowed to but also teachers, not sure why to have certain jobs you have to loose your rights.. Ok I do understand someone somewhere thinks that allowing a teacher to pray out loud is indoctrinating their child... don't you think it is equally indoctrinating NOT to allow it.. don't you think there is such thing as indoctrination by omission?

No I don't think there is such a thing as indoctrinating by omission. If they are not doing anything how are the indoctrinating anything to anyone?

The issue was not whether it's ok to pray, but if it is ok for schools to lead a prayer (Did I misread this?). I could care less if Bob in room 294 is muttering a prayer to himself, but I do not want Mr. Bob, teacher in room 294 leading the kids in prayer.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6568

"smsturner" wrote:

No I don't think there is such a thing as indoctrinating by omission. If they are not doing anything how are the indoctrinating anything to anyone?

I have heard this argument in opposite before. Would you be ok with a school not teaching any early science for fear of offending people who are offended by Evolution? (not saying I agree or not, but explaining how you can indoctrinate by omission.)

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"smsturner" wrote:

No I don't think there is such a thing as indoctrinating by omission. If they are not doing anything how are the indoctrinating anything to anyone?

The issue was not whether it's ok to pray, but if it is ok for schools to lead a prayer (Did I misread this?). I could care less if Bob in room 294 is muttering a prayer to himself, but I do not want Mr. Bob, teacher in room 294 leading the kids in prayer.

OF course you can indoctrinate by omission! If you never tell a child NOT to touch the hot stove, you are implying that it is ok to touch the stove. You are teaching them something by not saying anything. If all the teachers are seemingly void of religion, then it devalues religion. And thus you are indoctrinating children to think that they have no spirituality. It isn't important, it isn't there, we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

The phrase "offended by evolution" makes me giggle.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I have heard this argument in opposite before. Would you be ok with a school not teaching any early science for fear of offending people who are offended by Evolution? (not saying I agree or not, but explaining how you can indoctrinate by omission.)

No. Because evolution is a scientific, proven fact. People are offended by racism and the awful things that happened in the US because of it. We still teach about racism and slavery because these are actual real facts. I want my kids to learn hard honest facts, regardless of what I believe.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Rivergallery" wrote:

OF course you can indoctrinate by omission! If you never tell a child NOT to touch the hot stove, you are implying that it is ok to touch the stove. You are teaching them something by not saying anything. If all the teachers are seemingly void of religion, then it devalues religion. And thus you are indoctrinating children to think that they have no spirituality. It isn't important, it isn't there, we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist.

They don't teach about birthday parties in school. Does that devalue them? Do they not think they exist?

Not bringing up something at all doesn't devaulue it. It doesn't teach them there is no spirituality at all. It just teaches them that school is not the place for it, nor the place to learn about it.

ETA: If school was the only place they ever were, THEN it would be teaching them that. Here, the kids leave school and go to their homes, and their churches or whatever. That is the place they learn about spirituality. There is no need to have it in school, just to prove it exists.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

"Rivergallery" wrote:

OF course you can indoctrinate by omission! If you never tell a child NOT to touch the hot stove, you are implying that it is ok to touch the stove. You are teaching them something by not saying anything. If all the teachers are seemingly void of religion, then it devalues religion. And thus you are indoctrinating children to think that they have no spirituality. It isn't important, it isn't there, we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist.

The problem with this is that it's not the teacher's or school's place to put value on any religion in the first place. Public schools should be a religion-free zone because no one is ever happy with someone else's religion. Keep them all out. Since Florida is unwilling to do that, then I'm happy the Satanists are planning to do their thing since everyone else gets to.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"smsturner" wrote:

They don't teach about birthday parties in school. Does that devalue them? Do they not think they exist?

Not bringing up something at all doesn't devaulue it. It doesn't teach them there is no spirituality at all. It just teaches them that school is not the place for it, nor the place to learn about it.

ETA: If school was the only place they ever were, THEN it would be teaching them that. Here, the kids leave school and go to their homes, and their churches or whatever. That is the place they learn about spirituality. There is no need to have it in school, just to prove it exists.

1- They don't teach about Birthday Parties? Most childrens readers have a Birthday Party topic in them, same with Christmas and Halloween. Also most schools allow children to bring cupcakes (store bought these days ) to school for birthdays. Not sure how it isn't taught about.

2- If it doesn't devalue it, lets not teach math or reading either.
Fact is the more you VALUE something the more you will teach about it. We want to teach our children the value of safe sex, we teach them about condoms and bcp. The more we value something the more we talk about it.

3- Why is it then some schools will talk about other religions ie Islam, but not Christianity??? I think if we are teaching our children, then teach them, Why not teach about religion? Simple.. it isn't a value held by the school, and community at large... and thus our government.

4-.. Children are in school or on their way to school (in "custody of the school") for about 8 hours a day... They are at school more than they are at home, not counting summers, which most children are in daycare, or camps and not at home because those same parents work full time. When do you think they have the time to learn and actually value what their parents value? When the percentage of time spent with family is less than that spent away, it is more difficult to impart to your child your values... SIMPLE MATHMATICS here. Not that you can't, not that your children won't grow up wonderful and be productive members of society, make you proud etc.. It is that it is simply harder... And why? Because of the TIME devoted to things.

-- Not sure why you disagree with me on this, it is simple.
-- I do understand why you want the schools to be religion free, but the fact remains by being religion free, they are not teaching religion. Ever hear about the fear of the unknown..? That is why some schools are teaching about Islam, so our "christian nation" is not scared of something they don't know and act irrationally.. same with the theory of sex ed, and on and on. Lets not talk about Race either. Lets not talk about gender preference.. Do you see my point?

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"Spacers" wrote:

The problem with this is that it's not the teacher's or school's place to put value on any religion in the first place. Public schools should be a religion-free zone because no one is ever happy with someone else's religion. Keep them all out. Since Florida is unwilling to do that, then I'm happy the Satanists are planning to do their thing since everyone else gets to.

I disagree, it is their place. They are putting value on every other aspect of our children's lives. And they are putting a value on religion.. that of little to NO value.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"smsturner" wrote:

No. Because evolution is a scientific, proven fact. People are offended by racism and the awful things that happened in the US because of it. We still teach about racism and slavery because these are actual real facts. I want my kids to learn hard honest facts, regardless of what I believe.

Well Potter this "evolution as scientific, proven fact" makes me giggle.. Truth is the Big Bang is not replicable, and actually it and species to species evolution are contrary to many laws of thermodynamics.. so we will just have to have a mutual giggle fest.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Rivergallery you seem pretty out of touch with what goes on at public schools so it is hard to debate this one with you. Kids don't have birthday parties at school anymore. But I think that you understood Susan's general point ~ I never told my kids to breathe. Does that mean I don't value breathing? Does that mean that by omission I was teaching them not to breathe? Of course not.

I don't understand your statement about not teaching reading or math. That is the purpose of schools. And public schools are not supposed to VALUE religion.......you know, according to the constitution you are always going on about?

I disagree with you that working parents have a much harder time imparting their values to their children. I think that that is a very unfair statement to make.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Well Potter this "evolution as scientific, proven fact" makes me giggle.. Truth is the Big Bang is not replicable, and actually it and species to species evolution are contrary to many laws of thermodynamics.. so we will just have to have a mutual giggle fest.

Super! I never said evolution was proven fact. I know its a theory. I just can't imagine being offended by a theory. I don't know who said anything about the Big Bang, that isn't what I believe, but that is great info about it! Thank you!

I am SO OFFENDED by gravity! Freaking gravity?!?!?! Who does gravity think it is??? Or, That Newton and his Laws of Motion are SO OFFENSIVE and hurtful! I can't believe how those theories looked at me! As$hat theories! Always being so offensive, and people, like STUDYING them, and trying to LEARN and stuff. SO.RUDE, that science. So offensive.

Its just funny. The idea of offensive theories. You'd have to be super, super sensitive, I guess.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6568

"smsturner" wrote:

Because evolution is a scientific, proven fact.

I do think the place to teach Christianity is at home and in church, but I did want to point out that this statement is incorrect. Theory is not the same as fact.

"Potter75" wrote:

Kids don't have birthday parties at school anymore.

This must also very by region. Kids here, even in Public school have birthday parties.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

They have birthday parties AT school? Jeez. No wonder TN is so low academically Sad What a waste of time.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6568

"Potter75" wrote:

They have birthday parties AT school? Jeez. No wonder TN is so low academically Sad What a waste of time.

Seriously? I have never heard this POV before. My nieces and nephews go to school in NY (Private schools, with high scores) and I think they still have birthday parties. I would have to double check, but last I knew they did.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"Potter75" wrote:

Rivergallery you seem pretty out of touch with what goes on at public schools so it is hard to debate this one with you. Kids don't have birthday parties at school anymore. But I think that you understood Susan's general point ~ I never told my kids to breathe. Does that mean I don't value breathing? Does that mean that by omission I was teaching them not to breathe? Of course not.

I don't understand your statement about not teaching reading or math. That is the purpose of schools. And public schools are not supposed to VALUE religion.......you know, according to the constitution you are always going on about?

I disagree with you that working parents have a much harder time imparting their values to their children. I think that that is a very unfair statement to make.

1- I am not out of touch. Different schools do it differently. Our local ps does still have birthday parties at school.
2- They have no choice but to breathe to live, and I disagree that no one tells them the value of CLEAN AIR.
3- You don't understand.. not sure how much plainer I can get, our SCHOOLS value math and reading as part of our childrens education, they do not think religion has value enough to teach the child so it isn't taught. It used to be taught and valued, it isn't anymore. Separation of Church and State is NOT in the constitution.. maybe YOU need to reread it ;).
4- TIME is important to raising your child, the more time you are not with your child the less time you have to impart your values on them. Simple truth. Does FAIR equal Truth? NOPE, not sure I care if it is fair, it is true.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Why would you think I was kidding? Yes, I would be super annoyed if my sons class celebrated 16 birthday parties throughout the year. It's school not happy hour. Birthday parties happen at home.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

"Rivergallery" wrote:

1- They don't teach about Birthday Parties? Most childrens readers have a Birthday Party topic in them, same with Christmas and Halloween. Also most schools allow children to bring cupcakes (store bought these days ) to school for birthdays. Not sure how it isn't taught about.

2- If it doesn't devalue it, lets not teach math or reading either.
Fact is the more you VALUE something the more you will teach about it. We want to teach our children the value of safe sex, we teach them about condoms and bcp. The more we value something the more we talk about it.

3- Why is it then some schools will talk about other religions ie Islam, but not Christianity??? I think if we are teaching our children, then teach them, Why not teach about religion? Simple.. it isn't a value held by the school, and community at large... and thus our government.

4-.. Children are in school or on their way to school (in "custody of the school") for about 8 hours a day... They are at school more than they are at home, not counting summers, which most children are in daycare, or camps and not at home because those same parents work full time. When do you think they have the time to learn and actually value what their parents value? When the percentage of time spent with family is less than that spent away, it is more difficult to impart to your child your values... SIMPLE MATHMATICS here. Not that you can't, not that your children won't grow up wonderful and be productive members of society, make you proud etc.. It is that it is simply harder... And why? Because of the TIME devoted to things.

-- Not sure why you disagree with me on this, it is simple.
-- I do understand why you want the schools to be religion free, but the fact remains by being religion free, they are not teaching religion. Ever hear about the fear of the unknown..? That is why some schools are teaching about Islam, so our "christian nation" is not scared of something they don't know and act irrationally.. same with the theory of sex ed, and on and on. Lets not talk about Race either. Lets not talk about gender preference.. Do you see my point?

You know, for someone who isn't even involved in the public school system, you seem to think you know a lot about it.
#1. Schools don't teach about birthday parties. They observe them.
#2. Math & reading are exactly what public school is supposed to be teaching, and supposed to be valuing. Religion is not a teachable subject in a public school, therefore it should have little to no value in a public school.
#3 Public schools do NOT teach about other religions. They *do* teach about other cultures.
#4 Wow. What a horrible insult to working parents. Does your husband believe that he can't possibly impart his values to his children because he works a full-time job? I don't believe that. And perhaps *you* should go back to school, public or otherwise, because your spelling & grammar in that paragraph are atrocious.

ETA about birthdays: in our school, we have one birthday party to celebrate all the birthdays in that month, and one at the end of school to celebrate the coming summer birthdays. It seems the same in the other public schools in our neighborhood so it might be a district policy, and I don't know about the private schools.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Rivergallery" wrote:

1- I am not out of touch. Different schools do it differently. Our local ps does still have birthday parties at school.
2- They have no choice but to breathe to live, and I disagree that no one tells them the value of CLEAN AIR.
3- You don't understand.. not sure how much plainer I can get, our SCHOOLS value math and reading as part of our childrens education, they do not think religion has value enough to teach the child so it isn't taught. It used to be taught and valued, it isn't anymore. Separation of Church and State is NOT in the constitution.. maybe YOU need to reread it ;).
4- TIME is important to raising your child, the more time you are not with your child the less time you have to impart your values on them. Simple truth. Does FAIR equal Truth? NOPE, not sure I care if it is fair, it is true.

Meh- the time thing goes both ways. The more you are with /isolate/shelter your kid the more you can screw them up too Smile I've seen it. They don't "absence makes the heart grow fonder" for nothin!

I guess we just really disagree on all of this.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

"Rivergallery" wrote:

3- You don't understand.. not sure how much plainer I can get, our SCHOOLS value math and reading as part of our childrens education, they do not think religion has value enough to teach the child so it isn't taught. It used to be taught and valued, it isn't anymore. Separation of Church and State is NOT in the constitution.. maybe YOU need to reread it ;).

Since when is the First Amendment not part of the Constitution?

I don't think anyone is arguing that religion can't have value to some people. We're just saying it doesn't belong in a public school. If you value religion, you teach it to your children.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6568

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I believe she might mean (correct me if I am wrong) that the phrase "Separation of Church and State" does not appear in the Constitution.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4103

The phrase "executive order" also doesn't appear in the Constitution but that doesn't mean the underlying concept isn't there, or that the phrase hasn't come into general use in the 230+ years since the Constitution was written.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I believe she might mean (correct me if I am wrong) that the phrase "Separation of Church and State" does not appear in the Constitution.

Nor did I say it did. Anywhere.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I believe she might mean (correct me if I am wrong) that the phrase "Separation of Church and State" does not appear in the Constitution.

No, but the concept is certainly there. Smile

Anyway, I'm another that thinks that it is not the school's job to teach "the value of religion." I think you would have a valid complaint if schools were actively telling kids "Religion is NOT valuable." That would be a bad thing; public schools, as publically funded government institutions, are supposed to remain neutral on the whole religion thing. I also don't think that having teachers talk to your kids about religion is what you all really want anyway. Just from all of the ladies on this board that are Christian, many of you disagree about what seems like fairly basic stuff - Rivergallery thinks it's biblical to encourage people to hurt your enemies, Jessica80 disagrees, Jessica80 and Potter75 think that gay marriage and abortion should be legal, Gloria and Bonita and Rivergallery disagree, and so on....even if your teachers were all Christian, that doesn't mean that they'd be teaching the flavor of Christianity that you personally value - what a nightmare for the teachers to be expected to make all y'all happy on that front. And then you'll have teachers who *don't* value religion. My DH is a teacher, and he's a good one, judging by the comments from the kids, parents, and his fellow teachers and admin. We have been out in public several times when a parent has approached him to tell him how much their child enjoys his class, how he has made a difference in their education, et cetera. I think it's fair to say that for at least some small portion of the kids he teaches, he is influential. He's also a big old atheist - do you really want your kid's favorite teacher talking to them about why he thinks religion is a lie? Probably not, right? And you know what, you'd be right! It's not his place to tell your kids what they should believe in, or try to influence them into believing what he believes. His job is to teach them about literature and metaphors and how to write effectively. I bet you'd like him to just keep on doing that, right? Right.

If you value religion, that's great. Be sure and tell your kids all about that, in your home, and in your church, and at family gatherings and whatnot. 'Cause school doesn't exist to tell them that. School has other things to do today.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

It's one thing to say that they aren't going to teach religion, but it is another to say that students have to check their religion at the schoolhouse door. Students should be able to give whatever inspirational messages or prayers that they want to, even if they are Satanist prayers.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

It's one thing to say that they aren't going to teach religion, but it is another to say that students have to check their religion at the schoolhouse door. Students should be able to give whatever inspirational messages or prayers that they want to, even if they are Satanist prayers.

Yeah, I'm actually more surprised that this needed a law signed by Rick Scott. I actually thought that it was a given in most places that students (not teachers or admin, but students) were allowed to pray or do whatever as long as:

a) they aren't being disruptive (like loudly praying when others are trying to take a test) and
b) there isn't confusion about whether their actions are officially "school sanctioned." What I mean by that is I know that there have been questions before about whether (for example) cheerleaders are allowed to hold up religious banners at games while acting in their "official capacity" as cheerleaders. Are they representing the school at that point, in which case it wouldn't be allowed, or are they representing themselves, in which case it would?

So I know there are grey areas like that, but for the most part I thought that students already had this right. Which I agree with, by the way, as long as they aren't being disruptive or being bullies about it (like singling other kids out to tell them they are going to hell, or whatever.) Christian, Atheist, Jewish, Buddhist, Satanist, I'm fine with kids practicing their religion (or lack there of) in school within reasonable perimeters.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

I think it is this part. I know that there have been problems in the past with students praying at football games and things even it is done by a student.

allow students to read inspirational messages of their choosing at assemblies and sporting events

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I'm fine with kids praying at school, sporting events before the event. I'm fine with them inviting others to join if they want. I do not support a local clergy or the coach leading the prayer. I do not support it over the announcements in the morning.